Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If you see them coming better run for cover.
Girl you don't need a weekend lover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

oldpainless posted:

But that is 7

Not counting the original post by Ayn Rand Hand Job

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

But i thought you don't count the original because it's not a repetition?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
AMERICAN MALES FUN FACT:

Bagwell was the first person to be put through a table by Public Enemy. He was in fact put through TWO tables in their Monday Nitro debut.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

AMERICAN MALES FUN FACT:

Bagwell was the first person to be put through a table by Public Enemy. He was in fact put through TWO tables in their Monday Nitro debut.

Probably wasn't the first time he got wood while tagging with Riggs, though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Snacksmaniac posted:

If you see them coming better run for cover.
Girl you don't need a weekend lover.

UNNNN
American Males

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Germansimp posted:

Probably wasn't the first time he got wood while tagging with Riggs, though.
I don't think they ever had a match against Hogan.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ToyotaThong posted:

Found this at a local hobby shop's kite section.

Enjoy

Please please please tell me they made an Ed Leslie one of these.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Public Enemy was the drizzling shits

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Please please please tell me they made an Ed Leslie one of these.

That is the only one I've seen, sorry.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Benne posted:

Grunge was really terrible but Rocco was a serviceable big man flyer

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Benne posted:

gently caress you.

I bet you also hated Glacier.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Great White Hope posted:

gently caress you.

I bet you also hated Glacier.

Glacier also sucked but I can't help but love him, just for the sheer amount of excess and money wasted on a Bischoff vanity project.

I don't see anything redeemable about Public Enemy, aside from a few decent high spots.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Benne posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch the most violent burial in wrestling check out Public Enemy vs The Acolytes from PE's brief WWF run.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

oatgan posted:

If you've ever wanted to watch the most violent burial in wrestling check out Public Enemy vs The Acolytes from PE's brief WWF run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbZiEMOt6mA

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I've always thought that was complete horseshit and petty of Vince to have the acolytes do that. It's especially gross since both members of PE are dead.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I've always thought that was complete horseshit and petty of Vince to have the acolytes do that. It's especially gross since both members of PE are dead.

It's not like they were dead at the time. It was petty, sure, but it isn't any worse because one day the people involved would die. It's a pretty common thing to eventually happen to a person.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

"Go easy on Public Enemy, boys. I have foretold the future and they will both be dead in 10 years" - Vince

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Holy poo poo, I had never seen this entire thing. What was the point again? Public Enemy were assholes backstage?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Holy poo poo, I had never seen this entire thing. What was the point again? Public Enemy were assholes backstage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlV-DLHZ5hQ

apparently they changed the finish right as they walked to the ring and said they wouldn't go through a table.

jbl is a real dick though for not knowing they'd die, so who can really say what the truth is

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
That beats own is brutal, and the only comparable one I can think of is when Perry Saturn beat the poo poo out of some jobber (I think it was Mike Bell).

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and then mike bell died from huffing scotch guard.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

david carmichael posted:

and then mike bell died from huffing scotch guard.

Petty Saturn is a monster, and I'm glad he bears the mark of Cain on his face for this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

spongeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlV-DLHZ5hQ

apparently they changed the finish right as they walked to the ring and said they wouldn't go through a table.

jbl is a real dick though for not knowing they'd die, so who can really say what the truth is

Were Public Enemy hired just to bury them? I was under the impression that their match with the Acolytes was their first and only in WWE, and then that video shows that they were beaten down by the Brood the previous week. Were they ever made to look strong at all?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

I used to have an issue of the WWF Magazine and they wrote about it haha.

It might have been the "RAW" magazine, for MATURE FANS

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Were Public Enemy hired just to bury them? I was under the impression that their match with the Acolytes was their first and only in WWE, and then that video shows that they were beaten down by the Brood the previous week. Were they ever made to look strong at all?
According to JBL, Public Enemy went over like a lead balloon in WWF with people backstage for a couple reasons. First was that they were hired by Terry Taylor, who had a bad rep in the locker room for being a stooge. Second was that they were incredibly unprofessional and had no idea how to act in a major company (WCW in 1998 probably hadn't given them that education.)

On the night the infamous APA beatdown happened, they showed up really late, said little during the road agent meeting, and then when they were in Gorilla they told APA that they didn't want to bump at all, and they were going to go over by putting APA through a table, the opposite of the planned finish. So APA came out swinging because they didn't know what was going through PE's heads, and half-expected them to shoot on them to make the match go the way they wanted. After the match, PE shook hands and said thanks like nothing unusual had happened.

