Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Manky posted:

Once you're in the About part of your profile it's in the Contact Information card. If it's not set there, I would add it. My problem was with my home address, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same or similar dumb thing was happening to you. When I moved, I corrected it in Now, but using Now I would always get a card prompting me if I wanted to use my old address - even after two weeks of daily commuting, without going back to the old address, and daily correcting the address in Now. When updating other info I finally got to my G+ profile and saw it had the old address; I changed it, updated my privacy settings, and that was that.

OK, well I've updated it there, but I have to say I'm kind of sceptical that that's going to make any difference. It seems like just a freeform text field - it didn't do any searching, drop-down suggestions or any form of validation on the address that I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Anyone know how to keep an app out of the share menu? Today's pushbullet update added "direct share" on marshmallow which clutters up my share menu with a bunch of crap i will never use. I hate it. I stopped using messenger for the same reason.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I know you can replace the share menu with alternates, but I don't have any specific recommendations. The only one I'm finding (I guess searching for "share" is too general!) is this app that hasn't been updated in almost three years, but it lets you hide apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andmadesoft.share

EDIT:
Here's another I've read about in the past.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oakstar.fliktu

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 3, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

With Android Pay v1.1, it is possible to use the app without having a credit card attached to it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Does this mean I can actually use my $75+ Google Survey Funbux on actual things?

VVVV drat.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 4, 2015

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Does this mean I can actually use my $75+ Google Survey Funbux on actual things?
No, that is Play store credit, it can only be used on apps/media.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FlyingCheese posted:

VVVV drat.

JESUS just buy some random poo poo

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Google is getting awful judgey....

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

deong posted:

Google is getting awful judgey....

"This survey sponsored by MetLife Life Insurance"

we know the truth now and your rates are going up buckaroo

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

JESUS just buy some random poo poo

It's not that I don't. I just constantly get surveys. I get at minimum 2 a day, sometimes as many as 5. See, Google thinks I'm CEO of some Fortune 500 company or something (when I'm just self employed), despite repeatedly asking me how many employees I have (1), it still asks me tons of questions related to business IT security, automotive parts, insurance, advertising, etc. On top of that, it also is playing 20 (thousand) Questions trying to figure out what exactly it is that I do - and failing miserably at it. I have always answered honestly, I don't fudge anything, I guess I somehow got lumped in the 'Bigshot Millionaire' demographic, which apparently is highly valuable data.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I installed this rewards app like two months ago and haven't gotten a single survey. No one cares about small Midwest towns. :/

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I just installed it and got a survey about AdWords. I told it I have never used AdWords and it gave me a dollar. Seems great so far.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Uthor posted:

I installed this rewards app like two months ago and haven't gotten a single survey. No one cares about small Midwest towns. :/

I live in a small midwest town, but this describes how Google surveys treats me pretty well:

FlyingCheese posted:

It's not that I don't. I just constantly get surveys. I get at minimum 2 a day, sometimes as many as 5. See, Google thinks I'm CEO of some Fortune 500 company or something (when I'm just self employed), despite repeatedly asking me how many employees I have (1), it still asks me tons of questions related to business IT security, automotive parts, insurance, advertising, etc. On top of that, it also is playing 20 (thousand) Questions trying to figure out what exactly it is that I do - and failing miserably at it. I have always answered honestly, I don't fudge anything, I guess I somehow got lumped in the 'Bigshot Millionaire' demographic, which apparently is highly valuable data.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Most of my surveys are location-based, usually Target or CVS. It was fun when I was in Memphis on a work trip and I got like 4 surveys asking if I had been near a Hilton. During a 2 day trip.

Those questions are typically followed by "rate your experience", so I suspect they may be using those ratings to generate overall star ratings on Google Maps.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I don't know if this should go in the app thread, or the regular Android thread. I've tried googling but am failing badly. With an Android phone that has caller id set to not send, is there an app, or a way, to override that for specific numbers? There are certain people that I call who won't answer if the number is private, so I'd like to have it so the number is shown to them without having to go through the faff of disabling and enabling sending of caller ID.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Uthor posted:

Make sure you actually open and sign up for it. I always forget after I wipe my phone, play will auto install rewards but then I don't think about opening it up and setting up my account.

Otherwise, go to CVS/Walgreens more?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

With an Android phone that has caller id set to not send, is there an app, or a way, to override that for specific numbers? There are certain people that I call who won't answer if the number is private, so I'd like to have it so the number is shown to them without having to go through the faff of disabling and enabling sending of caller ID.

quote:

On GSM mobile networks, callers may dial *31# before the number they wish to call to enable caller ID.

