Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

50 grand is "hi-fi speakers in a properly articulated room" territory. I can see their appeal but at that point there are so many other options available. I guess if you're shopping for ultra flagships money really isn't a thing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If I was a multi-millionaire, I would buy a pair of those Orpheus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I was a billionaire, I'd buy every single one they made and destroy them all. :smugdog:

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Sounds like the stage is set for a really lame bidding war in these parallel fantasies.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

KillHour posted:

If I was a billionaire, I'd buy every single one they made and destroy them all. :smugdog:

If I were a billionaire I'd buy them all, but remove the drivers and replace them with Beats drivers and sell them to audiophiles for a handsome profit

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

KillHour posted:

Well, if I was a billionaire, I'd buy Sennheiser and declare bankruptcy. :boom:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If I was a billionaire I'd be too busy with hookers and blow to care what Sennheiser is doing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Looking for recommendations:

Budget - $350 or so, less is ok too. More would require a good reason :)
Source - iPhone for the most part. Maybe a Surface Pro.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation is very important - noise cancelling. These are primarily used for long flights.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, comfort is key.
Past Headphones - Right now, Bose QC25. I like them, but I'm starting to have problems with what sounds like a loose connection internally, and want to replace them.
Preferred Music - Rock/Classic Rock but a little of everything.
Hi, still looking for recommendations on this.

I saw in the intervening pages a recommendation for the Oppo PM-3, which looks interesting, but it's $400 MSRP and seems to be selling for more than that, and it doesn't prioritize isolation.

Should I just buy another pair of Bose?

Pursus
Nov 27, 2007

Hook on!

Krakkles posted:

Hi, still looking for recommendations on this.

I saw in the intervening pages a recommendation for the Oppo PM-3, which looks interesting, but it's $400 MSRP and seems to be selling for more than that, and it doesn't prioritize isolation.

Should I just buy another pair of Bose?

IEMs will give you the most isolation by far, but if they are not comfortable then that's out.

For closed cans, generally the tighter they clamp the better they isolate, so your two most important things (comfort/isolation) are kind of at odds, you're going to have to make a bit of a judgement call there. Also, I think leather/pleather pads isolate better than velour/foam. Still, as long as they are closed and are big enough to get a good seal I think you'll be fine because it's pretty easy to drown out what's left of cabin noise after it makes its way through a closed can. Your mileage may vary.

Here is a list of headphones that have been tested by innerfidelity. When you look at the graphs, look at the top-right graph that says isolation and you can compare one headphone to another. The lower the line goes, the better it isolates. As you can see: The closed OPPO PM3 isolates quite a bit better than the the open Senn HD650, as expected. That will at least give you a pretty good idea of how each one isolates.

As far as the sound, it's usually a matter of personal taste once you start getting up to that price point. I haven't heard the OPPOs, but according to the reviews I read they are exceptional for the price.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
If I want to blow a hundred dollars on two to three pairs of IEMs for general use, with the expectation that they will eventually be destroyed by happenstance or maltreatment, what brand would be the best?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

If I want to blow a hundred dollars on two to three pairs of IEMs for general use, with the expectation that they will eventually be destroyed by happenstance or maltreatment, what brand would be the best?

Koss aren't terrible and have lifetime, no questions asked warranties.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pursus posted:

IEMs will give you the most isolation by far, but if they are not comfortable then that's out.

For closed cans, generally the tighter they clamp the better they isolate, so your two most important things (comfort/isolation) are kind of at odds, you're going to have to make a bit of a judgement call there. Also, I think leather/pleather pads isolate better than velour/foam. Still, as long as they are closed and are big enough to get a good seal I think you'll be fine because it's pretty easy to drown out what's left of cabin noise after it makes its way through a closed can. Your mileage may vary.

