Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Once again I lose another run on the flooded caves because I can't see the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
If the scapegoat touches a red poop it immediately dies and your run is over.
So you might as well just reset if you get a scarred womb.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CobaltStreak just got all three of these in a breaking run in The Chest and nothing happened. I'm super disappointed.

Edit: Nevermind, he just got a second Dark Bum and it worked. I think what happened is he got the first Dark Bum via Cambian Conception which doesn't actually count as picking up the item.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 4, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Uh I guess you have to get to Mega Satan via the Dark Room in the I Rule challenge? Beat Isaac and went into the chest and it just ended.

EDIT: Oh I probably picked up the Negative by mistake. Oh well.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

If the scapegoat touches a red poop it immediately dies and your run is over.
So you might as well just reset if you get a scarred womb.

I had that dumb dildo eat it on blue fire in angel room before. That challenge is garbage.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't get the interaction between scapegoat and isaac's heart

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rorus Raz posted:

I don't get the interaction between scapegoat and isaac's heart

Usually they don't interact at all, but The Guardian challenge makes Isaac's Heart follow the scapegoat buddy instead of you, and instead of the scapegoat just drawing enemy aggro, it does that AND also takes damage due to having the heart's properties. Outside of the challenge that doesn't happen iirc.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

RatHat posted:

Uh I guess you have to get to Mega Satan via the Dark Room in the I Rule challenge? Beat Isaac and went into the chest and it just ended.

EDIT: Oh I probably picked up the Negative by mistake. Oh well.

Yeah, the icons under your coins/bombs/keys stats shows you what the final boss fight needs to be for each Chaalenge. hosed if I could tell you what each one looks like or means, but it should give you some idea. And if you start with Dads' Key then you can expect to have to go through the big door at the end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, THAT'S what that high heel symbol means.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thread Challenge: Beat Greed mode without picking up any coins.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just had my first go at a Greed Mode run using the IV bag.

:laffo:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I think this ARG thing is cool. There's plenty of content in the expansion already, I don't care that he's releasing "the other half" (not actually half, but that's how people are acting) in a patch. I've been playing way more than is healthy and I only just did all the Greed mode content and most of the new challenges. I've barely touched the regular game on hard mode and there's hundreds of hours of content there.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This game was tested really well!

There's no exit. No, I'm not standing too close.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Grapplejack posted:

Thread Challenge: Beat Greed mode without picking up any coins.

Well I thought about a no item run on it to see how much the boss scales if at all based on your items. But I'm not sure I hate myself that much.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

omeg posted:

This game was tested really well!

There's no exit. No, I'm not standing too close.

Exit the game and reopen it?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can anyone recommend a streamer for this game that isn't Cobaltstreak? I tried to stick it out because he's really good at this game but he has to be one of the most insufferable pricks on the internet.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Doltos posted:

Can anyone recommend a streamer for this game that isn't Cobaltstreak? I tried to stick it out because he's really good at this game but he has to be one of the most insufferable pricks on the internet.

There's that other guy, Northernlion, who has like 100,000 hours played and is pretty palatable as far as I know.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Doltos posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/lethalfrag maybe?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gromit posted:

Yeah, the icons under your coins/bombs/keys stats shows you what the final boss fight needs to be for each Chaalenge. hosed if I could tell you what each one looks like or means, but it should give you some idea. And if you start with Dads' Key then you can expect to have to go through the big door at the end.

Speaking of that, do you need Dad's Key/The Key pieces every time you want to fight Mega-Satan or just to unlock the door the first time?

Alabaster White posted:

There's that other guy, Northernlion, who has like 100,000 hours played and is pretty palatable as far as I know.

When Rebirth came out he put out like 24 videos a day, that guy loving loves BoI.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
20/20 ipecac godhead abbadon infestation 2 guppy transformation lost run

loving SAVE CRASHES ON GOD drat ENTERING THE HUSH ROOM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Northernlion if you want someone who isn't very good at the game but very charismatic, Bisnap if you want someone who is infinitely knowledgeable about the game but much more serious and thorough.

e: also this dude was linked earlier, and he also seems very knowledgeable and good at the game while also having the best accent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSWSifZp9T0

e2: was lethalfrag at A/SGDQ? He looks familiar.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 4, 2015

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Currently has a cat running around while he plays so I am seconding this just on that alone.

I also like RockLeeSmile.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Cobalt exploded at someone who just said something along the lines of "Come on, start a run!" When he was just sitting on the title screen for ten minutes.

"Hey why don't you just gently caress off? That's what I do when I don't like something I'm watching, just gently caress off and do something else."

That kinda thing turns me off to a streamer. He can get away with it because he has so many viewers, but come on. Northernlion is so entertaining though. He only streams a few times a week for a few hours, but he's got endless YouTube videos.

Edit: And yes, Rockleesmile is Northernlion's regular co-host. He's a little more serious and likes to philosophize about things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What is in the bottom left corner of the completion post-it on the character select? I haven't had any characters complete whatever it is yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think Mega Satan goes there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

CJacobs posted:

What is in the bottom left corner of the completion post-it on the character select? I haven't had any characters complete whatever it is yet.

