Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Seriously, e-cigarettes? They used to let you smoke on board. Real cigarettes, I mean, with tobacco and particulates and everything. It's a nuclear missile submarine, not a Class 10 clean room. Not shaving on board went out with the Kriegsmarine, back when you could sink the boat by flushing the toilet.

I was never on a British boat or a missile boat, but we had guys selling (pretty good) clipper haircuts in the head the day before a port visit. There was nothing remotely scandalous about it and it never caused any problems with anything; it was encouraged because it kept your appearance in regulations before you went off and did something REALLY scandalous in a foreign country. The galley has diner-style deep fryers with baskets; it has its own ventilation hood but I would bet aerosolized cooking oil would cause a problem in the ventilation systems way before some hair would, and it never did. The equipment is designed to survive a brief hit from basically a fire hose, along with whatever else. This isn't generally delicate stuff.

Smoking on board and while submerged was allowed (I left in the mid-2000s). The smoke pit was in the Auxiliary Machinery room right next to a machine that precipitated CO2 out of the whole boat's air and another that did the same for catalyzing CO and H2 out. They had no problem handling a few cigarettes (number of smokers at a time was limited basically just to keep them out of the way of the Machinist's Mate of the Watch). On special occasions (sometimes just for Saturday movies and poker), the Captain would allow smoking on the mess decks, with no problems from the air systems. There was even a crusty old Chief electrician who actually had pipes and stuff, all his pipes and tobacco and cleaners and pokies and doodads in a canvas bag like a shaving kit. The only way he would have had trouble with that would be if he were not a Chief but junior enlisted scum; it would have been assumed to be drug paraphernalia often enough that he'd just give up because of the hassle.

And yes, occasionally liquefied human poo poo would end up getting vented into the boat for some reason or another. It wasn't pleasant but it was very rare, and people just accepted it as a consequence of having a bunch of people making daily additions to a sanitary system that shared space with living spaces. It shouldn't ever happen, but sometimes equipment has issues or someone does something stupid. Hey, sometimes the campground's shitter backs up. I'm not trying to sound cavalier or salty about it, just that hey, it happened, people were kept away, it was cleaned, and the spaces that were contaminated were disinfected. It smelled like poo poo, yeah, but I can't imagine anyone trying to 'leak' (lol) it out to BRING DWON TEH FLEAT. I don't take my home toilet backing up as an indictment of the construction or plumbing industries.

I haven't read this report, but I have read some excerpts posted. Like Phanatic and others before him have said, I get the distinct feeling that this kid went on a cruise, didn't like it, and tried to get back at THEM by posting it. Neither the Royal nor American Navies have conscription now and in the US at least Submarine Service is all volunteer. Still, loads of people sign up, have regrets, and deal with it one way or another and one way is drama-queening. Others, we do our few years and leave. I would never do it again, but I also wouldn't not have done it; it's a great experience to have had but yeah, it can be pretty loving rough while you're doing it. A decade's passage makes the rough stuff go away and makes the fun stuff stick with you :3 http://terminallance.com/2015/10/20/terminal-lance-403-life-after-eas-nostalgia/

The low oxygen thing may be valid; there's a huge gently caress-off cabinet right in the middle of the middle-level passageway between the berthing spaces and the mess decks that shows you in large friendly numbers the percentages of various monitored gases. Some are normal and expected like oxygen and carbon dioxide, some can be grounds for concern like carbon monoxide, and some are serious worries like refrigerants (freon-like stuff). This is one of the stop-by stations for one of the watchstanders who were on the 'roam a circuit around the boat and take logs' kind of duty. Anyway, we can precipitate CO2 out of the air and generate O2, so we had a pretty good handle on how much of each was in the air, and yes, the oxygen underway was often well south of the 21% Earth humans would expect, like maybe 18% give or take. This is to prevent the spread of fire. It sounds surprising, but I believe it would be pretty effective. All the new guys' fancy Zippos from sub school would not light at all, though a Bic would just fine, so there must have been a useful margin of ignition in there that made it safer. I can't imagine the effects - over maybe a month or two before you do an air recirculate - would be more harmful than, say, living a few thousand feet or maybe 2km above sea level.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

I heard one person joke about how he accidentally throw a weight and it nearly hit a missiles firing unit.

This may be just my civilian naïveté, but there's no way in hell that it's possible to accidentally fire a nuclear missile that easily, right?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

This may be just my civilian naïveté, but there's no way in hell that it's possible to accidentally fire a nuclear missile that easily, right?