Here is a list of headphones that have been tested by innerfidelity. When you look at the graphs, look at the top-right graph that says isolation and you can compare one headphone to another. The lower the line goes, the better it isolates. As you can see: The closed OPPO PM3 isolates quite a bit better than the the open Senn HD650, as expected. That will at least give you a pretty good idea of how each one isolates.

As far as the sound, it's usually a matter of personal taste once you start getting up to that price point. I haven't heard the OPPOs, but according to the reviews I read they are exceptional for the price.
Thank you!

I'm looking at innerfidelity now and finding it very helpful.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Endless Mike posted:

Koss aren't terrible and have lifetime, no questions asked warranties.

Thanks chief.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey y'all. I purchased some Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pros, and I'm just wondering what I should get to drive them? Thanks!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
What's your budget? What's your source?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Usually 320Kbps audio from Spotify premium off my computer, if that's what you mean. If there's some kind of subscription service that offers lossless streaming, I guess I would spring for that. I have incredibly fast internet so bandwidth is not a concern but I like being able to stream whatever at a whim without having a huge local library. I used to keep a lossless library, like a decade ago, but those days are over!

Budget is flexible but I like value where I can get it. I know a lot of audiophile stuff is negligible returns after a certain price point.

Let's just put it this way, I have good ears and appreciate good quality sound, but really not trying to break the bank for a small gain by any means.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 6, 2015

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh wow I forgot one more crucial detail. They are the 250 ohm version.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Cheap choices would include Magni 2 or Asgard 2, both by Schiit. I had a Objective2 for years driving the same cans you have, and they're great as well. I switched to a Dangerous Source a couple years back for that workstation, but that was out of the flexibility it gave me rather than some huge leap in fidelity.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks I appreciate it. Do you think I can stick with 320 kbps audio or do you really think lossless is worth it?

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
320kbps should be fine for most things.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah 320kbps should be more than enough.

Premature ejacula- posted:

If I were a billionaire I'd buy them all, but remove the drivers and replace them with Beats drivers and sell them to audiophiles for a handsome profit

That would be amazing.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 6, 2015

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Awesome! DT990s have been my favorite cans thus far. What are you driving them with?

Right now, a 5.1 reciever... I don't have an amp and I don't know what to get that doesn't break the bank.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Taima posted:

Thanks I appreciate it. Do you think I can stick with 320 kbps audio or do you really think lossless is worth it?
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Right now, a 5.1 reciever... I don't have an amp and I don't know what to get that doesn't break the bank.
schiit stack or odac+o2 is the usual rec. I prefer the o2 but whatever floats your boat

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just got a Magni 2 to use with my HD 580s and it makes all the difference in the world. The silent parts of songs are silent now, as in "you mas as well have the headphones unplugged" silent. Having an amp made a bigger difference that I thought. It's not just louder, it really does sound better.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks guys! Just grabbed the Magni 2.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I like to watch shows and movies on a phone or tablet while I'm playing games on my laptop. Is it possible to listen to the sound from both on a single set of headphones? Some sort of Y-cable/equivalent device would be ideal.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
You can get a portable mixer from Behringer for like $30-$50 dollars. Don't expect it to have great fidelity, though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if RHA's headphones are any good? I wanna buy some slightly more expensive (in ear) headphones because I've gotten through 10+ pairs of cheap £15-20 ones in the past few years and these apparently have 3 year warranty. I've never really heard of them though.

I was looking at these two pairs. They're maybe on the cheaper end of their products I guess but I think they'd be a pretty big upgrade from what I've been using up to this point

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I like to watch shows and movies on a phone or tablet while I'm playing games on my laptop. Is it possible to listen to the sound from both on a single set of headphones? Some sort of Y-cable/equivalent device would be ideal.

Get a cable to plug the headphone out into the line in on your laptop.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if RHA's headphones are any good? I wanna buy some slightly more expensive (in ear) headphones because I've gotten through 10+ pairs of cheap £15-20 ones in the past few years and these apparently have 3 year warranty. I've never really heard of them though.

