Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well, as long as the last NATO soldier kills the last WARSAW PACT soldier before he starves/freezes to death. Which would be a technical win, the best win of all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Well, as long as the last NATO soldier kills the last WARSAW PACT soldier before he starves/freezes to death. Which would be a technical win, the best win of all!

At the end of the war, if there's two Americans and one Russian, we win. :colbert:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
On the subject of aircraft, the US is starting work on a B-52 replacement, finally. :(

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Its probably not a b-52 replacement as much as a b-1/ b-2 replacement.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

On the subject of aircraft, the US is starting work on a B-52 replacement, finally. :(

Nope, it's the B-1 replacement. The B-52 still has long decades of service ahead of it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope, it's the B-1 replacement. The B-52 still has long decades of service ahead of it.

We should try our had at the XB-70 again.

Speaking of which, god drat the 60's were an amazing time for aircraft design.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Forget a desperate NATO deciding to go nuclear. We know from stuff leaked during the 90's before the Russians closed down the archives again, that by the mid 80's the Warsaw Pact was planning to start any offensive with tactical nuclear strikes

Nothing I've ever seen describes what you say. 1960s plans later obtained from ex-WP countries (not the fUSSR itself!) showed liberal use of nuclear weapons, though notionally not as a first strike, but there are ex-generals, staff people, nuclear planners, etc. on the record that the Soviets were fast moving away from nuclear warfighting in the 1970s. Also, 'by the mid 80s' Gorby was implementing a defensive posture, and you can trace that exact development in Lautsch's recollection on East German Army planning in the late 80s.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

A Winner is Jew posted:

We should try our had at the XB-70 again.

Speaking of which, god drat the 60's were an amazing time for aircraft design.
F-6 Skyray
F-9 Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
A-3 Skywarrior
A-5 Vigilante
F-101 Voodoo
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-105 Thunderchief
F-106 Delta Dart
I might be forgetting some.

Certainly it was a good time to be someone who designed and produced aircraft. I'm not sure how good USG acquisitions strategy was though, since they ended up with so many different airframes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dilkington posted:

F-6 Skyray
F-9 Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
A-3 Skywarrior
A-5 Vigilante
F-101 Voodoo
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-105 Thunderchief
F-106 Delta Dart

Certainly it was a good time to be someone who designed and produced aircraft. I'm not sure how good USG acquisitions strategy was though, since they ended up with so many different airframes.

These names are terrible. Who came up with these, a bored mid-level functionary with no imagination?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dilkington posted:

F-6 Skyray
F-9 Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
A-3 Skywarrior
A-5 Vigilante
F-101 Voodoo
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-105 Thunderchief
F-106 Delta Dart

Basically it is the opposite of what we have now, with each aircraft having just one role and each time a new role was thought up, welp. It helped that the Soviets were doing the same because cold war. (And if you captured a soviet air craft, well! Looks like we get to make one too)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dilkington posted:

F-6 Skyray
F-9 Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
A-3 Skywarrior
A-5 Vigilante
F-101 Voodoo
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-105 Thunderchief
F-106 Delta Dart

The second generation was awesome but goddamn would every one of those jets kill you with absolutely no warning whatsoever.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Dilkington posted:

F-6 Skyray
F-9 Cougar
F-10 Skyknight
F-11 Tiger
A-3 Skywarrior
A-5 Vigilante
F-101 Voodoo
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-105 Thunderchief
F-106 Delta Dart

Wrong decade, all of those aircraft were designed and put into service in the 1950s. The 1960s was where you saw the A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair II, F-4 Phantom, and F-111 Aardvark
all enter into service, and where a lot of modern fighters (Such as the F-15) started their initial design phases.

Slaan posted:

These names are terrible. Who came up with these, a bored mid-level functionary with no imagination?

The Thud had a great name you charlatan. :colbert:

Fake Edit: Also seriously how can you hate "Skywarrior" or "Vigilante".

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wrong decade, all of those aircraft were designed and put into service in the 1950s. The 1960s was where you saw the A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair II, F-4 Phantom, and F-111 Aardvark
all enter into service, and where a lot of modern fighters (Such as the F-15) started their initial design phases.

