Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

It made me so claustrophobic when the native american enforcer for the Gerharts spoke about the tunnels in Vietnam. I went to a few of the sites on a trip to Vietnam where you're able to get into the tunnels and I couldn't get past the entrance. The tunnels are tiny and barely fit an average man nowadays (5'10 / 170ish). They're also pitch black and full of bugs and other not-so-pleasant things. I never had claustrophobia before that day but those tunnels still make me feel trapped when I think about them.

I have a feeling Ed is in for a serious beat down or a slit throat in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a friend whose dad is a Vietnam vet and when he went back on vacation he said that the tunnels they show off now are actually bigger than they actually were back then. Also in a goofy coincidence the VC vet who was showing off the tunnel told a story about a game of cat and mouse he had in the tunnels with an America GI and after comparing dates it turned out it was my friend's dad.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

All the Vietnam tunnel talk made me think of those Harry Bosch novels.

Did anyone think the music was just a bit too loud in this episode? I kept having to turn it down.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Unzip and Attack posted:

Me too. He's by far the most understated character and if he goes full beast mode it could be really great.

I've said a couple of times that I'd bet good money that this is what is going to happen. If the pincer/crusher claw thing comes to be I wonder just which one he'll come across as and how.

muscles like this? posted:

I have a friend whose dad is a Vietnam vet and when he went back on vacation he said that the tunnels they show off now are actually bigger than they actually were back then. Also in a goofy coincidence the VC vet who was showing off the tunnel told a story about a game of cat and mouse he had in the tunnels with an America GI and after comparing dates it turned out it was my friend's dad.

Awwwwkward.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 3, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jake Armitage posted:

Well we're 4 for 4 in episodes with UFOs (or UFO references) in them. Tonight's was the most unambiguous by far. I believe the 1979 Minnesota UFO case I posted about a few pages ago is the origin of the missing time phenomena associated with sightings (the X-Files made use of that a lot, starting with the episode based on that Minnesota case). I should probably go back and rewatch that scene, but did he lose 2 hours? I seem to remember the Waffle Hut clock reading 7-ish and his stopwatch reading somewhere between 9 and 10. In the X-Files it was usually a few minutes.

Holy poo poo I knew there was something to that scene besides the glass he found. In the diner it was 7:07, when he pulls out his stopwatch it's just a little after 10.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I think my DVR must have cut something off, what's this about Dodd's Dad making him kill a guy when he was kid?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

speshl guy posted:

I think my DVR must have cut something off, what's this about Dodd's Dad making him kill a guy when he was kid?

First scene.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Just to be clear, the Blomquist wife was taking some kind of alien pill to maintain her human form, right? And she's dealing with the guilt of knowing her alien DNA and her husband's human DNA can't mix?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

frenton posted:

Just to be clear, the Blomquist wife was taking some kind of alien pill to maintain her human form, right? And she's dealing with the guilt of knowing her alien DNA and her husband's human DNA can't mix?

She wants to go to California, but not the state. Her home planet's name is also California :tinfoil:.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

I have a friend whose dad is a Vietnam vet and when he went back on vacation he said that the tunnels they show off now are actually bigger than they actually were back then.

Yeah I've been and they've definitely expanded "tourist friendly" tunnels. Still claustrophobic as hell though. They also have a shooting range on site and sell fake American GI trinkets (flasks, engraved lighters) and poo poo. It's all incredibly in poor taste and really macabre considering a whole lot of Vietnamese and American lives were lost there.

Bulging Nipples fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Nov 4, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Dodd's little double-take when he stops to confirm his nephew asked for an Old Fashioned donut. There was something so charming about it :3:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

I liked the reveal that Dodd never stood a chance of actually being a normal person, what with his dad making him murder someone when he was a little kid.

On the other hand, I don't think at all that Dodd would consider it as anything other than a point of pride. Both opinions aren't exclusive either though.

savinhill posted:

Yeah, I thought she might actually be pretty smart and savvy in previous episodes, but the whole cozying up to Milligan to feed him info to betray her whole family puts her at Peggy-level as far as brains for future planning goes. I know she hates her father with a seething passion, but this seems like just about the dumbest possible way to go about getting back at him. I hope something happens later on to make her more than just another bumbling mid-West hick way in over their heads against the big city gangsters, cuz this season already suffers from too many of those type characters.

Her dad is also angling for some poo poo so it must be hereditary.

KoRMaK posted:

What what?

I didn't see it so I guess it was just a commercial.

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 4, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's my hot take on TV show analysis.
Reagan = Satan.
Really makes you think, right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I love Dodd's little double-take when he stops to confirm his nephew asked for an Old Fashioned donut. There was something so charming about it :3:

Dodd knows that Old Fashioneds are poo poo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

A good, fresh old-fashioned is one of my favorites! I avoided them for years because they look so boring and wrinkly, but they can be awesome.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that owned.

I feel like this show really kicked up the intensity a notch or two this episode, I was absolutely loving every minute of it. The KC/Gerhardt negotiations (Brad Garrett is killing this role), Dodd backstory + moment of vulnerability in the car with his mom, and especially Lou giving Peggy and Ed a chance to come clean...Ed was sooo close to spilling the beans and Lou knew it, but Peggy continues to be just the worst.