You should be able to just prefix the contacts who insist on caller ID with *31#.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

the nicker posted:

Anyone know how to keep an app out of the share menu? Today's pushbullet update added "direct share" on marshmallow which clutters up my share menu with a bunch of crap i will never use. I hate it. I stopped using messenger for the same reason.

I've noticed there are annoyingly two different share menus on marshmallow/Nexus 6P.

1.) Go look at a picture in your gallery (in my case Photos) and click the share icon and you will see a list in order of most used (it appears).

2.) Open the camera app and click the last picture you took (bottom right). Now click the share button and you will see a different menu.

The second option is the one that has the annoying Pushbullet and Messenger icons now. I really only use pushbullet to push things from my computer to a device and to monitor notifications. If I want to send something to a device I would much rather click the pushbullet icon than have all of these annoying ones visible at the top of the share list. I don't use Messenger at all and I would love to remove that row of icons.

This is the annoying one that we're talking about. Maybe it's only available inside the camera app?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Apps can either use the Android share function or roll their own.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

Otherwise, go to CVS/Walgreens more?

This. I recently got two "when was the last time you visited Walgreens" type questions within five minutes or each other. At this point, most of my paid apps have been bought because my train station is next to a Walgreens.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

beerinator posted:

I've noticed there are annoyingly two different share menus on marshmallow/Nexus 6P.

1.) Go look at a picture in your gallery (in my case Photos) and click the share icon and you will see a list in order of most used (it appears).

2.) Open the camera app and click the last picture you took (bottom right). Now click the share button and you will see a different menu.

The second option is the one that has the annoying Pushbullet and Messenger icons now. I really only use pushbullet to push things from my computer to a device and to monitor notifications. If I want to send something to a device I would much rather click the pushbullet icon than have all of these annoying ones visible at the top of the share list. I don't use Messenger at all and I would love to remove that row of icons.

This is the annoying one that we're talking about. Maybe it's only available inside the camera app?

The annoying one is the Android one that shows up in the camera app and other apps I use, looks like Photos uses its own share menu as Uthor pointed out.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I'm having trouble setting a reminder in Google Keep. I have set it for a specific date (December 6), it has then reminded me about it at 9am the next day. This has happened twice now. Is the app just broken? I never used to have any issue with it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the nicker posted:

The annoying one is the Android one that shows up in the camera app and other apps I use, looks like Photos uses its own share menu as Uthor pointed out.

Looks like the same menu to me, just using different Intents. Apps can register things called Intent Filters, which let them handle events that other apps trigger, like wanting to send a photo to something or browse a URL. That's how the menu gets populated, it's all the apps that are registered to handle that particular action. So it looks like Pushbullet is responding to a particular Intent by spamming a bunch of handlers. And since there's no real difference between sharing a pic from Photos and from the Camera gallery, the lack of spamming on one of them is probably a (temporary) oversight :thumbsup:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Nah they're totally different menus. They look different, icons are in a different order, one says "share to" at the top and one doesn't.

e: on stock marshmallow, anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You're right that the layout's different (the font in the main thing, the title is optional) but they're both populated the same way, cos that's how it works on Android. I get a different set of apps for both, so they're using different intents that get different responses

Apps like camera and photos don't have a whitelist of all the apps they want to work with, they send out predetermined messages that say they want something to handle a specific task, and all your apps can register as a handler for that message. Those are the ones that pop up in the list. So even if they look different (photos looks like it rolled its own share tray to fit the MD guidelines) they still really work the same

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm going to want to migrate mi familia to some kind of messaging app with our new baby and photo sharing. Mostly Android and iPhone with one BlackBerry in the mix. What is the recommended messenger that won't screw with the photos too much, if at all? WhatsApp? Telegram? Signal?

I'm ok with leaving the BBM out in the cold if the alternative is a superior solution since they need to upgrade anyway.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FunOne posted:

I'm going to want to migrate mi familia to some kind of messaging app with our new baby and photo sharing. Mostly Android and iPhone with one BlackBerry in the mix. What is the recommended messenger that won't screw with the photos too much, if at all? WhatsApp? Telegram? Signal?

I'm ok with leaving the BBM out in the cold if the alternative is a superior solution since they need to upgrade anyway.

