Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

PBCrunch posted:

I have a six year old lab/dachshund mix. She is a little pudgy, and I would like to teach her to play fetch for exercise. In the absence of treats, she will generally chase after a thrown ball or toy, but she generally will not bring it back.

The problem is that I can't see how to use treats to encourage her to bring the toy back to me. She is so treat motivated that whenever I am holding treats, or anything that could potentially hold/be treats, she is focused entirely on the potential treat.

How can I get my dog interested in playing fetch without getting treats involved. I saw a video of someone using a remote control treat dispense, but I'm not really sure that would even work.

We feed her Blue Buffalo grain free food, so I don't think she is malnourished or anything.

Some dogs don't like to play fetch. One of mine will retrieve a toy exactly once from a reasonable distance and if I throw it again he looks at me like "dude I just brought that back to you I'm not gonna go get it again".

Have you tried a flirtpole? It would probably engage her get the thing instincts and she might be more interested in it than fetching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Have you tried a flirtpole? It would probably engage her get the thing instincts and she might be more interested in it than fetching.

My Boston will *not* fetch, but he does love his flirt pole. He'll chase it until he flops down exhausted.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

PBCrunch posted:

I have a six year old lab/dachshund mix. She is a little pudgy, and I would like to teach her to play fetch for exercise. In the absence of treats, she will generally chase after a thrown ball or toy, but she generally will not bring it back.

The problem is that I can't see how to use treats to encourage her to bring the toy back to me. She is so treat motivated that whenever I am holding treats, or anything that could potentially hold/be treats, she is focused entirely on the potential treat.

How can I get my dog interested in playing fetch without getting treats involved. I saw a video of someone using a remote control treat dispense, but I'm not really sure that would even work.

We feed her Blue Buffalo grain free food, so I don't think she is malnourished or anything.

You can put the toy on a rope (like the flirtpole suggestions) or you can use two identical toys and shape the fetch behavior if she wants to pick it up and play keep away - which relies on the fact that a toy in motion is higher value than a toy she already has in her mouth. Basically start with really low criteria - looking back at you should earn a marker word and you throwing the other toy. If she's not interested in the second toy, ignore her, run to the new toy and start playing with it, making a fuss over it. If she still has no interest, then you're stuck with flirtpole/leashed toy or free shaping a retrieve to hand.

Free shaping the retrieve brings food into the mix and doesn't really build toy drive like toy-only methods. However, free shaping in general is a good exercise for getting really food motivated dogs to offer behaviors and interact with their environment in the presence of food. Google '101 things to do with a box' for a starting example. You can use her kibble and train for a meal every few days with good results.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.
Man my roommate and I have been seeing this Yorkie running around the parking lot of our apartment complex for weeks. We assumed it was a lost dog or stray, but last night we saw it again in the street on the other side of the buildings. I hopped out of the car and tried calling it, but then someone yelled for it from some bushes nearby and it disappeared in there. Upon closer inspection I realized said bushes obscured one of the first floor patios, and the people there just let their dog run in and out as it pleases. They yelled at me for trying to "steal" it. :downs:

I obviously reported this to management but I know it's not going to accomplish anything. I'm so afraid the little guy's going to get hit by a car. The parking lot where we usually see him isnt even close to being in view of that patio, not that that would make it better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I picked up a sleeping bag for Stanley so we can go camping/backpacking soon. I think he likes it. :3:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
After a brief bad stomach episode which led to a day of reduced food, Oren has awoken to the wonders of eating grass and dirt - and he won't loving stop! Anywhere there's a patch of natural, unmowed grass, he's stopping for a snack. I realize some level of grass eating is normal and acceptable, but he won't even use his normal bathroom area for bathrooming anymore, he just lays down and grazes instead. It's even worse than when he was trying to eat rocks all the time.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Happy Halloween! Bambi was a very good sport yesterday.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
Halloween!Bambi is adorbs :)

Finally had a good dog-dog interaction with Wraggler - end of a decent walk, and a young collie (possibly) girl was curious about her - wrags stopped and had a gentle sniff, then everyone walked on calmly.