Also feel bad for Dodd's daughter...she's a rebellious free spirit just trying to piss off her dad, but she has no idea how incredibly damning her actions are to her whole family.

Also, is this the first time we've seen Mike kill? And a fleeing woman, no less, surely to show just how cold he really is.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Did anyone notice that the dead Gerhardt son's name was Elron? As in... L. Ron? As in L. Ron Hubbard?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

thehoodie posted:

Did anyone notice that the dead Gerhardt son's name was Elron? As in... L. Ron? As in L. Ron Hubbard?

Elron is a real name, believe it or not.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

thehoodie posted:

No, it's clearly as in

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

You mean "the poo poo."

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dodd was clearly impressed by his nephew's taste in donuts. And yeah it's little things like that scene that make Fargo for me.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Jehde posted:

Dodd was clearly impressed by his nephew's taste in donuts. And yeah it's little things like that scene that make Fargo for me.

For me it's when little guys stab people in the brain and dead bodies get put in meat grinders.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

timp posted:

Yeah that owned.

I feel like this show really kicked up the intensity a notch or two this episode, I was absolutely loving every minute of it. The KC/Gerhardt negotiations (Brad Garrett is killing this role), Dodd backstory + moment of vulnerability in the car with his mom, and especially Lou giving Peggy and Ed a chance to come clean...Ed was sooo close to spilling the beans and Lou knew it, but Peggy continues to be just the worst.

Also feel bad for Dodd's daughter...she's a rebellious free spirit just trying to piss off her dad, but she has no idea how incredibly damning her actions are to her whole family.

Also, is this the first time we've seen Mike kill? And a fleeing woman, no less, surely to show just how cold he really is.

I didn't know whot Brad Garrett was off the top of my head but sweet jesus the dudes a loving giant.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Someone photoshop the Paul Bunyan statue from the movie/first season to have this man's face on it STAT.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Elron is a real name, believe it or not.

It can be both.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

I didn't know whot Brad Garrett was off the top of my head but sweet jesus the dudes a loving giant.

He's 6'8". Basically every joke at his expense on Everybody Loves Raymond (shut up, my parents were always watching it) was about his size.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

EL Raymond was a pretty solid show overall, for what it was. I'd rank it above your standard sitcom fare. Definitely targeted at an older audience though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jake Armitage posted:

The funniest part about last season was that all that demon stuff was pretty heavily telegraphed from the first episode, its just that it went right over all but like 3 or 4 people's head in this thread. The fun part was figuring out what specific mythology we were dealing with, but the rest of the thread was angry at even the suggestion that there was source material, and/or that anyone would care.
Everyone understood the symbolism.

Some people still thought Malvo was literally the devil or at least supernatural.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

NowonSA posted:

EL Raymond was a pretty solid show overall, for what it was. I'd rank it above your standard sitcom fare. Definitely targeted at an older audience though.

EL Ron....EL Raymond?

Hmmm...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

TheAngryDrunk posted:

EL Ron....EL Raymond?

Hmmm...

I set em up, you knock em down. Checkmate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why does Dodd's daughter sellotape her hair to her nipples during sex? Is it a Minnesotan thing?

stev fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 5, 2015

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Steve2911 posted:

Why does Dodd's daughter sellotape her hair to her nipples during sex? Is it a Minnesotan thing?

To keep her obvious alien markings disguised. God, are you people even watching this show?

Ok, no more alien jokes for me. thanks for tuning in!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Steve2911 posted:

It's a basic cable thing.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Yeah, I got that part. Got any other Einstein insights you wish to contribute?"

Speaking of which, anyone else notice that Kansas City Romano looks like a 7ft tall Albert Einstein?

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Here's my hot take on TV show analysis.
Reagan = Satan.

Nah, despite the intro text for the show it's a work of fiction.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Jerusalem posted:

imo this is the most we've seen into dodd's character beyond "violent angry guy". but the little touches are what makes fargo, well, fargo. the doctor loving up how to explain a clinical trial to his patient was very minnesota to me. poor guy probably beat himself up for a week over that

Steve2911 posted:

no, that's a dakotas thing. in minnesota we use duct tape or fishing lures

p.s. i am thinking of making a big :effort: post about the geography since my silly google maps jpeg went over so well.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the doctor loving up how to explain a clinical trial to his patient

While I agree he didn't exactly do a great job of it, how do you explain to someone with cancer that they might get a real drug or they might get a fake one without it sounding really lovely?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

While I agree he didn't exactly do a great job of it, how do you explain to someone with cancer that they might get a real drug or they might get a fake one without it sounding really lovely?

hmm, an interesting question. its almost as if no one has ever run a randomized scientific experiment using human subjects before, and we have no way of figuring out how such an experiment would be carried out. or if such an experiment had been carried out, that we would have no way of learning about it

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What? I know how clinical trials work, I'm just saying it would suck to be told you might get a placebo for your cancer. I don't know why you're being snarky and sarcastic about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

well if you understand how they work then like....wtf? go read some papers about it. i'm sure this is an issue that has come up and people have written about it

• Locked thread