The Thud had a great name you charlatan. :colbert:

Fake Edit: Also seriously how can you hate "Skywarrior" or "Vigilante".

Yeah you're right- AWIJ wrote "design." I was thinking of when they served.

If all those aircraft were all on the drawing board at the beginning of the jet age- then the sheer number of different airframes being acquired makes more sense.

It's amazing to me that in '53, the F-86 Sabre was the best thing the Americans had flying, and about seven years later they were already rolling out the F-4 Phantom II.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Dilkington posted:

Yeah you're right- AWIJ wrote "design." I was thinking of when they served.

If all those aircraft were all on the drawing board at the beginning of the jet age- then the sheer number of different airframes being acquired makes more sense.

It's amazing to me that in '53, the F-86 Sabre was the best thing the Americans had flying, and about seven years later they were already rolling out the F-4 Phantom II.

In '55 we had Drakens flying around here in Sweden and they were pretty dang advanced for the era!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The B-29 first flew in 1942 and was in service for 16 years. The B-52 first flew 10 years later, has been in service for 60 years and is projected to be in service for up to 100.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How can anyone hate 'voodoo' as a name.

Bears and B-52's, proving that when they peaked, they peaked hard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The B-29 first flew in 1942 and was in service for 16 years. The B-52 first flew 10 years later, has been in service for 60 years and is projected to be in service for up to 100.

Ah but all the currently flying B-52s are of the H variety, those were all built in the early 60s so they're merely 50 years old!

The currently flying bears were actually built in the 80s and 90s so they're actually newer than the B-1 and some of the F-15E fleet.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MikeCrotch posted:

Technically they were in service until the mid 60's if you count the Tu-4

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

lol a literal flying penis

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah but all the currently flying B-52s are of the H variety, those were all built in the early 60s so they're merely 50 years old!

The currently flying bears were actually built in the 80s and 90s so they're actually newer than the B-1 and some of the F-15E fleet.

Korea operates Phantoms that are newer than our F-15's :smith:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Because of their speed and the distance of their missions they can't necessarily be used for interdiction missions.
Uh, what? Interdiction of time-sensitive, high value targets was one of the original mission sets of the B-2. It was one of the things they were built to do.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Gonna go out on a limb and assume the poster didn't know what interdiction means. See also: CAS in every SA argument ever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think we can all agree that "Hustler" is the best name for a plane.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Don't know if anyone else posted a picture of this ad, but:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

uninterrupted posted:

So it is an image of a clearly grounded plane... done up to look like its in the air? :psyduck:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

AtomikKrab posted:

So it is an image of a clearly grounded plane... done up to look like its in the air? :psyduck:

It makes more sense that they forgot to add retractable landing gear to the plane. It makes sense in F-35 context.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You're both being stupid. There's a runway right in the background, for god's sake. It's blatantly obvious the plane just took off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

-Troika- posted:

You're both being stupid. There's a runway right in the background, for god's sake. It's blatantly obvious the plane just took off.

That runway is perpendicular to the plane, so is this the Side-ways VTOL F-35 model?

If the plane just took off why is the Lift fan in the vertical position and not in the horizontal one.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Is that a sail on the top

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

TheDarkFlame posted:

no it's a solar panel because it takes too much fuel to power the electricals and the afterburners at the same time

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

uninterrupted posted:

this machine kills fascists?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

-Troika- posted:

The canopy is open

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

etalian posted:

this machine kills fascists?

As long as you can talk them into taking a test flight, I guess

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

KomradeX posted:

The canopy is open

Look closer, it's the vtol fan cover

Still hilarious.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why can't the F-35 just hover, why does it even need to land?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

KomradeX posted:

The canopy is open

No. Look again.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

Its for catching solar winds to mars.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

when you all gently caress up this hard at owning something like the f-35 of all things you really need to step back and reevaluate your posting decisions

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

crabcakes66 posted:

No. Look again.

Clearly photoshopped. F35 can't fly. You can tell that it was edited because all the pixels under the plane are distorted. Trust me I work with jpegs professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Do they have to scrape off all the Canadian flag decals now?

• Locked thread