It's a pity I know what she's like, fairly sure the next time she sees a black dog she'll have a freakout and try to be Murder-dog for a couple of minutes.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Kluliss posted:

Halloween!Bambi is adorbs :)

Finally had a good dog-dog interaction with Wraggler - end of a decent walk, and a young collie (possibly) girl was curious about her - wrags stopped and had a gentle sniff, then everyone walked on calmly.

It's a pity I know what she's like, fairly sure the next time she sees a black dog she'll have a freakout and try to be Murder-dog for a couple of minutes.

Bring her up Norf to meet my friendly black collie dawgs. GOON MEET.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Fraction posted:

Bring her up Norf to meet my friendly black collie dawgs. GOON MEET.

As long as they don't mind her yelling at them and chasing her around! (srsly, would love her to have interaction with other dogs, it's awkward as heck having to walk her at odd times just to avoid the field when it's full of dogs.)

Slightly miffed the other day though - on the (huge) field, I saw a group of people with about 5 off-lead dogs, which is fine...so I put wraggler on her lead and took her down the centre of the field, leaving about 100m between us and them...two dogs peeled off and came bounding over to say hi to her but all she saw was dogs running at her, and tried to respond accordingly. So far she doesn't bite, she just charges and tries to shoulder-barge them. (and on the lead she obvs can't get that far.)

Stupid dog, just be friends like you are with Rex, where you mostly ignore him and give him funny looks and whinge when he gets attention and you don't.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hi everyone -

I posted in this thread probably a year ago when I was starting to research getting my first dog. I really appreciate the resources that it and everyone posting in it have provided.

To recap my situation: I'm a prospective first-time dog owner. I live in an apartment, about .75 miles from the university where I work, and I work from home during part of the year. I have two roommates, both of whom friends who are responsible adults and experienced dog owners with complementary schedules to my own; there's also a doggie day care / socialization facility on my block. I've had preliminary discussions with my landlady about getting a puppy (currently up to her discretion in the lease) and with my HR manager about being able to bring my dog to work. That's just sort of an upshot of my life situation.

I have been looking for a dog that a) is well-tempered, intelligent, suitable for being around lots of people, and ideally also for therapy training, and b) I'm not allergic to it. I've always been drawn to Newfoundlands for a) (plus aesthetics), but I've been allergic to some of the Newfs I've been around.

In my research I stumbled across a vein of people who had Newf/poodle crossbreeds that reputedly had many of the temperamental and aesthetic characteristics of Newfs but were less likely to trigger allergies.* Those folks turned me toward a couple who lives in Michigan and breeds Newfypoos.

Now, the website, and the whole situation, has some of the hallmarks of the BYB danger zone described by the OP. I had a preliminary 40 minute phone conversation with the woman who runs it. Some of our conversation assuaged my fears -- they do vet care prior to adoption, invite everyone to an 'open house' to meet the puppies/dogs and see where they live, are willing to take the dog back if it doesn't work out, have an application, try to pair parents sensibly or at least intentionally, asked me a lot of questions about my own situation, etc. However, I'm still not sure how concerned I should be, given my constraints, goals, and general sanity-seeking.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has (or can help me form) something of a more informed opinion on whether or not this is likely to be an OK place to get a dog or a terrible sirens-alert never do this at all place to get a dog. That may not even be a coherent question to ask, but I'm still at the stage of trying to figure out what the right questions are, and appreciate any advice folks have on how to arrive there.

* I realize, per earlier conversations in the thread, that this kind of cross doesn't mean I'd not be allergic. If this route seemed promising, then my plan would be to attend the open house and make sure I spend lots of time burying my face in / being licked by newfypoos to see how I react, and to be totally willing to forego to the deposit and such if I show so much as a sneeze.

Petey fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

You know this is a BYB. It is very obviously a BYB. They have 5 litters due in the next month and none of the parents have had legitimate health testing. You are taking a huge gamble on buying (you don't adopt a dog from a breeder for $1,300) a puppy with serious genetic health and temperament problems. Both newfoundlands and poodles have some serious, common health problems that aren't going to go away just by crossbreeding untested stock.