Experience bias disclosure: I was with USN submarines, not RN

Absolutely not. First, there's a whole complicated sequence to shooting any weapon larger than a pistol. Second, the equipment is designed to hilarious tolerances. The simplest and most trivial equipment cabinet is bolted to the floor or the wall or more often both on shock-mounts and is built like a safe - picture a convenience store time safe that houses the squid-piss level detector or whatever. The equipment might be poo poo and you have to replace a burned-out card in it, every few weeks, but you have to unscrew thirty captive bolts and prop open the vault door to get at that card that lets you monitor that precious squid piss.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So, could they bathe with seawater or was that worse than not bathing?

From http://www.uboataces.com/articles-life-uboat.shtml

quote:

Crew habitability ranked very low on the priority list of German U-boats. Fresh water was limited and strictly rationed for drinking, especially when they had opted to fill one of their water tanks with diesel fuel to extend their operational range. Washing and showering were not permitted, with all activities of shaving, laundry being postponed throughout the entire duration of the patrol. They were allowed only the clothes on their backs and a single change of underwear and socks. To remove salt from their skin caused by seawater exposure, crews were issued with special saltwater soap, but this was unpopular as it left a scummy film on the skin. To control body odour, a deodorant was used.

And that deodorant, Kolibri, was often not even used but given to girlfriends or family instead. Some U-boats had a DIY system on board where they hung a hose with makeshift showerhead(s) behind the conning tower and pumped seawater through it so the crew could take a shower. And the crews of the long range boats and Mediterranean boats were sometimes allowed to swim in the sea if there was little chance of Allied aircraft attacking them. The Type XXI boats were the first German U-boats to have a (small) dedicated washroom and stuff like freezers.

Molentik fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 4, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phanatic posted:

The guy who "leaked" that information is pretty much full of poo poo on a lot of things, like thinking that the boat's maximum safe depth is 213 feet. The guy went on one patrol, didn't understand how anything worked, and freaked out.

quote:

Okay, I read most of it. I was on a Trident sub years ago and I can tell you this guy is mostly full of poo poo.

I think the problem is he was on his first patrol and freaked out about the experience. He makes a lot of assumptions about areas of the ship he knows nothing about. In addition, he turned sea stories and legends into incidents and he doesn’t even understand the ship’s capabilities. The biggest problem is he doesn’t understand how submariners are super professional yet act cavalier about things.

SECURITY - Checking IDs on base isn’t like going through TSA because an assumption is made that most people on the base has a certain level of clearance. Just because security isn’t up to his standard, doesn’t mean it’s not up to the RN’s standard.

FAULTY EQUIPEMENT - Submarines are the most fascinating pieces of engineering. Things break constantly, which is why there are two of almost everything on a boat. I can’t speak to the hydraulics bay flooding with seawater in his specific case but again, it sounds like a new guy who doesn’t know that the professionals know their hardware intimately.

CAMP - The missile compartment CAMP watch is boring as poo poo but again they know their panel really well. I remember the alarms going off all the time and the Missile Techs just blowing it off. But they knew what to blow off and what to take seriously. He doesn’t even know what the alarm was, sometimes it’s something benign like a humidity alarm.

CLASSIFIED INFORMATION - Everyone on a US sub has Secret clearance and Top Secret was for a select few who had to lock the door before breaking open the TS binder. Guess what? Sometimes they left the door open. Doesn’t mean there’s a security issue.

NON-QUALs ANNOYING PEOPLE - This is the dumbest part where he said the 31 new people were distracting the people on watch. That is how they get trained? My first day underway on the submarine they said, “hey new guy. We’re about to dive. Sit in that chair.” Before I knew what was happening, I was an idiot 18 year old submerging a billion dollar warship under the sea! I couldn’t believe it but if I screwed up they’d take over. This is how the military in general works. Learn by doing.

POOR SUB TRAINING - “That’s it?” Yes, if you ever go through submarine school, the poo poo is easy. He sounds like it was substandard but it’s just easy.

I don't know poo poo about subs, but this part in particular struck me as odd. Alarms probably shouldn't be going off all the time. Or if they are there should be lots of different alarms. Of course maybe there are; it seems odd that the missile compartment of all things would be poorly engineered.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Someone should do an effortpost on the differences in amenities and comforts and general 'non-warfighting' design differences between submarines in WWII. I dunno if American subs had showers to best the U-Boats, but some of em had ice cream machines so I'll chalk that up as a win for :patriot:

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

Someone should do an effortpost on the differences in amenities and comforts and general 'non-warfighting' design differences between submarines in WWII. I dunno if American subs had showers to best the U-Boats, but some of em had ice cream machines so I'll chalk that up as a win for :patriot:

US boats also had air-conditioning and refrigerators.

On the flip side German torpedoes tended to, well, work.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PittTheElder posted:

Alarms probably shouldn't be going off all the time. Or if they are there should be lots of different alarms. Of course maybe there are; it seems odd that the missile compartment of all things would be poorly engineered.

Ever been in a hospital ICU? There are alarms going off in every room, all the time, and they all sound the same. Maybe the alarm's going off because someone's coding and needs immediate attention, maybe it's because the blood O2 monitor just fell off their finger.

