Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Khisanth Magus posted:

I used to really like trillian. It really sucks these days though.

I thought everyone on the planet had abandoned MSN / Yahoo / AOL / Google Talk etc messengers for iMessage/SMS or Facebook messenger years ago.

Who's left that's tech-savvy enough to be looking for a third-party app but doesn't have a smartphone?

evol262 posted:

Google Reader RIP

:rip:
I've been using Feedly since Reader died, but I miss being able to share articles with my google contacts easily. And then they had that weird Google Buzz experiment, and then the whole thing died. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Entropic posted:

I thought everyone on the planet had abandoned MSN / Yahoo / AOL / Google Talk etc messengers for iMessage/SMS or Facebook messenger years ago.

Who's left that's tech-savvy enough to be looking for a third-party app but doesn't have a smartphone?

I've been using Feedly since Reader died, but I miss being able to share articles with my google contacts easily. And then they had that weird Google Buzz experiment, and then the whole thing died. :smith:

I thought the same until I started working at this company. They are still widely used in some industries. Interesting article on it here: http://qz.com/321355/oil-traders-in-europe-are-amazingly-still-addicted-to-yahoo-instant-messenger/

I use feedly and it works well enough, still I think RSS is on its way out as more and more sites require you to go to the site directly to get more page views and chase ad dollars.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Trillian has a business option, otherwise the free version will just bitch at you every few months that you aren't giving them money and you should feel bad about that.

Entropic posted:

Google Talk/chat *is* android's equivalent to iMessage. Most people I talk with nowadays I do through Google, but I have a few people on AIM so i keep that around for legacy purposes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Entropic posted:

I still have Pidgin auto-launching on startup at home. Facebook chat stopped working with it though, so I am finding less and less of a reason to bother.

Also, the floor of the NYSE is soundtracked by AIM chat pings.

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

We've been using AIM for years - the in house script that was originally intended to be our 'aim" chat is so wonky they just said, eh, whatevs.

I still kinda chuckle at the one person here who actually uses AIM and not a chat client.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Inspector_666 posted:

I still have Pidgin auto-launching on startup at home. Facebook chat stopped working with it though, so I am finding less and less of a reason to bother.

...Facebook chat works with Trillian!

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...Facebook chat works with Trillian!

AND! Trillian is way fun to say.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember at one point drat near everyone I knew was on MSN Messenger and LiveJournal and now I'm not sure if either of those even still exist.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Entropic posted:

I remember at one point drat near everyone I knew was on MSN Messenger and LiveJournal and now I'm not sure if either of those even still exist.

MSN Messenger has basically been subsumed by Skype, but LJ is totally still a thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I would have thought tumblr just obsoleted LJ entirely. I guess some people will cling to whatever platform they started on forever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The commenting on LJ is a a lot easier to have conversations on than Tumblr; they're not strictly overlapping (though the userbase is, yeah).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Really, it's facebook that replaced LJ. And MySpace, and every other such platform.
Tumblr kind of serves a different function.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Livejournal got bought by Russians and these days has a heavily Russian userbase.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Let me link you to my Xanga

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
IRC FOR LYFE

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

A passive-aggressive comic came in.

Supervisor walked in and, laughing, pinned this to my bulletin board:

I'm going to change the text in the second panel to "It really sucks when you try for two years to do anything, but your rear end in a top hat supervisor cockblocks you every step of the way because he's an insecure autist."

I'm going to title it "2 weeks notice."

We have a plan, ladies and gentlemen.
While your plan is a good plan, that supervisor is more in need of a punch in the mouth than anyone else on Earth.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Eh, he's on the way out. My last two weeks at the "Worst Job Ever" were the most relaxed and stress free I'd ever had in the organization because I just didn't give a gently caress anymore. And that my friends is a beautiful place to be.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Eh, he's on the way out. My last two weeks at the "Worst Job Ever" were the most relaxed and stress free I'd ever had in the organization because I just didn't give a gently caress anymore. And that my friends is a beautiful place to be.

I live everyday like this.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

I live everyday like this.

Ok Peter.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

h34rts posted:

IRC FOR LYFE

IRC is still superior to every other chat option out there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FireSight posted:

IRC is still superior to every other chat option out there.

You don't like slack?

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
Several tickets came in.

Applications connecting to SQL databases are running extremely slowly. Now, I know next to nothing about SQL server, but the fact is that 3 weeks ago the largest database on the server was 2 GB. We moved a 30 GB database to the server and it started lagging. There's just me and my boss and this happened while he was away and I checked the server, saw that memory demand was very gigh (95% of 16GB), so I gave it another 8 GB and restarted it. Everything went back to normal but RAM consumption was rising steadily. Yesterday it got to 95% again and apps started lagging. My bosses response: he limited available memory for the server to 8GB! And we started rebuilding indexes of tables. Again, I know nothing about SQL but this seems insane to me. Naturally, everyone is pissed because poo poo's not working and he's spent two working days tinkering with the server. My pleas to increase available memory do nothing but annoy him.

I don't get it... He's a hero to me but he's acting really weirdly here. Surely, the proper approach here is to fix the immediate problem with giving ite more space to breathe and start searching for a solution, right?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
Without getting too deep into DBA land, it's not uncommon for a misconfigured SQL Server to grab every scrap of memory on the server, to the point the OS begins to starve. If your database was set to go full bore, then no, your boss is probably on the right track.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

You don't like slack?

