Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's a scenario I see being possible in kentucky, and it's the only Hope I'm clinging to. Bevin goes hard after killing Medicaid on the first day and institutes his Medicare drug testing program on day two.

These measures, when actually seen by kentuckians, instantly sour them on their idiot governor and the state legislatures panic, seeing that they're all in danger of getting ousted at next election. They work on reinstating Medicaid expansion by law and override bevins veto. Bevin is neutered and spends the next four years totally powerless, as the stalemate in the legislatures never resolves.

The House will block any legislation he wants to pass. He'll be ineffectual until such a time as they have a republican majority.

Buring Kynect down is insane, it was huge for the local IT industry, well established, and everyone loves it. Bevin absolutely is crazy enough to point a gun at its head and pull the trigger, and suddenly losing your insurance is enough to make someone go, "Yeah, but I wanted them to take insurance away from those other guys!" It's just a matter of how much damage he can do via executive fiat before people finally get sick of his schtick.

I don't think the Wisconsin thing applies here. Labor relations and state budget are a vague and nebulous thing to most people. Healthcare and medicare? It punches them right in the butt when impacted, and it'll be a pretty big deal when it gets made real for them. And if not they'll be dead this time next election anyway :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

RevKrule posted:

Jefferson County in Colorado voted to recall three Board of Education members. All three received had the support of AFP who funneled massive amounts of money into the state against the recall. All three basically have spent their whole tenure trying to dismantle the public education system of the second largest county in the state.

All three were shady as poo poo and even though I don't live in JeffCo nor plan on moving there, I'm happy as gently caress they're gonna be gone.

It was great. We had student walk outs and protests over them.

Got another three in Douglas county that need ousting as well. See if you an guess whether they are voucher toting incumbent assholes or the challengers from their pictures alone.

http://douglascountynewspress.net/stories/Meet-the-school-board-candidates,197265

And woot! They did it!

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/CO/Douglas/56820/156708/Web01/en/summary.html

We have twice as many registered republican voters here than democrats but Vogel and co ( vogel is an amazing speaker btw ... She got multiple standing ovations in the debate with all 6 candidates there. ) swept the school board races with 58% of the vote.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

FAUXTON posted:

When they start apportioning electoral votes by district results rather than state results. Take Pennsylvania for instance. It's basically one decent city, one "actually West Virginia but close enough" city, and a bunch of inbred fucks who talk like boomhauer and say yinz in between the cities. Population-wise the majority of voters in the state are going to be in those cities, and a huge majority of those city-dwellers are not down with the GOP. Moreso in the decent city than the 'burgh, but the stats legislature can draw electoral districts so that they concentrate as much of the civilized vote into as few districts as possible, while slathering the mumbling chickenfucker hill people vote as thinly as possible across all districts while still maintaining majorities.

Now, come every 4 years, you have the people in the cities always outvoting the loving filth in the woods. If they stop counting votes and just start counting familial-amplified birth defects per acre as a metric for awarding each district's electoral vote, then you've got like 14 wasteland districts with 50.1% dogshit and 5 with decent people running up the score 80-20, and you award 14 EVs to Ricky Boucher or whoever these dumb shits warble for, and 5 to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whoever.

As of tonight Pennsylvania is not in danger of pulling this, seeing as their SCOTUS got a good infusion of competency.

Yeah I'm shocked but happy at the fairly large sweep the dems pulled today. Also I live in north central and I don't appreciate being called an inbred gently caress, okay. Most of my neighbors also have no visible deformities :colbert:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah I'm shocked but happy at the fairly large sweep the dems pulled today. Also I live in north central and I don't appreciate being called an inbred gently caress, okay. Most of my neighbors also have no visible deformities :colbert:

But do you talk like boomhauer and say yinz?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Jefferson County is where we should celebrate, there is no place where the Neoliberals have been trying to gently caress up the nation more then in education and to see all three of their thugs thrown out of office is a real victory.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 4, 2015

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Kitfox88 posted:

Most? :raise:

You're not really helping your case there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hollismason posted:

They could be kin. You don't know that.

https://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/10/post_593.html

He's not related to Edwin Edwards.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

When they start apportioning electoral votes by district results rather than state results. Take Pennsylvania for instance. It's basically one decent city, one "actually West Virginia but close enough" city, and a bunch of inbred fucks who talk like boomhauer and say yinz in between the cities. Population-wise the majority of voters in the state are going to be in those cities, and a huge majority of those city-dwellers are not down with the GOP. Moreso in the decent city than the 'burgh, but the stats legislature can draw electoral districts so that they concentrate as much of the civilized vote into as few districts as possible, while slathering the mumbling chickenfucker hill people vote as thinly as possible across all districts while still maintaining majorities.

Now, come every 4 years, you have the people in the cities always outvoting the loving filth in the woods. If they stop counting votes and just start counting familial-amplified birth defects per acre as a metric for awarding each district's electoral vote, then you've got like 14 wasteland districts with 50.1% dogshit and 5 with decent people running up the score 80-20, and you award 14 EVs to Ricky Boucher or whoever these dumb shits warble for, and 5 to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whoever.

As of tonight Pennsylvania is not in danger of pulling this, seeing as their SCOTUS got a good infusion of competency.

goddamn you really hate poor people

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kitfox88 posted:

State college is an exception. I regularly travel across the north of pa and that assessment is spot on. There needs to be genetics study done on the north half of the state to see how close consanguineous everyone is up there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Chokes McGee posted:

The House will block any legislation he wants to pass. He'll be ineffectual until such a time as they have a republican majority.

Buring Kynect down is insane, it was huge for the local IT industry, well established, and everyone loves it. Bevin absolutely is crazy enough to point a gun at its head and pull the trigger, and suddenly losing your insurance is enough to make someone go, "Yeah, but I wanted them to take insurance away from those other guys!" It's just a matter of how much damage he can do via executive fiat before people finally get sick of his schtick.

