Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Eimi posted:

There is a big difference to me in becoming a galaxy saving hero vs starting as one. I think the former is infinitely preferable.

Yeah, you're right. It's not like there is a precedent in Star Wars for some scrub suddenly just appearing out of nowhere to destroy a super weapon a short time after discovering the force.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I take it one of the Operative moves involves the absolutely ludicrous blades my sniper pulls out when I /agent?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I take it one of the Operative moves involves the absolutely ludicrous blades my sniper pulls out when I /agent?

https://youtu.be/M2ZjNKiPzds?t=23

Vieled Strike and Crippling Slice are my favorite animations in the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

https://youtu.be/M2ZjNKiPzds?t=23

Vieled Strike and Crippling Slice are my favorite animations in the game.

VS is awesome yeah. That said, I find operative kind of unsatisfying against enemies with lots of HP. It's cool to be Jason Bourne, knifing and backstabbing your way through hordes of scrubs but chipping away at huge bosses with a knife just feels kind of silly. Thematically I like ranged classes for boss fights, it feels more right to blast at them frantically with lasers.

I know virulence spec uses the gun more, but I just don't like that playstyle at all

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

I guess Pierce does get way better when you do his companion quest vs the quest where you first meet him. Because his companion quest should've been a playable mission with this as the music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o :v:

Broonmark does make no sense because how crazy he is when you meet him, but he's also like really loyal to you for some reason, so it's like the guys misguided and kill crazy but I can't hate him.

On Jaesa vs Ashara, like I liked what Ashara said a bit better but on the other hand, my impression of Ashara is that she is an idiot and Jaesa is more intelligent and contemplative. I mean you entirely just punk Ashara into joining you.

I like that Pierce's story dovetails nicely into the Trooper's Corellia story.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ainsley McTree posted:

VS is awesome yeah. That said, I find operative kind of unsatisfying against enemies with lots of HP. It's cool to be Jason Bourne, knifing and backstabbing your way through hordes of scrubs but chipping away at huge bosses with a knife just feels kind of silly. Thematically I like ranged classes for boss fights, it feels more right to blast at them frantically with lasers.

I know virulence spec uses the gun more, but I just don't like that playstyle at all

Virulance is loving awesome, you pleb. It's also a sniper spec so I suspect you meant lethality.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Virulance is loving awesome, you pleb. It's also a sniper spec so I suspect you meant lethality.

Oh right, I forgot which was which.

It just feels like work to play, like there's a checklist of preliminary stuff you have to do before you're ready to start using your strong abilities.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ainsley McTree posted:

My one complaint about the Sniper is the animation for Series of Shots and it's upgrade. You fire about 8 bolts into the guy, then eject a single cartridge from a bolt action mechanism.

Suppressive Fire is just as guilty of the "Ha ha ha fully automatic sniper rifle" thing, but at least it doesn't do the bolt-action thing afterwards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, though nobody cares, I realized I did my math wrong yesterday on my sperg lord gift post. I recalculated today.

To get from 1 to 40 using only Rank 1 Green Love gifts, with the 30% influence boost perk, it takes 6,080 gifts at 200 credits each, for a total of 1,216,006 credits.

Using Rank 2 Green takes 3,319 gifts at 600 credits each for a total of 1,915,824 credits.

To go from 40 to 50 -

Rank 5 blue gifts - 450 gifts at 5 crystals for a total of 2,250 crystals.

Rank 5 artifact gifts - 226 gifts at 10 crystals for a total of 2,260 crystals.

Rank 6 Legendary gifts - 68 gifts at 30 crystals each for a total of 2,040 crystals.

And for Jawa scrap hoarders, 698 green scrap will get your Akk Dog to 50 influence. :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bait and Swatch posted:

Yeah, you're right. It's not like there is a precedent in Star Wars for some scrub suddenly just appearing out of nowhere to destroy a super weapon a short time after discovering the force.

If Star Wars was written like the Knight storyline it would have opened with Uncle Owen saying " you need to go to the Academy Luke because you are the best at everything and you are so cool and good" and he would clown Obi-Wan and Vader in Force stuff from the moment he meets them because the key to having an interesting heroic arc is to have the hero just start out with everyone saying they are the best.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kurieg posted:

My one complaint about the Sniper is the animation for Series of Shots and it's upgrade. You fire about 8 bolts into the guy, then eject a single cartridge from a bolt action mechanism.

Suppressive Fire is just as guilty of the "Ha ha ha fully automatic sniper rifle" thing, but at least it doesn't do the bolt-action thing afterwards.