I was looking at these two pairs. They're maybe on the cheaper end of their products I guess but I think they'd be a pretty big upgrade from what I've been using up to this point

RHA's headphones are pretty good audio wise and near bullet-proof build quality wise. The MA600 and MA750 have pretty different sound signatures, the MA600 is much more bassy.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I bought a pair of ma750i early this year due to glowing reviews and reading about how indestructible it is.

The good news is that it's still going strong(cables are pretty thick) except for the middle button of the remote which is kinda depress permanently which makes it impossible to skip tracks.

I went to their support page and filled their form and till now(1 week later), I still haven't gotten a reply from them. I've since contacted them again and hopefully they would respond.

What's the point of the 3 years warranty when they won't respond to you right? Of course, YMMV as plenty of people on Reddit have gotten an exchange from them without any issues.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks, I guess I'll go for it - I just wanted to make sure since I hadn't really heard of RHA before. It's good to hear they're pretty durable! It'll be nice to have headphones that last more than 3-6 months.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So this might be a bit of a stretch for the headphone thread, but here goes anyway:

I'm moving in with the fiancee and I've unloaded all my stereo equipment except for my turntable. I plan to listen to records on my headphones for a while, until we find space to set a proper (smaller) stereo up.
I'm looking for suggestions for a headphone amp and a phono preamp. They could be one in the same unit (if that's even a thing). New/used/vintage doesn't really matter to me, I'm just looking for a good value.
I don't have a set budget, but I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

I'll probably be listening mostly with my ATH-M70x, but I might occasionally switch to the AKG K240's, Sennheisers, or even the Beats depending on the record.

Edit: I just stumbled upon this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/PS-Audio-SPROUT-US-Digital-Bluetooth/dp/B00R3CRY6Q

Looks pretty versatile. Bluetooth is a little gimmicky and probably useless for me at the moment, but all in all it seems like a reasonable thing.
Opinions?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 9, 2015

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
The schiit mani is supposed to be a good preamp and the magni is a good amp

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The Musical Fidelity V90-LPS is an fantastic phono stage for the money and supports both MM & MC. The Magni is a great amp for the price, as well.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Are there any good wireless IEMs yet?

Edit: this gets asked every few pages and nooope

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 10, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sennheiser G3 systems are absolutely great if you have a grand to spend for a stage wireless setup.

If you mean like consumer bluetooth models then yeah no. I doubt there ever will be unless someone can make a decent audio codec stick, SBC is really bad even when implemented well (it is never implemented well). Too bad aptX never caught on.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm looking for wireless + noise cancelling headphones for use with an iPhone and an Android phone (edit: And also my PC when playing games). Wireless is an absolute requirement.

~$350 is the most I'd like to spend as I'll be buying a pair for my SO too.

I tried a friend's Parrot Zik 1.0 headphones and liked them a lot. I debated buying the Zik 2.0, but I see the 3.0 is coming soon (supposedly). Any reason I shouldn't wait until the Zik 3.0 is out and buy a pair?

Steer me elsewhere now if you feel strongly the Ziks are crap, otherwise I think I'll be happy with them :shrug:.

Edit: With a bit more research, I'm worried about battery life. I want to use these for flying and 6 hours isn't enough. Of course, you can use them wired to save batter life, but I want them to be wireless!

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 10, 2015

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Would the M50x or V-Moda M-100 be better?

Would I need a headphone amp for them?

Mainly using them out of a laptop or an iphone. I currently have the Crossfade-LP from V-Moda and I really like the fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolem
May 21, 2014

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

LTBS posted:

Would the M50x or V-Moda M-100 be better?

Would I need a headphone amp for them?

Mainly using them out of a laptop or an iphone. I currently have the Crossfade-LP from V-Moda and I really like the fit.

I've spent a good amount of time with both, have the m100, and prefer it. Neither should benefit from an amp. There's also the ath msr7 which is between those two in price and sound.