Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iFederico
Apr 19, 2001
http://www.thestate.com/2014/07/04/3546887/pentagon-grounds-all-f35s-over.html

quote:

Already the costliest weapons system in U.S. history with a projected price tag of almost $400 billion for 2,443 aircraft planned for production, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter has been plagued by a series of software and hardware problems, including bulkhead cracks, since manufacturing began in 2006. The cost has risen 70 percent in inflation-adjusted dollars since design started in 2001.

$400 billion for a piece of poo poo airplane that is nearly completely useless and radically unsafe. For reference, that is nearly 1.5x as much as the entire budget of India for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
I was at an aerospace conference recently and one of the plenary talks was on the economic success of the "F35 global supply chain", where they talked at length about all the amazing innovations in the design of the aircraft that were saving people so much money.

It was almost like performance art, the entire thing was done completely deadpan.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I hear the F35 is bad. I hear it's, in fact, not good. It's a bad plane.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Made this a bit ago. Still 500 billion left over to spend if we're using the 1.5 trillion figure.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Made this a bit ago. Still 500 billion left over to spend if we're using the 1.5 trillion figure.

That's a nice graph. Do you mind if I spread it around on some other sites?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQB4W8C0rZI

This has been posted in other F-35 threads but is no less relevant. A-10 Designer ripping the F-35 a new rear end in a top hat.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The F-35 is an overwhelming success at it's primary mission. The primary mission being to take as much of the publics money as possible and put it into the pockets of defense industry executives.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The article didn't mention it, but I found this in the Auspol thread:

"The inspections were triggered after one plane caught fire at a Florida airbase last Tuesday. Witnesses reported the engine tore through the top of the plane, CBC News reports."

:psyduck:

e: Well it makes sense if you think about it, I you were a jet engine would you like to stay in a F-35 that was also on fire?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The tories here in Australia are practically cancelling its world class welfare system to buy 50 of these loving things.

As in no more unemployment benefits for under 30s , raising the pension age to 70(!!) and kicking most people off the sickness pension.

Which will save less money than the cost of buying these garbage loving airplanes and the new submarines.

gently caress conservatives.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

This would be an excellent entry in a "misleading infographics" competition. The total cost estimate is stretched over fifty years, while most of the numbers given in the image are over shorter timescales. Granted it's still an enormous waste of money, but that doesn't make the comparisons any less specious.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's also hard to read since it has a black-on-dark text format.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

duck monster posted:

The tories here in Australia are practically cancelling its world class welfare system to buy 50 of these loving things.

As in no more unemployment benefits for under 30s , raising the pension age to 70(!!) and kicking most people off the sickness pension.

Which will save less money than the cost of buying these garbage loving airplanes and the new submarines.

I don't get it. Why are other countries buying this garbage despite there being actual decent planes out there they can get for much less. I understand we are going to pay for it because the MIC run Megaton, but why are countries trying to turn themselves into US 2.0. It's even more depressing watching America poo poo itself into oblivion because everyone else should know better by virtue of our example :(.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Axetrain posted:

I don't get it. Why are other countries buying this garbage despite there being actual decent planes out there they can get for much less. I understand we are going to pay for it because the MIC run Megaton, but why are countries trying to turn themselves into US 2.0. It's even more depressing watching America poo poo itself into oblivion because everyone else should know better by virtue of our example :(.

Believe it or not America is not the font of conservative thought.

Young Earth Creationism began in Australia.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
On the plus side, more delays mean that the Queen gets to cruise around on a nice new Royal Barge for a few years whilst we wait for you guys to mend your aeroplane:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28146412

A £3billion, 65,000t barge (with a spare just in case this one sinks), nice!

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!

Axetrain posted:

Part of being an American "ally" is that you don't have much say in these things. You're expected to buy American defence products.

As I've said before, the F-22 might be a ridiculous boondogle, but at least it's an impressive aircraft. The F-35, I mean from an engineering perspective V/STOL is always impressive, but it's just such a poor plane in so many respects.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Hopefully grover can come in here and explain that the F-35 is in fact a good pane. Maybe it's normal for aircraft to burst into flames?

iFederico
Apr 19, 2001

computer parts posted:

Young Earth Creationism began in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z-OLG0KyR4

Baracula posted:

Hopefully grover can come in here and explain that the F-35 is in fact a good pane. Maybe it's normal for aircraft to burst into flames?

You have no idea how much restraint it took to avoid grover references in the OP

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1QCbXCezNc

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Baracula posted:

Usually after it has been shot at, not before take off.

The Netherlands have two of the drat things as well for testing, but we can't affort the engines for them.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

What's fun about the F-35 is that when China stole the designs their engineers went "Huh, this would be a great airframe if we took out all the bullshit required for VTOL!" And then they did.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
The F-35 program is an terrorist plot to destroy America's air power by saddling it with piece of poo poo plane.:tinfoil:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

duck monster posted:

In commonwealth solidarity Canada was going to buy some too but there's been enough poo poo that our tories have decided not to buy them, blaming the civil service for pushing the plane on them.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

When I was in high school I was playing Falcon 4.0, so naturally I was excited about the F-16 replacement, the JSF. I was speaking to my mother's cousin about it since he was an engineer working for the Australian military under contract to fix problems with the new Collins class submarine(he didn't go into specifics since it was classified), he is clued in with defense projects. So I asked him how cool he thought the new JSF was. He rolled his eyes and specifically said to me that he would be surprised that with everyone coming in and asking for their own specific design requirements (Air Force, Marines, etc...), he would be shocked if we saw the aircraft in service within 10 years. That was in 1999.

That conversation still sticks with me.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Aurubin posted:

What's fun about the F-35 is that when China stole the designs their engineers went "Huh, this would be a great airframe if we took out all the bullshit required for VTOL!" And then they did.