Yes, that's not ideal, and people die because of alarm overload, but remember this is the RN, which when it comes to things like naval reactors and nuclear missiles has a long-standing institutional policy of THOU SHALT PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY SINGLE THING AT EVERY SINGLE TIME, and human interface design is *hard*.

It used to be that way in airplanes, too, and it took a lot of effort to get that pared back to something reasonable. Read this whole thing, about how a hospital massively overdosed a kid with antibiotics in part due to all those alarms:

https://medium.com/backchannel/how-technology-led-a-hospital-to-give-a-patient-38-times-his-dosage-ded7b3688558

quote:

Barbara Drew, a nurse-researcher at UCSF, has been studying a similar problem, alarms in the ICU, for decades. During that time, she has seen them grow louder, more frequent, and more insistent. She has witnessed many Code Blues triggered by false alarms, as well as deaths when alarms were silenced by nurses who had simply grown weary of all the noise.

A 2011 investigation by the Boston Globe identified at least 216 deaths in the U. S. between January 2005 and June 2010 linked to alarm malfunction or alarm fatigue. In 2013, The Joint Commission, the main accreditor of American hospitals, issued an urgent directive calling on hospitals to improve alarm safety. The ECRI Institute, a nonprofit consulting organization that monitors data on medical errors, has listed alarm-related problems as the top technology hazard in healthcare in each of the last four years.

There are many reasons for false alarms: misprogrammed thresholds; dying batteries; loosening of an electronic lead taped to the patient’s chest. But plenty of alarms are triggered by the activities of daily hospital living. Liz Kowalczyk, who led the investigation for the Globe, spent a morning in the cardiac unit at Boston Children’s Hospital. She observed:

"The nurse hurried into Logan’s room — only to find a pink-cheeked, kicking 3-month-old, breathing well, cooing happily. Logan was fine. His pumping legs had triggered the crisis alarm again.

The red alarm is the most urgent, meant to alert nurses to a dangerously slow or fast heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, or low blood oxygen level. But on this morning . . . infants and preschoolers activated red alarms by eating, burping and cutting and pasting paper for an arts and crafts project."

In the face of growing nationwide concern about alert fatigue, Barbara Drew, the UCSF researcher, set out to quantify the magnitude of the problem. For a full month in early 2013, she and her colleagues electronically tapped into the bedside cardiac alarms in UCSF’s five intensive care units, which monitored an average of 66 patients each day. Mind you, this is just the bedside cardiac monitor, which follows the patient’s EKG, heart rate, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation. It does not include the IV machine alarms, mechanical ventilator alarms, bed exit alarms, or nurse call bell. Nor does it include any of the alerts in the computer system, such as the Septra overdose alert that Jenny Lucca overlooked.
Drew’s findings were shocking. Every day, the bedside cardiac monitors threw off some 187 audible alerts. No, not 187 audible alerts for all the beds in the five ICUs; 187 alerts were generated by the monitors in each patient’s room, an average of one alarm buzzing or beeping by the bedside every eight minutes. Every day, there were about 15,000 alarms across all the ICU beds. For the entire month, there were 381,560 alarms across the five ICUs. Remember, this is from just one of about a half-dozen systems connected to the patients, each tossing off its own alerts and alarms.

And those are just the audible ones. If you add the inaudible alerts, those that signal with flashing lights and text-based messages, there were 2,507,822 unique alarms in one month in our ICUs, the overwhelming majority of them false. Add in the bed alarms, the ventilators, and the computerized alerts . . . well, you get the idea.

I wanted to see if medicine might learn from other professionals who need to perform their tasks in a swirling, often confusing, high-stakes environment. The aviation industry seemed like a natural place to look, so I spoke to Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, the famed “Miracle on the Hudson” pilot. “The warnings in cockpits now are prioritized so you don’t get alarm fatigue,” he told me. “We work very hard to avoid false positives because false positives are one of the worst things you could do to any warning system. It just makes people tune them out.” He encouraged me to visit Boeing’s headquarters to see how its cockpit engineers manage the feat of alerting pilots at the right time, in the right way, while avoiding alert fatigue.

I spent a day in Seattle with several of the Boeing engineers and human factors experts responsible for cockpit design in the company’s commercial fleet. “We created this group to look across all the different gauges and indicators and displays and put it together into a common, consistent set of rules,” Bob Myers, chief of the team, told me. “We are responsible for making sure the integration works out.”

