Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Surprised Dion is Foreign Affairs and not on the Environment file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Surprised but in a good way to see Patty Hajdu there. She did a lot of good work as the director of the local Shelter House program before running for office and I was curious to see what she'd do as an MP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Biggest snubs? I'm thinking Blair and Leslie.

Good. gently caress Bill Blair.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

flakeloaf posted:

Sliderule you're nice.

It makes the responses hilarious.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Harjit Sajjan has a pretty impressive biography

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
"Minister of Envionrment and Climate Change" :swoon:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

vyelkin posted:

First time MP Harjit Sajjan as defence minister is an interesting pick but he does have army experience so there you go.

Kent Hehr's the associate minister of defence, too. He's got legislative experience, but none at the federal level.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OSI bean dip posted:

Surprised Dion is Foreign Affairs and not on the Environment file.

You and about 30 million other people.

mik posted:

"Minister of Envionrment and Climate Change" :swoon:

They had a public servant of some kind on CBC this morning going on about how nice it was to be able to talk about climate change again.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Yeah, finally someone who's actually.been in active duty

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

drat, you're not kidding! Probably a very good pick for defence minister.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes it's golden.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh hey, Ivison was right about something.

Also, picking a multi-millionaire businessman, member of a zillion corporate boards and former chair of the CD Howe Institute, and white male from Toronto as finance minister is just the kind of progressive change unlikely victory for a disadvantaged minority Ivison wrote about the other day.

The science minister sounds like a refreshing change from the previous choices of 'young Earth creationist' and 'chiropractor'.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Happy that Blair and Vaughan aren't in any prominent positions

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
John MacCallum's life is about to get a LOT harder for the Refugee and Immigration file.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

This is pretty cool (though of course it's his official page so not necessarily objective) and he seems like a good pick as a result.

I expect Dion wanted something more influential than Environment as his pick. He's one of the party's elder statesmen now and it makes sense that he would want to be in the thick of it instead of off in what's still a secondary portfolio.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

vyelkin posted:

Unsurprising to see that men still take most of the important jobs but at least women get Justice, Trade, Health, Environment, and Science.

These five posts seem very important to me, actually among some of the most important positions in the cabinet. What positions do you think are missing?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's the easiest way to figure out what caste each south Asian minister belongs to?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brannock posted:

These five posts seem very important to me, actually among some of the most important positions in the cabinet. What positions do you think are missing?

One of Finance, Foreign Affairs or Defence would've been nice.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Not too enthused about McCallum

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

vyelkin posted:

I expect Dion wanted something more influential than Environment as his pick. He's one of the party's elder statesmen now and it makes sense that he would want to be in the thick of it instead of off in what's still a secondary portfolio.

A lot of the forthcoming/past international agreements on climate change are going to be ultimately negotiated through foreign affairs so I would imagine he's going to have just as much influence on Canadian climate policy as being in the actual Environment Ministry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finance, Defense, immigration, public safety are all probably bigger than those. Except for Justice and Environment, those seem really prominent positions.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Melian Dialogue posted:

Uhh why not? Shouldn't they have the same labour rights afforded to anyone else?

Internet leftists only care about worker's rights when it props up their myopic worldview.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jordan7hm posted:

Finance, Defense, immigration, public safety are all probably bigger than those. Except for Justice and Environment, those seem really prominent positions.

Also, for some strange reason I would guess that Environment will have a bit more importance under this government than the last one.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Health is going to be a big deal if weed is going to get legal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brannock posted:

Science is not actually a first tier position, and environment in the past hasn't been either. We'll see how it is in the Trudeau government, but as others have said I would expect Foreign Minister Dion to play a sizable role in any international agreements. Health is one that is a more traditionally female portfolio (the last two Health Ministers were Rona Ambrose and Leona Aglukkaq, for reference) so it's not surprising that that continues. That leaves Justice and Trade which are legitimately good first-tier nontraditional roles for women to fill.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Finally tuning in. That giant portrait of the Queen presiding over this is jarring to see as an American. Throw off your shackles, friends.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Gonna take a wild shot in the dark and say Trudeau appointing a 30 year old rookie MP with no political experience as minister of democratic institutions means electoral reform is not going to be taken seriously

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

15 men, 15 women

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

linoleum floors posted:

Gonna take a wild shot in the dark and say Trudeau appointing a 30 year old rookie MP with no political experience as minister of democratic institutions means electoral reform is not going to be taken seriously

How dare u

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

Ministries work this way. It is known. Continue this type of posting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

3 ministers from BC, nice

e: all from metro Vancouver region, yesssss

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm pretty impressed by this cabinet so far

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

linoleum floors posted:

Might be better than appointing an older MP who believes in only FPTP and won't get anything else a serious look.:bahgawd:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pry-vee council lol

EDIT: Mind you, given some of the butchered French we've heard so far, that's not really that bad.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

DariusLikewise posted:

Might be better than appointing an older MP who believes in only FPTP and won't get anything else a serious look.:bahgawd:

I agree with this assessment. Youth and change are going to be the driving forces of the democratic reform portfolio, and they're not required to bowl anyone over, either. I would imagine that there would be at least one cabinet change in the first two years, anyway, to slot in a more vigourous manager for the possible referendum.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

PT6A posted:

Pry-vee council lol

EDIT: Mind you, given some of the butchered French we've heard so far, that's not really that bad.

I'm irrationally angry at how people pronounce "heir"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What an innovative idea to appoint a bus driver as infrastructure minister. Truly the working man now has a voice in government. You did it sjws!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Interesting that Joyce Murray didn't get a spot considering she's one of the most high profile Liberal women, came second in the leadership race, and was the party's defence critic. I would've loved to see her in democratic reform since she's on record as a big supporter of PR.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm a little surprised Garneau got Transport. Had him pegged for either defense or one of the science ones.

Maybe we're getting legal weed AND free public space transit :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm irrationally angry at how people pronounce "heir"

Yeah, me too.

Another pry-vee council here!

Cultural Imperial posted:

What an innovative idea to appoint a bus driver as infrastructure minister. Truly the working man now has a voice in government. You did it sjws!

I wish he could be a Realtor just to really piss you off. Just for you, CI!