Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

My friend goes there every year. It's as retarded as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The smallest, whitest, saddest butt there has ever been.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LordArgh posted:

not floating in a bog 2/10

progress in finland means going from wood raft to rubber inflatable raft

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Finland is mysterious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Free Market Mambo posted:

Anecdotally, I understand Norrbotten has been having a hell of a time getting immigrants up there. Many are literally refusing because "it's too cold. "

Never mind that they probably will have a better chance at integrating and finding gainful employment in a smaller town (which usually need workers).

Today, and only today, let us look upon Närpes and be impressed by their accomplishments.

Kva säir et?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jag menar att jag ha hört bra saker om hur Närpes haft tagit i invandrare under den senaste decennierna, men man måste alltid skämt om Närpes. Det är konstigt, men det är låg.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
har du redan redan redan

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jag menar att jag ha hört bra saker om hur Närpes haft tagit i invandrare under den senaste decennierna, men man måste alltid skämt om Närpes. Det är konstigt, men det är låg.

Jo jag vet, ville bara skriva på närpesiska. Har mycket släkt där.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

His Divine Shadow posted:

Jo jag vet, ville bara skriva på närpesiska. Har mycket släkt där.

Jag är ledsen för din lots.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nååå Närpes är ganska trevligt att besöka, och likt Korsnäs och Malax har dom lyckats integrera en stor mängd invandrare utan problem, står för runt 10% av befolkningen i många kommuner nuförtiden.

Här är en såndär bussvägrare i Sverige som ändrade åsikt:
http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/dalarna/vagrade-ga-av-bussen-nu-alskar-han-fredriksberg

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
talking in swedish is worse than being tortured by isis

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Finlandsvensk is like clear spring water compared to the pitchy almost-french screeching filling Stockholm's skies.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Norbotten and Västerbotten cool tho

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Zzulu posted:

"beer floating event"

where you float, and also beer

Ugh that water must be 90% piss after an hour or two. Do they just stand up and piss over the edge en masse or do they jump in to pee? Either way, gross.

Finlandsvensk is like clear spring water compared to the pitchy almost-french screeching filling Stockholm's skies.
Hahaha no.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

ZombieJesus posted:

Ugh that water must be 90% piss after an hour or two. Do they just stand up and piss over the edge en masse or do they jump in to pee? Either way, gross.

looks like a river, so just make sure you're upstream of most of the people

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

can i move out of finland now?

http://formin.finland.fi/public/default.aspx?contentid=336964&contentlan=2&culture=en-US
The finnish foreign ministry is gonna publish its own official fin emojis. They are proud that finland is the first one to do this. here's some examples.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 4, 2015

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Spent several days in the hospital for an open fracture, whole arm is in a cast and unusable for 10 weeks and was toeing 0.4% BAC in the ambulance. This is not going to stop me from trying to drink myself to death. :finland:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Best guess for this image: kyrgyzstan and tajikistan map

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

seriousguess: something something gender equality

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Rape/sexual assault rates? I know Scandinavia's better-than-average reporting skews their rates up. And that internationally, low reporting and corruption skews rates down.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Church of Bog/death metal band membership

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

suicide rate, clearly

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

LordArgh posted:

suicide rate, clearly

Japan is too low

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And Korea. Korea's suicide rate gives Japan's a run for its money.

Fun comment from elsewhere on Korea:

quote:

If people think competition is incredible in Japan or China, they don't know S. Korea. The competition for grades, wealth, looks, just about anything and everything is truly awe-inspiring, and like other commenters have said, unlike perhaps the Japanese, Koreans are far more blunt in their evaluation of you.

Gained 3-4 lbs? Everyone from your family members, co-workers, friends to the restaurant lady you always go to will remind you of this.

The country itself is without a doubt one of the greatest economic success stories in modern history transitioning from a country poorer to Somalia to being one of the richest countries within 2 generations with very little in the way of valuable natural resources. The conclusion that Koreans have drawn is that the human capital (longest work hours, highest test scores, and nowadays even popular culture- dominant pop culture in Asia) is the reason for their success, so the generation of "adults/elders" (40+) has created a cultural imperative of sorts to succeed in everything.

They kill themselves because of shame. A disproportionate number of S. Korean suicides come from the very old (60+) who because of the speed at which the economy rose failed to catch up, and the very young (K-12). Just to give you an idea of the intensity of generational transitions, my dad (63) studied by candlelight in a mud-thatched roof with no electricity, ate his first banana at age 24, and is now using his bluetooth driving his Lexus LS 460. Many failed to adapt at the same rate. Korean kids are placed into an unending competition from an early age with many finishing the US K-12 Mathematics curriculum by the end of elementary school. Failure denotes incredible shame, and many resort to suicide. Hell, in my cousins' school, the former #1 killed himself because he dropped to #3, and this was in junior high. Younger parents are starting to realize how absurd this all is, but the #'s don't lie.