I don't think the Wisconsin thing applies here. Labor relations and state budget are a vague and nebulous thing to most people. Healthcare and medicare? It punches them right in the butt when impacted, and it'll be a pretty big deal when it gets made real for them. And if not they'll be dead this time next election anyway :sigh:

I'm starting a Kickstarter campaign to fund cameras pointed at every poor Bevin voter 24/7 to capture the exact moment they realize he isn't just taking healthcare away from those other guys. The expression will only last a moment at best before they decide it was actually Obama's fault but if we mash a whole state's worth into one highlight reel then me might get a solid hour of pained realization.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Will it be as good as the white people mourning Romney tumbler?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For those of you Chicken-Littling the Democratic Party of a National Level, would you please shut the gently caress up.

Even if they changed the electoral college to House districts go to winners in those districts, neither of the last four elections would have ultimately been different. And even if they went further, and changed the Senate EV's to go to the winner of those most districts in that state, it wouldn't change anything either. The difference would be MOV.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love reading the posts after an election goes bad cause watching the bad posters cry about losing is the only thing that gives me joy anymore

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

but gently caress houston

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

like look at this post, how can i not smile at it, i'm gonna have such a good day today

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Please never post about Pennsylvania again. That was embarrassing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sorry for the late response. It's complicated, but 9/11 had nothing to do with it. If I had to sum it up, he doesn't like how he lived his life and it's made him a lot more bitter.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

So basically every interesting race went the wrong way, but there is an upside. The right wing media and their inter-network tentacles panelists are already claiming this as the big win the Republicans needed. The momentum is strong, Obama sucks so much come on guys, and clearly 2016 is done and done.

The upside is loud echoes that will make the next year truly unbelievable in politics. Also I don't think anything that happened yesterday gives us any meaningful extrapolations for the general.

There were also indications that KY's Medicaid expansion might stick around. It was a campaign point that went from "burn the poo poo down" to later "not necessarily planning on going there". Unfortunately a lot of people will find out the hard way if it's gone when they need it and it shouldn't even be a question.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 4, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The amount of rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth over Kentucky makes me think a R presidency and subsequent disaster would be worth the month long meltdown.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

The amount of rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth over Kentucky makes me think a R presidency and subsequent disaster would be worth the month long meltdown.

I was pretty much in meltdown mode for the entire 2001-2009 period.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
So I know this is preaching to the choir for this thread, but if you ever need evidence to show people that voting in local elections is important, take a look at my county:

http://tompkinscountyny.gov/files/boe/Additional_Information/Past_Results_files/2015/Results_per_ED_11_3_2015.HTML

Margins of 27, 11, 9, 4, and 1. An instance where literally 1 vote makes a difference for an office that probably affects your life more than big ticket national elections.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

tranime scholar posted:

I was gonna make a joke about their only textbook being the Bible but then I remembered that's basically already true for a lot of homeschool kids and now I'm sad.

Hey, that's not true; what they have is even worse!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What happens in a race for a municipal position where no one is on he ballot and there's just a bunch of singular votes for write in candidates with no write-in having more votes than the others?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Azuth0667 posted:

What happens in a race for a municipal position where no one is on he ballot and there's just a bunch of singular votes for write in candidates with no write-in having more votes than the others?

The universe implodes, presumably.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Howard Coble is the handsomest ex-Congressman on TV.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

If there's not some restriction on minimum vote count or percentage, which there probably is, then that's why your neighbor is both the mayor and your neighbor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Things that are not going to happen in American politics: EV-by-district becoming widespread, abolishing the EC, a deadlocked convention, an Article V convention, one of the two parties splintering, Donald Trump winning a nomination.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
edit: nevermind.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Things that are not going to happen in American politics: EV-by-district becoming widespread, abolishing the EC, a deadlocked convention, an Article V convention, one of the two parties splintering, Donald Trump winning a nomination.

I am still mildly amused by the idea of a brokered convention though. Like, it would be orgasmic.

It's also not happening.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

mandatory lesbian posted:

i love reading the posts after an election goes bad cause watching the bad posters cry about losing is the only thing that gives me joy anymore

Unfortunately soon we'll be back to posting RepubliLOLs and Fails about those dumb GOP idiots who, still, control both houses of Congress and most state governments. But Jeb! is bad! So everything's going to be fine!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Hootington posted:

People who live in Kentucky want to live in a regressive shithole and they are going to get their wish. No reason to rend anything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FAUXTON posted:

jesus dude we get it you hate poors and think they're literally subhuman, lighten up

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Howard Coble is the handsomest ex-Congressman on TV.

he used to chair the house subcommittee on ip and internet despite proudly not knowing what email was nor ever using a computer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

comes along bort posted:

he used to chair the house subcommittee on ip and internet despite proudly not knowing what email was nor ever using a computer
Pretty par for the course when it comes to Republican committee chairmen

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Looks like early results in Seattle are positive. It's been tough hearing all the depressing results come in tonight, but hey it looks like we're getting tax-payer funded elections, early childhood health/education, and a $1B transportation levy.

What is it like to live in a state that isn't run by idiots?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

comes along bort posted:

It was the only way he could be truly impartial!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty par for the course when it comes to Republican committee chairmen
A truly representative government.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Literally The Worst posted:

jesus dude we get it you hate poors and think they're literally subhuman, lighten up

drive through PA.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UIApplication posted:

drive through PA.

done it many a time friend, i live in upstate NY and have family in NC, this does not make the people of that state subhuman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Literally The Worst posted:

That post reads less like "gently caress the poor" and more like "gently caress pennsyltuckians"

gently caress pennsyltuckians

• Locked thread