Mega Satan

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Also worth noting that his symbol is the Brimstone symbol (alchemical symbol for Sulfur), and if a challenge has that icon then that does indeed mean you need to kill Mega Satan.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Ugh I thought I'd knock a few challenges out since I've been slacking and, well, Suicide King is a lot more difficult now that narrow rooms are a thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Got it, thanks. A friend of mine was wondering and I didn't have an answer for them. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I forget, could you skip Mega Satan's summoning phases and go straight to his final phase by just nuking him into oblivion back in Rebirth? Because you can't do that in Afterbirth. Dealing large amounts of damage to him just has him skip straight to summoning whatever instead of skipping to his final phase. Might be the same bit of code used to cap your damage output on Hush and Ultra Greed.

Incidentally, Mega Satan only unlocks baby skins. They don't even do anything special in coop. Not even the Lost's baby unlock. :geno:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

I forget, could you skip Mega Satan's summoning phases and go straight to his final phase by just nuking him into oblivion back in Rebirth? Because you can't do that in Afterbirth. Dealing large amounts of damage to him just has him skip straight to summoning whatever instead of skipping to his final phase. Might be the same bit of code used to cap your damage output on Hush and Ultra Greed.

Incidentally, Mega Satan only unlocks baby skins. They don't even do anything special in coop. Not even the Lost's baby unlock. :geno:

Pretty sure he always went phase to phase. You could end every phase in a millisecond, but it would never skip anything so you'd always have to fight all the horsemen etc.

As for the babies... Guess I feel a lot less motivated to get Realest Real Platinum God this time around :geno: With this and the lack of playtesting, it kinda feels like they released the expansion a year early.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

I thought he got different attacks in Afterbirth, but maybe this is the case instead. Whenever I did fight him in Rebirth, I was super overpowered.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Technology + Monstro's Lung drops your tear delay cap to 4 instead of the usual 5 (and also doesn't require you to charge for laser shotgun blasts). Not too exciting on its own except that adding Eve's Mascara to the mix halves your tear delay instead of doubling it for some reason, giving you a ridiculous fire rate on par with tech 2 but as a random (one always goes straight) spread of lasers. And you keep the damage bonus from Eve's Mascara.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BJPaskoff posted:

Cobalt exploded at someone who just said something along the lines of "Come on, start a run!" When he was just sitting on the title screen for ten minutes.

"Hey why don't you just gently caress off? That's what I do when I don't like something I'm watching, just gently caress off and do something else."

That kinda thing turns me off to a streamer. He can get away with it because he has so many viewers, but come on. Northernlion is so entertaining though. He only streams a few times a week for a few hours, but he's got endless YouTube videos.

Edit: And yes, Rockleesmile is Northernlion's regular co-host. He's a little more serious and likes to philosophize about things.

Yeah so far what I got from his stream is he gets super offended at people making suggestions and calls them backseat gaming, his mods ban any criticisms, and he yells these stupid catchphrases every time he gets a subscriber. What made me turn it off was him eating this spicy chicken that he kept slurping and saying 'so spicy' every few seconds. Someone asked him to stop slurping and play the game and he freaked out and the dude got banned. I hate critical mass streamers because they almost always turn into primma donnas.

I'll give Northernlion a shot. I'm really looking for talented players though because I'm not that great at this game and I'm trying to improve.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Surprise, the guy that streams a single video game almost 24/7 for a living is a big jerk.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I greatly prefer Richard Hammer because he's super chill and a lot funnier than Cobalt, but I also don't think Cobalt is nearly as bad as you make him sound. His catchphrase poo poo is dumb but getting mad at him when he wasn't really even yelling at a chat that has been beset with trolls for multiple days seems a little unfair. His mods are also probably cracking down because they've had like 20k+ viewers, a lot of whom follow the general pattern of chats in large Twitch streams and become some of the worst people imaginable under the guise of anonymity.

Anyway, as for other recommendations, I know the weekly series of Balls of Steel races just finished up, but you could follow that for Isaac races using various mods (Judas D6, Divinity, I guess whatever they make for Afterbirth stuff) whenever they start up again: http://www.twitch.tv/bostv

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 4, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GuavaMoment posted:

On that note, why do people hate Speed! so much? I failed my first run only because I didn't know there was a time limit, then beat it on the 2nd try.
If you do not get strong enough items you cannot complete it fast enough. Holding R repeatedly is not fun.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

IronicDongz posted:

If you do not get strong enough items you cannot complete it fast enough. Holding R repeatedly is not fun.

At least Speed ends quickly if you gently caress it up. Every Brains! run I've done has lasted 40-70 minutes, and I always get chipped away at The Womb or at Isaac. I used to really like Bob's Brain too, but the change they made to where it fires from blows poo poo. The lag on it when you enter a room is painful until you get some kind of familiar or orbital you can use for the first 5 seconds of every room. It would also be nice to somehow be able to get more brains over the course of the challenge. Waiting for them to respawn is annoying.

It's not really like the brains do a poo poo ton of damage anyway. So unless you have a build where you can tank with your face then it's not likely you'll win.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IronicDongz posted:

When you do get a good damage item, you're in a dumb 4x4 room trying to hit little spiders moving doubletime with Ipecac shots and poo poo. I finally beat it starting out with The Mind, getting Brimstone on the Caves 2, and finishing with like 6 minutes to spare. Seriously, gently caress that challenge. And I say that as someone who could beat Onan's Streak and Brains! on my first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Yo hey a patch just dropped!