Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I guess I just assume that if someone is actively looking to drop 2 grand on a poodle mix, with a high likelihood of having various poodle traits, that they don't hate poodles.

That's a fair assumption, but unfortunately, it's rarely true. Doodles have somehow been very successfully marketed as "exactly like the breed you want, but hypoallergenic!" I mean this guy was looking at them and yet he didn't want "poodle traits" (or the poodle traits listed on that website, which he interpreted as the typical traits, anyway).

Not his fault, of course - doodle breeders and owners are really really good at convincing people of this idea. I guess they probably believe it themselves, at least some of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
What about an Irish Water Spaniel? Still a water dog, still low shedding, slightly smaller than a standard pood.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Triangulum posted:

people recommend poodles because its fuckin retarded to get a lovely doodle with god only knows what temperament and no health testing bc you want a curly looking dog when instead you could just go get a fuckin poodle and have a very good chance of getting a dog who doesnt suck

seriously doodles are basically "i want a poodle but stupid and with a bunch of health and temperament issues" or alternatively "i want a golden but trendier"

I should probably clarify that I have never expressed an interest in getting a doodle. People just pushed poodles on me like crazy when I was dog shopping because they loved poodles and couldn't conceive of a person for whom it wasn't the perfect dog.

Also, I don't really think doodles are more prone to health problems than a purebred dog, to be fair. Unless you just mean that the breeders is less responsible as a rule, which may be true.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Are mini schnauzers hypoallergenic?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Guava posted:

I will just say for the record that it sort of bothers me when people are always pushing me/others to get poodles when we aren't particularly interested. I've known many poodles personally and they are great dogs... For someone else. Their personality is not at all what I personally like in a dog, though, and people never seem to be able to comprehend that? Also, I would never ever recommend a standard to someone living in an apartment (not that I'd particularly recommend a newf either, but at least they're lower energy comparatively).

Point blank: if you are interested in a poodle mutt, you may as well just get a poodle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I guess I don't really care if someone gets a doodle or a newfypoo or a shihpoo or whatever. If everyone had a dog that was the right fit for them there would be way fewer dogs being given up and if a saint bernoodle is what fits so be it. What I care about is that they go to a good breeder that does appropriate health testing, produces temperamentally stable dogs and can prove it, makes well thought out breeding plans and takes great care in raising their puppies, and is honest with their puppy buyers.

As much as I personally am not a fan of the various poodle mixes there are breeders that do those things and anyone who buys pups from them has my blessing. Otherwise I think people should stick with rescuing/rehoming adult, taking a gamble with a rescue/rehomed puppy or buying purebred puppies from good breeders.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Guava posted:

I should probably clarify that I have never expressed an interest in getting a doodle. People just pushed poodles on me like crazy when I was dog shopping because they loved poodles and couldn't conceive of a person for whom it wasn't the perfect dog.

Also, I don't really think doodles are more prone to health problems than a purebred dog, to be fair. Unless you just mean that the breeders is less responsible as a rule, which may be true.

You're not wrong. Poodles are really neat dogs, but they're nooot interesting to me at all (nor are doodles though). And if the individual dogs that comprise the breeding program are of good health, and the breeder is responsible, it doesn't really much matter what type of dogs the breeder is breeding, really. I mean, there are exceptions when the breeds being bred are diametrically opposed, temperament-wise or physically, but overall, more varied genetics = good. The dogs being cash cows brings out some unscrupulous breeders and some ignorant puppy purchasers, so generally bad stuff is more prevalent with trendy mixes.

Another option is a Black Russian Terrier, if you like the Newf/Poodle look. My boss has two, and they're pretty chill dogs. They still very much have a hard side to them (ie, I wouldn't be breaking into her house anytime soon, and apparently groomers are hard to keep), but they seem okay for what the Newfadoodle poster may be looking for.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Point blank: if you are interested in a poodle mutt, you may as well just get a poodle.

Sure, but what I'm saying is this guy didn't really want poodle traits at all, he wanted a dog that looked like a newfy but didn't make him sneeze. And again, people tend to stan for poodles no matter what you say you're looking for... My #1 desired trait was friendliness, and still people kept trying to bully me into a poodle :psyduck:

Not saying the people in this thread are that extreme, although I do think that based on what he wants a poodle is the wrong choice

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, do not get a BRT. I know ALL's bosses are chill but they are typically a pretty intense dogs and they're a protection breed. If you want a giant lovable doofus of a dog, a Black Russian Terrier is not the way to go especially considering a poodle is too protective for you.

Guava posted:

Ok thats cool but we're specifically talking about someone who wants a doodle. It's probs safe to assume that if you want a poodle mix, there are things about poodles you like.