Slack is basically IRC.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A properly configured database will suck up almost all of the memory so that it can store data that it thinks will be useful in memory.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zhiwau posted:

Several tickets came in.

Applications connecting to SQL databases are running extremely slowly. Now, I know next to nothing about SQL server, but the fact is that 3 weeks ago the largest database on the server was 2 GB. We moved a 30 GB database to the server and it started lagging. There's just me and my boss and this happened while he was away and I checked the server, saw that memory demand was very gigh (95% of 16GB), so I gave it another 8 GB and restarted it. Everything went back to normal but RAM consumption was rising steadily. Yesterday it got to 95% again and apps started lagging. My bosses response: he limited available memory for the server to 8GB! And we started rebuilding indexes of tables. Again, I know nothing about SQL but this seems insane to me. Naturally, everyone is pissed because poo poo's not working and he's spent two working days tinkering with the server. My pleas to increase available memory do nothing but annoy him.

I don't get it... He's a hero to me but he's acting really weirdly here. Surely, the proper approach here is to fix the immediate problem with giving ite more space to breathe and start searching for a solution, right?

If you give it 64GB of memory, it'll still eat it all.

The SQL agent should be managing that. If anything, applications connecting to SQL should be getting faster. If they aren't, you have one of two problems:

Applications are running on the SQL server itself. If so, stop that. Run them on app servers.

Or...

The database is badly architected, indexes are wrong, the disks are slower than the old server, the logging disk is too slow, there's a lot of tempdb activity and it's not configured right, or one of a million other reasons that need an actual DBA to look at them. Do you have one of those?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Our MS SQL DBAs set them up to use a maximum of Total available RAM - 1GB, of course they do this manually and I hate touching anything that is MS SQL administration related, but that's what they do.

Also doesn't hurt to check the SSMS performance reports.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Zhiwau posted:

Several tickets came in.

SQL DB base config is to use up all (or nearly all) available memory, it needs to be limited properly, I don't know if this is a per database config or per sql install configuration though. These are just things I hear from the other guys on my team.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

MF_James posted:

SQL DB base config is to use up all (or nearly all) available memory, it needs to be limited properly, I don't know if this is a per database config or per sql install configuration though. These are just things I hear from the other guys on my team.

A default database instance in MSSQL is set to use 12423464326MB (or something close to a weird number like that) of memory unless you change it. Which if you don't you get to experience the beauty of page file access speed.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

evol262 posted:

If you give it 64GB of memory, it'll still eat it all.

I'm not in IT, but is this true even though the DB itself is only 30 GB? Seems weird to me that a database can load more info into RAM than it actually contains.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SQL Server will use all available memory for cache to speed up response times, typically storing frequently used indexes there. It's a "nice" memory allocation though, so if any other application requests memory SQL Server will release the requested amount. This is why you shouldn't run anything but SQL Server on your database machine, because this reallocation takes time and hurts performance.

As evol says, slow database performance can be due to a multitude of reasons, but the most common ones are poorly written queries, poor indexes or bad storage layout (data and log on the same disk is a big one). Most of these issues are sneaky because they don't show up when you only work with a small amount of data, but then you load up a lot of data, do a full table scan from disk and hit a wall of molasses.

totalnewbie posted:

I'm not in IT, but is this true even though the DB itself is only 30 GB? Seems weird to me that a database can load more info into RAM than it actually contains.
It will pre-allocate the memory even if nothing is stored there, since memory allocation is a fairly expensive task performance-wise. Same thing with space in data files. Even if you drop a large table the data file won't shrink unless you explicitly tell it to, since that saves time and improves performance when data needs to be written again.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 4, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Alighieri posted:

A default database instance in MSSQL is set to use 12423464326MB (or something close to a weird number like that) of memory unless you change it. Which if you don't you get to experience the beauty of page file access speed.

*edit* derp I read it again, it's per DB instance not the actual sql install. READING IS HARD OK!?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Per SQL Server instance, but in SQL Server 2012 and later you can use Resource Governor to limit or prioritise resources per database.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

h34rts posted:

IRC FOR LYFE
I still use IRC unironically. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Raise your hand if you have a registered copy of mIRC.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I actually do. Got tired of seeing Khaled's face every time. My license is probably on some abandoned hotmail account though. :(

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zhiwau posted:

Several tickets came in.

Like everyone else said, the real answer is in how that 2GB database or the apps that connect to it are designed. If they're doing table scans or other dumb things, you didn't notice it before because the entire 2GB database was sitting in memory. Now that there's that other 30GB database there, it's caching what it can and some or all queries against that 2GB database are now hitting disk. You've always had a problem, but now it's apparent. It's a fixable problem, because a 2GB database is microscopic.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Apparently in my companies industry yim is so thoroughly entrenched that it'll never go away.
AIM is entrenched in my industry....

Inspector_666 posted:

(that industry), but regulations and consensus interpretations of regulations have made it so that I was able to exclude AIM through policy. If you're in a regulated industry, you may be able to make a case for migrating away.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

You don't like slack?

Slack is great, I just wish other people in my company would use it. I sign in daily, and it's tumbleweeds pretty much all day long.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Newsblur is an excellent rss reader. Better than the old google reader for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

*raises hand*

I paid half price, thanks online coupons!

• Locked thread