Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is Taking the Black the first cycle pack or a later one? If it's the first, I think it makes sense that Bara/Lanni don't get much since Baratheon's already pretty strong and Lannister is the house everyone benefits from having them bannered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chaotic Flame posted:

Would anyone be up to dealing with a noob on OCTGN for GoT 2.0 sometime this weekend? I've only used OCTGN once for a game of Netrunner years ago, but I really want to be able to get in more games of GoT outside of the weekly meetup I go to. It's no fun making a deck and having to sit on it for a week to test it.

I'd be up for it. There isn't really a local LCG scene and my friends are far too cool to play them with me. PM me :)

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That spoiler doesn't include the already spoilered Lannister and Baratheon cards from the first chapter pack:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwYUxdN9PRztV7frsDx5pj1pKBaFaMLUiKTw0eD1pbI/htmlview

They would appear to be doing ok

I think the Pleasure Barge will be pretty good. Maester tutor seems great. Luwin is interesting, Insight on Rob is obviously sweet as hell, but Voltron Jon is becoming interesting, too. The Martell plot is very interesting but I'm not sure what to do with it yet; it would be cool if you could use it prior to a reliable board reset. Lady seems interesting in terms of potential to fire off other card effects repeatedly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Lady is pretty good. Switching 2STR around is nice and getting to stand Sansa an extra time is super good. Best case you can get an extra power out of her every other turn for 1 gold each turn, that's not a bad trade in my book. We played a Melee last night and Sansa scored 4 points for the eventual winner, almost a 1/3rd of his powerful came just from her. Starting her in a solo game that you can keep slow is a huge deal too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sansa's ability is still once per turn, so I guess that's only good for multiple challenges or dominance. I think this pack is going to make Stark fealty a real threat though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 29, 2015

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

Sandra's ability is still once per turn, so I guess that's only good for multiple challenges or dominance. I think this pack is going to make Stark fealty a real threat though.

Oh right, I always forget round/turn are the same in this game. Well, still standing her isn't a terrible deal.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Taking the Black spoilers http://letronedeferjce.forumactif.com/t14813p195-cycle-westeros-taking-the-black-prendre-le-noir-1er-chapitre-non-dispo#339295

Edit: I'm surprised by the distribution in the pack. Lannister and Baratheon get dick all bupkis and Greyjoy only get an admittedly awesome plot. None of the other cards are particularly exciting to me, although I guess Targ is the faction that does things with attachments?

Uneven faction distribution is normal for FFG packs. It balances out across the cycle.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Baratheon are getting Renly and Robert's Warhammer. Lannister are getting The Hound and Cersei's Wheelhouse. Edit: GJ is getting that previously spoiled Seastone Chair, too, which seems potentially really good (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwYUxdN9PRztV7frsDx5pj1pKBaFaMLUiKTw0eD1pbI/htmlview).

Oh yeah, that GJ plot is going to be great, obviously.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 29, 2015

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Its a crazy good plot. Seastone Chair going to make people a lot more cautious too

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Renly is extremely outclassed by Littlefinger (just like in canon, hurr hurr), though King Robert's Warhammer looks interesting.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I don't like this Renly much at all right now. I feel like there has to be a Small Council agenda or plot coming though.

Edit: Robert's Warhammer being non loyal and working on anyone is intriguing. Seems like it would be hilarious on Tywin or a roided up Tyrell

Edit Dos: Someone raised a good question on cardgamedb, whether Jon's Stealth would work on attack or not. If it does, that seems like it would be pretty ridiculous with Ghost, although you need 3 cards in play to get it going. Actually, one of the guys who worked on the Rules Reference says it won't work with Jon's "participating in challenge" effect. So boo, although that would probably be bonkers if it worked

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 29, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Seastone Chair is weird for me in that it's a great effect, but kinda counter to the fact that Greyjoy works really well with high claim plots, including its loyal plot. On the plus side, with its loyal plot, Greyjoy can now have 4 two claim plots in their deck!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah. I think it pushes GJ into more of a midrange deck than pure aggro, perhaps, where you are going for the best cards in play rather than pure board wipe, but you can still put the pedal on the gas against slower decks if called for.

