Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

the spyder posted:

Either eBay or Bourbon is my enemy. I'm not sure which yet. I've been trying new Bourbons and several days later, a new package of rare JDM parts seems to appear for my Rx-7. I can't be mad at my drunk-self, because they're usually killer deals on rare parts. But god drat my bank account hurts, both from the Bourbon but more so the parts.

What did you buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

CharlesM posted:

What's the best way to run Android on a PC? I want to play Fallout Shelter. Alternatively, run it in iOS but I don't know if that's possible on PC?

I used to use bluestacks but it had some problems as far as transferring large (1gb+) files from internal storage to Windows. Then I found out about AmiDUOS, which isn't free but is much more stable. It can be had from here: http://www.amiduos.com/

One thing I like about it is that you can give it more memory than bluestacks would be able to take. That makes it poo poo the bed a little less often than bluestacks would.

I tried Andy, too. I could never get it to work but it was my first choice, before bluestacks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are you saying that he should...

Fight fire with fire? :black101:

Oh, is Armageddon here?
Should I draw my last breath?

alternate.eago posted:

Dad Chat: I still vividly remember losing my Dad just over 2 years ago. I kinda shut down for a long while. It's still really hard, I still haven't cleaned out the inside of the pickup he used as his daily.

Lighter, but still kinda sad news, I priced out new wheels/tires for my 89 LTD Crown Vic. $532.40 from tire rack--and that is for cheap steelies and cheap all seasons (fusion tires). I really don't want to spend that much for wheels/tires on a car that I'm going to sell. But it does need new wheels an tires (rims have rusted through, and the tires were brand new in 97). Any suggestions for cheaper sites? I've been checking CL for weeks and haven't seen anything :sigh:

Just bough fancy-pants 18" Mustang wheels for my CV - tires are going to be $500-600 by themselves.

For you, I'd say wrecking yard. Apparently, you're in the Rust Zone, but here in TX, aluminum wheels from the wrecking yard tend to be cheaper than new steelies from retailers, at least the common 15" factory alloys. Steelies from the wrecking yard are downright dirt cheap, and the CV and its clones are almost literally the most common car in America. Grab tires from the wrecking yard if you can, or used from a local tire shop. Hell, the local tire shop might have used steelies taken off from someone donking their poo poo...
If I hadn't found pretty much exactly the Mustang wheels I was looking for at a price I could live with, I was probably going to upgrade my 16" cop whee;s to the 17" version from my friendly neighborhood wreckers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really, really hope that Hyundai doesn't gently caress up with the Genesis brand. I really, really like test driving the V8 sedan, and I hope it's around when I get my next car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp. My mom finally starts dating someone who's an actual human being rather than a scumbag dumpster fire aaaand he's going in for a triple bypass tomorrow after a goddamn severe heart attack on Sunday. And the restraining order on her ex was lifted last week. It's been a batshit week around here. At least my truck has a driveshaft again.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

CharlesM posted:

What's the best way to run Android on a PC? I want to play Fallout Shelter. Alternatively, run it in iOS but I don't know if that's possible on PC?

Get the APK of the app you want to play, import it into chrome with ARC Welder, boom, as it were.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
At dentist. Mouth numb. Such a strange sensation.

This post brought to you by mouth numbing injections.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i have a day with no looming homework deadlines

somehow ive ended up on code academy learning python

now if only i could figure out why

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

now if only i could figure out why

Because Python is amazing. We've been using it to develop deployment tools that integrate package release and trigger Jenkins builds for artifacts. It also allows you to do a barebones checkout of the Pom.xml files from SVN so you don't have to checkout the entire project, just the poms.