Wait, what plane is China making that stole the F-35 design? Also, haha, the Marines ruin useful things, I'm not surprised.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
F-35 is Uncompetitive in both of its intended multipurpose roles. Source

That website seems to generally have a lot of info on how the F-35 is actually at a large disadvantage vis a vis the upcoming heavy air superiority stealth fighters Russia and China are developing.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Was this the one chosen over Boeing's proposal because it looked cooler or was that the F-22? Also, which one was the plane they had to totally redesign because they forgot to account for the mass of the pilot?

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Was this the one chosen over Boeing's proposal because it looked cooler or was that the F-22? Also, which one was the plane they had to totally redesign because they forgot to account for the mass of the pilot?

Yes I believe it was the F35 and the competitor was nicknamed "Monica" for fairly obvious reasons.

The competitor to the F22 actually looked a lot cooler than the Raptor.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So what are the issues with the F35 besides being an infinite money pit? I think the GBS thread basically said they tried to make it do to many things and now it's severely under armored and too slow for an air superiority fighter and also armed like poo poo especially compared to the A-10 for a close air support role.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Raenir Salazar posted:

That website seems to generally have a lot of info on how the F-35 is actually at a large disadvantage vis a vis the upcoming heavy air superiority stealth fighters Russia and China are developing.

Are there many plausible scenarios where this will matter? Is there much chance of a major faceoff between advanced airforces not leading to WW3?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Baracula posted:

This plane is bad and poorly insulated.

Also passed inspections the same way as our Lord and Savior's battlebarn (seriously).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Are there many plausible scenarios where this will matter? Is there much chance of a major faceoff between advanced airforces not leading to WW3?

Export licenses to client states? That's certainly setting off the panic sirens regarding Russia's SAM capabilities.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

F-35 is Uncompetitive in both of its intended multipurpose roles. Source

The F-35 isn't an air-superiority plane - that would be the F-22 which actually turned out to be a good plane despite the bitching about it. Coincidentally one of the Russian PAK-FA's also caught fire and burnt down on the runway a few weeks ago.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The Boeing project was somehow a bit more hosed than Lockheed's, if that tells you anything. Of course one of the various things it failed to achieve was shoving VTOL into the design successfully, so maybe in the end it would inadvertently avoided some of the issues anyways.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Warbadger posted:

The F-35 isn't an air-superiority plane - that would be the F-22 which actually turned out to be a good plane despite the bitching about it. Coincidentally one of the Russian PAK-FA's also caught fire and burnt down on the runway a few weeks ago.

The site I linked actually clearly states that the US should be building more F-22's to be competitive with the PAK-FA; isn't the F-35 replacing most of the planes that are otherwise doing the air superiority role today? Isn't it a problem if it can't do that role?

That the PAK-FA caught fire isn't a surprise I think to anyone regarding the development cycle of a heavy fighter, the difference is that the F-35 is costing 1.5 trillion and has been in development for longer and will continue to cost money while the PAK-FA likely won't cost as much or be in development for as long. Because the PAK-FA is being designed to be a stealthy air superiority fighter and nothing else.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

The site I linked actually clearly states that the US should be building more F-22's to be competitive with the PAK-FA; isn't the F-35 replacing most of the planes that are otherwise doing the air superiority role today? Isn't it a problem if it can't do that role?

That the PAK-FA caught fire isn't a surprise I think to anyone regarding the development cycle of a heavy fighter, the difference is that the F-35 is costing 1.5 trillion and has been in development for longer and will continue to cost money while the PAK-FA likely won't cost as much or be in development for as long. Because the PAK-FA is being designed to be a stealthy air superiority fighter and nothing else.

Well, it may end up replacing air superiority aircraft because we cut the funding on the F-22. It's mostly meant to replace things like the F-16s, which have similar bomb truck-with-missiles kinda roles.

I didn't say the PAK-FA catching fire was a surprise, just pointing out that the F-35 isn't unique in this particular problem when it comes to the list of upcoming new planes.

Ethiser posted:

Can we still blame the marines for wanting VTOL capabilities in this piece of crap?

Probably. It was bad enough that they wanted a multirole plane from the ground up (historically those projects don't work out too well!), the addition of VTOL as a requirement was just hilariously poorly thought out.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 4, 2014

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Can we still blame the marines for wanting VTOL capabilities in this piece of crap?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The F-22 was originally supposed to be more expensive, American only air superiority fighter. It had a very rough start (computer glitches by crossing the international date line, canopies locking up, oxygen system malfunctioning) but those issues got sorted out. You can argue about the cost and the actual need for the F-22 but it does what it does well (more than choking pilots).

The F-35 was originally seen as cheaper export multirole fighter. It had several versions:

A. A conventional aircraft that takes off and lands.

B. A Vertical Takeoff and Landing variant, used on small carriers. IIRC the USMC and the British particularly pined for this one.

C. A carrier version, designed to take off from US carriers. This issue has been plagued with problems and still doesn't work correctly, on top of the F-35s problems.

So you have a fighter that is already a compromise in role, that is being broken up into fairly different variants on top of that. This would be be potentially costly even without Lockheed Martin being a money black hole.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Majestic posted:

As I've said before, the F-22 might be a ridiculous boondogle, but at least it's an impressive aircraft. The F-35, I mean from an engineering perspective V/STOL is always impressive, but it's just such a poor plane in so many respects.

Even then, the F-22 was an overpriced piece of poo poo like the F-35.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Overpriced, yes. Piece of poo poo, no.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Well it did kill a couple of pilots (and crash, perhaps even in that order).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Problems in development and early on isn't unheard of. The F-111 had teething problem too. Of course, the F-111 was nowhere near as expensive as the F-22.

• Locked thread