Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Hoss Corncave posted:

The House of the Dead games actually do have a strange story to them. In House of the Dead, the story goes that Rogan and G (two government agents from the AMS) are sent to the Curien Mansion after a tip off from a researcher there called Sophie (Rogan's wife). When they get there, it turns out that Curien has gone mad and created a virus that will turn people into zombies and other things. They get through to him fending off multiple enemies and eventually meet Curien. He unveils his masterpiece, the Magician, who then turns on him and proclaims that he will destroy everything, until Rogan and G take him down.

In HotD2, two new AMS agents are sent in to meet with G a few years later and the virus has been released to certain places. G gets injured and James and Gary are sent out to stop a man named Goldman, who was funding the Curien incident. After fighting through more enemies (including a reborn Magician who doesn't rebel against his master), they meet Goldman at his tower building who claims that humans need to be destroyed because they're killing the planet(and is a contender for the greatest piece of voice acting ever). He unveils what he considers the creature to rule over the world and destroy all humans, the Emperor, which is defeated by James and Gary, and then Goldman decides to just fall backwards off the roof after saying something about how it isn't over.

Then we get some Zelda/MGS timeline choices. The next game chronologically is HotD4, which features James and a new female agent called Kate following up on the Goldman incident. It turns out that the viral outbreak has spread around the world, and Goldman is still alive and has a bigger plan involving Pandora's Box. They go around trying to prevent a plot to launch nuclear missiles around the world, and end up finding Pandora's Box, which unleashes Goldman's final creation, The World. James and Kate fight it, but it just keeps getting stronger, so James sacrifices himself to blow it up, killing both of them in the explosion. In the ending, it hints that there were more Pandora's Boxes out there and that it wasn't over.

Finally we have HotD3, which is set 16 years after HotD4, and the world is pretty much hosed. Rogan and another AMS agent go to a facility but are stopped and confronted by a mysterious figure. This prompts G and Lisa (Rogan's daughter) to go looking for them, and they eventually find them and the mysterious figure who is revealed to be Daniel, Curien's son. He was suffering from a seemingly terminal illness so his father before his death at the hands of the Magician had discovered a way to cure it. Daniel reveals that Curien had found the Wheel of Fate, which converted his body into a cyborg and sent him crazy... well, crazier. Usual things happen - Lisa and Daniel destroy the Wheel of Fate, we wait for HotD5.

And then we have HotD: Overkill, with our good friend "G" being a rookie AMS agent and we are killing "mutants" instead of "zombies" :v:

Say what you will about HotD being super cheesy and bad (like Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1 levels of lovely dialogue and delivery) they took that charm and turned it to 11 for Overkill and it was all the better for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Aces High posted:

And then we have HotD: Overkill, with our good friend "G" being a rookie AMS agent and we are killing "mutants" instead of "zombies" :v:

Say what you will about HotD being super cheesy and bad (like Silent Hill 1 and Resident Evil 1 levels of lovely dialogue and delivery) they took that charm and turned it to 11 for Overkill and it was all the better for it

I must confess the deepest sin of my soul is my lingering affection for the late 90's era "unbelievably bad voice acting" stylings. Sonic Adventure (in English) permanently warped my young mind, now I can't even notice when they say something odd because it all sounds old to me. Watching the Game Grumps go through it from a fresh perspective was an illuminating experience.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Aces High posted:

I actually played all the way through Overkill with my mom a few years ago when I was visiting home. We both thought the over-the-top swearing was hilarious. In all honesty, I don't know why there aren't more rail-shooters for the Wii, it's pretty much perfect for them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well both the Resident Evil "Chronicles" games were made specifically for the Wii, as they are rail-shooters, and they were hit-and-miss with some parts of both games hitting and then other parts from the games missing by a lot.

There was also that Dead Space rail-shooter as well, but I only know about that one because my cousin gave it to me as a Christmas present and we spent that New Years day beating the damned thing. He also was the one who had Overkill and we both had a shitload of fun playing through it and listening to all the "motherfucker"s in that game :)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
I thought it was pretty funny that people started talking about the Simpsons arcade last week, because that was next in the queue! Here's the beginning of our long play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkA-UOLzK6I

If you never saw the end, here's your chance. If you like listening to nerds grouse about how bad The Simpsons got, this is the LP series for you.