Its really, stupidly, easy to use.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i meant more in the sense of im a mechanical engineering student when am i gonna be coding poo poo

i mean maybe for like matlab stuff? idk we'll see

language does seem p intuitive though, compared to like visual basic (literally my only frame of reference beside bbcode)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You can use Python to automate some things in CAD tools. A guy I know was using it with Autodesk Fusion 360.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Friend just got an '08 Impreza and let me take it for a spin. Base model, N/A 2.5L, slushbox... It's peppy! Fun little car, total blast to drive thru curvy backroads. I could neverrr live with one daily though, my tall rear end was cramped driving it. Us 6'5" guys can't ever own small sporty cars :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've used Python, C++, C, and assembly language in a single project before, with code running in userland and kernelspace. That was a fun project.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

Friend just got an '08 Impreza and let me take it for a spin. Base model, N/A 2.5L, slushbox... It's peppy! Fun little car, total blast to drive thru curvy backroads. I could neverrr live with one daily though, my tall rear end was cramped driving it. Us 6'5" guys can't ever own small sporty cars :(
Subaru hates tall people. Two-door Golfs, on the other hand...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Enourmo posted:

i meant more in the sense of im a mechanical engineering student when am i gonna be coding poo poo

i mean maybe for like matlab stuff? idk we'll see

language does seem p intuitive though, compared to like visual basic (literally my only frame of reference beside bbcode)

Doing tutorials and getting familiar with a language is good even if you don't feel like you can adequately program something grandiose or anything. Two years from now, you're going to run into a problem that you know that you can automate, you'll spend 5 minutes looking at a man page, then 10 minutes writing something, and you'll look like a programming god to an outsider.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Look at all the nerds who donated money to the forums! They have brands on their foreheads new things in their avatars!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Enourmo posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer and I use coding and logic every workday. It's becoming ubiquitous.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So we found that my tractors viscous hub for the engine fan wasn't locking up properly. Side effect was that was the AC system got baked big time and over pressurised the low side causing the front seal on the compressor to blow out. That explains the low system pressures and poo poo performance.

They bolted a new compressor to it and recharged it and now I've gone from AC that's so crap you nearly were slashing in your jocks it was so hot to needing a jumper on a 20 degree day!

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

...to needing a jumper on a 20 degree day!

Yes, most people wear coats when it's 20 degrees out. :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

alternate.eago posted:

Dad Chat: I still vividly remember losing my Dad just over 2 years ago. I kinda shut down for a long while. It's still really hard, I still haven't cleaned out the inside of the pickup he used as his daily.

Lighter, but still kinda sad news, I priced out new wheels/tires for my 89 LTD Crown Vic. $532.40 from tire rack--and that is for cheap steelies and cheap all seasons (fusion tires). I really don't want to spend that much for wheels/tires on a car that I'm going to sell. But it does need new wheels an tires (rims have rusted through, and the tires were brand new in 97). Any suggestions for cheaper sites? I've been checking CL for weeks and haven't seen anything :sigh:

Dad passed 7 years ago. I've still got his wallet sitting in the big glass ashtray on my desk like he left it at the house.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

N is for Nipples posted:

Yes, most people wear coats when it's 20 degrees out. :colbert:

Real units here, not retardo units. For those readers in the third world, that's 68 degrees F.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don't suppose anyone here is well versed in appliance repair? Convection ovens in particular.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

I don't suppose anyone here is well versed in appliance repair? Convection ovens in particular.

If it's even remotely modern, it's probably not repairable :v:

What's the issue? Dead element, fan, or controls?

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Does anyone remember the thread about the goon in Vegas running a shop/garage? He posted about all random stuff they were working on (mostly normal cars) - I cannot find the thread. Anyone got a link?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Hit an Apex posted:

Does anyone remember the thread about the goon in Vegas running a shop/garage? He posted about all random stuff they were working on (mostly normal cars) - I cannot find the thread. Anyone got a link?

Goldmined! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615661

vvv:wink:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hahahaha of course Bucephalus finds it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

literally a fish posted:

Slippery Tilde

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

Slippery Tilde

I donated 10 bucks to the forums and that's what I got for it

thanks lowtax :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

scuz posted:

Subaru hates tall people. Two-door Golfs, on the other hand...

My buddy who is 6'5 dailies a WRX. I'm 6' and have leg room for days in it. If you can't find leg room in an Impreza, you're just oddly shaped. Or fat.

Wife and I went out to an Irish bar tonight for dinner and drinks. Good local band, some Irish eggrolls, and five or six bourbon barrel stouts...good night.

