Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Huh, well that explains why my PC bluescreened when I unplugged the cheapest USB C-to-A cable that I could find at Fry's. Time to buy more of those i-OrangeE cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes, but the point is that you shouldn't be trying to pull 3 amps from the USB-A end. Regardless of whether or not it can.

What does the connector type matter for that? The charger is negotiating the appropriate current with the device.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's pretty cool to put my phone on the various cheap Qi pads around the house and in my office to charge my phone.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Are these cable problems only with USB-C to USB-A? Should I be fine with any USB-C to USB-C cables?
According to that Google engineer:

quote:

C to C cables are harder (but not impossible) to get wrong in the same way because you're not supposed to put a resistor on any of the CC pins in the cable like you are on the legacy cables.

Full-featured USB 3.1 Type-C to Type-C cables (the ones with SuperSpeed capability) are supposed to have a special identifier chip inside, but I have yet to find a way to verify these yet. 

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My Nexus 5 just got the November 2015 security update.
Meanwhile my 2013 WIFI Nexus 7 still doesn't have Marshmallow.

Google: We're serious about security so we'll give you monthly* updates.

*may take more than a month to actually arrive.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you Jabronis really need the latest and greatest this works on Nexus 6s on Verizon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/3pt3da/to_those_of_us_with_an_unlocked_n6_on_vzw_still/cw99cua

There is a link about how it could gently caress up your phone with regards to apps. I didn't have any issues when I did it over the weekend but meh probably will destroy your phone so don't do it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Hungry Computer posted:

I looked through some of his reviews and replies, and it seems like they're using resistors meant for type-c on the type-a end. The cables should have more resistance on the type-a end since it's not designed to carry that much power, or something to that effect.
He calls that Anker-brand charger high quality. So I suppose their cables are, too, right? Because I see them on Amazon, and they're priced OK enough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

He calls that Anker-brand charger high quality. So I suppose their cables are, too, right? Because I see them on Amazon, and they're priced OK enough.

I've bought loads of Anker cables and they always charge quickly and feel nice and snug in the ports. Other cables like PortaPow wiggle quite badly in some devices to the extent they stop charging.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

The Merkinman posted:

Guessing you prefer OTA? I sideloaded the update to marshmellow w/o wiping and have been getting security updates on it since.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

pun pundit posted:

So it turns out either my charger, USB-C cable, or phone USB port on my brand new Nexus 5x is broken, because the phone is not taking any charge. No brick-and-mortar store that I can find sells USB A-to-C cables and I don't know if my battery can last until I get the one I've ordered. The google store does not yet sell USB-C chargers in Norway. I see that Apple uses USB-C for their macbooks. Is there any reason a charger designed for a macbook would not work on my 5x?

You should RMA it. It's brand new.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anker stuff is pretty good.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

deong posted:

Guessing you prefer OTA? I sideloaded the update to marshmellow w/o wiping and have been getting security updates on it since.

Do you have to have an unlocked bootloader to sideload OTAs?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

SB35 posted:

You should RMA it. It's brand new.

I would prefer to RMA only the part that is broken (hopefully it's the wire or the charger) so that I can use the phone and not have to wait for a new one to be shipped to me. Hence my question. I'll stop by the apple store tomorrow and see if I can test a macbook charger.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

Do you have to have an unlocked bootloader to sideload OTAs?

Nope. If you can get your hands on the OTA zip file, you can apply it using "adb sideload" even if you're locked.

You do, however, need an unlocked bootloader if you want to upgrade via downloading a factory image and flashing everything but the userdata partition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope. If you can get your hands on the OTA zip file, you can apply it using "adb sideload" even if you're locked.

You do, however, need an unlocked bootloader if you want to upgrade via downloading a factory image and flashing everything but the userdata partition.

Ok, neat. Of course, my lollipop -> marshmallow OTA doesn't exist yet, but good to know.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

the nicker posted:

What does the connector type matter for that? The charger is negotiating the appropriate current with the device.

For USB-A, none of the allowed charging options support 3A. The cable is reporting that it supports that, so you run the risk of damaging the charger by attempting to draw 3A from it.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

pairofdimes posted:

For USB-A, none of the allowed charging options support 3A. The cable is reporting that it supports that, so you run the risk of damaging the charger by attempting to draw 3A from it.

It's a 3.6A charger.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

the nicker posted:

It's a 3.6A charger.

The issue is that the charger isn't telling the device what the max current to draw is, the cable is. If you use one of the problem cables to connect to a PC or weak charger the device will still attempt to draw 3A.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Hmm, from the sounds of it, couldn't you measure current draw using a KillAWatt and a plain USB Type-A outlet charger? Would be cheaper than that newfangled USB Type-C tester.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

pairofdimes posted:

The issue is that the charger isn't telling the device what the max current to draw is, the cable is. If you use one of the problem cables to connect to a PC or weak charger the device will still attempt to draw 3A.

I just tested the cable on two other wall chargers I had laying around. In an old 2A charger I get "charging rapidly" and on a 1A charger I just get "charging".

