Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Melian Dialogue posted:

I liked JJ back when I had never seen his face and occasionally read his dumb comic about int'l stuff. Anything to do with Canada was usually Conservative garbage.

I can't blame him for doubling down on the whole Sun News thing. Kid's gotta get paid. Its sad he doesn't realize though that becoming a caricature Youtube star isn't going to let him continue on as a political pundit unless he just wants to become the next Ezra Levant

Explains a lot.

He used to kind of straddle the fence on domestic issues and give weight to both sides and all that poo poo, but this year he became basically a mini Poilièvre. He's angling to become Canada's Tucker Carlson and I think it's adorable.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Dear Hunky Leader speaks :swoon:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is JJ also a gay? Now that John Baird has retired, who is going to be the standard bearer of conservative hypocrisy?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wish they'd get the interpreter in frame so I could actually understand what JT is saying -- or caption this.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is JJ also a gay?

He is.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
hahahahahaha

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
JT is sounding very Prime Ministerial here.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
This thread is big. Did anyone point out the Minister of Heritage was a CBC intern less than a decade ago?

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
"Justin waaaait!!"

- girl desperate to get a selfie with JT

Add that to the things we never, ever, would have seen with Harper. :staredog:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Does all this mean that maybe just maybe cabinet isn't going to be your typical old school Liberal circle jerk?

I am becoming cautiously optimistic.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

It's all hosed up how jarring it is that our PM isn't a cold anti-social drone

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
This whole ceremony has been great to watch. It's like Canada is waking up after a long slumber, with the nightmare named Stephen Harper rapidly fading like a dream in the morning sunlight.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Why gender parity in cabinet? Cause it's 2015 v:shobon:v

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Cultural Imperial posted:

What an innovative idea to appoint a bus driver as infrastructure minister. Truly the working man now has a voice in government. You did it sjws!
Although Amarjeet Sohi did work as a bus driver, he's been a city councillor for 8 years. He did a ton of work on expanding transit there so he's probably got more experience in infrastructure than anyone else.

Incidentally I think he's the guy who was imprisoned and tortured during his student activist days in India, so he might qualify as a literal Social Justice Warrior. But whatevs keep beating that dead horse CI.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

I like how :what: he was when he heard that question.

I took some time going over some of the cabinet appointments. Has a Canadian government ever had such a large number of highly qualified, suitable candidates for the ministries as we've had now? I mean, both here and in the US, these positions are often patronage placements first aside from the big-pants positions like Finance or Foreign Affairs. It's pretty stunning to see so few old guards (and the ones in there are highly regarded as statesmen), and with the rest having great backgrounds for the positions they took.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Amgard posted:

I like how :what: he was when he heard that question.

I took some time going over some of the cabinet appointments. Has a Canadian government ever had such a large number of highly qualified, suitable candidates for the ministries as we've had now? I mean, both here and in the US, these positions are often patronage placements first aside from the big-pants positions like Finance or Foreign Affairs. It's pretty stunning to see so few old guards (and the ones in there are highly regarded as statesmen), and with the rest having great backgrounds for the positions they took.

At one point, the CBC coverage addressed this, saying due to JT's limited political career compared to most Prime Ministers in the past, he doesn't have as many favours to repay, giving him a much freer hand in choosing his cabinet than ever before.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, parliament will be back first week of december, first priority is tax cut for middle class, tax raise for 1%.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

Incidentally I think he's the guy who was imprisoned and tortured during his student activist days in India, so he might qualify as a literal Social Justice Warrior. But whatevs keep beating that dead horse CI.

Yup! http://www.edmontonjournal.com/City+councillor+Amarjeet+Sohi+recalls+imprisonment+India+1980s/10814912/story.html

Jailed for 21 months, 18 of them solitary. The story is worth a read, as it is a bit difficult to summarize.

PT6A posted:

At one point, the CBC coverage addressed this, saying due to JT's limited political career compared to most Prime Ministers in the past, he doesn't have as many favours to repay, giving him a much freer hand in choosing his cabinet than ever before.

