Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, the fact that the same guy has won the championship two years in a row (as well as a bunch more events) suggests to me that for all the dice in X-Wing, luck is a significantly lesser factor than player skill.

There are definitely times where you have your "Oh, I guess Soontir Fel rolled all blanks on four green dice so now he's dead" moments and it can be annoying to see a well-planned attack amount to nothing because you rolled bupkis, but it's not like Magic where sometimes the RNG just decides that you're going to lose this game no matter what you do. I'm not anything like world championship material but I've definitely noticed substantial improvements in my quality of play thanks to practice and taking those annoying moments and learning lessons from them.

It's still also a pretty good casual game imo, it's not some "be prepared to lose your first 100" games thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I watched a dude roll a 3 on a d20 four times in a row last night, I'm inevitably going to get mad at a die roll whether it's rational to do so or not.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

The dice in X-Wing fill a nice niche of making you risk assess your actions more than you would if combat results were deterministic. Yes, you could stick your neck out for that four or five red dice attack, but if it fails you may have just left yourself wide open for nothing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I feel FFG's catalog has been getting steadily better (remember when they were the guys that put out nothing but overcomplicated shitheaps like Android and Arkham Horror?) but they've also been stepping up the pace and their stuff is pretty expensive. Rebellion looks really, really neat but I suspect something with that much flair is gonna be stupid expensive. I'd be happy with little cardboard chits myself but I'm not their target audience.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

StashAugustine posted:

I'd be happy with little cardboard chits myself but I'm not their target audience.

gently caress YOU FFG TAKE MY MONEY I WANT A PLASTIC DEATH STAR

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Obama 2012 posted:

gently caress YOU FFG TAKE MY MONEY I WANT A PLASTIC DEATH STAR

Twilight Imperium is right there man.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

StashAugustine posted:

I feel FFG's catalog has been getting steadily better (remember when they were the guys that put out nothing but overcomplicated shitheaps like Android and Arkham Horror?) but they've also been stepping up the pace and their stuff is pretty expensive. Rebellion looks really, really neat but I suspect something with that much flair is gonna be stupid expensive. I'd be happy with little cardboard chits myself but I'm not their target audience.

It's almost certainly going to be $100 like all their big boxes nowadays. Armada, Imperial Assault and Forbidden Stars are all $100 MSRP. There's multiple people in my LGS that buy everything Star Wars branded they put out, so there's really no reason for them to go for cheap cardboard components.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
It's listed at $100 right on their website.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Which means it'll be about $63 at CSI, and <$50 on sales. MSRP is not really any fair criticism here.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

GrandpaPants posted:

Twilight Imperium is right there man.

Pshaw! That has no Death Stars, just something called a... War Sun? I don't see any connection.

Realistically, if Rebels can create that asymmetric feel of a small band struggling against the odds it might be solid, but I'll wait until some reviews roll on before I decide to buy.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Which means it'll be about $63 at CSI, and <$50 on sales. MSRP is not really any fair criticism here.

Oh that wasn't meant to be a criticism, I was just stating that it's in line with the price of those other games.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

Wait, it actually *is* the same general idea as the Rebellion computer game that was buggy and terrible and I still enjoyed it?

So basically this?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
What's Tiny Epic Defenders like? The rating on BGG is 6.64, not very high, but I'm wondering what you guys think of it. I know Tiny Epic Galaxies wasn't very well received here, but Tiny Epic Kingdoms got at least some praise.

I'm asking because my collection is missing one of those short games that you can play on a very small table (like love letter or coup). Seems like Tiny Epic Defenders fits that bill, sort of.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I've only played the space one, it was pretty decent.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

theroachman posted:

What's Tiny Epic Defenders like? The rating on BGG is 6.64, not very high, but I'm wondering what you guys think of it. I know Tiny Epic Galaxies wasn't very well received here, but Tiny Epic Kingdoms got at least some praise.

I'm asking because my collection is missing one of those short games that you can play on a very small table (like love letter or coup). Seems like Tiny Epic Defenders fits that bill, sort of.

I think the more pertinent question is why not just get Love Letter and/or Coup instead?

I don't remember any comments on TEG or TED in this thread, but I remember TEK getting panned here for its shallowness, and for degenerate aggression strategies that can effectively eliminate another player early in the game without any recourse.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Because I'm bored of Coup and I don't think Love Letter is a very good game. Haven't played it yet but from what I saw on TableTop it looked like something that would get boring fast. You're right about TEG vs TEK though, I had them mixed up.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Codenames or Resistance/Avalon may fill that role as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm not criticizing, just complaining :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tiny Epic Galaxies is actually their best game by a large margin. Kingdoms and Defenders are both bland and shallow. Galaxies has some actual meat to it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Jul times are fast approaching, a merry time when Pimps all around the world prepare gifts for friends and foes alike.

:spidey: A tiny knock from inside my phone: "Yo, a big box just arrived, handmade inside a chinese sweatshop - pick it up, A.S.A.P.", a jaunt across the street, a heavy haulin' later - So huge, so swole this box is; I better get my big knife! I wonder; what could it be?

:coffeepal:

EBag
May 18, 2006

theroachman posted:

How many people are you wanting it to be able to play? Biblios is a pretty good quick auction game for 4, Spyfall is fun with the right group, Bang! The dice game is also decent for a quick hidden-role game, Bohnanza is a good distilled trading game though it's a bit more like 30-40 min.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pimpmust posted:

Jul times are fast approaching, a merry time when Pimps all around the world prepare gifts for friends and foes alike.