One other observation, I think the Frozen ShadeTyrell Knight and Lady will be subtly good like Illyrio in giving you a gold dump. Keep some gold laying around for a situational card like Treachery or just have too much econ late game, and have an outlet to spend it on that's more impactful than Domination. Bluff 2 gold for a PttS, get them to overcommit on defense, then hot potato Lady to another challenge

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Had our first good game of AGoT2 tonight, mainly because our 2 previous games were with crappy decks I made ( only 2 cores) with poor plot card choices. I made Lannister/Tyrell and Stark/Greyjoy decks based on the samples on BGG posted a page or so back with a couple of tweaks and what a difference that made. I lost 15-12, in a close but nasty game. My wife's Lannisters were all in with early plays of Cersei, Tyrion and Casterly Rock and despite me starting with Sansa and Catelyn in play they just couldn't hold out against the Lions spy game. Judicious use of Wildfire wiped out the early military lead I had and I lost most of my good uniques from intrigue discards. She also won dominance every round with the Iron Throne and Tryions gold reaction to intrigue challenges. Then did well for me as he went 3 rounds unopposed on mil challenges but she then got Tywin in play which put a stop to that.

Good fun, loads of theme.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Played a bunch of good games tonight at the weekly meetup. Tweaked my Martell/Tyrell deck a bit and it seems to be a bit more consistent, but I lost both games to a Tyrell/Targaryen deck. Second game I would have gotten 15 power with The Viper's ability, but he Highgardened one of my dudes out of the challenge, so I only got to 14 and then he got to 15 the next turn. The only game I won was with my newly constructed Targaryen/Lannister deck against a Greyjoy/Martell deck and that was a pretty decisive win for me. It was my first time using that deck, so we'll see how far it takes me.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

spoiler alert: Targaryen Banner of the Lion is pretty awesome

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
In LOTR, if a player does something to look at the top of the encounter deck, do all players get to see it or only the player who used an action to look at it? (And in the latter situation he wouldn't be able to do more than warn "welp bad poo poo's coming" or whatever you think doesn't go against the spirit of the game)

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Minrad posted:

In LOTR, if a player does something to look at the top of the encounter deck, do all players get to see it or only the player who used an action to look at it? (And in the latter situation he wouldn't be able to do more than warn "welp bad poo poo's coming" or whatever you think doesn't go against the spirit of the game)

That's up to you guys. I typically play it as public information.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Pretty happy with this deck so far. Will be more happy when I can add in those Seastone Chairs

http://thronesdb.com/decklist/view/565/sea-and-sand-1.0

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

LOTR: if a monster attacks you from staging, does it engage that player?

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Baron Porkface posted:

LOTR: if a monster attacks you from staging, does it engage that player?

No

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

Greyjoy definitely seems like a hit or miss faction, however they seem ridiculously hard to dislodge if you get run over by them early.

Targ Fealty doesn't seem to be that good if you don't draw Dany, she seems really necessary for them to establish significant board control, but I've only got a couple games under my belt with them. There's an OCTGN deck on the DB of Lanni/Targ that looks pretty good, I'm currently running Lanni/Martel and don't really want to switch just yet. Lannister seems really good with it's in-house 'No' of Intrigue and being able to afford Hand's Judgement. I gotta say I love Lannister just for the cheap ways to mess with combat math; probably why combining them with Targ is good.

I also built a deck from there that was Watch/Stark which seems pretty good, looking forward to trying that out next week.

Bara seems fairly consistent but I need to actually run them myself to see how they play without getting Stannis or what happens when Melisandre is out and you don't draw into Rhyolnir cards.

I really think Targ Fealty is able to handle not getting danny early. You should be running Varysx2 at least, and if you arent' drawing danny you're probably still getting dragons and jorah and some other low cost dudes to hang around in the game, wipe them with varys and then play danny late game to close?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Finally got my great devourer box :D

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Need opinions on a melee deck:

Haven't tested a single thing yet. Questionable cards are Olenna's Informant and Queen's Assassin. I'd replace the former with Courtesan of the Rose and the latter with, uh, Gold Cloaks? The issue is that I don't know how useful they actually are and they sorta clog up setup. The entire deck is also very unique heavy, which makes for an interesting challenge, since I think I'm pretty boned against an actual aggro deck, especially Greyjoy aggression since all my big dudes will just get stealthed through. But with the defensive plots, I can build up something resembling a complement of dudes and then lay waste etc.