Honestly, though, this is a pretty solid beat em up and was one of my all-time favorites as a kid. My heart's wish for a console port wasn't realized until, what, 2008 or so?? Too little too late morons. Nothing will ever make up for Bart vs. the Space Mutants. That aside though this is a rad game though let's enjoy.

Edit: Here's the "Top o the mornin' motherfucker" image we referred to:

Lemma fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 4, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I can't hate Bart Vs The Space Mutants. It's a good idea of a game, and pretty ambitious, the problems are that the controls are very rough, and the entire game seems designed to be as obfuscating as possible, with rules constantly changing, sometimes within the same level as to what does an doesn't hurt you, how to solve puzzles, etc etc.

Also, I think everyone's seen that Pizza Olsen Twins video by now. One day while my son was here this past summer (that's when I get him) we were at the grocery store, and I started listing the stuff in our cart for whatever reason, and he suddenly pipes up "...Put it in the pizza!!" It was so totally random and unexpected to come out of an 8 year old that I ended up laughing super hard.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Bart vs the Space Mutants was dodgy, but Bart vs the World was TERRIBLE, and Virtual Bart was just messed up.

Also, that 554 episodes at once video was hard to watch, although the only thing I focused on was this: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xda7ry_sidewinder_fun

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's funny how it wasn't til the mid 00's that decent Simpsons games existed at all. They started the trend with Road Rage, which is just a decent Crazy Taxi knock off with lots of unlockable characters and jokes, then they did Hit and Run, which is a decent open world game which combines exploration with driving missions. I'd like if it was less driving centric, but it does have tons of references to the good years of the show. And again, it wasn't til 09 that a home port of the Arcade Game came out. Weird.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

My guess is, like the first two or three seasons of the show, that the non-arcade games were Bart-centric to appeal to preteen boys or whoever their target demographic was.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Yeah, I'd say there's two factors: 1.) of early games being overwhelming marketed toward kids; kids are stupid so who cares if the game is good, 2.) By the 128 bit era, there was better middleware and a much bigger production/marketing/etc infrastructure in place so planning and making a decent licensed game is a lot easier.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Ofecks posted:

My guess is, like the first two or three seasons of the show, that the non-arcade games were Bart-centric to appeal to preteen boys or whoever their target demographic was.

It's easy to forget that yeah, this was how the first few seasons of the show were marketed if you weren't there. Bart was America's badboy and he was everywhere. I had t-shirts with him on it, and this super lovely telephone in the shape of him that was difficult to hang up correctly. I'd seen people who would get his image shaved into the side or back of their head (cause that was a thing back then) etc etc. Then for a while the writers got tired of that schtick and made it all about the whole family for a few seasons. Then all of a sudden for a long window it was exclusively the Homer Show, perhaps because so many of those pre-teen boys had grown up enough to start being crappy dads themselves. I know I eventually did. I haven't really watched the show in many years, except by random chance, mostly because I don't watch a lot of broadcast tv, sticking to streaming and movies, so I don't know what the dynamic focus is presently.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I can't seem to find the source of this anymore, but I remember hearing that a lot of the design for the Simpsons arcade game was similar in approach of its design to the english version of the Samurai Pizza Cats cartoon: They couldn't understand the source well so they made a lot of poo poo up.

The gist of it is, Konami (and most japanese people) didn't know much about the Simpsons. They were sent a lot of character art and some amount of bio's, show assets, etc, but the show was untranslated and there just wasn't a lot of information available to them to get a better gist of the universe. The end result, lots of stuff is made up, a bunch of really strange inaccuracies and things that are out of character. They made a lot of assumptions and if you look closely, it's pretty hit-or-miss.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

I can't seem to find the source of this anymore, but I remember hearing that a lot of the design for the Simpsons arcade game was similar in approach of its design to the english version of the Samurai Pizza Cats cartoon: They couldn't understand the source well so they made a lot of poo poo up.