Doodles are more prone to health problems because their breeders are unscrupulous with breeding stock and very rarely health test. Despite common belief, mixing breeds doesn't miraculously make a healthier dog unless both parents lines were free of serious health problems. In most cases you end up with a dog who has all the serious health problems of both breeds, especially when you're mixing two breeds with a shitload of health problems like say, poodles and labs or poodles and newfs.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Go to the shelter and look for a Boodle

https://www.google.com/search?q=bas...CFQo-PgodyywAfg

:3

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Guava posted:

Sure, but what I'm saying is this guy didn't really want poodle traits at all, he wanted a dog that looked like a newfy but didn't make him sneeze. And again, people tend to stan for poodles no matter what you say you're looking for... My #1 desired trait was friendliness, and still people kept trying to bully me into a poodle :psyduck:

Not saying the people in this thread are that extreme, although I do think that based on what he wants a poodle is the wrong choice

I disagree with you but okay then.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
tbh what it comes down to is that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic breed, especially if your trigger is saliva and not dander. The breeds commonly recommended for people who are allergic to dogs are recommended because they're non/low shedding breeds which really isn't much help if it's their spit that sets you off

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Are mini schnauzers hypoallergenic?

My friend with dog allergies doesn't seem to have anywhere near the reaction around them as he does with my other friends' dogs.

Edit: Here is the google response. They don't even give a link for it, so :shrug:. He does look pissed that they asked him about it :shittydog:.

Oil! fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 5, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been researching dog breeds, since I want to adopt one sometime after the first of the year. I live in an apartment with a friend who's also grown up with dogs and knows what's required to responsibly own one. We both work 8-5, so I think adopting an older dog would be better than getting a puppy. I love greyhounds, and one of the options I was thinking of was adopting one from an organization like this. What sorts of things should I be researching regarding these organizations? Also, if anyone has any experience adopting a retired racer I'd love to hear what to expect or prepare for if I decide to go this route for adoption.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Greyhounds are great dogs, there's a whole thread on greyhounds here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549972 The rescue you linked looks fine.

Just make sure it's clear who actually owns and is ultimately responsible for the dog to avoid problems.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Greyhounds are great dogs, there's a whole thread on greyhounds here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549972 The rescue you linked looks fine.

Just make sure it's clear who actually owns and is ultimately responsible for the dog to avoid problems.

Thanks, didn't see that thread. My roommate and I have already spoken about ownership as well.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I need some advice on how to deal with some unwanted behaviour. Our dog is a 7 month year old german shepherd. She likes to nip and gently bite when she's playing, or just when she's excited. When I am playing with her if she starts doing this I'll either give her a bone/toy to play with or I'll just stop playing with her. I spend by far the most time with her and she rarely nips/bites at me. With my brothers she constantly does and if they try and leave her alone she just chases after them and grabs onto their sleeves/legs or jumps up on them if they are on the couch. My brothers horse around with her a lot, and they are idiots that have a hard time listening, so I am looking for some sort of strategy that they can stick to. We are all over 18, haha. What they currently do is say "no" over and over again, they say no, she stops for a sec, they keep playing, she starts biting again...and on and on and on.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Do you guys live together? If so it's probably gonna be a lot harder. GSDs are chompy little sharks as puppies but if you keep doing what you're doing, she'll grow out of it eventually. You're doing the correct thing and if you can get your brothers on board she'll quit it otherwise... they can enjoy getting nipped i guess? Good news is even if your bros keep being retards she should still grow out of it.

Could you talk them into playing with her with toys instead of rough housing? Mine really loved chasing rags around and tugging on them and you can still gently wrestle them while their little needle teeth are latched on to the toy :3: A lot of GSDs really like carrying toys around constantly so another option is heavily reinforcing rough housing = toy in mouth time as much as possible. Kongs are really good for this and tbh I did that so much with my GSD as a puppy that he still grabs a kong whenever I want to wrestle with him

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 6, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My 4 month old Vizsla puppy was nipping and biting quite a bit, probably a combination of teething, being a puppy and boredom. We would reinforce good behavior by giving him something good to chew on and praise when he grabbed the right thing to chew. If he ever bit us we would simulate a yip to let him know it was too much. Usually that would cause him to take a step back and stop nipping. A few times he would just keep going, in those instances we would stand up, walk away and ignore him until he displayed good behavior. An 8 month old German sheppard will probably be a little different but it sounds like you have the right idea, the problem is your brothers might be undoing it by continuing to play and give attention when your dog is exhibiting those behaviors.

At one point he informed me of love handles I never knew I had. Come to find out they're very loving sensitive to being bitten by a puppy.

He mysteriously stopped nipping about 2 weeks ago completely out of the blue. I don't think its entirely done but a combo of doggy daycare and trying to reinforce good behavior seems to help. He comes back from doggy daycare completely wiped out. We live 5 minutes away and he's usually snoring on the ride home.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 6, 2015

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

In that case, have you considered just volunteering and doing like, dog walks for your local humane society? The dogs love any second they get out of those kennels.