I sat inside the dazzling cockpit of a 777 simulator with Myers and Alan Jacobsen, a technical fellow with the flight deck team, as they enumerated the hierarchy of alerts that pilots may see. They are:

* An impending stall leads to red lights, a red text message, a voice warning, and activation of the “stick shaker,” meaning that the steering wheel vibrates violently. “The plane is going to fall out of the sky if you don’t do anything,” Myers explained calmly.
* Further down the hierarchy are “warnings,” of which there are about 40. These are events that require immediate pilot awareness and rapid action, although they may not threaten the flight path. Believe it or not, an engine fire no longer merits a higher-level warning because it doesn’t affect the flight path. (“Fires in engines are almost nonevents now,” said Myers, because the systems to handle them are so robust.) The conventions for warnings are red lights, text and a voice alarm, but no stick shaker. Impressively, the color red is never used in the cockpit except for high-level warnings — that’s how much thought the industry has given to these standards.
* The next level down is a “caution,” and there are about 150 such situations. Cautions require immediate pilot awareness but may not require instant action. Having an engine quit in a multiengine plane generates only a caution (again, my jaw drops when I hear this), since the pilot may or may not have to do something right away, depending on the plane’s altitude. A failure of the air-conditioning system — which ultimately can lead to a loss of cabin pressure — is another caution event. With cautions, the lights and text are amber, and there is only one alert modality, usually visual.
* The final level is an “advisory,” like the failure of a hydraulic pump. Since jets are designed with massive redundancy, no action is required, but the pilot does need to know about it, since it might influence the way the landing gear responds late in the flight. Advisories trigger an amber text message — now indented — on the cockpit screen, and no warning light.

For every kind of alert, a checklist automatically pops up on a central screen to help guide the cockpit crew to a solution. The checklists are preprogrammed to match the problems that triggered the alert.

And that’s it. I asked Myers and Jacobsen how, with more than 10,000 data points recorded on every flight, they resist the urge to warn the pilots about everything, as we seem to do in healthcare. “It’s a judgment call,” Jacobsen told me. “We have a team of people — experts in systems safety and analysis — who make that judgment.” Because of this process, the percentage of flights that have any alerts whatsoever — warnings, cautions, or advisories — is low, well below 10 percent.

I wondered whether the designers of individual components sometimes advocate for their own favorite alerts. Myers chuckled. “It’s funny, you’ll get some young engineer whose responsibility is the window heat system. He comes in with this list of 25 messages that he wants us to tell the pilot about his system: it’s on high, it’s on medium, it’s on low, it’s partially failed, you can’t operate it below 26 degrees. . . . He comes out of the meeting — a meeting in which the pilots say, ‘We don’t care!’ — and he’s like [Myers affects an Eeyore voice], ‘This is my job, this is my life, and it doesn’t even make it onto the flight deck.’”

Like many of aviation’s safety solutions, the parsimonious approach to alerts came from insights born of tragedies. “The original ‘gear down’ warning was linked to the throttle,” recalled Myers, meaning that it went off, falsely, every time the pilot slowed the plane. “So the pilots’ learned response was throttle back, disconnect the alert.” Predictably, this led to accidents when pilots ignored this alert even when there truly was a problem. Another example: in the early days of the Boeing 727, some alerts were so frequent and wrong that pilots yanked the circuit breakers to quash them.

When I told the Boeing engineers about my world — not only the frequency of computerized medication alerts, but also the ubiquity of alarms in our intensive care units — they were astonished. “Oh, my goodness,” was all Myers could say.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LeadSled posted:

Yeah good point, that would seem to be more important to a submarine's whole reason to exist. But hey, at least the guys were halfway comfortable so they weren't completely mutinous when they got back home with an empty torpedo room and no kills to show for it :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Arrath posted:

Yeah good point, that would seem to be more important to a submarine's whole reason to exist. But hey, at least the guys were halfway comfortable so they weren't completely mutinous when they got back home with an empty torpedo room and no kills to show for it :v:

They were confident enough to prove the lovely design of those Torpedoes too.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

I don't know poo poo about subs, but this part in particular struck me as odd. Alarms probably shouldn't be going off all the time. Or if they are there should be lots of different alarms. Of course maybe there are; it seems odd that the missile compartment of all things would be poorly engineered.
[/quote]

It's one of those design choices. In one of the nuclear fuel reprocessing buildings at Sellafield there's an alarm that's constantly on. It's purpose is to warn of a loss of power in certain parts of the system so it only stops when theres a power failure.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Iirc the AC was more to dehumidify the boat and not have electrical problems. I think I remember reading about it having something to do with the USN assuming tropical deployments with their boats.

Take that with a grain of salt it's poo poo burbling from the back of my memory.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LeadSled posted:

Both very important, especially air conditioning which, as was mentioned earlier, doesn't just keep you cool in the Pacific, it also dessicates the air and prevents condensation from forming on electrical equipment.

LeadSled posted:

More than ours, but they had a few rough edges too. Magnetic exploders malfunctioning due to iron deposits in shallow waters around Norway IIRC.