But I noticed that renown characters kinda own bones in melee, so having 4 is some good. Intrigue also makes for some surprisingly easy points to be scored, and getting Master of Whispers also makes me supported by the Master of Ships, so that's some good.

Speaking of Master of Whispers, if I choose the Master of Whispers when someone plays Calm Over Westeros and claims Intrigue, if I attack another player with Intrigue and win, that Calm doesn't reduce the claim right? Like I would still discard the full claim value since I wasn't doing the Intrigue challenge against them?

Also, if I Widow's Wail Randyll, does he stand?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 3, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, if I Widow's Wail Randyll, does he stand?

Yes

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

AEG sells the publication rights of 7th Sea to John Wick Presents: http://www.alderac.com/blog/2015/11/03/a-return-to-7th-sea/

quote:

AEG is excited to announce that we have entered into a deal with John Wick Presents to sell back the publication rights for the 7th Sea game line. AEG will still retain rights to publish a number of products within that line over the next few years and we are negotiating and planning what that will be but have no announcements at this time.

John Wick was part of the original AEG development crew and we created some awesome worlds together during our first 5 years of business but 7th Sea was his personal passion project and while it benefited from being published at AEG, it was his baby. This deal puts the game the world he loves back in his hands and gives AEG an opportunity to adventure once again on the high seas in one of the most beloved gaming worlds of the last 20 years.

John Zinser, CEO of AEG, is excited for JWP and AEG. “The world of 7th Sea is just too amazing to spend any more time sitting on a shelf and while a deal we announced a month or so ago for that other property we developed has gotten a lot of attention this deal has been in negotiation for much longer. It is just good Karma that 7Th Sea ends up back with it’s creator. We are excited that we get to keep the part of the playground we do best and let JWP start to grow the brand again from the ground up.”

“It’s the game I get asked about most,” John Wick (owner of JWP) said. “More than anything I’ve ever done. I’m very proud of the work that was done, but I’m also very excited to see the game rejuvenated with modern game design and technology.”

“I’m very glad AEG is doing card and board games,” John Wick said. “They’ve proven to be one of the best companies in the world when it comes to those kinds of games. I’m excited to see what they come up with.”

I don't know if this actually means anything, though. Also, what's with the AEG fire sale? First L5R and now 7th Sea?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone going to worlds this week? Fetterkey you have a shot at Conquest world champion this year? Any predictions? It seems like Kith are the favorites for Conquest, NEH/Kate for Netrunner, Bara/Something for AGoT 2nd.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

AEG sells the publication rights of 7th Sea to John Wick Presents: http://www.alderac.com/blog/2015/11/03/a-return-to-7th-sea/

I don't know if this actually means anything, though. Also, what's with the AEG fire sale? First L5R and now 7th Sea?

Looks like AEG is trying to take a flying leap out of RPGs and into small board games. Doomtown is their Big Game, as many variants of Love Letter as they can trick distributors into putting on shelves, and Smash Up.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone going to worlds this week? Fetterkey you have a shot at Conquest world champion this year? Any predictions? It seems like Kith are the favorites for Conquest, NEH/Kate for Netrunner, Bara/Something for AGoT 2nd.

I have a shot, but I'm not taking it - I don't think FFG has handled the GenCon cheating scandal well and I'm not willing to invest significant time/money in flying to out of state game tournaments if they're not going to be reliably well-run tournaments.

My sense is that Kith is weaker than people think. She's "the meta", but people have forgotten that she only became the meta to counter Eldorath and that Eldorath is likely going to be much less prevalent now, so you won't be getting as many free rides as in the past. (Kith vs. Eldorath is probably like a 75-25 matchup in Kith's favor with standard decks - this may have shifted somewhat with Autarch Celachia, but she doesn't seem to have made a huge impact.) With most good Eldorath players switching over to Ragnar or Zarathur, the situation looks a lot worse for Kith - so broadly speaking I think she will succeed or fail based on whether or not the meta has adapted.