The gist of it is, Konami (and most japanese people) didn't know much about the Simpsons. They were sent a lot of character art and some amount of bio's, show assets, etc, but the show was untranslated and there just wasn't a lot of information available to them to get a better gist of the universe. The end result, lots of stuff is made up, a bunch of really strange inaccuracies and things that are out of character. They made a lot of assumptions and if you look closely, it's pretty hit-or-miss.

Well, considering that the plot of the game is Smithers is stealing a diamond for Mr. Burns, the richest man in town, for no real reason other than monetary gain makes little sense. Still an interesting game though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Then again it's Mr. Burns, so why wouldn't he kidnap a baby and generally make everyone's life a living hell for something he didn't really need?

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
We keep wondering aloud why they don't just take the diamond out of her mouth and leave the baby part. I mean a baby is basically like, negative 20,000 dollars, the opposite of anything Mr. Burns would want. But yeah, another thing in season 1 era is Mr. Burns was kind of the "generally evil company boss" with little to no characterization beyond "is greedy, mean to workers." It's a little odd in retrospect seeing as how they have literally developed ancillary characters like Groundskeeper fuckin' Willie into stars of entire episodes.

Anyway, Simpsons will resume, but in the meantime here's something neat: The original Street Fighter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xed0Yc9JkqQ

I personally have never seen this one before, so it was a novelty seeing the humble (and I do mean HUMBLE) origins of everything I'm used to seeing in fluid, HD-resolutioned glory. I don't even mean SFIV; the hand-drawn remake of Street Fighter II on Xbox Live et al is pretty much the benchmark for me these days; to even see the SNES versions of the good games is surprising for me. This primordial experiment is worthwhile as a historical artifact, but not in any other aspect. Let's gawk at it a while.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The weird sequel to Street Fighter you were trying to think of was Street Fighter 2010.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

The weird sequel to Street Fighter you were trying to think of was Street Fighter 2010.

I looked into it, and I think he was thinking about Final Fight, which was supposed to be the real sequel to Street fighter. They ended up deciding that the game should be it's own game and made the series separate, until they made SF:Alpha that is, where the brought the majority of the Final Fight cast into the SF universe.

Street Fighter 2010 is another off shoot from the series though, Capcom was making a bunch of weird poo poo back then.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

What's weird is that then Mike Haggar was in the Saturday Night Slam Masters games, pro wrestling themed fighting games part of the larger capcom universe (which also includes Darkstalkers, and in turn the Ghosts and Goblins franchise, as well as some other games I believe.)

I'm such a sucker for collective universes in fictional settings ala the Wold Newton Universe, or the Tommy Westfall theory.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AMovieReference posted:

I looked into it, and I think he was thinking about Final Fight, which was supposed to be the real sequel to Street fighter. They ended up deciding that the game should be it's own game and made the series separate, until they made SF:Alpha that is, where the brought the majority of the Final Fight cast into the SF universe.

Street Fighter 2010 is another off shoot from the series though, Capcom was making a bunch of weird poo poo back then.

Street Fighter 2010 was not actually a Street Fighter game. It was a generic sidescroller in Japan (with unrelated name), that was ported right when Street Fighter 2 was red hot in America. Consequently, Capcom USA changed the name, put in a paragraph in the instruction book about how Ken was the protagonist, and cashed in.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

I dont know posted:

Street Fighter 2010 was not actually a Street Fighter game. It was a generic sidescroller in Japan (with unrelated name), that was ported right when Street Fighter 2 was red hot in America. Consequently, Capcom USA changed the name, put in a paragraph in the instruction book about how Ken was the protagonist, and cashed in.

drat dude they Mean Bean Machine'd us. I mean not exactly because Puyo Puyo is a wonderful game and I will have more love for it than I will ever muster for a fellow living being, but yeah. Seems like they do less swapping fuckery with games in the modern era.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Lemma posted:

drat dude they Mean Bean Machine'd us. I mean not exactly because Puyo Puyo is a wonderful game and I will have more love for it than I will ever muster for a fellow living being, but yeah. Seems like they do less swapping fuckery with games in the modern era.

