Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
RIP the brief period where you could get crazy item combos in greed mode I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Afterbirth made range and some synergies matter, while this new patch potentially makes damage/teara matter by not starting you with a weapon that can fairly trivially beat the chest/dark room. IDK how well those stats scale though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Afterbirth made range and some synergies matter, while this new patch potentially makes damage/teara matter by not starting you with a weapon that can fairly trivially beat the chest/dark room. IDK how well those stats scale though.

Poorly, I just played a Greed run with Azazel to try and unlock Lilith (what with not having unlocked her yet), and by the Womb I had picked up:

Coal
Growth Hormones
Cricket's Head
Synthoil
The Pact
and Magic Mushroom (among other things).

My Sacrificial Dagger that I picked up on the Basement devil deal was doing an order of magnitude more damage at similar range with no charge up time.

I died on the Womb because I couldn't damage Gurdy Jr quickly enough to tank the damage I was taking, and didn't have the speed to dodge at all reliably.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cool. Guess I'm not getting the devil room this floor then.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My Sacrificial Dagger that I picked up on the Basement devil deal was doing an order of magnitude more damage at similar range with no charge up time.

I died on the Womb because I couldn't damage Gurdy Jr quickly enough to tank the damage I was taking, and didn't have the speed to dodge at all reliably.

What do you bet they hosed up and set Azazel's damage multiplier from 1.50x to 0.15x instead of 1.15x or something?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Alabaster White posted:

What do you bet they hosed up and set Azazel's damage multiplier from 1.50x to 0.15x instead of 1.15x or something?

I might fire up cheat engine and have a look

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I was doing Lillith in greed mode and managed to get habit/battery and a fuckload of tear ups, then i accidently picked up antigravity followed by my reflection. Funny thing about the interaction between those is the tears no longer remain stationary and instead sweep back and forth, so you can poo poo out a massive chain of tears and basically whip them around like, well, a whip. I also used the habit to poo poo out a massive conga line of ultrafast spewing tear familiars so there was a literal tear storm flying around the greed arena haphazardly. I had a lot of +damage items as well so they melted greed in a few seconds. I think the only thing that would have made it even more amusing was tiny planet.

Oxyclean posted:

So now he's underpowered and always the same regardless of what you get. This feels like the worst place you can put a character because now they're totally reliant on getting something worthwhile.

I guess Cain is really the only remaining character that starts with decent offense?

It took me a few tries to get through greed with Azazel and yeah geeze he got mauled a bit. He's still 'easy' but the combo of range and much lower damage hurts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ed lied?

that is hilarious

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

After looking at Cheat Engine, the damage formula for Azazel is unchanged - base damage is still 5.25 (ie a multiplier of 1.5).

What I suspect is happening is that he now does some fraction (possibly 1/13?) of his damage per Brimstone tick rather than full damage per tick.

I'm going to check out regular Brimstone now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man azazel was my favorite character :smith:

I was really liking lilith as well but alright sure let's nerf all of the interesting ones

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So the puzzle was that there was no puzzle?

That's great

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Made for good entertainment at reddit.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I haven't bought the expansion yet, but God drat, Reddit nerds are foaming-at-the-mouth angry about the patch drama, which automatically makes it Game of the Year.

Azazel nerf sucks, since I liked playing him in Rebirth, so hopefully they hosed up somewhere.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bvoid posted:

I haven't bought the expansion yet, but God drat, Reddit nerds are foaming-at-the-mouth angry about the patch drama, which automatically makes it Game of the Year.

Azazel nerf sucks, since I liked playing him in Rebirth, so hopefully they hosed up somewhere.

yeah I really hope it was a mistake and not something they intended because it's a bummer

koren
Sep 7, 2003

bvoid posted:

What is with this bizarre attitude?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

koren posted:

What is with this bizarre attitude?

I enjoy watching people overreact and melt down over minor/inconsequential things. It's not something I'm particularly proud of.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SO, happened to get Spidermod as one of the first items in an Azazel greed mode thing, and his damage has just been straight nerfed by 60% (ie he now does 40% damage compared to prepatch).

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

SO, happened to get Spidermod as one of the first items in an Azazel greed mode thing, and his damage has just been straight nerfed by 60% (ie he now does 40% damage compared to prepatch).

Is his charge time increased as well? Someone posted that it had been.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bvoid posted:

I enjoy watching people overreact and melt down over minor/inconsequential things. It's not something I'm particularly proud of.

That happens with almost everything where something changes so you have a lot of things to enjoy.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Ha ha! I, too, hate people who use one of the most popular websites on the Internet for no apparent reason. HAHAAAA.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edmund Honda posted:

Is his charge time increased as well? Someone posted that it had been.