If you are going to take the risk of getting a mutt puppy just rescue something poodley that doesn't make you wheeze at a shelter.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm sorry that wasn't very helpful. Here are some questions to ask yourself/the breeder while considering them.

What qualities do you hope the parents will bring to this litter? (color is not a good answer)
What health testing has been done on the parents? Can I see the result/are they published on OFFA?
How do you prove these dogs have an appropriate temperament? Have any of them been involved in service work or been certified to do therapy work? Can I talk to the owners who are doing those things?
What sort of early socialization and temperament testing do you do with the puppies before they are placed? What happens if a puppy does not have an appropriate temperament?
What temperament or health issues have been seen in the lines you breed? At what age have they occurred? How are you breeding away from them?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qareJ5yDyMA

Petey posted:

Hi everyone -

Hi.

quote:

I posted in this thread probably a year ago when I was starting to research getting my first dog. I really appreciate the resources that it and everyone posting in it have provided.

To recap my situation: I'm a prospective first-time dog owner. I live in an apartment, about .75 miles from the university where I work, and I work from home during part of the year. I have two roommates, both of whom friends who are responsible adults and experienced dog owners with complementary schedules to my own; there's also a doggie day care / socialization facility on my block. I've had preliminary discussions with my landlady about getting a puppy (currently up to her discretion in the lease) and with my HR manager about being able to bring my dog to work. That's just sort of an upshot of my life situation.

This sounds pretty good and you're doing well with keeping everyone up on what your plans are. Good.

quote:

I have been looking for a dog that a) is well-tempered, intelligent, suitable for being around lots of people, and ideally also for therapy training, and b) I'm not allergic to it. I've always been drawn to Newfoundlands for a) (plus aesthetics), but I've been allergic to some of the Newfs I've been around.

I legitimately would like to know which ones you're allergic to. You say some. It may be dander, it may be their shampoo, it could even be something in their enviroment or food that's setting off your allergies. Allergies are super tricky and if all of the newfs aren't setting you off, that's good. If you get a puppy, you'll likely have less issue with dander, etc since the puppy will be growing up around you and your senses will have a more gradual adjustment (other than the initial jump, of course).

quote:

In my research I stumbled across a vein of people who had Newf/poodle crossbreeds that reputedly had many of the temperamental and aesthetic characteristics of Newfs but were less likely to trigger allergies.* Those folks turned me toward a couple who lives in Michigan and breeds Newfypoos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs

quote:

Now, the website, and the whole situation, has some of the hallmarks of the BYB danger zone described by the OP. I had a preliminary 40 minute phone conversation with the woman who runs it. Some of our conversation assuaged my fears -- they do vet care prior to adoption, invite everyone to an 'open house' to meet the puppies/dogs and see where they live, are willing to take the dog back if it doesn't work out, have an application, try to pair parents sensibly or at least intentionally, asked me a lot of questions about my own situation, etc. However, I'm still not sure how concerned I should be, given my constraints, goals, and general sanity-seeking.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has (or can help me form) something of a more informed opinion on whether or not this is likely to be an OK place to get a dog or a terrible sirens-alert never do this at all place to get a dog. That may not even be a coherent question to ask, but I'm still at the stage of trying to figure out what the right questions are, and appreciate any advice folks have on how to arrive there.

* I realize, per earlier conversations in the thread, that this kind of cross doesn't mean I'd not be allergic. If this route seemed promising, then my plan would be to attend the open house and make sure I spend lots of time burying my face in / being licked by newfypoos to see how I react, and to be totally willing to forego to the deposit and such if I show so much as a sneeze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOy6hqzfsAs Again. This. She sounds like a BYB with C+ ethics. If you want to go bury your face in BYBs, man, feel free but make sure you clean up really well before you bring a puppy home. Even well kept kennels are breeding grounds for parvo like you wouldn't believe. I'm sure they're nice people who know how to talk to people very well. They may even have a passion for their dogs. But they're breeding two very different breeds to make... what? If their whole idealism is to make ~hypoallergenic~ dogs then you're barking up the wrong tree (and so are they). IJ's giving you pretty much all of the checklist I'd have. They have a shitload of puppies, a shitload of dogs and it honestly looks like all they breed are mutts that will sell to people who want a ~fancy~ poodle cross. After looking at their site, I wouldn't bother with them. They're BYB as hell and maybe you'd get lucky with a pup from them. Maybe it'd be everything you wanted. But you'd do better to visit newf breeders and rescues and just shove your face in them instead and not waste your time with people like newfypoo zoo.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 4, 2015

