Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Might as well just go the Young Thug option I reckon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it truly is slime season

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

you can probably buy a band that looks just like that on etsy for 60 united states dollars

Etsy is awesome for bands. I just picked up this one:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244863...52aaa:244863187

Dude also makes a version with space grey rivets and buckle, which is what I got for my SG sport.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Y'all need to chill being gauche over the price and focus on the look. Because that's what is slime.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hmmm...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/252650...f=sr_gallery_15

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Y'all need to chill being gauche over the price and focus on the look. Because that's what is slime.

I happen to like the way it looks :shrug:

:page84snypa:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If it was black instead of brown it would be something you would see a 15 year old wear while hanging out around the Hot Topic, waiting for his mom to pick him up. It's huge and gaudy looking. But then again I like my watch band to be as low profile as humanly possible.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

<Nilay>Could use some spikes</Patel>

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

smr
Dec 18, 2002

I really hope SA's non-general forums can remain the one goddamned part of the internet where responding solely with memes isn't a loving regularly-accepted thing. Christ.

WatchChat: On month four with the stainless steel 42 w/the apple black magnet clasp leather band. I... like it okay? I don't think I could quite recommend it or justify the coin based on utility alone, it's definitely a toy more than a super-useful tool. I _do_ like that I can quick-check chats and such from the wrist, that's fully integrated into my uses cases to where I checked a hangouts chat yesterday when it came in without really thinking about it and the co-worker across for me who's been back-and-forthing about getting a Watch was like "okay, that sold me".

What I _hate_ from WatchOS 2 is the colored complications. Made Modular Face unusable for me, it's so garish. Utility is less-so but I'd really prefer to be able to choose to greyscale the activity complication and weather.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

smr posted:

What I _hate_ from WatchOS 2 is the colored complications. Made Modular Face unusable for me, it's so garish. Utility is less-so but I'd really prefer to be able to choose to greyscale the activity complication and weather.

You can still have a monotone modular face. Customize it and change the color option to something other than multicolor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why apple won't let people make a completely customized watch face. I mean, I understand, it's because they're dicks. But I wish they'd open that up. At the very least, they should let me choose the background, and where to put the complications.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't understand why apple won't let people make a completely customized watch face. I mean, I understand, it's because they're dicks. But I wish they'd open that up. At the very least, they should let me choose the background, and where to put the complications.

No it's because they know that every device is an advertisement, and if they let people customize faces the first look many people get at an Apple watch might turn them off on getting one. It's more important to them that every watch, no matter how it's customized, has a simple, clean interface that is easy to use.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mulva posted:

No it's because they know that every device is an advertisement, and if they let people customize faces the first look many people get at an Apple watch might turn them off on getting one. It's more important to them that every watch, no matter how it's customized, has a simple, clean interface that is easy to use.

Apple's most personal device ever

In any case, you can change the background on any other iOS device to whatever godawful thing you want, so I'm not sure the argument that Apple wants to limit their customers' bad taste from driving down sales holds much water

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 3, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Here's a pretty good custom wallpaper:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

smr posted:

I really hope SA's non-general forums can remain the one goddamned part of the internet where responding solely with memes isn't a loving regularly-accepted thing. Christ.

That's an image macro, dummy.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Actually that's an intensely dank meme.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Because each Complication is a specific size and has specific functions. Some are icons, some are textual. Letting users drag them around would mean individual grids, developers creating nonstandard Complications and so on. Then you have choosing colors over a wallpaper - you then need to be able to show a full color wallpaper, then customize 6 Complications with different colors to show up over that wallpaper. How's that battery life now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure if my complications were in different locations on the screen the battery life would be exactly the same.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
no, you see

the grid

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

pipebomb posted:

Because each Complication is a specific size and has specific functions. Some are icons, some are textual. Letting users drag them around would mean individual grids, developers creating nonstandard Complications and so on. Then you have choosing colors over a wallpaper - you then need to be able to show a full color wallpaper, then customize 6 Complications with different colors to show up over that wallpaper. How's that battery life now?

This line of reasoning is pretty nuts man. :confused:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

fr3lm0 posted:

You can still have a monotone modular face. Customize it and change the color option to something other than multicolor.

Oh, no kidding?