Wouldn't it be easier to just share a link to the photos via SMS or email or whatever, straight from the Google Photos app, rather than make everybody you know start using some chat app?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
That, Hangouts, or Facebook Messenger are basically your prime candidates. No real reason to go hunting for another messaging app.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Facebook Messenger is no good for people with older or low end phones - it's over 100MB and slow as balls

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

dissss posted:

Facebook Messenger is no good for people with older or low end phones - it's over 100MB and slow as balls

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

micropath posted:

Facebook messenger sux

I am firmly in the camp of "Facebook products don't negatively impact my devices in any way" people and we are special fairies I know, but its actually a very good Messenger and I'd use it exclusively if every goddamn body else would too

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I am firmly in the camp of "Facebook products don't negatively impact my devices in any way" people and we are special fairies I know, but its actually a very good Messenger and I'd use it exclusively if every goddamn body else would too

Yeah, I'm in the same camp. Maybe not the "use exclusively" part but I've been using facebook messenger for four years now and I've never really had an issue with it and I can't remember any of my 5 or 6 friends that I'm in a group chat with complain about it either.

But you know facebook is big and evil and MY BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was just bitching to my friend yesterday that the Facebook Messenger app sucks, especially since it was bugging out displaying photos that he was sending me. And it often crashes when selecting it from the app switcher.

I don't know about the Messenger app, but the Facebook Groups app likes to downsize images that I upload to it.

Edit: to be fair, my friend said he never had any problems with the app. I use a Moto X 2014 and he runs a Galaxy SIII.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 5, 2015

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just share a link to the photos via SMS or email or whatever, straight from the Google Photos app, rather than make everybody you know start using some chat app?

I agree with sharing via am album and links, but that isn't the greatest end user experience to look through a chat history with just a list of links.

Also, I have the trump card to move people from SMS to something else, so if it makes sense I can force the issue. Everyone is reasonably tech savvy and local so getting apps installed isn't an issue.

Also, for lots of reasons, gently caress Facebook. WhatsApp maybe, but FB messenger no chance.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

FunOne posted:

I like Telegram a lot and it's got the option to send full-sized or compressed photos, plus a "media history" section that will show all the photos sent in the chat. There's no official BB client but there are unofficial ones since it's an open API, can't speak to their quality though.

WhatsApp is probably the best bet for all three platforms, but it's still a Facebook product so depends on why and how much you hate Facebook I suppose

An alternate solution is Carousel by Dropbox, it does have chat built in but it's not ideal for text communication but if you use DB for photos already it's worth a go

Geektox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 5, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

FunOne posted:

I agree with sharing via am album and links, but that isn't the greatest end user experience to look through a chat history with just a list of links.

Also, I have the trump card to move people from SMS to something else, so if it makes sense I can force the issue. Everyone is reasonably tech savvy and local so getting apps installed isn't an issue.

Also, for lots of reasons, gently caress Facebook. WhatsApp maybe, but FB messenger no chance.

What's the difference between looking through SMS history for links and looking through Chat App X's history for links?

If you use Google Photos they added a sharing system where you can create albums and add people to them. Then they'll get update messages whenever you add some new photos, and you can let them add their own if they took some you want to include. Plus you get the benefit of having all the pics in an actual photo management and sharing system

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

But you know facebook is big and evil and MY BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anecdote fight.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

What's the difference between looking through SMS history for links and looking through Chat App X's history for links?

The idea was that I would upload my photos to Google Photos and share out an album, because it is loving awesome, but that I'd still like to be able to message over a high quality picture so that grandma can scroll through our chat and points out this photo or that, because that is their use case.

Like many things, I can change WHAT they use to do something easier than I can HOW they do it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Uthor posted:

I was just bitching to my friend yesterday that the Facebook Messenger app sucks, especially since it was bugging out displaying photos that he was sending me. And it often crashes when selecting it from the app switcher.
At this point I'm just sick of the loving sheer number of messaging tools I have to keep on my phone. Dad uses Whatsapp but mom only does SMS and this friend is only on Hangouts and this other guy uses Messenger and these people over here are iPhone douches so they use iMessage or whatever and my brother uses Snapchat and ugh gently caress it

It reminds me of the instant messenger wars of the 2000s when you had to have AIM, ICQ, Y!, MSN, Gtalk, IRC and a bunch of other stupid poo poo just to talk to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Syrinxx posted:

At this point I'm just sick of the loving sheer number of messaging tools I have to keep on my phone. Dad uses Whatsapp but mom only does SMS and this friend is only on Hangouts and this other guy uses Messenger and these people over here are iPhone douches so they use iMessage or whatever and my brother uses Snapchat and ugh gently caress it

It reminds me of the instant messenger wars of the 2000s when you had to have AIM, ICQ, Y!, MSN, Gtalk, IRC and a bunch of other stupid poo poo just to talk to people

My solution is to not use any of them and if they want to text to me they can send me a god damned SMS like a normal human being

• Locked thread