Phanatic posted:

Yes, that's not ideal, and people die because of alarm overload, but remember this is the RN, which when it comes to things like naval reactors and nuclear missiles has a long-standing institutional policy of THOU SHALT PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY SINGLE THING AT EVERY SINGLE TIME, and human interface design is *hard*.

One thing that surprised me when I first got to the boat was the near-lack of alarms. At all. I expected all sorts of things to be automated, this is the goddamn Starship Enterprise of the US Navy. But there isn't a single smoke detector on the boat, for example. Someone notices something burning, runs to a 4MC, makes a report to the Chief of the Watch, then goes back to start fighting the fire. The CoW takes the report, repeats it on the 1MC, then sounds the general alarm, things happen, &c. If a bilge starts filling, I don't remember there being an alarm - certainly not some central screen in control that flashes LEVEL HIGH IN AMR BILGE and hoots at you. After a while I caught on that the philosophy is that the automation is unnecessary if people are in the loop - ARE the loop - for everything that needs to be monitored. It has advantages. The MMoW can notice the bilge filling, locate the cause, and fix or at least manage it, and it may not be something that ever hazarded the ship in the first place. This protects the people in Control from information overload, but it also depends on MM3 Schmuckatelli actually checking that bilge on his rounds and noticing the level change from his last log entry. If he gaffs off the log-taking round, poo poo can go bad before Control ever finds out. It's a philosophy of human/machine interface that is distinctly different than in aviation, and they can really only get away with it because they can afford so many more people monitoring things.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

G1mby posted:

In one of the nuclear fuel reprocessing buildings at Sellafield there's an alarm that's constantly on. It's purpose is to warn of a loss of power in certain parts of the system so it only stops when theres a power failure.

Wouldn't it have been more practical to just use a normally closed contact for that alarm? :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

As someone who was worked with, around, and knows people who have worked with security systems of varying complexity, sometimes you have alarms on stuff that gets used a lot, but unless it happens at a time when it shouldn't, then there isn't much of an issue.

Where I currently work, there's an alarm system for a side door that has direct access to the parking lot. Seeing as its faster to exit out there to get to your car than, say, the rear or front doors, you probably won't care about sounding off an alarm for a few seconds. Especially when there's no real consequence to it either.

Or another alarm we have for a humidity system that broke down at one point and would constantly go off, no matter how many times it got reset or how wet or dry the area was. But since we didn't have a tech capable of fixing it, it took weeks (or months, I forget) before it was serviced and repaired.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that an alarm system doesn't spell necessarily disaster if an alarm goes off, just that it gives you information about an area or a component or etc, without having someone constantly on duty watching said thing (aside from the alarm panel, which watches everything at once).

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Klaus88 posted:

That's a lot of firepower on one AFV. :staredog:

If you want to see REALLY heavily armed look at the 4 model.

hogmartin posted:

It was crowded, but not cramped, I guess is the best way to describe it. There were lots of dudes, some of them foul-smelling, foul-mannered, or just foul, occupying the same space, but the space itself wasn't particularly close. There are some brief glimpses in videos like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4UzD6edY_8

This food in this video actually looks pretty loving decent, especially for what I was expecting. Was that just because they had visitors on board or was the food actually surprisingly good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4UzD6edY_8&t=220s

e: nevermind, I read on and it definitely seemed like you were not impressed lol

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 4, 2015

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just had a moment of fridge logic!

There's a street closed by me called Gustav Adolfs gade (gade means street). Then, as I was cooking, I was all.. That street, isn't it named after Gustav II of Sweden? It's bloody Gustavus bloody Adolphus! :aaaaa:

This thread delivers once again <3

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrMojok posted:

The USS San Francisco was said to be travelling somewhere around 30 knots when it hit that undersea mountain:

I was wondering, aside from trying to evade a torpedo, under what circumstances would a sub actually be going that fast, even in post-cold war times? Couldn't it have been heard from a long, long ways off, which is just plain bad?

Also, does the 688 generally cruise around with the towed sonar array spooled out? (I know San Francisco wasn't at that speed)

lmfao This is the guy who was in charge of this boat. I'm honestly surprised he didn't see it coming.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Frostwerks posted:

lmfao This is the guy who was in charge of this boat. I'm honestly surprised he didn't see it coming.

rent_a_cop_cape.jpeg

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Just so you know, a fun little 'general history tidbits' thread has opened up in PYF and is, so far, pretty ok: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749916

I thought you guys might be interested plus hopefully interested in it not being filled with total poo poo. Also, we currently don't have an active general history thread in A/T that I can see so we miss out on a lot of things like general Reneissance history, for example (mentioned that because the first few posts concentrate on that).