Nice. I read Gruber's griping about the complication for Activity being multicolor and unchangeable and assumed he knew what he was talking about. Bad assumption, apparently.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
my poo poo is all white

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're probably looking for The Goon Doctor.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I guess I didn't articulate what I was trying to say well. Imagine the attached is your wallpaper. You can't use a single Complication color that will display visibly and clearly on every spot, right? So that would mean each Complication would need its own color. Now you're drawing a vivid wallpaper, a few more colors for the Comps, plus normal app usage. Battery life would suffer.
Not to mention that Devs would need to make their Comps glyph like to support custom colors.

Just seems like a lose/lose in this iteration. But eventually sure, why not, if the tech gets better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i could be hella wrong but i don't think that's how screens work in 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

i could be hella wrong but i don't think that's how screens work in 2015

I think he was speaking some deep wisdom.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

smr posted:

Oh, no kidding?

Nice. I read Gruber's griping about the complication for Activity being multicolor and unchangeable and assumed he knew what he was talking about. Bad assumption, apparently.

When I first got mine I turned it to red and left it there. After awhile I was like man I wish the activity monitor was full color in the complication. I didn't realize until a couple days ago that it could be in full color.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Huh? How do you make the activity complication full colour? Mine is just white?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

monkeu posted:

Huh? How do you make the activity complication full colour? Mine is just white?

force touch the "lockscreen" customize, scroll down below white for "multicolor" and up for other colors

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

noirstronaut posted:

force touch the "lockscreen" customize, scroll down below white for "multicolor" and up for other colors

Ah thanks. Is that new in 2.0?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

monkeu posted:

Ah thanks. Is that new in 2.0?
Yep.

So are live photo faces!
http://www.awphotofaces.com/livephotos

Apparently they're just jpeg+mov. But no dickbutt there for some reason :iiam:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a way to make just the activity complication multicolor while keeping everything else the color I like it?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

I happen to like the way it looks :shrug:

:page84snypa:

Hey man, haters gonna hate. Is the cuff removable?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
"One major advantage of OLED displays is their per pixel power management. With most LCDs the entire backlight must be turned on even if only a single sub-pixel needs to be activated. On the other hand, for OLEDs each individual sub-pixel is independently powered, which provides tremendous flexibility in display power management. An all black OLED display uses no power, and a screen with a black background will use only a small amount of power compared to an white background. That’s why it’s better to have a black background on mobile OLED displays. In addition, a black background improves screen readability in high ambient light compared to a white background.

All OLED and LCD mobile displays need to carefully manage their power by controlling display brightness and by turning off the display when it is not needed or being watched. This is especially important for smart watches with their tiny batteries. We will discuss these power management strategies further in the Conclusions section, below.."

http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_1.htm

To display more colors and patterns, more power is needed. That's all I was trying to say.

Also, re: Complications - https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/General/Conceptual/AppleWatch2TransitionGuide/DesigningaComplication.html

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 4, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jesus christ dude. It has nothing to do with the number of colors in any way, only brightness.

Also to your previous point, why would you ever pick a background that was a nightmare to configure or read text on? I want this cake picture on my wrist, too bad it's impossible to read anything on.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 4, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

monkeu posted:

Here's a pretty good custom wallpaper:

Where?

On screen tech: While you're technically correct that some colors use more power than others on a OLED screen, if you think showing a solid blue complication in one area and a solid red one in another is going to make anything approaching a significant difference when compared to turning on the full screen to display a multi-color image, you're insane. At most, you're talking minutes over the course of a full day. Even as part of a simple watchface the difference isn't going to make a difference.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Ok then.

So, has anyone else started wearing their watch with crown facing in, toward the elbow? I saw it mentioned on imore and it really works for me. Much more control of all buttons.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
Anybody have problems with passes not showing up on the watch? Everything that was in Wallet when I paired the watch is there, but I added Walgreens and Speedway earlier today and they still haven't shown up. The Watch app seems to only have settings for payment cards.

e: never mind. After about 3 reboots of watch and phone, toggling airplane mode on the watch this morning fixed it. Go figure.

killa-pope fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

smr posted:

Oh, no kidding?

The Activity complication was changed to multicolor on two faces: Modular and Utility. Only Modular lets you change it back to one color though. That's what Gruber's complained about.

• Locked thread