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Petey posted:

Hi everyone -

Why wouldn't you just get a poodle? Poodle crosses aren't all that likely to be low or no allergen. Standard poodles are pretty cool dogs, where as the Newf mix will remove some of their suitability as a pet.

To be frank, that breeder is a 100% clusterfuck. There are some breeders who successfully mix breeds to good purpose (like lurchers and other kinds of sporting/working breeds), but I don't see any point in the Newf/poodle cross -- or any of the other ~doodles~ they've mashed up. Their whole thing is just a money factory selling novelty dogs, with no regard for producing healthy, quality dogs. I mean, poo poo, they're breeding minis of the Newf/Poodles, and breeding for unusual size (small OR large) is a huge red flag of a poo poo breeder.

I strongly, strongly urge you to reconsider your interest in this breeder and this type of dog. Newfs are lovely, but not really the most optimal dogs for pet purposes. You really should look more into poodles, though, if your allergies are really going to be an issue. You can also contact local rescues and ask about dogs they have, and have the opportunity to visit in a foster home (an environment with fewer dogs than a full shelter or breeder facility) to get an idea of whether or not any particular dog is going to trigger you.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lol they breed like 3 different types of mutt and even have the quintessential byb ratdog page down to the bug eyed puppy pictures

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I am Fritz .. I am the new Daddy for the Havanese, Maltese, and Shih Tzu girls. I am a purebred Havanese. I am 15 months old and I have all different colors in my bloodline. I came from a pet store after living my first 6 months in a cage waiting for someone to want me.

purposeful breeding

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah don't spend a big pile of money on a dog from these people.

also jesus why would you want a newfoundland in an apartment? is part of the 'aesthetic' appeal not being able to turn around?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Guava posted:

This is pretty common. Dogs tend to get territorial over something they consider "their" place, especially if it's somewhere they sleep like a bed. Also, I've known many dogs who get super cranky at night. Plus she's probably the jealous type!

She's so weird but a total cuddlebug. She was in my lap and the cat jumped on my other leg, there was a very low vocalization, but with a small "hush" and scirtching she ignored the cat and went back to cuddling til i shoo'd them both off to do something later.

She will ignore her food and would prefer to try and eat the cats food to the point of ignoring her own food to stare at the cats eating.
She won't chase them off their bowls, but she'll totally go over when they walk away.
Still will ignore her food (unless she eats out of protection like seeing a cat come near it but it would only be a few bites then standing guard) even with ~15 minutes or it gets taken up. (doing this twice a day, and same fore the cats)
No possessive reaction to us taking it, you can tell she wants it, but if you put it back down she'd promptly ignore it.

Ideally i'd like to set down their foods, everybody eats and i pick up three clean bowls twice a day, but who knows.

Edit: Part of it is the cat is an rear end in a top hat too. She jump started things after they were cuddle friends. She started grooming Aida then, like she does to the other cat, gave a nibble on her neck. Aida was having none of it and let her know rather quickly with a snarl/bark and chase off and things have been not as settled since.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 4, 2015

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Petey posted:

Terrible poo poo that will cost you while you go into debt trying to save a puppy you have come to love

Bad breeders can throw out "vet visit before you buy!!!!" as much as they want but genetic problems can AND DO pop up months down the road that no vet could predict in an 15 min first checkup. My boss's wife bought a dog off a woman who got it from a pet store. SUPRISE LIVER PROBLEMS FOUR MONTHS IN WOOOO and then it died agonizingly and expensively a year and a half later to their heartbreak :)

Edit: also with that many litters at once there is no way those puppies are getting the kind of socialization that separates a good breeder from a poo poo one.

