Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some nerds somewhere did something similar with Dorn leading the Heresy. I just googled it and it turns out the Blood Angels turned to Nurgle, Raven Guard to Tzeentch, White Scars to Slaanesh, and Space Wolves to Khorne with the Imperial Fists acting as the Black Legion equivalent. I'm sure the usual pattern continues and there are a few more undivided legions. Though the Ultramarines got cut off from the Imperium and became their own thing.

Some nerd on 1d4chan posted:

In the end, the Space Wolves fell to Khorne, the Blood Angels fell to Nurgle (ironic, given the actual novels imply that they would've fallen to Khorne, if anyone), the White Scars fell to Slaanesh, the Raven Guard fell to Tzeentch, the Salamanders fell to Malal, and Rogal Dorn himself was the arch-traitor, with his Imperial Fists supporting Chaos Undivided (renaming themselves the Black Legion after the failure of the Heresy). The Ultramarines did not fall to Chaos, but instead became Reasonable Marines; they seceded from the Imperium alongside much of the Ultima Segmentum, and now exemplify progress while fighting off the Tau. The Iron Hands seem to have gotten mixed up with the Necrons, while the Fallen Angels won out over the loyalist Dark Angels.

On the Imperial side, the Word Bearers became the Ecclesiarchy, the Iron Warriors remained siege masters, the Sons of Horus became the crusading Black Templars, the Emperor's Children remained exemplary perfectionists (except for Fabius Bile, but he's dead now... maybe), the Thousand Sons became blind psychic warriors (see: Grey Knights), the Death Guard became the core of the Inquisition, the World Eaters became serious instead of angry, the Night Lords remained loyal Scary Marines, and the Alpha Legion were just as sneaky and just as anti-Ultramarine, but still loyal (apparently the Cabal wasn't that convincing in the Dornian Heresy).
Could be interesting to read about, but it was a Bolter & Chainsword thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Shockeh posted:

If you want to be really baller, do the one my friends & perpetually circle around; The 'What If' scenario, where Roboute Gulliman led the Heresy with Imperium Secundus (tainted by Chaos, naturally), and Horus led the Loyalists. It's quite interesting to picture how each Legion would look if they'd been the other way around.

(We decided that in this alternate timelime, after Roboute is killed by the Emperor, they rename themselves the 'Alabaster Legion' and go White/Silver/Pale Blue details in response.)

E: Even better, picture what some of the Chaos Legions would look like now if they'd remained Loyalist; Post-Heresy Loyalist Night Lords look cool as gently caress.

Bolter and Chainsword had something like this called the Dornian Heresy, it was similar to what you're talking about and actually pretty cool.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ok yeah this poo poo is awesome. I am more excited thinking about this than anything in the canon.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Esser-Z posted:

I really wish the hard plastic Sicarians were like... half the price. Hell, thirty bucks would tempt me. They look really loving cool, as do the Skitarii, but I just can't justify the price. :/

I remember having a couple decent matchups with non-formation Tau vs 30k. I was Tau and won both times, but I tended to beat that friend anyway, heh.

Sicarians über alles (i really should've done them as infiltrators, but that's for the future!)

UPDATE: finished the entire squad, other than basing

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 3, 2015

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Frobbe posted:

Sicarians über alles (i really should've done them as infiltrators, but that's for the future!)

See, I really want those models, but I don't want to pay 40+ dollars for them. Ugh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Slimnoid posted:

How would that even work? Some of the traitor legions I could see being pulled back from the edge, but Night Lords were pretty hosed from the get-go.

Night Lords: basically, Batman rather than psychopath Batman.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

How would that even work? Some of the traitor legions I could see being pulled back from the edge, but Night Lords were pretty hosed from the get-go.

Night Lords acting like night-time Raven Guard, Raven Guard acting like daylight Night Lords.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Esser-Z posted:

See, I really want those models, but I don't want to pay 40+ dollars for them. Ugh.

So get them for 20% from the Warstore.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SRM posted:

Yeah, thinking about it, 20% off gets them just below some kind of mental threshold. I'll probably pick up a box at some point.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SRM posted:

Esser has been waffling about purchasing a sicarian kit all night in #tinypewtermen while i have been posting progress pics of mine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Esser-Z posted:

Yeah, thinking about it, 20% off gets them just below some kind of mental threshold. I'll probably pick up a box at some point.

Well if you do now you can save a few bucks:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Karl Rove posted:

As someone interested purely in beer-and-pretzels hamming and who has made the tragic decision to play super unoptimized Grey Knights, I'm hoping that my army isn't going to be either totally useless or a pain in the rear end to play against as my opponents in the near future.