:spidey: A tiny knock from inside my phone: "Yo, a big box just arrived, handmade inside a chinese sweatshop - pick it up, A.S.A.P.", a jaunt across the street, a heavy haulin' later - So huge, so swole this box is; I better get my big knife! I wonder; what could it be?

:coffeepal:

Aw, man, you got King of New York touching Pandemic Legacy. Guess you have to throw the whole box out.

I kid. Sizable haul though, I'm pretty excited when I get a single board game, I think that represents something like six months of sessions for me and my friends, if not more.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Biblios is quite good but it's best with 3 in my experience.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Aw, man, you got King of New York touching Pandemic Legacy. Guess you have to throw the whole box out.

I kid. Sizable haul though, I'm pretty excited when I get a single board game, I think that represents something like six months of sessions for me and my friends, if not more.

I did say friends and foes alike. No pain, no gain.

Kidding, but it's not for me, le connaisseur of boardgames, but family.

The people I've spent 3 years force feeding decent-to-great modern boardgames. It seems to be rubbing off, but I'm running out of great boardgames to give away... so now only the pain train remains :devil:

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

theroachman posted:

Because I'm bored of Coup and I don't think Love Letter is a very good game. Haven't played it yet but from what I saw on TableTop it looked like something that would get boring fast. You're right about TEG vs TEK though, I had them mixed up.

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you to pick up Love Letter. My opinion is that it is the kind of game that really shines once you've been playing it for a while with the same group, because then you start counter-playing based on your opponents' history, which forces them to adapt. Half of my enjoyment of Love Letter is seeing how the meta evolves among different groups of players.

And if I'm wrong, it's :tenbux: (with discounts that you can get almost anywhere, less); easily cheap enough to give it a fair chance.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

theroachman posted:

Please don't make purchasing decisions based on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop(tm).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Red7 also seems like a cool shorter game, but I don't know if it holds up to repeat plays?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

memy posted:

Please don't make purchasing decisions based on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop(tm).

Now now, this is perfectly fine if you think the game looks fun on the show.

Now, don't make rules decisions based on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop(tm).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Someone is a fan of redundancy.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Someone is a fan of redundancy.

Well it's not seven boxes of Talisman expansions so you really have to ask if he's enough of a fan.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BonHair posted:

Red7 also seems like a cool shorter game, but I don't know if it holds up to repeat plays?

It certainly does. Though Red7 is a better 2-player game than 3-4 player game. But the addition of the advanced rules and errata make it a really good 2-player game.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
A real fan of Pandemic would complete at least three Legacy games and use the boards together to play Multiverse Pandemic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yeah, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you to pick up Love Letter. My opinion is that it is the kind of game that really shines once you've been playing it for a while with the same group, because then you start counter-playing based on your opponents' history, which forces them to adapt. Half of my enjoyment of Love Letter is seeing how the meta evolves among different groups of players.

And if I'm wrong, it's :tenbux: (with discounts that you can get almost anywhere, less); easily cheap enough to give it a fair chance.

Don't buy love letter

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Countblanc posted:

Don't buy love letter

Why, it's good

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Buy Linko, Frank's Zoo, For Sale, and Cockroach Poker. Also, Love Letter is fun if simple and probably not a waste of 7 bucks or whatever you end up paying (but that's all subjective, of course). I pretty much only play Love Letter with non-gamers and now that Codenames has entered my life I think that will be non-gamers in groups less than 4.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 4, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Countblanc posted:

Don't buy love letter

Gort posted:

Why, it's good

Yeah, what? I get that it's pretty overblown/over saturated at this point, but it's still a perfectly good game to have on hand to fill 10-15 minutes with. Has it/AEG somehow landed themselves into the Boardgoon Blacklist?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No? My opinion isn't some Hivemind poo poo or whatever, I just don't enjoy playing it. The reason I said what I did was, get this - The guy literally, literally said he had no interest in it and even did some research so he was forming at least a semi-educated opinion on in, and the counter argument was "actually, it's good and you'll only be out $15 if you don't like it". Does no one else think that's stupid? Am I taking crazy pills here????

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

PerniciousKnid posted:

A real fan of Pandemic would complete at least three Legacy games and use the boards together to play Multiverse Pandemic.

Fringe Pandemic, you can pass cards between universes in the gateway city

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

No? My opinion isn't some Hivemind poo poo or whatever, I just don't enjoy playing it. The reason I said what I did was, get this - The guy literally, literally said he had no interest in it and even did some research so he was forming at least a semi-educated opinion on in, and the counter argument was "actually, it's good and you'll only be out $15 if you don't like it". Does no one else think that's stupid? Am I taking crazy pills here????

"From what I saw on Tabletop" is about as much research as "from what I saw on Fox News." Fox News does indeed report news, and Tabletop plays games. You can learn things from them. You are totally taking crazy pills if you think either of those counts for forming a semi-educated opinion on something.

I agree it would have been better to ask him why he thought it would get boring than to tell him to go spend money on something he already said he didn't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Foehammer posted:

Fringe Pandemic, you can pass cards between universes in the gateway city

I wonder if we could play ten branching games of Legacy and set them up like Temporum.