Just get a loving poodle. poodles are amazing. What is it with people wanting to not just get a loving poodle??? They come in three different sizes! They come in brindle and parti! Assholes who mash two COMPLETELY different breeds together without considering about how the bred behaviors will conflict and gently caress the resulting dogs up can get hosed.

Tasty_Crayon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Alright, I need some help and advice. I posted a few days ago about a dog we adopted, and my main concern at the time was acclimating them to our home with 2 cats. Diamond, our new 7 year old lab mix, doesn't really care much about the cats now. They hang out in the same room, within feet of each other, no issues. That turned out to be easier than I thought. What's becoming a challenge is crating Diamond.

We have a lot of background information on her, medical history is clean. She was with a single family since she was 12 weeks old until about 6 weeks ago when she was surrendered to a county run shelter and she spent about 4 weeks there before we adopted her. We were told they previous owners couldn't take her with them, wherever they were going. She's up to date on shots, and we are going to our vet Saturday to have her checked out again. The only thing we have no info on is if she was ever crated, though I can't imagine she wasn't.

We went out last week for 90 minutes and she went to the bathroom in a few spots in the house. Big mistake on our part, we didn't have a crate. Ordered one that night. I started working on crate training from things I've read online. Treats in crate, putting her in for 5-10 minutes and leaving the room, giving a treat when we let her out, not using it for punishment, all those things. It seemed like it was going ok, until tonight.

Crated her for a little over 2 hours, came home and she had pooped and it was all over her and the crate. Maybe this was my fault, she was walked 30 minutes before we left, pooped and peed, we fed her then left. Maybe I should have walked her again or waited until later to feed her. I know she has separation anxiety so we fill a Kong with treats before we go out, her crate has a blanket covering it as well to try and help her. Now I'm really scared that tonight might have made her more anxious about the crate and being alone.

Thankfully, I can work from home a few days a week and I have been since we adopted her a week ago. But, I do need to actually go to work next week a few days, and my wife can't work from home, so we're nervous about leaving her when we are both around an hour away.

So, I'm asking for some help. Am I going about this the wrong way? Are there other methods I should try? Giving her back is not an option, we adopted her, she's not going back to a shelter, it would break our hearts, and hers.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

toplitzin posted:

She's so weird but a total cuddlebug. She was in my lap and the cat jumped on my other leg, there was a very low vocalization, but with a small "hush" and scirtching she ignored the cat and went back to cuddling til i shoo'd them both off to do something later.

She will ignore her food and would prefer to try and eat the cats food to the point of ignoring her own food to stare at the cats eating.
She won't chase them off their bowls, but she'll totally go over when they walk away.
Still will ignore her food (unless she eats out of protection like seeing a cat come near it but it would only be a few bites then standing guard) even with ~15 minutes or it gets taken up. (doing this twice a day, and same fore the cats)
No possessive reaction to us taking it, you can tell she wants it, but if you put it back down she'd promptly ignore it.

Ideally i'd like to set down their foods, everybody eats and i pick up three clean bowls twice a day, but who knows.

Edit: Part of it is the cat is an rear end in a top hat too. She jump started things after they were cuddle friends. She started grooming Aida then, like she does to the other cat, gave a nibble on her neck. Aida was having none of it and let her know rather quickly with a snarl/bark and chase off and things have been not as settled since.

Feed the cats on a counter where she can't see them?

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Just get a loving poodle. poodles are amazing. What is it with people wanting to not just get a loving poodle??? They come in three different sizes! They come in brindle and parti! Assholes who mash two COMPLETELY different breeds together without considering about how the bred behaviors will conflict and gently caress the resulting dogs up can get hosed.