Don't be a dick to your 30k opponent, otherwise next time you'll be facing Word Bearers with the Dark Brethen rite of war and a Mhara Gal dreadnought curbstomping everything that smells of psyker :3:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SRM posted:

Nnnnot going to be spending that kind of cash right now. I'll pick up the kit eventually, but not immediately.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

Don't be a dick to your 30k opponent, otherwise next time you'll be facing Word Bearers with the Dark Brethen rite of war and a Mhara Gal dreadnought curbstomping everything that smells of psyker :3:

Oh man, a Mhara Gal would straight-up gently caress up an entire Grey Knights army. :getin:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

SRM posted:

Sharing stuff like this in here is pretty drat mean to people's wallets.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Oh man, a Mhara Gal would straight-up gently caress up an entire Grey Knights army. :getin:

I want to see it go down. WBs are the best for trolling space wizards. Accept no substitute

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'll likely get that box set purely for how cheap it is, I'll just kit bash the marines to look more like 40k. I can understand why you guys like 30k because some of the rules, but honestly the 41st millennium is about ten times cooler than the Heresy.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 4, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Uroboros posted:

I'll likely get that box set purely for how cheap it is, I'll just kit bash the marines to look more like 40k. I can understand why you guys like 30k because some of the rules, but honestly the 41st millennium is about ten times cooler than the Heresy.

The post of a man who is wrong. Drugs are bad mmmmkay.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Having investigated it further, it looks like the 30K Emperor's Children are a pretty good fit for what I'm looking for. Mobile, more than decent in melee, keen on tricks like playing around with challenges.

Except my 40K army is purple and gold alteady. :negative:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yo dog have you heard about raven guard and infiltrating castellax?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

DJ Dizzy posted:

The post of a man who is wrong. Drugs are bad mmmmkay.

Aside from Know No Fear I can't think of any Heresy books that really rival the main 40k series. Ghosts, Night Lords series, inquisition novels, etc. All the good stuff happens in the 41st millennium and prequels while interest rarely beat new stories.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Uroboros posted:

Aside from Know No Fear I can't think of any Heresy books that really rival the main 40k series. Ghosts, Night Lords series, inquisition novels, etc. All the good stuff happens in the 41st millennium and prequels while interest rarely beat new stories.

The First Heretic and Betrayer, IMO.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I like it! Bloodthirster's big, yeah yeah yeah!

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

BULBASAUR posted:

I want to see it go down. WBs are the best for trolling space wizards. Accept no substitute
You say this like their latest codex wasn't already punishment enough :smith:

Looks like I will be getting Hard For Heresytm once I actually finish painting this army and can collect and refurbish enough beakies. It's gonna be top to bottom huge knee/elbow pads and arms at 90-degree angles :getin:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yo dog have you heard about raven guard and infiltrating castellax?

If I understand this right, I would take a Forgelord with a Cortex Controller, and fill my Heavy slots with Castellax?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Or you could skip the forgelord and save your HS slots and take a praevian. He comes attached with a unit of robots and can give various benefits to them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

boom boom boom posted:

The First Heretic and Betrayer, IMO.

Toss in Horus Rising and Mechanicum as well, I think.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
That story about the Space Wolves liberating a planet from the Dark Eldar is my favorite Black Library short story, too

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pre-ordered the dumb board game today. don't really need any mk iv armor for anything i'm doing but at the very least i can sit on them and make some blackshields or something when the time comes

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Would you look at that, GW is releasing bundles that actually save you measurable amounts of money.

my FLGS is also claiming he'll only be receiving 3 of the horus heresy boxes and that's it, no more as it is a strictly limited edition thing. none of the rumours about this have stated, so i'm thinking he just wants my money, the filthy bastard.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
If it is limited edition I will relax and sit back, happy in the knowledge GW still do not understand anything about their market.

'what do you mean we've made the most effective gateway drug into the expensive side of an expensive hobby ever? Just run off 500 copies and make it exclusive'

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not limited edition, based on what i heard. i walked in and pre-ordered one for me and one for my buddy and my store owner made it seem like he was buying a few to just park on the shelves in addition to other customer's pre-orders.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

30k thread was apparently too much for the death thread to handle. RIP.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i, too, get turned into an insensate shitflinger when confronted with a thing i do not personally want to engage in

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

It's too bad that panascope's awesome OP got trashcanned, I thought that it was a really great way to garner interest in 30k. Hopefully we can get it crossposted into this thread.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

lovestick posted:

It's too bad that panascope's awesome OP got trashcanned, I thought that it was a really great way to garner interest in 30k. Hopefully we can get it crossposted into this thread.

Pierre should merge the OPs if possible. If only for adding a certain gâchette and je ne sais quoi to it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Where the hell has the 30k thread gone?

Is this more goons being whiney babies about something drama?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Can't think of any other reason, so I'm going to go with yes :)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

Where the hell has the 30k thread gone?

Gaschamber. SA is turning into reddit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I thought this was the de facto 30K thread.

EDIT:
I honestly thought 30K was a campaign setting for the 40K system and not a completely new game system altogether.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 4, 2015

• Locked thread