Forgive me for mentioning this in the MilHist thread but this is by far the most active history thread I know on SA so it seemed worth it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

G1mby posted:

I's one of those design choices. In one of the nuclear fuel reprocessing buildings at Sellafield there's an alarm that's constantly on. It's purpose is to warn of a loss of power in certain parts of the system so it only stops when theres a power failure.
I thought of this this instantly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the way, it looks like I'm going to be making a thread in GWS covering military rations. It'll include some historical stuff on rations through the ages, but much of it will be my own taste tests of various rations I'm able to buy from private sellers. I'll throw a link in here when the OP is up.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lord Tywin posted:

Mattias Gallas built the foundation for his family to be part of the highest echelons of the Bohemian nobility for 300 years with the money he made.
gallas got money by being a general. he got many of his noble appointments (and jitschin) by being one of the ringleaders of the conspiracy against wallenstein, everyone involved in that was very well compensated. aldringen too, the clary-aldringens were big austrian nobility for that reason

(it interests me how few children these guys have, so they often found dynasties through their siblings' kids or through daughters if they have any. so you get the clary-aldringens from general aldringen's sister and--one of my favorite German names--General Sporck founds the Swets-Sporcks through his daughters)

i will talk about the fiscal military state once the conference i'm at is over

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

My friend and I were wondering if someone knowledgeable in Soviet/Russian armored warfare could help with a question. Basically, what are the usual commands given in Russian for ordering an attack on a target with a tank? Like in the American military you've got "Gunner, HEAT tank" to order the gunner what ammo to use on the desired enemy target and "On the way" is shouted by the gunner before they fire. What gets used in Russian tanks?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Keldoclock posted:

So, why did you choose to do this? I never understand why anyone would willingly choose to eat a military ration. Even when they were provided to me for field ops I always just brought the sort of food I'd eat backpacking instead. I had a friend once, who, when told to bring 3 days of food for a trip into the mountains, chose a menu composed entirely of beef jerky, trail mix and canned ravioli :psyduck:

Military rations are not designed with the purpose of being eaten. They are designed with the purpose of ensuring the soldier has something to eat. Even the RILC, which is the closest thing to what I'd actually choose to eat, is still inferior to any assortment of readily available foods immediately assembled before the trip. It's just that, if you're willing to accept into consideration foods that have a shorter shelf life (i.e. a few weeks or months rather than years) you can get a much more palatable result. Likewise if you are OK with doing a little bit of cooking, just a bit of boiling, although of course baking and frying are possible too if you can accept a few grams more weight.

This is entirely personal experience but we got MREs the last time a big storm hosed us around a decade ago and I was pretty surprised at how palatable they were. Hunger is one hell of a spice and since these menus are in all likelihood made by committee the focus group's input is going to produce something that has an average balance of nutrients, calories and taste that also keeps alright and is relatively lightweight. Save up your little tabasco bottles and dump them all in the jambalaya and that's one hell of an edible entree. Spicy nacho sauce in the chili-mac was good too. And the chocolate dairy shake (now discontinued because of loving salmonella lol) was legitimately great, hungry or not. As in, I would pay money (not a lot, mind you) to have them again. As long as they salmonella free, obviously. The vegetarian meals were god awful, no mistake.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

[/quote]

The most frequently destroyed button on virtually any military system is the "Alert Acknowledge" button.

It was fun doing report printouts to see how many thousand times I'd hit that switch during a 60 minute evaluation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

mlmp08 posted:

It was fun doing report printouts to see how many thousand times I'd hit that switch during a 60 minute evaluation.

Was it an old dotmatrix style printer?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SeanBeansShako posted:

Was it an old dotmatrix style printer?

Nah, rolls of heat paper you manually load into a serpentine feed assembly. Swapping rolls of paper in MOPP is a hoot.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Frostwerks posted:

I was pretty surprised at how palatable they were.

Oh sure, they're edible. But so is burnt canned ravioli ;) Really, that's about the standard I'd put the good (read: british american french. Bafflingly, NOT the IDF. They are still running with 1970s style combat rations, but they have halva. I'd take a 100% halva ration and eat it for weeks) combat rations, about as good as canned food. Certainly it beats iron rations, but it isn't going to be better than rehydrating meals I have myself prepared at home and packing in fresh food as far as feasible.

Why not eat something that is actually delicious, right? Why put up with mediocrity? That's been my attitude, anyways. I've just seen youtube videos and stuff of people sampling various combat rations like faux-gormets and I can only react with :psyduck:

The MCW/LRP is basically as good as it's going to get for military rations, and I wouldn't expect anything better from the militaries of the future, but as an individual, on short operations I'd rather have fresh food and on long operations I'd rather just have an assortment of ingredients(ready-to-eat or otherwise, with shelf lives based on how long the operation will be) I can mix and match to my tastes- The main problem with the MREs as they are is that soldiers don't eat the whole ration, and freely trade or throw away the parts they don't want ;) And that's of course, assuming it is impossible to just buy stuff from the locals or roast up the wildlife :chef:

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 5, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The thread on military food is now open!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750036

Feel free to jump in with your own comments on a soldier's diet. Historical perspectives beyond 20th century American is always appreciated.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

My friend and I were wondering if someone knowledgeable in Soviet/Russian armored warfare could help with a question. Basically, what are the usual commands given in Russian for ordering an attack on a target with a tank? Like in the American military you've got "Gunner, HEAT tank" to order the gunner what ammo to use on the desired enemy target and "On the way" is shouted by the gunner before they fire. What gets used in Russian tanks?

