Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait so there's no way to pledge and just get a PHR starter? I want to give Hawk money, but PHR is all I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

BULBASAUR posted:

Wait so there's no way to pledge and just get a PHR starter? I want to give Hawk money, but PHR is all I care about.

PHR is unlocked, albeit with no pictures yet.. You can pledge for a single starter.

So, you will be fine!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

BULBASAUR posted:

What they are saying is you cant get the PHR in the 2 player starter. You can just get the PHR starter and the rulebook with the lieutenant pledge, but you wont get the tokens or whatever that are in the 2 player set.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've just finished listening to the podcast and it included an intriguing side-note. Apparently BFG-style placed-marker torpedoes will be a PHR special weapon. They're described as steerable and guided, and explicitly work by being tough and having damage points to survive PDS hits. They're a PHR "dreadnought-killer", and might be a rare sight in other factions as well.

EDIT: Also, that UCM frigate with the big domes gets a mention. It's an electronic warfare and targeting ship; it hands out spikes to other ships.

Loxbourne fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 3, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I interpret the torpedo thing to be that PHR will have the only cruiser able to carry one of them, but that other races will get them on larger hulls. I'm guessing they will get models if they will be on the board between turns.

I'm pretty sure that at the end there Dave let slip that there will be fighter squadron models similar to Star Wars Armada by the sound of it.

It also sounded like the door is not yet closed on additional pledge levels but the decision is not made on what they will be. Fingers crossed...

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
It's interesting watch all this unfold as a Resistance player as I really don't have a dog in this fight. I hope at some point they introduce a Resistance faction in Dropfleet , perhaps something akin to a Battlestar Galactica wandering fleet. That being said I'm definelty not holding my breath.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

The Sisko posted:

I hope at some point they introduce a Reisiatnce faction in Dropfleet , perhaps something akin to a Battlestar Galactica wandering fleet.

This is exactly what Hawk have said they're thinking about doing, just not as part of this Kickstarter. He mentioned a "Survivor" faction that might raid for supplies or be forced into the battlezone by necessity, or ally with the UCM as support ships.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Loxbourne posted:

This is exactly what Hawk have said they're thinking about doing, just not as part of this Kickstarter. He mentioned a "Survivor" faction that might raid for supplies or be forced into the battlezone by necessity, or ally with the UCM as support ships.

:swoon: Well damnit now I'm excited again.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 4, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sisko posted:

:swoon: We'll damnit
We will drat it. We will.

:v:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

We will drat it. We will.

:v:

That's what I get for posting with my iPad :v: . On another note are any DZC goons in the Bay Area? My local scene is non existent and I'd like to get some games in since the person who got me into this game has moved out of state.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ugleb posted:

I interpret the torpedo thing to be that PHR will have the only cruiser able to carry one of them, but that other races will get them on larger hulls. I'm guessing they will get models if they will be on the board between turns.

I'm pretty sure that at the end there Dave let slip that there will be fighter squadron models similar to Star Wars Armada by the sound of it.

It also sounded like the door is not yet closed on additional pledge levels but the decision is not made on what they will be. Fingers crossed...

Naw, PHRs thing will be to force your enemy to set up all their ships first and then forfeit the game because of ball issues.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
It's a little sad that to get the limited ed ship I have to buy two starter sets. It'd be nice if I could swap out the second set and replace with the PHR and shaltari kits. I'd be happy to pay the extra ten quid!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Dr. Phildo posted:

It's a little sad that to get the limited ed ship I have to buy two starter sets. It'd be nice if I could swap out the second set and replace with the PHR and shaltari kits. I'd be happy to pay the extra ten quid!

Exactly what I want Hawk to offer!

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

PHR look pretty sweet.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh, hello :getin:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

"Very matrix-y" decrees my wife. I like it, does have that PHR feel to it. Maybe not quite as curvy as most of the Dropzone models but that is probably deliberate. Shouldn't read too much into a single render though I guess!

Edit - I think I was expecting wider but shallower, like the Athena.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Plenty of surface area for brightly coloured stripes!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Looks like Giger's alien.

I... I think I need to back this now :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Welp

:gizz:

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Oh my

that's me down for both a UCM and a PHR starter fleet

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

BTW this is the point in the campaign where I expect a sudden surge of pledging. ;)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ugleb posted:

I think I was expecting wider but shallower, like the Athena.

I imagine they'll go with the Athena shape for PHR frigates.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Hawk, stop. I used all my miniature budget :ohdear:

BTW, is there an overview of each faction's playstyle? I remember something mentioned that DFC ships play differently than that side's land/air counterparts in DZC.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

If im remembering correctly, going from random statements they have made on that podcast and some other places it should be something like this:

UCM is the all rounder again. Lots of turrets for their weapons.