To quote my girlfriend, "We are not getting a loving froufrou dog."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tensokuu posted:

Poodles are basically one of the least froufrou dogs ever and can be incredible atheletes. Get a black one and keep it cut low if need be, but poodles are badass.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah poodles are cool.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Tensokuu posted:

based on the experience I had with one of my neighbors a full sized poodle could kick your rear end

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ugh look at this useless piece of poo poo

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
This past weekend my wife and I saw the perfect owner resembles dog situation. It was a black poodle and a middle aged woman in a wind/track suit that I would describe as "prancy" with an early 80s classic rock perm mullet nearly identical to the poodle.

God dammit I wish I got that photo.

But yeah poodles are one of the smartest dog breeds.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

I really appreciate all of this. It's funny: I talked through this with a lot of my friends (who in fairness aren't dog owners or at best grew up with dogs they didn't themselves buy) and they were like "wow you are really doing your research way to go" and then y'all drop a ton of highly specific knowledge on me. It's really seriously helpful.

Instant Jellyfish, you've already given me some great followup questions to talk to them about, and see what the answers are (even though I fully understand why the strong signal from y'all is STAY AWAY).

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I legitimately would like to know which ones you're allergic to. You say some. It may be dander, it may be their shampoo, it could even be something in their enviroment or food that's setting off your allergies. Allergies are super tricky and if all of the newfs aren't setting you off, that's good. If you get a puppy, you'll likely have less issue with dander, etc since the puppy will be growing up around you and your senses will have a more gradual adjustment (other than the initial jump, of course).

Is there a way to know? All I know is that whenever I've been around any of my friends dogs -- typical family dogs, labs goldens collies etc -- I start hacking and sneezing pretty quick, especially if they lick me and that saliva gets anywhere near my eyes.

I know from past allergy panel tests that I react to whatever dog saliva they have in a standard panel.

I have already scheduled to go visit the Newf AKC get-together in late November and my plan is to go maul some well-managed newfs and see how hosed up I get allergywise.

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Just get a loving poodle. poodles are amazing. What is it with people wanting to not just get a loving poodle???

When I was reading through the literature it seemed like a lot of the breed temperament issues -- protectiveness, prone to separation anxiety, barking, any of the things here -- were not things that I wanted, beyond and above the frou-frou stuff.

Serella posted:

Standard poodles are pretty cool dogs, where as the Newf mix will remove some of their suitability as a pet.

Can you say a little more about what you mean by this?

Petey fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 4, 2015

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Petey posted:

I really appreciate all of this. It's funny: I talked through this with a lot of my friends (who in fairness aren't dog owners or at best grew up with dogs they didn't themselves buy) and they were like "wow you are really doing your research way to go" and then y'all drop a ton of highly specific knowledge on me. It's really seriously helpful.

Instant Jellyfish, you've already given me some great followup questions to talk to them about, and see what the answers are (even though I fully understand why the strong signal from y'all is STAY AWAY).

Is there a way to know? All I know is that whenever I've been around any of my friends dogs -- typical family dogs, labs goldens collies etc -- I start hacking and sneezing pretty quick, especially if they lick me and that saliva gets anywhere near my eyes.

I know from past allergy panel tests that I react to whatever dog saliva they have in a standard panel.

I have already scheduled to go visit the Newf AKC get-together in late November and my plan is to go maul some well-managed newfs and see how hosed up I get allergywise.

When I was reading through the literature it seemed like a lot of the breed temperament issues -- protectiveness, prone to separation anxiety, barking, any of the things here -- were not things that I wanted, beyond and above the frou-frou stuff.

Poodles really aren't any more prone to separation anxiety, protectiveness, or barking than any other breed. They are wicked smart and the stereotypical show poodle coat is something you can easily decline. The only caveat I'd throw in is that their coats do require grooming (they have hair, not fur so you have to keep it clipped or it will mat and be gross) but throwing newf in the mix will not change that and has a chance of giving you a coat that is even HARDER to deal with

Edit: seriously go find some standard poodles to play with they are great

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Petey posted:

The thing about mixing two different breeds is that you are basically deleting the reasons for getting a particular breed. Any breed characteristics, physical or temperamental, run the risk of being lost.