It just so happens that I already answered this question before! http://ftr.wot-news.com/2013/10/29/ensigns-qa-17/

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Keldoclock posted:

Oh sure, they're edible. But so is burnt canned ravioli ;) Really, that's about the standard I'd put the good (read: british american french. Bafflingly, NOT the IDF. They are still running with 1970s style combat rations, but they have halva. I'd take a 100% halva ration and eat it for weeks) combat rations, about as good as canned food. Certainly it beats iron rations, but it isn't going to be better than rehydrating meals I have myself prepared at home and packing in fresh food as far as feasible.

Why not eat something that is actually delicious, right? Why put up with mediocrity? That's been my attitude, anyways. I've just seen youtube videos and stuff of people sampling various combat rations like faux-gormets and I can only react with :psyduck:

The MCW/LRP is basically as good as it's going to get for military rations, and I wouldn't expect anything better from the militaries of the future, but as an individual, on short operations I'd rather have fresh food and on long operations I'd rather just have an assortment of ingredients(ready-to-eat or otherwise, with shelf lives based on how long the operation will be) I can mix and match to my tastes- The main problem with the MREs as they are is that soldiers don't eat the whole ration, and freely trade or throw away the parts they don't want ;) And that's of course, assuming it is impossible to just buy stuff from the locals or roast up the wildlife :chef:

I'm just saying dude I would absolutely take some of the good MREs on a backpacking trip rather than subsist on jerky, trail mix and canned ravioli, if for no other reason than variety.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Keldoclock posted:

1) If we're talking why would somebody eat that? Curiosity is a thing. It's the same reason people try weird foods abroad. Experiencing things, even some negative things, can be informative.

2) If you mean why are soldiers given that to eat instead of, as you mentioned, preparing their own food? The obvious problems of handing off food supply to all your soldiers in a long campaign with ???? chance of getting food. Maybe it's not palatable, but you won't die. Also discussing getting grunts to eat it and the methods involved is really cool.

3) Is no one gonna comment on how he called Afghanis 'hadjis'? Like, I don't care for the dog-piling on Keldoclock (despite him being an idiot and everything wrong with teenagers), but like, seriously. Hadjis?? Is he gonna talk about wogs and octoroons next?

(I am assuming he did not mean to specifically honor that the folk in the video have been to Mecca. That would require some very specific knowledge.)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

3) Is no one gonna comment on how he called Afghanis 'hadjis'? Like, I don't care for the dog-piling on Keldoclock (despite him being an idiot and everything wrong with teenagers), but like, seriously. Hadjis?? Is he gonna talk about wogs and octoroons next?

I reported to mods, nothing has come of it yet. But yeah, it's exactly the kind of wannabe edgy poo poo I'd expect out of him so I didn't bother bringing it up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

2) If you mean why are soldiers given that to eat instead of, as you mentioned, preparing their own food? The obvious problems of handing off food supply to all your soldiers in a long campaign with ???? chance of getting food. Maybe it's not palatable, but you won't die. Also discussing getting grunts to eat it and the methods involved is really cool.

The thread I made here on military food actually covers this in my long post on the history of military nutrition. It wasn't until very recently that most soldiers weren't expected to cook their own meals. Americans got into it first by having the industrial and logistics capability to mass produce standardized ready-to-eat canned rations and make field kitchens extremely common, but even that only happened in the early 20th century. Beforehand, everyone was just assigned specific amounts of certain foodstuffs (with substitutes to account for shortages) and had to assemble their meals themselves. It was even more haphazard before the mid-19th century; doing research on Ancient Roman soldier meals, they were guaranteed about 1.8 pounds of raw grain per soldier per day...and that's it. They got plenty of other food, but it was essentially a random hodgepodge of meat, cheese, bread, fruit, and vegetables. The soldiers had to even grind their own grain to make into bread or porridge and did all of their cooking themselves.