This is all JBL's side of the story, and I'm not inclined to defend him, but the tone of his story didn't sound angry at all, but bewildered. There was no macho talk about how he righteously taught PE a lesson.

I think it was also one of those things where they were hired based on the buzz they had generated, then their new company discovered they couldn't work a conventional match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They had also chosen WCW over WWF when they left ECW the first time, which made some WWF guys angry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I remembered almost nothing about last night's Nitro. I was vaguely aware that there might be one more Warrior appearance out there but I completely forgot about Goldberg destroying Jericho and the announcers all being fooled by nWo Hollywood telling them the President was coming to Nitro.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I remembered almost nothing about last night's Nitro. I was vaguely aware that there might be one more Warrior appearance out there but I completely forgot about Goldberg destroying Jericho and the announcers all being fooled by nWo Hollywood telling them the President was coming to Nitro.

You're at a point in WCW history where I'd almost completely abandoned watching Nitro in favor of RAW, and I'd also gotten interested in ECW and Puro. Plus Galavision lucha!

So when I'm not working evenings, a lot of what you show from here on out will be fresh to me.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
It's amazing how unparalleled WCW's terrible booking was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
At what point do all the luchadores get fired?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You're at a point in WCW history where I'd almost completely abandoned watching Nitro in favor of RAW, and I'd also gotten interested in ECW and Puro. Plus Galavision lucha!

So when I'm not working evenings, a lot of what you show from here on out will be fresh to me.

I'm pretty sure I watched all the Nitros from this point till the end :suicide:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Man, I'm watching old Nitros from the last 95 96 right now and Savage wins the title twice. Both times, Hogan is right there to run into the ring to lift his arm and challenge him to a match. That had to be aggravating as hell to never be able to win without Hogan jumping in to steal all the thunder.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Man, I'm watching old Nitros from the last 95 96 right now and Savage wins the title twice. Both times, Hogan is right there to run into the ring to lift his arm and challenge him to a match. That had to be aggravating as hell to never be able to win without Hogan jumping in to steal all the thunder.

Woody is just giving Macho Madness the rub, brother

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Hogan always has to have the spotlight. Savage won WW3 on a technicality so Hogan could say he was screwed (and as usual Hogan makes a big show of complaining, not realizing how petty and childish it makes him look). There's plenty of examples from WWF, too, like when Sid eliminated him in the Rumble.

Nobody's ever allowed to get one over on Hogan. As we're seeing in the weekly Tuesday Nitro airing, Hogan's ego was so fragile that he was jealous of the publicity Jesse Ventura got for becoming Governor of Minnesota, so he launched a 'presidential campaign' as a stunt to elevate himself to Jesse's level in the national consciousness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He hated it as much as Hogan keeping him from abusing his wife.

(Hogan and Savage have much funnier title shenanigans in 98 and 99 that probably infuriated him more.)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

. But when they came back, Hogan and company were back challenging Warrior to show up. Warrior was in the aisle. While the fans did pop pretty big for the steam early in the show, once the two guys started talking the fans were booing them both. Warrior left. Hogan was chasing him. Nobody could find Warrior. Hogan went to his dressing room and Warrior had it spray painted and there were small fires everywhere. Disciple was passed out in the bathroom. Hogan panicked although I have no idea why because he's seen that idiot like that nightly for years. He tried to wake him up, but God only knows what he'd done. As he tried to recapture him, more steam, and wouldn't you know it, he was gone again. WCW spent years trying to get into all these cities that WWF had a stronghold in and all these buildings. And now they're self destructing. Anyway, at this point Bischoff was retitling his book, "How to kill the biggest wrestling company in the world."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Russo didn't help but Bischoff was already enough of a moron to destroy wcw by himself. We're there any wrestling promoters in history who weren't absolute retards in one way or another?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I would say Vince McMahon but he was more lucky than smart so I guess that doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Russo didn't help but Bischoff was already enough of a moron to destroy wcw by himself. We're there any wrestling promoters in history who weren't absolute retards in one way or another?
Well, any company that existed for an impressive length of time or at an impressive size is going to have at least one big blunder you could point to. And all of the territories were dumb or they would have banded together to resist Vince, right?