If only we had given him more time to get ready!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Having had time to reflect after the end of the ceremony and the speeches/questions, I'm convinced Mulcair wouldn't have done half as well today, not in the cabinet appointments or in interacting with the press and crowd.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

Good. I was thinking this just in terms of age, not just JT but other ministers being young and new to politics hopefully means they're not up to their eyeballs in patronage poo poo.

Of course the real test is actually getting things done. That's where favours really come into it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm pretty happy with the appointments, I've gotta say. Ultimately it looks like the 2011 collapse actually proved good for the Liberals. There were a lot less favor appointments this time around than even my hopeful self expected.

E: so many people on Facebook whining about "lack of merit".

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 4, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

One of Finance, Foreign Affairs or Defence would've been nice.

Justice is generally consider one of the "big four" ministries and given FA went to the senior statesmen and Defence went to an Sikh immigrant I'd consider it a win.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

sbaldrick posted:

Justice is generally consider one of the "big four" ministries and given FA went to the senior statesmen and Defence went to an Sikh immigrant I'd consider it a win.

First Nations woman too. A really good choice. Gives me hope for the seriousness of the murdered and missing aboriginal women inquiry.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 4, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

A Sikh immigrant and first Sikh commander in the Canadian army no less. A phenomenal choice, IMO.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I applaud all of you for not making the obvious jokes about how Sikh nasty Trudeau's appointment for Defense is but I can't restrain myself.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Do the people complaining about merit actually have any examples or appointments in particular that they're sour about? I just came back from lunch just now and there were a couple tables talking loudly about how they just don't know about that Trudeau guy that's not how it was done in their day.

Are there any specific complaints aside from gender representation and brown guys?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slightly Toasted posted:

Do the people complaining about merit actually have any examples or appointments in particular that they're sour about? I just came back from lunch just now and there were a couple tables talking loudly about how they just don't know about that Trudeau guy that's not how it was done in their day.

Are there any specific complaints aside from gender representation and brown guys?

I haven't heard any substantive complaints, no.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

One would think that a person paranoid about Muslims would welcome a Sikh to the top.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

One would think that a person paranoid about Muslims would welcome a Sikh to the top.

Oh bless you, you think racists aren't retarded...

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Slightly Toasted posted:

All of what I've seen is just "why the focus on gender? It should go to the most qualified!" bullshit without specifics.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

They're obviously all the same I don't know how you missed that

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Brannock posted:

This whole ceremony has been great to watch. It's like Canada is waking up after a long slumber, with the nightmare named Stephen Harper rapidly fading like a dream in the morning sunlight.

I was at Rideau Hall this morning and got to shake the PM's hand and that's definitely the vibe that was in the air. For the first time in my adult life I'm moderately optimistic about our country's future... it feels strange.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mulcair is speaking to reporters at 3:15. Curious to hear what he has to say.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

I was at Rideau Hall this morning and got to shake the PM's hand and that's definitely the vibe that was in the air.

:stare:

Sounds like a party I'd have enjoyed. Shame about that whole "compromising objectivity whilst being on the clock" thing.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Jordan7hm posted:

Mulcair is speaking to reporters at 3:15. Curious to hear what he has to say.

NDP already bitched about the size of the cabinet

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

try it with a lime posted:

. For the first time in my adult life I'm moderately optimistic about our country's future... it feels strange.

Yeah. I know I am setting myself up for disappointment but I can't seem to shake the feeling that JT is going to do some good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

What? Why?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

NinetySevenA posted:

Yeah. I know I am setting myself up for disappointment but I can't seem to shake the feeling that JT is going to do some good.

`

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ZeeBoi posted:

Yeah I saw that. Too big! (i do think stressing you'll have a smaller cabinet then going with 30 is kind of silly, but I assume they just didn't realise the difficulty of representing different groups with a cabinet of ~25)

I continue to really dislike Mulcair.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah, his intention was to streamline cabinet but he has an absolute wealth of talent around him and he'd be a fool not to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I continue to really dislike Mulcair.

I'm so glad that I don't have to worry about saying "Prime Minister Mulcair" for another four years at least, or most likely ever. He is a distasteful person with bad ideas.