Were I attending I would be playing.Zarathur/Ork, which is favored against Kith in my testing. Warpstorm and Gleeful Plague Beast wreck Kith's low-HP swarms, Ork Kannon and Rotten Plaguebearers can pick off her efficient cappers (the exception being Sslyth Mercenary, which is a marginal card against Chaos in general thanks to the resource stress from Slaanesh's Temptation and Promise of Glory/Splintered Path Acolyte), and Ammo Depot powers through choke very effectively.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ahh, that's too bad. They haven't come out and said anything official yet regarding the cheating, right? Is what's his face allowed to play in Worlds this year?

Where do you think the TGD warlords fit in?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AGoT talk, Stark Tyrell banner is really good and really fun to play. No wolves from Stark, Randall, Margery, and Olennas Informant from Tyrell, etc. Been playing this deck all week and loving it.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

No public response as to the cheating yet. My current tier listing would be:

Tier 1: Eldorath, Kith, Cato, Ragnar, Zarathur
Tier 1.5: Coteaz, Old One Eye, Shadowsun, Ku'gath
Tier 2: Swarmlord, Old Zogwort, Aun'shi, Baharroth
Tier 3: Nazdreg, Straken
Urien Tier: Urien

Nique
May 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

AGoT talk, Stark Tyrell banner is really good and really fun to play. No wolves from Stark, Randall, Margery, and Olennas Informant from Tyrell, etc. Been playing this deck all week and loving it.

I've played a bunch of a somewhat aggro Stark (fealty) and just don't see how I could afford ambush 4 for Olenna's easily, and it seems it will often pan out like a way more expensive version of Winter is coming.

Also I prefer Knight of flowers to Randall, do you not run him at all? Can you share a decklist? I've considered Tyrell banner instead of fealty, so would be good to see how different yours is to my mockup.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Fetterkey posted:

No public response as to the cheating yet.

So we basically won't know if they banned him or did anything at all until someone sees him playing games this weekend? :psyduck:

What a terrible PR move.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Fetterkey posted:

Fetterkey posted:

I talked a little with Kenny and apparently the trophy is being sent over to him.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nique posted:

I've played a bunch of a somewhat aggro Stark (fealty) and just don't see how I could afford ambush 4 for Olenna's easily, and it seems it will often pan out like a way more expensive version of Winter is coming.

Also I prefer Knight of flowers to Randall, do you not run him at all? Can you share a decklist? I've considered Tyrell banner instead of fealty, so would be good to see how different yours is to my mockup.

I do run Knight and Winter is Coming. I'll post the deck list in a bit!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

I'd probably bump Nazdreg higher than Tier 3, but I also don't play competitively and like playing Orks. Putting Brutal on everything is really harsh, plus general masochistic cards like Ork Kannon, Weirdboy Maniaks, Dakka3, Warpstorm and Flash Gitz helps to enable that and soften the enemy. It helps that most orks have a ton of HP also, especially for their price.

Poor Urien, though. I wonder if he was just a victim of conservative design, adding a drawback for fear of his actual advantage being potentially degenerative. Somehow?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Urien's main downside in my view is that you have to be running a deck that focuses on both choke and hunt for his signature event (the most common card in your deck) to be relevant. Unfortunately, having a preset gameplan in Conquest is pretty dangerous - in general, more adaptive decks tend to do better. Further, it's hard to squish choke cards, hunt cards, Torture synergy cards, and basic command units into a working deck.

It's conceivable that Urien will be better in the future, but right now I think he's overcrowded and there's really little reason to pick "you get to use a different and sometimes better set of events more efficiently, but your normal events are less efficient" over "free 2/1 unit every turn". The extra card in your opening hand makes up for it a bit, but not enough.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bottom Liner posted:

I do run Knight and Winter is Coming. I'll post the deck list in a bit!

I'd be interested in this too. I'm probably getting rid of my Martell/Tyrell deck for now and this seems interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Can someone post an Eldorath deck? I've been meaning to try it, but every time I try I just look at the Eldar cards and think that it's too finesse-y for my tastes, but I figure I'd rather make Eldar/Dark Eldar than have a completely predictable Kith/DE deck. I tried to make one, but I have no idea how some of the units are. Like, Silvered Blade Avengers sounds good on paper to further the lockdown-ness, but they only have 1 attack..., which seems...eh. And how many opportunities do you get to play Nullify? Tapping a Warlord is always super risky, and I find that it's rarely worth it (I'm fairly certain I use Dakka3 for shields more than for making GBS threads damage everywhere).