Does anyone know what the amp threshold is between "charging" and "charging rapidly"? I'd like to make sure it's not pulling more than 2A from the 2A charger.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jan posted:

Hmm, from the sounds of it, couldn't you measure current draw using a KillAWatt and a plain USB Type-A outlet charger? Would be cheaper than that newfangled USB Type-C tester.

I'm sure there's some AC-DC conversion inefficiency somewhere between 99 % and 1% that makes that not very accurate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's pretty cool to put my phone on the various cheap Qi pads around the house and in my office to charge my phone.

Come on, wouldn't it be way better to buy all new chargers and cables (by that I mean the ones that won't permanently damage your devices) and instead of just placing your phone anywhere without thinking go back to plugging in your phone like some person from 2007? Just think about how much nicer that would be than using all of those existing chargers, cables, and pads you already own so that charging could once again be a horrible daily hassle.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I ordered a couple of these Type C to A cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143QXJIG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Haven't shipped yet for some reason, but not sure if I can trust the user reviews. Guess we'll find out if they ever get to me! :v:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

The Merkinman posted:

Is your N7 (2013) on LMY48T, which was a security update for LMY48M? They released the Marshmallow update for the latter, but for whatever reason, not the former, so you couldn't even sideload an OTA update if you wanted to. I'm in the same situation, and it's annoying as hell.

On the upside, the N6P has almost replaced the N7 in most cases for me anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Come on, wouldn't it be way better to buy all new chargers and cables (by that I mean the ones that won't permanently damage your devices) and instead of just placing your phone anywhere without thinking go back to plugging in your phone like some person from 2007?
I thought this would be annoying and then it turned out that I get eight hours of screen-time on my 6P so I hardly even have to care about charging it. My N5 was struggling to get two hours. The hassle is rather minimal.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Marshmallow is pretty much Lollipop with a few tweaks, so why not have a play around with her phone and see if you like it? It's hard for anyone to say you'd be happy with an update if you're intentionally staying on an old version for your own reasons

Fair enough. I mainly ask because I can't tell if theres a real killer feature I'm missing. Like I was happy with XP, but Windows 7 just had so many improvements.

I'll play with my girlfriends phone though as you suggested.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Marshmallow running like a dream on my 2013 N7

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I ordered a slickwraps skin for my 6P. Hopefully its more wrap and less slick.

Also only the back will be going on as I also got a tempered glass screen protector.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Apparently 6.0 is rolling out to the Moto G 3rd gen, and someone on reddit apparently got invited to a soak test for the 2nd gen Moto G for some kind of update.

I have a second gen moto G, and it's pretty terrible right now. Memory management sucks, can't play music and use maps navigation at the same time without one of them getting kicked out of memory. Music constantly skips, pauses itself, and pops when playing over bluetooth.

So yeah, hopefully whatever soak test that is fixes some of those problems because woof, I used to be a big Motorola fan up until I got this phone.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a thread for OnePlus? I'd be interested in getting an invite to their retarded invite-only purchase system for the OnePlus 2.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If there is a thread about it I don't think you'll want to go there

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Jossos posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a thread for OnePlus? I'd be interested in getting an invite to their retarded invite-only purchase system for the OnePlus 2.

It's supplementary to the drinking thread over in D&D.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jossos posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to why?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

iamsosmrt posted:

Fair enough. I mainly ask because I can't tell if theres a real killer feature I'm missing. Like I was happy with XP, but Windows 7 just had so many improvements.

I'll play with my girlfriends phone though as you suggested.
I have an N5 and my experience with marshmallow has been fantastic. I don't use my phone heavily throughout the day but I have had a number of two and a half day stretches without charging it which I've only had on a flip phone.

I'm experiencing similar results with my N9, though I don't play games on it, just use it for internet surfing.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Skarsnik posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to why?

To buy one of the phones without having to go through gray import and running the risk of getting dinged for (European) import taxes?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Please don't get a oneplus phone

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

All the reviews I've read are pretty good for its price range, and I'm not keen on Nexus simply because I don't like the way it looks. Is there an obvious flaw I'm missing, besides their retarded purchase system?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The fact they have that system pretty much sums up why you should not settle for a one plus whatever

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Update to the Android Auto app just came out. Seems like it's fixing a lot of performance issues (at least with one drives experience). I was getting very frustrated with AA as it was getting sluggish, non-responsive, or flat out crashing left and right. I originally thought it was because the Moto G was low powered and it didn't have enough to drive the display also but then I got my 5X and experienced even worse performance.

Was even going as far to begin testing to see if turning off my Moto 360 during the drive would help anything. So far smooth as butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

GokieKS posted:

Is your N7 (2013) on LMY48T, which was a security update for LMY48M? They released the Marshmallow update for the latter, but for whatever reason, not the former, so you couldn't even sideload an OTA update if you wanted to. I'm in the same situation, and it's annoying as hell.

On the upside, the N6P has almost replaced the N7 in most cases for me anyway.

I ended up getting the update yesterday, so I guess complaining here worked!