That's a good idea.

quote:

AKC doesn't acknowledge dry mouthed newfs for the same reason it doesn't acknowledge great danes 28.9 inches and under: they're loving stupid. A newf can have jowels and not drool all over itself and be a huge gross animal. A dane can measure 27" and be a dane in every regard and hey maybe it doesn't die when it's 6. This doesn't even relate to the conversation other than it makes me mad about the AKC. Don't always assume the AKC has the best in mind for any single breed of dog.

Yeah, it's sort of frustrating.

Triangulum posted:

Ok thats cool but we're specifically talking about someone who wants a doodle. It's probs safe to assume that if you want a poodle mix, there are things about poodles you like.

Only the possibly-hypoallergenic part.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Stupid question time. My recently adopted mutt is the first long haired dog I've ever had. Do they shed out summer coats for heavier winter coats? When I bathed him the other night an insane amount of fur was shed in the tub, enough so you'd swear a huge squirrel was dissolved in the tub or something.

ed: also are those 'guillotine' style nail clippers good? He is in need of a trim but the others are awol. Didn't really like their type anyways.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Parts Kit posted:

Stupid question time. My recently adopted mutt is the first long haired dog I've ever had. Do they shed out summer coats for heavier winter coats? When I bathed him the other night an insane amount of fur was shed in the tub, enough so you'd swear a huge squirrel was dissolved in the tub or something.

ed: also are those 'guillotine' style nail clippers good? He is in need of a trim but the others are awol. Didn't really like their type anyways.

Depends on what kind of coat he's got. He probably has a double coat which means he has a course outer coat and a fluffy undercoat under the outer coat, if you pet him backwards and look closely you'll be able to see the two different textures of hair. The undercoat helps them regulate their body temperature by trapping cool air near their skin in the summer and trapping warm air in the winter. They'll blow their undercoat twice a year or so wherein your house will look like you've been murdering small forest creatures for a week or two.

I would recommending investing in one of these, just sit outside or on an easily cleaned patch of floor for 30 minutes or so and just brush all the hairs out every couple days while he's blowing his coat.

As for toenails I use a Dremel but what every dog tolerates is different so I'd just go with what works for you and your dog.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah I think it's his undercoat that's shedding. Swung by one of the pet shop chains and grabbed a guillotine nail trimmer, figured I might as well give it a shot and see if mutt tolerates it.

I also looked to see if they had one of those furminator brushes in and they wanted $70 for the same one you linked on amazon for $22. :lol:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Puppy finally fully grasped the concept of follow last night, hah. He's had trouble keeping his concentration before, especially if he sees a bunny, squirrel or something like that, but last night if he saw something that interested him, he sat down and looked at me for permission to go. I'm so proud (and also relieved that he won't try to rip my arm off anymore).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My dog just came home from doggy day care yesterday with a cough that got worse through the night. My wife is working from home today so she's going to run him to the vet since we live within walking distance.

When we left the day care they were talking to another customer about having to isolate their dog because he was coughing.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Verman posted:

My dog just came home from doggy day care yesterday with a cough that got worse through the night. My wife is working from home today so she's going to run him to the vet since we live within walking distance.

When we left the day care they were talking to another customer about having to isolate their dog because he was coughing.

Yeah, kennel cough can spread like wildfire in places like that.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I am in search of a good lab breeder. I got a lab from a breeder when I was 6, and he lived to be 17 years old and was without a doubt the best dog I've ever had or could hope to have. I currently have another dog, but 10 years since my lab has passed, I am ready to have a lab in my life again.

He was an American style lab from a breeder who bred field dogs. Unfortunately the breeder we got him from has a terrifying review on yelp, and since it's been over 25 years, I'm not confident the same quality dogs are being bred.

Primarily the new lab would be a house dog, but retrieving and water retrieving is a focus point for me. I don't hunt or want to compete in trials, but my previous lab was bred for field work was my ideal dog. My family also got another dog from the breeder who was excellent and long lived as well.

So, PI, help me find a field lab breeder within 6ish hours of Philadelphia that's actually good and not focused on cranking out labs as quick as possible.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I know a decent lab breeder but they're in Oklahoma.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bloody Queef posted:

I am in search of a good lab breeder. I got a lab from a breeder when I was 6, and he lived to be 17 years old and was without a doubt the best dog I've ever had or could hope to have. I currently have another dog, but 10 years since my lab has passed, I am ready to have a lab in my life again.

He was an American style lab from a breeder who bred field dogs. Unfortunately the breeder we got him from has a terrifying review on yelp, and since it's been over 25 years, I'm not confident the same quality dogs are being bred.