Scourge are fast and aggressive, preferring close action weapons (Not entirely sure here, but the podcast said they were an aggressive fleet, and not super tough).

Shaltari have lots of weapons with fixed firing arcs, have their infantry use void gates to teleport from a mothership to the ground (so presumably you need to keep your mothership safe? more so than other factions?). They also have a tough shield they can activate. If its on though they get an energy spike of some sort (large i think) as the podcast said if the shields on they can basically be shot from anywhere. So they are a faction of positioning and timing when to turn the shield on or off.

PHR I think somewhere they said they are focused on broadsides, generally tough, and stealthy(?) (not sure where this came from but I remember reading it...)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
From the Beasts of War videos, the Scourge seem to focus on fast, fragile ships with short-range high-damage weapons. Their close-action weapons aren't shown, but their standard guns are short-ranged and do two points of damage per hit. Likewise their burn-through lasers come in pairs, but are less accurate.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Pash posted:

PHR look pretty sweet.

hello

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Fun thought. The Warpath Kickstarter was a 30 day campaign that raised $485,000. Covert to GBP that is about £315,000.

Dropfleet has been running for 5 days and is over £263,000 with 29 days to go! I'm kinda wondering where this is going to finish up...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ugleb posted:

Fun thought. The Warpath Kickstarter was a 30 day campaign that raised $485,000. Covert to GBP that is about £315,000.

Dropfleet has been running for 5 days and is over £263,000 with 29 days to go! I'm kinda wondering where this is going to finish up...
I'm pretty certain we'll get to the £350,000 stretch goal, but I'm not counting on the £500,000 one. We'll see though, it's still early and there'll be another surge in the last two days.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Safety Factor posted:

I'm pretty certain we'll get to the £350,000 stretch goal, but I'm not counting on the £500,000 one. We'll see though, it's still early and there'll be another surge in the last two days.

I think £500,000 is a reasonable estimate.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I think it really depends. They have been trending downward every day (the PHR reveal seems to have boosted things the last couple hours though). I really hope we make the $500,000 goal but it could be really close, especially as we probably need to get to like 4000 backers at least as a bunch of the early backers were at the admiral level, and most other backers are probably backing it for less.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Kickstarters generally slow down towards the end of week 1 and speed up dramatically in the final week. I think PHR are popular and anticipated enough that they will cause a surge of pledging as these first images come out. When the prototype and painted model images appear for them and Shaltari that will create another round of buzz and help to maintain interest.

I would be stunned if that 350k goal isn't hit and probably by the middle of next week.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pash posted:

I think it really depends. They have been trending downward every day (the PHR reveal seems to have boosted things the last couple hours though). I really hope we make the $500,000 goal but it could be really close, especially as we probably need to get to like 4000 backers at least as a bunch of the early backers were at the admiral level, and most other backers are probably backing it for less.

That is all kickstarters. High first couple days, slump in the middle, high last couple days.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Squadrons, ho

Also a new pledge level

1 x Dropfleet Commander 2 Player Starter Set
2 x Faction Starter Fleets of your choice from UCM, Scourge, PHR, Shaltari
Kickstarter Exclusive UCMF Atlantis model.
3 x Kickstarter Exclusive Battlecruisers (choice from those unlocking on the 25th Nov)
This is a "High Rank" Level and so all backers at this level receive the High Rank Rewards as well as the "All Backer" Rewards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Commodore is totally my jam. Anyone in the UK want my scourge for some UCM?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Though I'll probably wait to see what the race cruisers look like, might still go for the £45 + addons pledge.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I, too, upped to Commodore. Although it's plausible I'll go back to Captain and just add on another 35 GBP starter.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yep, chalk up another upgrade to Commodore. That is pretty much exactly what I want.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I wasn't expecting them to put the Battlecruisers into the commodore pledge tbh! I think it is fairly good value though, not so much because I want 'famous' ships but because the KS exclusives are going to be tournament legal alternative sculpts and therefore useful to me as tournaments are where most of my Dropzone games are getting played!

The launch assets are interesting, but not sure that I love them yet. I'm getting the impression that there aren't going to be racial variants of them in the KS and that doing so will be a low priority. They will be plastic if I'm reading that right, so I guess that implies the other two miniature unlocks listed are also going to be plastics?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The GW Death thread (RIP) introduced me to Dropzone Commander and it seems pretty cool. What's the best way to determine if people play it in my area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

The GW Death thread (RIP) introduced me to Dropzone Commander and it seems pretty cool. What's the best way to determine if people play it in my area?

Probably Facebook/Hope and Prayer...