If the aesthetic of a newf appeals to you, look for a newf breeder. Otherwise, will you be satisfied if you end up with basically a larger hairier black labradoodle? Since they aren't bred to any sort of standard* or working ability and are a mix of two very different dogs, it's pretty much a total crapshoot on what your dog would look and act like.

If you want a huge chill black dog, just get a newf from parents whose temperament you like and who arent from lines that die super young. If you're mixing another breed into the equation, unless the people know exactly wtf they're doing (eg lurchers), you're best off doing as IJ said initially and go cuddle some nice rescue puppies until you find one you don't react (too severely) to.

You might also be interested in researching labradoodles more thoroughly. I can't remember his name, but I know that the guy who first purposefully created doodles (for hypoallergenic service dogs) deeply regrets it. When the resulting doodles had allergy tests of some sort, not every single one was "hypoallergenic". I have a friend who works with guide dogs, and there is no doodles there for a reason.

* I can't believe I'm typing about breeding to standard .___. blah!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Petey posted:

Petey posted:

Petey posted:

allergy to dog saliva

Petey posted:

newfoundland

:psyboom:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
get a poodle dude

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

There ARE dry mouthed newfs out there, but they're pretty hard to find and kind of "freaks" in their own breed.

Petey posted:

I'm legit interested by this because dog saliva is one of the weirdest/neatest reactions I've seen in a long time. Still, go and get mauled about properly. And take some benadryl.

quote:

To be honest, a newf will probably be more prone to all of that on all fronts than a poodle (except maybe protectiveness but I've seen ones with huge attitudes- there's three down the road from me that'll eat your soul if you get in their pen with them). It's not a guarantee that your dog will have any of these issues, though, and none of those are untrainable to fix. Especially if you're getting a puppy, man. They're basically soft, derpy blobs to work with and you can nip things in the bud once you start to recognize them.

quote:

Can you say a little more about what you mean by this

Poodles have had a lot of their drive bred down to something managable. Newfs are still very much water rescue dogs that will go get loving Anything out of the water just because they see it out there. They're basically ducks in dog bodies. They're a fantastic breed and I adore'em, but just from what you're saying I dunno if you really want 150 pounds of soaking wet, drool-flying-everywhere canine so proud of itself that it went and got The Stick from the sewer-scented water. I adore newfs. They're definitely high on my "I want these dogs" list. I just dunno that it's a super great fit for what you're looking for in a dog. But man, you are definitely putting in the effort to educate yourself and that's commendable.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Poodles really aren't any more prone to separation anxiety, protectiveness, or barking than any other breed.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

To be honest, a newf will probably be more prone to all of that on all fronts than a poodle (except maybe protectiveness but I've seen ones with huge attitudes- there's three down the road from me that'll eat your soul if you get in their pen with them).

Ok, see, this is interesting -- I'd been relying on breed description sides, AKC standards, etc, to talk about this, and hadn't gotten this impression (quite the opposite). Which is sort of epistemically frustrating, but yolo.

Fraction posted:

You might also be interested in researching labradoodles more thoroughly. I can't remember his name, but I know that the guy who first purposefully created doodles (for hypoallergenic service dogs) deeply regrets it. When the resulting doodles had allergy tests of some sort, not every single one was "hypoallergenic". I have a friend who works with guide dogs, and there is no doodles there for a reason.

Ok, I'll look that up. I'll also note that I looked at Portuguese water dogs as hypoallergenic training dogs, but basically everything I read said that they have too much energy to be humanely raised in an apartment, and have a penchant for chewing when frustrated, which is a) bad in an apartment in general b) especially bad when some of the wood moulding in the apartment *may* still have lead in the paint. Bouviers are reputedly hypoallergenic but also especially challenging for first time owners and high drive/protection which is not what I want.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There ARE dry mouthed newfs out there, but they're pretty hard to find and kind of "freaks" in their own breed.

Yeah, and it seems like AKC etc won't acknowledge them (because drooling heavily, or rather the jowls that enable it, is part of the ~*~standard~*~), so it doesn't really help me in terms of BYB.

quote:

I'm legit interested by this because dog saliva is one of the weirdest/neatest reactions I've seen in a long time. Still, go and get mauled about properly. And take some benadryl.