Maybe they have octo-cartridges, did you ever think of that? :)

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Sniper rifles are an amazing feat of engineering. There's a touch sensitive pad somewhere in the grip that lets you change firing modes between bolt action, fully automatic, poisoned bolts, single shot (semi auto) with variable stopping power, and "big glowy ball that flies slowly"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

And for Jawa scrap hoarders, 698 green scrap will get your Akk Dog to 50 influence. :)

This reminds me.

UI guy, can we please get a way to suppress the confirmation pop-up on some purchases?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gasoline posted:

Sniper rifles are an amazing feat of engineering. There's a touch sensitive pad somewhere in the grip that lets you change firing modes between bolt action, fully automatic, poisoned bolts, single shot (semi auto), and "big glowy ball that flies slowly"

I love that about the Trooper cannons, though. I wonder how many switches and knobs there are that you have to twiddle to get the various different lasers to shoot out. And then you smash people in the face with it if they get too close, so it's got to be incredibly sturdy.

StoneyAssassin
Feb 19, 2003

prefect posted:

I love that about the Trooper cannons, though. I wonder how many switches and knobs there are that you have to twiddle to get the various different lasers to shoot out. And then you smash people in the face with it if they get too close, so it's got to be incredibly sturdy.

I'm pretty sure the Trooper gun is just the one from 5th Element. Still looking for that red button...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh right, I forgot which was which.

It just feels like work to play, like there's a checklist of preliminary stuff you have to do before you're ready to start using your strong abilities.

Honestly I think lethality is easier than concealment. Yeah you have to maintain dots but it's a pretty basic rotation that has no positional requirements. Lethal strike, Corrosive dart, corrosive grenade, toxic blast (if not at 2 tactical advantage), corrosive Assault, corrosive Assault, shiv, corrosive Assault, corrosive Assault, repeat. Basically use shiv and toxic blast on cool down any time you don't have 2 TAs.

Concealments rotation seems to be trickier to me.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Respecced my powertech to Pyrotech and omg. It's amazing.

making GBS threads fire on everyone and everything is incredibly satisfying.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I sorted through the list of haiku submissions this morning and forwarded them on to our panel of judges, so watch this space for results to be announced shortly.

Also, some of you either can't count up to seven or have no idea how syllables work.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the best way to get a fresh 65 geared up relatively quickly?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Crindee posted:

Oh and speaking of tooltips,

Dear UI Guy,

I have one foot in the grave and thus sometimes have to squint to read the tooltip/non-chat text because it can't be resized, even though there's been a 20-pages-and-growing thread about it on the forums since launch.

I Do Not Know If This Is Your Jurisdiction,
Crindee

More UI whining: holy poo poo is it a crazy resource hog. Last night in guild chat someone was complaining that they had finally pegged the UI as the source of their bottlenecking. Out of curiosity I turned on the FPS meter and CTRL+U'd and sure enough, I immediately shot up like 15 fps. That's how much I get from turning off bloom or shadows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

What's the best way to get a fresh 65 geared up relatively quickly?

Story Mode raiding. Even if you lose every single roll on the token loot you'll walk away with 1-5 pieces of 216 assigned drops (each boss has a chance of dropping a piece for just you)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

I sorted through the list of haiku submissions this morning and forwarded them on to our panel of judges, so watch this space for results to be announced shortly.

Also, some of you either can't count up to seven or have no idea how syllables work.

Maybe they (or you) just have a weird accent.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

So I don't know if I'm just dumb or if they changed this, but I used my free instant 60 thing today to grab the legacy gear and then deleted it to make a different one. But it says I have to purchase an instant 60 token now. I thought you could delete them up until they got to 61? Or was the free one always just one time use?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Turbl posted:

So I don't know if I'm just dumb or if they changed this, but I used my free instant 60 thing today to grab the legacy gear and then deleted it to make a different one. But it says I have to purchase an instant 60 token now. I thought you could delete them up until they got to 61? Or was the free one always just one time use?

Perhaps they patched out out today. Alot of people were making free 60s, stealing gear, then making a new one for more great, which is technically an exploit. I'd open a ticket.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Turbl posted:

Straight from the helpdesk:

quote:

If you’ve created a new level 60 character and find that the playstyle of that Advanced Class does not suit you, you may delete that character before they reach level 61 and create another without having to buy a token from the Cartel Market.
You should not lose your token. It doesn't mention grabbing the gear but, then again, it doesn't mention grabbing the gear (i.e. it's not mentioned as an issue with getting the token back).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are you still a subscriber?

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Are you still a subscriber?