It could be worse, it could be Wonder Boy, where nearly every single game in the series (which has bizarre numbering schemes) got ports official or no.
-The first game got licensed by Hudson Soft and they changed the hero to a real life video game celebrity who was later renamed to a generic hero in the US and that's how the Adventure Island series started.
-The second game (which began subtitling things into the "Monster Land" series, which got its own numbers as well as Wonder Boy) became a Bikkuriman tie-in on PC-Engine, and Jaleco kinda bootlegged the game to make Saiyuuki World/Journey To The West.. THEN they decided to make a sequel to that game. THEN Jaleco did another swap when they brought the sequel to the US and it became Whomp 'Em! which is a pretty decent Mega Man style game.
-There's TWO completely different part 3s in the series depending on your system, where the arcade and the mega drive got one, and the master system and game gear got the other. They both seem like good games. The Latter however was also swap-released as "The Dragon's Curse"
-The FIFTH game " Wonder Boy V: Monster World III" got ported to the turbo grafix 16 as The Dynastic Hero, which is yet ANOTHER swap.
-The Sixth game, Monster World IV hasn't had any swaps that I'm aware of.

On top of all that, the middle games were also swap-ported in Brazil to tie in with the Popular Monica comic books.

I'm pretty sure the Adventure Island series wasn't swapped any further officially, but it's a favorite game to pop up on those shady romhack "X Games in 1" carts, sometimes with the characters replaced with like, Mario or whoever.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ahhh, Street Fighter. When you look at it, you have to wonder how it became the most well known fighter in the world. Trivia time:

Street Fighter was originally called "Fighting Street". They changed it for some reason though. There were two versions of the game with different controls. One with the standard six button layout, and one with two pressure sensitive buttons that would give you the different levels of strength in punch and kick depending on how hard you hit them.

Sagat only had Tiger Shot and Tiger Knee in the game. Because they were fast and annihilated you, my friend and I coined the term "Tiger, Knee, put more money in me".

Retsu was a monk working at the temple where Gouken taught Ryu and Ken karate (I think).

Final Fight was originally supposed to be a sequel to SF, but was switched to a side scroller. Also, Mike Haggar was meant to be in SF2 instead of Zangief, but the developers felt they had too many USA guys in there, so he became Russian. Zangief was also originally called "Vodka Gabolski".

Combos were a glitch discovered in SF2. They weren't intentional but people discovered them.

In addition to the Boxer/Claw/Dictator, there are a few other characters that have name swaps. They are Charlie/Nash, and Akuma/Gouki. For some reason in SFV, they kept it as Nash for the west.

No comment on SF2010 though. As said earlier, I know it was a localisation bodge job, but until it does something as annoying as the Megaman X5 one, I won''t hate on it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The reason Capcom USA changed the name of Gouki to Akuma is they wanted to emphasize the character being this evil force (Akuma means devil in Japanese). Ironically enough, Akuma is really more of immoral than outright evil. Unlike Dictator, for example.

For Charlie/Nash, they resolved that one simply enough. The character's full name is Charlie Nash so referring to either is correct.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
We'll catch back up on Street Fighter next week, but for now we've got more Simpsons Arcade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm8oLnjIgG0

I think after reading all the Street Fighter stuff being talked about in here, I've been reignited in my excitement for SFV. I haven't really played SFIV in a long while, ever since going to Japan and getting my rear end kicked super hard by dudes getting off of work in their business suits. If they bring in Juri like rumored, I think I'll be sold.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

AMovieReference posted:

We'll catch back up on Street Fighter next week, but for now we've got more Simpsons Arcade.

I think after reading all the Street Fighter stuff being talked about in here, I've been reignited in my excitement for SFV. I haven't really played SFIV in a long while, ever since going to Japan and getting my rear end kicked super hard by dudes getting off of work in their business suits. If they bring in Juri like rumored, I think I'll be sold.