I thought that saliva was a pretty standard allergen (or medium of allergens)? It's noticeable though; my best friend has a golden, and I can like sit on his couch fine, but as soon as she licks my hands, and hands inevitably get near my face, it's game over. You should have seen me blister up where they put the cat saliva in me.

I will *bring* some benadryl/claritin, although part of the goal is to blow up to see how allergic I am.

quote:

. I adore newfs. They're definitely high on my "I want these dogs" list. I just dunno that it's a super great fit for what you're looking for in a dog. But man, you are definitely putting in the effort to educate yourself and that's commendable.

That's possibly the case. I had thought they were a good fit bc of everything I had read about them being docile enough for an apartment and ideally tempered to work in therapy and around a lot of people. But maybe not.

I note that I'm also extremely willing to be talked out of this, i.e. not only this breeder but sort of the whole plan of action which sees me trying to get a dog with the qualities I want in the life situation I'm in (which is why I led with those facts). Like I'm open to the idea that me being able to do this as well as I would like is incommensurable with present facts, and to put off getting a dog until it really seems like the right thing for all involved. I'm at a point in my life where I think I am willing to accept the tradeoff of my own independence and autonomy for the companionship of a particular kind of fluffy friend, but I can and intend to wait until I'm like 1000% sure.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

In that case, have you considered just volunteering and doing like, dog walks for your local humane society? The dogs love any second they get out of those kennels.

I'm definitely not trying to dissuade you from getting a dog. It doesn't sound like it's impossible for you. And I've heard of cat saliva allergies, but I hadn't seen dog saliva ones. Bouvs are exceptional dogs but definitely not one I'd put in the hands of a new owner. They're like giant schanuzers with anger management issues in my experience. Two other breeds I fuckin adore right there, honestly, but probably wouldn't have. :3: Though mentioning giant schnauzers reminds me of the duo who made sure nobody hosed with the horses at my riding stable as a kid.

AKC doesn't acknowledge dry mouthed newfs for the same reason it doesn't acknowledge great danes 28.9 inches and under: they're loving stupid. A newf can have jowels and not drool all over itself and be a huge gross animal. A dane can measure 27" and be a dane in every regard and hey maybe it doesn't die when it's 6. This doesn't even relate to the conversation other than it makes me mad about the AKC. Don't always assume the AKC has the best in mind for any single breed of dog. English Bulldogs are a perfect example of that. But I will give you that they're about the only stud book registry in the country that actually keeps lists that are helpful to the general dog owner.

You said you were meeting up with newf enthusiasts. Go meet up with poodle enthusiasts too. If you looked at portugese water dogs, I sincerely bet you'll be into poodles as much as you are newfs. And have you looked at otterhounds, since you seem to like water dogs?

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

I will just say for the record that it sort of bothers me when people are always pushing me/others to get poodles when we aren't particularly interested. I've known many poodles personally and they are great dogs... For someone else. Their personality is not at all what I personally like in a dog, though, and people never seem to be able to comprehend that? Also, I would never ever recommend a standard to someone living in an apartment (not that I'd particularly recommend a newf either, but at least they're lower energy comparatively).

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Guava posted:

I will just say for the record that it sort of bothers me when people are always pushing me/others to get poodles when we aren't particularly interested. I've known many poodles personally and they are great dogs... For someone else. Their personality is not at all what I personally like in a dog, though, and people never seem to be able to comprehend that? Also, I would never ever recommend a standard to someone living in an apartment (not that I'd particularly recommend a newf either, but at least they're lower energy comparatively).

I guess I just assume that if someone is actively looking to drop 2 grand on a poodle mix, with a high likelihood of having various poodle traits, that they don't hate poodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
people recommend poodles because its fuckin retarded to get a lovely doodle with god only knows what temperament and no health testing bc you want a curly looking dog when instead you could just go get a fuckin poodle and have a very good chance of getting a dog who doesnt suck

seriously doodles are basically "i want a poodle but stupid and with a bunch of health and temperament issues" or alternatively "i want a golden but trendier"