Yep. I just opened a ticket so I guess I'll see what they say.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So, a reminder to anyone who's beginning to augment their stuff and needs to make augment kits.

The grade 8 assembly kits can be reverse engineered a stack of 99 at a time and will give you 99 augment kit components. Much easier than reverse engineering 99 implants or earpieces.

Might want to only do 50 at a time though - I reverse engineered 99 of the biochem kits and got 99 each back of the biochem components, I have a feeling you can't get more than 99 if you RE them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Medullah posted:

Story Mode raiding. Even if you lose every single roll on the token loot you'll walk away with 1-5 pieces of 216 assigned drops (each boss has a chance of dropping a piece for just you)

Okay so can I safely tank story mode ops with gear ten levels out of date?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Okay so can I safely tank story mode ops with gear ten levels out of date?

Yes, honestly I think you're better off. Bolster seems to seriously overpower people undergeared.

If you're in TNG just speak up when there's lots of people on and try to get something going.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Medullah posted:

Yes, honestly I think you're better off. Bolster seems to seriously overpower people undergeared.

If you're in TNG just speak up when there's lots of people on and try to get something going.

Well that character is rep side so off to LFG it is!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I decided to burn down my old sniper and make a new one so I could a) redo the Agent story, which I love and b) have a Sniper with more comms than I know what to do with so I can buy 208/216 gear instantly upon hitting Odessen.

I think I might have a problem.

I don't regret leveling another alt, though. The leveling experience is so drastically different that it feels like a different game--and it's ridiculously, blindingly fast. I landed on Balmorra last night at 22, did the heroics, and was at 27 before doing a single story mission.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
On my Operative, I've been hitting just the personal and planet stories and running the 'story' flashpoints as they come up. Finished Nar Shaddaa last night at level 30, will be running Boarding Party/The Foundry tonight because I don't remember actually hitting them before, or if I did, it was once and also ages ago.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Medullah posted:

Honestly I think lethality is easier than concealment. Yeah you have to maintain dots but it's a pretty basic rotation that has no positional requirements. Lethal strike, Corrosive dart, corrosive grenade, toxic blast (if not at 2 tactical advantage), corrosive Assault, corrosive Assault, shiv, corrosive Assault, corrosive Assault, repeat. Basically use shiv and toxic blast on cool down any time you don't have 2 TAs.

Concealments rotation seems to be trickier to me.

Concealment is crazy easy, though. VS - filler - filler - repeat. Then it's just a priority system. stealthed backstab (with zero TA and using cloaking screen) > VS > BS > lacerate w/ TA bonus > CD > lacerate > rifle shot

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Serf posted:

The class balance is great because taking down Sith NPCs with my Smuggler will never not feel awesome.

I try to imagine the seething hatred Vette builds up when I have her spend an hour crafting only for me to reverse engineer it all and hand it back to her to craft, again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

go3 posted:

I try to imagine the seething hatred Vette builds up when I have her spend an hour crafting only for me to reverse engineer it all and hand it back to her to craft, again.

Much the same way Khem Val feels when he's sent to do light side diplomacy missions.

Serf
May 5, 2011

go3 posted:

Oh yeah, everyone but Bowdaar probably hates my Smuggler's guts for constantly sending them out on Slicing, Treasure Hunting and Underworld Trading (just hit 500 on all of them!). Those guys barely have a moment's rest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Earlier there was someone wondering if the cleanse ability was unique to the akk dog companion: it is not. I'm working through heroics and one of my companion's abilities in heal mode is Mending, a combination heal over time and cleanse over time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I want to make an alt named Cathy so I can have an Ack dog companion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Medullah posted:

Also, though nobody cares, I realized I did my math wrong yesterday on my sperg lord gift post. I recalculated today.

To get from 1 to 40 using only Rank 1 Green Love gifts, with the 30% influence boost perk, it takes 6,080 gifts at 200 credits each, for a total of 1,216,006 credits.

Using Rank 2 Green takes 3,319 gifts at 600 credits each for a total of 1,915,824 credits.

To go from 40 to 50 -

Rank 5 blue gifts - 450 gifts at 5 crystals for a total of 2,250 crystals.

Rank 5 artifact gifts - 226 gifts at 10 crystals for a total of 2,260 crystals.

Rank 6 Legendary gifts - 68 gifts at 30 crystals each for a total of 2,040 crystals.

Someone put this in a spreadsheet where you input your current GTN gift prices and find out if it's worth it to use other gifts. :science:
I'm staring too much at spreadsheets at work so I try not to spend any private time on them.

• Locked thread