Months ago they mined some data from files before the Dhalsim reveal. In the character section, the following files were found:
ALX/mesh/01/ALX_01.fbx
BSN/mesh/01/BSN_01.fbx
DSM/mesh/01/DSM_01.fbx
FAN/mesh/01/FAN_01.fbx
GUL/mesh/01/GUL_01.fbx
IBK/mesh/01/IBK_01.fbx
JRI/mesh/01/JRI_01.fbx
NDK/mesh/01/NDK_01.fbx
URN/mesh/01/URN_01.fbx

Knowing that Dhalsim is in, and Fan/Zen is the rumoured last newcomer. We also assume NDK is Mika's tag partner, so those three can be ignored. Then, in the most recent beta, some audio files were mined as well, with announcer voice clips saying Alex, Balrog, Guile, Ibuki, Juri, and Urien. So yeah, you can get excited for it more. I just wish we had gotten Q instead of Balrog.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
SammZO part 2 wherein we brave an army of vengeful dead and face Moe's mongoloid cousin:

It's funny to reflect on a time when there were so few recurring characters that major bits of the game had made up ones.

Note: Nick here refers to the Simpsons looking 'way different' in Season One; I think he means to refer to the Tracy Ullman Shorts. If you're not aware:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_shorts

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

you guys talking poo poo about new Futurama mean you are dismissing gems like Lethal Inspection, The Late Phillip J. Fry, Game of Tones, and Meanwhile <:mad:>

Yes new Futurama had a couple stinkers too but to write the whole thing off is just short-sighted

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

you guys talking poo poo about new Futurama mean you are dismissing gems like Lethal Inspection, The Late Phillip J. Fry, Game of Tones, and Meanwhile <:mad:>

Yes new Futurama had a couple stinkers too but to write the whole thing off is just short-sighted

Nixon dubbing over G.I. Zapp and trying to make it not violent makes the new series worth it by itself, and I wasn't even particularly fond of the rest of that episode.

The feature length ones sucked though (although Bender's Game and Into the Wild Green Yonder weren't too bad).

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

It could be worse, it could be Wonder Boy, where nearly every single game in the series (which has bizarre numbering schemes) got ports official or no.
-The first game got licensed by Hudson Soft and they changed the hero to a real life video game celebrity who was later renamed to a generic hero in the US and that's how the Adventure Island series started.
-The second game (which began subtitling things into the "Monster Land" series, which got its own numbers as well as Wonder Boy) became a Bikkuriman tie-in on PC-Engine, and Jaleco kinda bootlegged the game to make Saiyuuki World/Journey To The West.. THEN they decided to make a sequel to that game. THEN Jaleco did another swap when they brought the sequel to the US and it became Whomp 'Em! which is a pretty decent Mega Man style game.
-There's TWO completely different part 3s in the series depending on your system, where the arcade and the mega drive got one, and the master system and game gear got the other. They both seem like good games. The Latter however was also swap-released as "The Dragon's Curse"
-The FIFTH game " Wonder Boy V: Monster World III" got ported to the turbo grafix 16 as The Dynastic Hero, which is yet ANOTHER swap.
-The Sixth game, Monster World IV hasn't had any swaps that I'm aware of.

On top of all that, the middle games were also swap-ported in Brazil to tie in with the Popular Monica comic books.

I'm pretty sure the Adventure Island series wasn't swapped any further officially, but it's a favorite game to pop up on those shady romhack "X Games in 1" carts, sometimes with the characters replaced with like, Mario or whoever.

I had a wonder boy game on Genesis when I was a kid that I played to death, and I'm still not sure which one it is!

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Aces High posted:

I actually really liked The Late Phillip J. Fry; a there were a few winners in the later run. I think the bad taste in my mouth mostly stems from the ever-increasingly terrible anthology episodes, and the episode where Leela has a boil on her rear end... named Susan... who sings with a Scottish accent. Writing it out like that makes it all the harder to believe such premise got greenly by a room full of professional writers. Aside from how mind-implodingly dumb the premise is, Susan Boyle is an even more dated reference than Kid-Napster from way back in season one or so. Just wow man wow.

(Though I did really like the episode where Fry is a cop and they do the whole Schrodinger Cat joke. That was a late season, right?)