Primarily the new lab would be a house dog, but retrieving and water retrieving is a focus point for me. I don't hunt or want to compete in trials, but my previous lab was bred for field work was my ideal dog. My family also got another dog from the breeder who was excellent and long lived as well.

So, PI, help me find a field lab breeder within 6ish hours of Philadelphia that's actually good and not focused on cranking out labs as quick as possible.

Field trials have gotten so competitive that they've started breeding their labs to be really high energy these days. British labs are probably now the ideal chill, family retrieving dogs you're looking for. I would check out http://www.duckhillkennels.com/index.php , he breeds cool hunting labs and he's really big on positive training, one of the first and few in the hunting community. It's a bit further of a drive but if you're gonna be stuck with the rascal for 17 years...

Edit: Not trying to say you're not looking for a field lab, just that field labs have changed a lot in the past 25 years and you can get nice relaxed labs that will happily retrieve stuff but don't need to be walked 5 miles a day.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ikantski posted:

Field trials have gotten so competitive that they've started breeding their labs to be really high energy these days. British labs are probably now the ideal chill, family retrieving dogs you're looking for. I would check out http://www.duckhillkennels.com/index.php , he breeds cool hunting labs and he's really big on positive training, one of the first and few in the hunting community. It's a bit further of a drive but if you're gonna be stuck with the rascal for 17 years...

I pegged the 6 hours because I'd want to go on site to the breeder to properly vet (heh) them then give a deposit towards the next litter if all is well. I could push the distance if need be.

I see on his site that he also breeds canoe labs that weigh between 35-50lbs, this would be a plus for me. But I worry that's a red flag.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 11, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bloody Queef posted:

I pegged the 6 hours because I'd want to go on site to the breeder to properly vet (heh) them then give a deposit towards the next litter if all is well. I could push the distance if need be.

I see on his site that he also breeds canoe labs that weigh between 35-50lbs, this would be a plus for me. But I worry that's a red flag.

A 35 lb lab seems extreme but 50-55 lbs would be a great size. Our guy is about 60 and fits between my legs in a kayak and is no problem in a canoe. I guess it'd be a problem if I had 4 of them at once. Most people's hunting labs where I live are on the small end, 50-65 lbs. I only see the 80+ lbers in the city.

Frig, I forgot how cute lab puppies are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uk27k_xxM

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Paxs mom was a hunting lab. He's 60 pounds now at nine months old

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is cataracts treatable if detected early? (Cocker) he's fine now just ?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Bloody Queef posted:

One of my former coworkers got a field bred lab from this breeder in Winchester VA. http://www.pioneer-retriever-kennel.com/ Their dog is very driven to fetch and do any activity they choose (hiking, swimming, camping, dock diving, antler shed hunting, disc dog, flyball etc), but also has a great off switch and is a good house dog. Doesn't look like their site has been updated, but might be worth giving them a call?

cryingscarf fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 12, 2015

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?
I have a question about dog coat markings...

We have a staffie mix (mixed with banshee, hyena and possibly French Bulldog if her ears and delicate little feet are anything to go by) who started off looking pretty dull and mostly a uniform dark brown when we got her from the rescue in February...

We put her on a better diet, she's healthy, exercised etc, and over the course of a few months her coat came through glossier and so on, which was nice, and then she started showing up more and more markings...first it was a sort of piebald type thing, almost black in a stripe down her back (with little wing extensions down her sides and front shoulders), but in the past few weeks, she's been getting little spots of really dark brown/black fur. I need sunlight to be able to get a sensible picture of her, but...I was wondering if piebald and merle (or other sort of spotty, since I don't know much about merle and stuff like that (edit: have now read up, unlikely to be merle as she's brown eyed and black nosed)) were a thing that could happen a) together and b) in a staffie which is quite likely mixed with a french bulldog...

She isn't itching, hasn't changed any of her habits/routines, isn't sick, no fleas no worms, still loves her antler and still tries to hump the leg of one of our friends...

I'll see if I can get a decent picture of her outside tomorrow if the sun happens.

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 12, 2015

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Is cataracts treatable if detected early? (Cocker) he's fine now just ?

When I looked into it, I was told it's the same treatment for dogs as it is for humans. $2000 per eye plus follow up visits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:shittypop:

I thought for humans It was just a lifetime of eye drops (and assumed same for dogs)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

:shittypop:

I thought for humans It was just a lifetime of eye drops (and assumed same for dogs)

It depends more than just "cataracts" as to what's going on in the eye, honestly. An exact diagnosis is really required.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, a lot of people need to get surgery for them. I thought that was the only way to treat cataracts actually but turns out I know dick-all about that. I hope your dog just needs eyedrops I guess :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

He's perfectly fine now it's just cockers commonly go blind by age 2-3 so I want to nip it in the butt if possible