Yes, dramatically - more than doubled, I think (shot delay is now 39, I forget what it was in regular Rebirth)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Oh goddamn it. Got Ludovico with new lovely azazel and decided that would be a good run to fill out my post it and kill mega satan cause I got Ludovico on floor 1. Was cruising along and did boss rush too so also decided to do the Hush. Of course, because I didn't have the ending 17 yet(despite beating the Hush several times before including with azazel) it just ends my game after Hush. I had both pieces of the key too and would have easily beat MegaSatan. Stupid.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hush is harder than stan, so that's not that big of a loss.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, dramatically - more than doubled, I think (shot delay is now 39, I forget what it was in regular Rebirth)

>80% cut to DPS then :(

I maintain that it's a mistake. It's either a dumb mistake or an impulse decision by McMillen that he's enforced. Deciding to make that degree of balance change after the game's been out for 12 months and rolling it into Afterbirth would be a weird move. To drop it 4 days after is even weirder.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Brimstone was made completely useless in old Isaac in a patch, if you remember. He has form!

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I think they wanted to nerf Brim somehow now that it synergizes with stuff like triple/quad shot, but in doing so they accidentally hosed over Azazel.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Computer posted:

Exxxxxxxxplosive......... DIAHRRRRREAAAA

One makes you "larger" ;)

One makes you.."smaller" ;(

Your Computer posted:

Continuing the proud history of making insanely overpowered characters and nerfing them to become garbage.

...I'm looking at you, Samson.

Wait they made him poo poo!? But..how could McMillen do that to my favorite character?

Did he at least make Eve un-poo poo so that she could be, in some form, fun to play?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

IronicDongz posted:

Hush is harder than stan, so that's not that big of a loss.

It's azazel now though who sucks now so I'll have to get that far again. I'll do it but it's just a pain in the rear end and annoying the game ended instead of recognizing I'd beat him and let me keep going while unlocking the ending in the menu.

My couple fights against Mega so far seem to indicate they cut his HP by a lot. I remember him taking a really long time to kill.

Regarding azazel he still starts with flight so that's a pretty big thing to start with but the damage early on is pretty bad.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Edmund is tweeting that all the missing item stuff was due to a bug (caused by a "thing" in his words) and that people who think this was some revenge scheme on dataminers are paranoid. Also the Azazel nerf "didn't come out right" and will be fixed next patch.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Cicadalek posted:

Also the Azazel nerf "didn't come out right" and will be fixed next patch.

So they planned to nerf him, but decided to do it in a patch immediately after launching the expansion and not at any point in the 12 months previous?

They are just loving inept. Mystery Sack all over again

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ErIog posted:

I think they wanted to nerf Brim somehow now that it synergizes with stuff like triple/quad shot, but in doing so they accidentally hosed over Azazel.

That feels a bit silly because brimstone is an exceptionally rare on it's own. Isn't it also tagged to make finding other powerful items harder? I can't remember the last time I saw brimstone in a run, and multishot upgrades feel like they show up maybe 1 in 10 runs at best?

Cicadalek posted:

Edmund is tweeting that all the missing item stuff was due to a bug (caused by a "thing" in his words) and that people who think this was some revenge scheme on dataminers are paranoid. Also the Azazel nerf "didn't come out right" and will be fixed next patch.

I guess that's good to hear? But wasn't a bunch of stuff straight up not in the game? Either he's dumb to call people paranoid because he literally hosed with people and strung them along rather then saying "hey guys, its a bug, we're working on a fix."

I'm wondering if there's still more though. That other character dataminers found still doesn't seem to be fully implemented. Wonder if it even is anything, or something just for a daily challenge?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Mystery Sack was the perfect item, thematically, to have absolutely nothing happen when you picked it up. I think it was genius rather than a bug.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
So I got Dr Fetus, Monstro's Lung, Glitter Bombs, and abused the poo poo out of Luck Up pills with a Placebo. One attack throws out five or six bombs that poo poo items everywhere.

Also featured, that new Bomberman item, poison, confusion, burning, all that good stuff. Blue baby died in one attack. I think this is the dumbest the game's ever gotten for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Looks like the patch actually fixed whatever bug was making the game fail to load on my lovely old laptop.

Edit:

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 4, 2015

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah Glitter Bombs and the bomberman item can get you self-sustaining bombs with bonus other items. Pretty awesome combination.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

As annoying a boss Dingle is, the red variant absolutely saved my Greed run with Lazerous. Hiding behind red poops was the only way I survived those fly swarms from the Husk.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ErIog posted:

You got triple/quad brimstone before, it's not new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtLtOKmHVkw

(not my video)

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Okay, butt bombs + womb filter will tank my framerate. Good to know if I want to pick up the nappy item.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Just finished up my Demo Man challenge. So glad to see one of my favorite items, Dr. Fetus, is now kicking rear end for two. Even picked up the Spider Mod item, and it looked to be doing tear+bomb damage when I compared it to just a regular bomb. Also, the Hook Worm giving it Glitter Bombs was an unexpected synergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Edmund Honda posted:

So they planned to nerf him, but decided to do it in a patch immediately after launching the expansion and not at any point in the 12 months previous?

They are just loving inept. Mystery Sack all over again

I really don't know if he's being serious or not, because if he's 100% honest about all this being unintentional then it makes them come across as real bad at developing. Like, you couldn't boot up the game once and actually check that your Azreal change worked properly?