The Korean after-school private education academies? That's a 17 billion USD per year industry in a population of 49 million that according to the latest polls will likely increase even more. It's not at all rare for kids even in jr. high to go home at 10 pm, then do more homework, then wake up at 7 a.m. again with most schools having half-days during Saturdays (this might've changed in some schools).

Japan shares many of the same issues, but the primary reason does seem to relate to the downward spiral of their economy. Many seem to think that Japan's "wealth" as the #3 economy in the world actually means something, but in reality, just like elsewhere, it doesn't translate well to the middle and lower classes. Their economy has essentially been in stasis for 20 years now for the vast majority. People still compare Samsung to Sony, but the gap is huge and widening further. I believe Samsung's annual profits are greater than the 8 largest Japanese electronics conglomerates combined or something.

Employment opportunities seem to shrink more and more each year, and pay gets lower and lower adjusted for cost of living and deflation. They perhaps don't share the obsession with "perfection" that Korea does but the shame still remains when they fail to do well in school, work, etc... This has created the phenomena of the hikkikomori (shut-in) and the "herbivore man (草食系)who essentially shuns relationships.

Honestly, this is a phenomena that exists in the US and Korea too, but well... Koreans and Japanese view Americans as "stupidly optimistic," an observation shared by just about every non-American country for 200 years it seems lol. We seem to have the amazing propensity to consider our success merely delayed even in the worst of times.

Kinda long i know, but i lived in both countries and I've always been interested in the topic. Honestly bruh, when you're told by society to reach for the stars, and that everything else apart from the top 1% is garbage from an early age, it kinda makes anything that's NOT ELITE look paltry by comparison. Nothing seems good enough and it's difficult to derive satisfaction from anything. And hell, that's when you're objectively successful. When you "fail" or be average, you're very cognizant of your mediocrity, and for some, that's too much to take.

This has spawned a lot of cultural backlash. More people seem to be developing a hippie mentality re: life than the $$$$ generation of before, but this is purely anecdotal, and I'll believe it when I see it in the form of reliable #'s and statistics.

There's a bit of me that's proud of my country's achievements, but it kinda bothers me that the other Asian countries are starting to idolize Korean actors/actresses, popular culture, and even the beauty obsession of my people. It's not.... healthy.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 4, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Accretionist posted:

And Korea. Korea's suicide rate gives Japan's a run for its money.

Fun comment from elsewhere on Korea:

That's kinda hosed up. IMO they should focus more on the finer things in life, like sauna, viina and salmiakki.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Accretionist posted:

Rape/sexual assault rates? I know Scandinavia's better-than-average reporting skews their rates up. And that internationally, low reporting and corruption skews rates down.

nah, sweden would top that scale so hard it's not even funny

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Also lol is that map really loving metal bands per 100 000 people?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

kikkelivelho posted:

That's kinda hosed up. IMO they should focus more on the finer things in life, like sauna, viina and salmiakki.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zzulu posted:

why is norway so utter poo poo at sports, especially the only sport the rest of us nords are good at, i.e cold sports

They got snow and ice just like us

you're not supposed to excel and draw attention to yourself in norway. you conform and keep your goddamn mouth shut, its not like you're better than anyone else.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Randarkman posted:

you're not supposed to excel and draw attention to yourself in norway. you conform and keep your goddamn mouth shut, its not like you're better than anyone else.

i thought that was england

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dark Off posted:

can i move out of finland now?

http://formin.finland.fi/public/default.aspx?contentid=336964&contentlan=2&culture=en-US
The finnish foreign ministry is gonna publish its own official fin emojis. They are proud that finland is the first one to do this. here's some examples.

Didn't Nokia get wiped out by Microsoft?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

etalian posted:

Didn't Nokia get wiped out by Microsoft?

That's obviously some kind of dumb nostalgia for the great old days as can be seen from the model of the phone.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Water usage?

e: doesn't look like it after googling...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DeepQantas posted:

Water usage?

e: doesn't look like it after googling...

saunas per capita? licorice consumption?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

HerraS posted:

Also lol is that map really loving metal bands per 100 000 people?
drat...

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/is_there_a_link_between_a_countrys_wealth_and_its_number_of_metal_bands

It totally is.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Bhutan, the hidden kingdom of metal

Wednesday night motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

My hat if off to the Finns on their anti immigrant plan.

Instead of showing their country as welcoming utopia they paint it as a bleak depressing place, where even copious amounts of firewater can't prevent suicide.

• Locked thread