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

I actually really liked The Late Phillip J. Fry; a there were a few winners in the later run. I think the bad taste in my mouth mostly stems from the ever-increasingly terrible anthology episodes, and the episode where Leela has a boil on her rear end... named Susan... who sings with a Scottish accent. Writing it out like that makes it all the harder to believe such premise got greenly by a room full of professional writers. Aside from how mind-implodingly dumb the premise is, Susan Boyle is an even more dated reference than Kid-Napster from way back in season one or so. Just wow man wow.

(Though I did really like the episode where Fry is a cop and they do the whole Schrodinger Cat joke. That was a late season, right?)

Now, I really liked most of the new episodes with a few that I didn't here and there, but writing off all 3 seasons that came after they originally cancelled because of a few episodes is like hating the Ocean's 11 remake because the last 15 minutes weren't that good.

I use that example because I love that movie, but I hate everything that happens after they split up when the heist is complete.

Also, the Matrix joke was pretty great in the new seasons as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I really liked the episode in the new season where they go to the planet inhabited by robots that moves at such a pace that epochs happen when you aren't looking. Fry shouting "This is a really cool way to die!!" while being taken away by a robot pterodactyl is still one of my favorite jokes in the whole series.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Since Lemma has not gotten around to posting the newest video, you can check it out here by clicking on the image:

Fancy right? Hopefully this poo poo works out.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 9, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Everything you need to know about the first boss fight in this video:

:regd13::byobear::margeball:

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
And we commemorate Vets Day with the not-so-thrilling conclusion to Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmjIJjHL_U

Featuring the first on-screen apology for a joke attempt that didn't work out. Never let them say we don't take our audience into consideration.

Never fear next week we start two totally new LPs0; one weird, one dumb. (But one thematically appropriate for the season.)

Lemma fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 11, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Lemma posted:

And we commemorate Vets Day with the not-so-thrilling conclusion to Street Fighter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmjIJjHL_U

I don't know if it was a joke or if you went to, like, some cheap plastic imitation of Mount Rushmore, but (at least according to Wikipedia) the faces are 60 feet tall. I can't say for certain (with my whole two minutes of Googling) whether they were intended as a 'gently caress you' to native Americans, though. Certainly they weren't happy about having the land taken away from them.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I don't know if it was a joke or if you went to, like, some cheap plastic imitation of Mount Rushmore, but (at least according to Wikipedia) the faces are 60 feet tall. I can't say for certain (with my whole two minutes of Googling) whether they were intended as a 'gently caress you' to native Americans, though. Certainly they weren't happy about having the land taken away from them.

Wow. Guess I just misremembered; still, they are markedly less tall than the gargantuan sizes seen in movies and such. Guess the smallness got exaggerated in my mind after the initial shock.

But the statue of liberty is definitely tiny compared to, say, the one in ghostbusters or any movie poster featuring its disembodied head.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fun fact, Joe and Mike are the only street fighter characters to not appear in anything else not even like, stupid card fighting games for the franchise. However, it's also a major fan theory that Capcom won't say either way about that they're the pair fighting in the intro to Street Fighter 2 with the crowd around them before the camera pans up the skyscraper to the jumbotron screen where the game logo pops up. The white blonde guy does look a bit like Joe, though we don't get a good look at the guy who could be Mike that he pops hard in the face. Capcom('s lawyers) are very adamant that Mike is NOT Balrog.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Mt. Rushmore does seem a lot smaller than you'd expect, because you have to get super close to feel the perspective, but you can still see it from a fair distance. I think there's also a perception that it's as large as a whole mountain (something like Denali, or Fuji, or Mt. Rainier) when really it's more in the scale of a largish hotel on the side of a mountain.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Choco1980 posted:

Fun fact, Joe and Mike are the only street fighter characters to not appear in anything else not even like, stupid card fighting games for the franchise. However, it's also a major fan theory that Capcom won't say either way about that they're the pair fighting in the intro to Street Fighter 2 with the crowd around them before the camera pans up the skyscraper to the jumbotron screen where the game logo pops up. The white blonde guy does look a bit like Joe, though we don't get a good look at the guy who could be Mike that he pops hard in the face. Capcom('s lawyers) are very adamant that Mike is NOT Balrog.

I thought the theory was that the guy fighting in the beginning of Street Fighter II was supposed to be Cody or something?

• Locked thread