Then I just feel like an alcoholic because I'm still not loving shithouse drunk. And it's also a Wednesday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I found some ghost pepper salsa on the shelf at Wal-Mart. Looked at the ingredients... jalapenos, green chiles, and ghost peppers.

Sounds spicy right?

.... it has a decent bite, but nothing near what I was expecting (or hoping for). :sigh: Still stuck it in the kitchen fridge, I'll know when my stepdad finds it when I hear him swearing tonight. :v: I've had that brand's habanero salsa before and thought it was pretty warm at the time, maybe I've just fried my taste buds. Has a pretty good flavor for store-bought salsa though.

Ferremit posted:

Real units here, not retardo units. For those readers in the third world, that's 68 degrees F.

Why the hell are you running the a/c when it's that nice outside? Or do the windows not open?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

literally a fish posted:

When it runs in convection-only mode, it preheats to 350 in 15ish minutes. A little slow but not unreasonable.

There is a hybrid mode with convection plus the bottom bake coil, as well as a mode where you just run the bottom bake coil. Both of those take over an hour to preheat to 350.

I resistance tested the bake element and it seems fine (25 ohms).

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

When it runs in convection-only mode, it preheats to 350 in 15ish minutes. A little slow but not unreasonable.

There is a hybrid mode with convection plus the bottom bake coil, as well as a mode where you just run the bottom bake coil. Both of those take over an hour to preheat to 350.

Is this a recent change, or has it always taken this long? Likely an element failure, you may be able to get a replacement element - continuity / resistance doesn't mean a lot as the element may be losing contact at certain temperatures as it expands.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iwentdoodie posted:

My buddy who is 6'5 dailies a WRX. I'm 6' and have leg room for days in it. If you can't find leg room in an Impreza, you're just oddly shaped. Or fat.

Wife and I went out to an Irish bar tonight for dinner and drinks. Good local band, some Irish eggrolls, and five or six bourbon barrel stouts...good night.

Then I just feel like an alcoholic because I'm still not loving shithouse drunk. And it's also a Wednesday.

I'm 6'5" and 210lbs, gonna go with oddly shaped since my knees were up next to the steering wheel even with the seat all the way back. poo poo was not even remotely comfortable.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

T1g4h posted:

I'm 6'5" and 210lbs, gonna go with oddly shaped since my knees were up next to the steering wheel even with the seat all the way back. poo poo was not even remotely comfortable.

6'7", 190lbs, can't use the clutch in an Outback without the car being violently shoved to the right thanks to my knee hitting the steering wheel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

okay which one of you broke the DB server? :mad:

blk posted:

The combination mode may rely on the bottom coil to do the majority of the heating, only kicking in the convection coil once it's heated. Ask me how I know. :suicide:

Our oven takes nearly an hour to heat up as well - on combination and on bake. It doesn't heat up at all on convection anymore (and hasn't in several years - probably 7 or 8 years now?) - the last time it did heat up on convection, it popped the breaker and let a bunch of magic smoke out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, my friend is like 190 and all legs, he fits fine with the seat not even close to all the way back.

Kind of like how I fit fine in every Miata, but I can't drive an S2000 at all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

The combination mode may rely on the bottom coil to do the majority of the heating, only kicking in the convection coil once it's heated. Ask me how I know. :suicide:

Our oven takes nearly an hour to heat up as well - on combination and on bake. It doesn't heat up at all on convection anymore (and hasn't in several years - probably 7 or 8 years now?) - the last time it did heat up on convection, it popped the breaker and let a bunch of magic smoke out.

Umm my oven takes 6 minutes to warm up. You guys need to fix yours.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

It was steadfast, predictably

blk
Dec 19, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Is this a recent change, or has it always taken this long? Likely an element failure, you may be able to get a replacement element - continuity / resistance doesn't mean a lot as the element may be losing contact at certain temperatures as it expands.

Not sure, just moved in here. It's 9 years old. I should probably check where it plugs in to verify its getting 240V but that always makes me nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

Not sure, just moved in here. It's 9 years old. I should probably check where it plugs in to verify its getting 240V but that always makes me nervous.

Chance's are it's just fuckt, it was probably a cheap crappy oven when it was new. :v:

• Locked thread