The obvious downside (apart from, you know, all the extra work by each individual soldier) is that everyone ends up having to carry their own cooking tools. The average Roman soldier carried about 30 kilograms of equipment, easily on par with many modern soldiers, and their mule trains carried even more crap.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Database error caused a double post.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

chitoryu12 posted:

a random hodgepodge of meat, cheese, bread, fruit, and vegetables.
My point is that this may in many cases be superior to other, more modern rations. Not in combat, certainly, but there are many, many other situations in which canned or retort-packed rations are used, where a field kitchen truly would be more suitable, and there's no reason for you to not take your morale into your own hands.

chitoryu12 posted:

The obvious downside (apart from, you know, all the extra work by each individual soldier) is that everyone ends up having to carry their own cooking tools. The average Roman soldier carried about 30 kilograms of equipment, easily on par with many modern soldiers, and their mule trains carried even more crap.
That's certainly true! Fortunately these are readily improvised or minimized (for example, check out that homemade oven in the video I linked earlier!)

My own apparatus (permitting frying, boiling, grilling, baking and steaming, and including an ethanol stove) weighs 70 grams without fuel (although now that I think about it, that figure doesn't include the weight of the plastic fuel bottle either, but it's just a few grams more). That's just the weight of six or seven 5.56 cartridges.

Frostwerks posted:

I'm just saying dude I would absolutely take some of the good MREs on a backpacking trip rather than subsist on jerky, trail mix and canned ravioli, if for no other reason than variety.

Why would anyone (except the friend in my anecodote, which is true and still baffles me to this day [he explained himself by saying he was too lazy to plan, but since he was apparently not too lazy to hump several pounds of canned good around the woods, I still don't understand his logic. Guy's otherwise a pretty intelligent fellow v :) v]) do that(subsist on either MREs or jerky, trail mix and canned ravioli)? That's my whole point. As an individual person not beholden to the tyranny of scaled efficiency, you can go for other, more interesting kinds of efficiency. You might as well just eat Mountain House Pro-Paks, if MREs are adequate- they taste about the same but the Pro-Paks will weigh less.

1.You're right, I figured everyone's already been well exposed to MREs or MRE-like rations and has a good idea of what they're like. Be it from Boy Scouts, prior military service, paramilitary work, emergency response, being involved in a natural disaster, I just kind of assumed most worldly people have at some point been in the middle of loving nowhere, living out of their backpack for a few days.

2. If you've read my posts I do agree that this is a good choice for a general who must supply an army- I'm just suggesting that as an individual soldier you might find better options elsewhere, through various combinations of skullduggery and obstinacy, in keeping with the fine traditions of the past ;)

3.Yes, it's an ironic, tounge-in-cheek ethnic slur. Come on, we all have to have a sense of humor, if we don't offend people with every tool we have in the toolbox, how can we ever be amused by their witty replies? IMO, using that slur insults both various groups of Eurasian peoples, and the racist, ignorant people who coined it(i.e. its not a particular group unified along any lines except perhaps appearance, superficial cultural elements or a very loose interpretation of geography), which is hilarious. I really figured SomethingAwful would be the last place to sacrifice the crude humor of the many to prevent the butthurt of the few (and I don't mean that in the sense of picking on any particular group, I just mean whichever group is being picked on at a given moment, with the full expectation that the proverbial guns will be turned right around onto their previous wielder immediately). In another thread on this very subforum there is a "lol Irish potatoes and alcoholism" post.There's an entire subforum dedicated to this kind of humor.

My point is, military rations are a one-size-fits all solution and it may happen that your goals make exceptional demands. This however, is more of a discussion of military "cuisine" than of military history, so I'll cross-post yet again, and if you'd like to keep your long comments in the other thread and your short comments in this one, I would be happy. I certainly don't expect you to do it, but if you decide to do it anyway, thank you.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Oh my God keldoclock just stop posting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Keldoclock posted:

My point is that this may in many cases be superior to other, more modern rations. Not in combat, certainly, but there are many, many other situations in which canned or retort-packed rations are used, where a field kitchen truly would be more suitable, and there's no reason for you to not take your morale into your own hands.

Are you of the opinion that modern militaries don't set up field kitchens and serve freshly-prepared meals? Because they most certainly do. Rations are for situations where they are needed, not "the only thing our soldiers will ever eat."

quote:

3.Yes, it's an ironic, tounge-in-cheek ethnic slur.

Then shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you of the opinion that modern militaries don't set up field kitchens and serve freshly-prepared meals? Because they most certainly do. Rations are for situations where they are needed, not "the only thing our soldiers will ever eat."

Of course (perhaps you missed the post where I linked a video of some fellas cooking up some excellent flatbread), but reports from various COIN operations in this early part of the 21st century show that it's rather often that folks will be eating nothing but MRE's. I can't help but be reminded of a scene from Restrepo where the troops, who didn't have refrigeration (no electricity), would feast on lobster and steak on the first few days after a supply drop, and be stuck with Pop-Tarts and the like by the time the next resupply happened.

If you are deployed, or training in the field, you will probably be eating combat rations for days at a time at some point during the process. gently caress that!

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread