Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

pathetic little tramp posted:

"Suspect is surrendering, throwing his guns out the window where of course they are firing rounds as they impact on the ground." This guy is a genius.

This is unreal. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Boon posted:

I get that, but what I'm saying is that this is all known. The conversation can't end at "we need populist candidates" without also acknowledging that there is no currently viable way for that to successfully occur. The conversation has to focus on:
a) is that the right answer?
b) how does that become viable.

A) We need candidates who are willing to try to enact economic policies that appeal to people who don't own a McMansion. We only NEED a populist candidate if it is impossible for mainstream ones to do that because they are bought and sold with truckloads of PAC money.

B) If the above is true it becomes viable when enough people are miserable that they care more about the platform of the hypothetical demagogue than social wedge issues their opponents are fighting over.

There is no way to forecast when these things happen and typically in American history when the political landscape gets that hairy one or both of the parties will throw folks a bone and adopt a little piece of the platform to calm everyone down.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Oh rad, my friend's sheltered in place so she doesn't get gunned down by this retard, thanks America

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know why you think the GOP will die with old people. Meet the littlest xenophobe.

Eh, when I was a kid I thought Ross Perot was the bee's knees. Kids are dumb.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Maarek posted:

A) We need candidates who are willing to try to enact economic policies that appeal to people who don't own a McMansion. We only NEED a populist candidate if it is impossible for mainstream ones to do that because they are bought and sold with truckloads of PAC money.

B) If the above is true it becomes viable when enough people are miserable that they care more about the platform of the hypothetical demagogue than social wedge issues their opponents are fighting over.

There is no way to forecast when these things happen and typically in American history when the political landscape gets that hairy one or both of the parties will throw folks a bone and adopt a little piece of the platform to calm everyone down.

The reason this keeps failing is because conservatives, and even some liberals, won't vote for those policies because they'd rather refuse any kind of help if poor minorities will get the same help.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
At a Q&A in New Hampshire today, Rubio was asked, "Who would you like to have a beer with who is not a politician?” His answer?

Malala Yousafzai, Nobel Peace Prize winner, and noted Muslim teenager :lol:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

A) We need candidates who are willing to try to enact economic policies that appeal to people who don't own a McMansion.

Of course, all three of the Democratic nominees for president meet this criteria....

In so much as there are many many poor people, who find their economic policies appealing and...in their own self-interest too!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

MariusLecter posted:

This is unreal. :laffo:

The news feed has a picture of a speed limit sign that has a sticker or some other defacement on it... it is really cracking me up.
That is their picture while they talk in the background.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
My Cool Uncle Rubio is totally gonna buy us beer for the party!

An attempt to connect with under-21 voters?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Mr Jaunts posted:

At a Q&A in New Hampshire today, Rubio was asked, "Who would you like to have a beer with who is not a politician?” His answer?

No Rubio, that's an answer for the general not the primary! Marco? MARCOOOOOOO!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHoS_C5Quc

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Konservative Kids konvert all the time once they become teenagers and get sick of their parents poo poo. Like the kid who spoke at C-Pac and had a Republican book deal became a moderate Obama supporter basically the second he could grow a mustache.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Right now in Europe there are tons of political parties that run on a platform of expanding the welfare state, kicking out immigrants, all while being very socially conservative. They are gaining popularity in places as disparate as Scandanavia and the Balkans. One just won an election in Poland and will be taking power there. That was essentially the role of the Democratic party in our not-too-distant past.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Jaunts posted:

its dumb on a few levels, but at least his heart maybe in the right place. she is an actual hero and admirable person. but at least he is sorta of trying and i assume those mistakes were not intentional.

Monkey Fracas posted:

My Cool Uncle Rubio is totally gonna buy us beer for the party!

An attempt to connect with under-21 voters?

probably that and Muslim outreach. so far rubio has been the only one to try any outreach to non wasps.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

Right now in Europe there are tons of political parties that run on a platform of expanding the welfare state, kicking out immigrants, all while being very socially conservative. They are gaining popularity in places as disparate as Scandanavia and the Balkans. One just won an election in Poland and will be taking power there. That was essentially the role of the Democratic party in our not-to-distant past.

Then the Democrats made a deal with the black devil, which allowed Republicans to wedge conservatives away from the party and cement the "Democrats == Liberals, Republicans == Conservatives" that hadn't existed in the past.

So now you have a majoritarian Democratic party that's the center and leftward and a Republican party that is in an ideological purity phase occupying center-right and rightward.

Either the Republican moderates regain control (heh), the Republicans use every trick in the book to defeat democracy, or the Democratic party becomes a majority again, eventually splintering as the left demands ideological purity and the cycle begins anew.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its dumb on a few levels, but at least his heart maybe in the right place. she is an actual hero and admirable person. but at least he is sorta of trying and i assume those mistakes were not intentional.

Oh no doubt, the sentiment is good, it's just a boneheaded answer that he clearly didn't think through.

In other news, Jeb! spoke with some middle schoolers today, how did that go?

quote:

Another boy asked whether Bush would govern similarly to his brother, President George W. Bush.

“You got brothers? You got sisters? Are you the same as them?” he asked back.

“No.”

“I rest my case!” he said with a smile and a shrug.

:stare: Jeb! can't even keep his cool around actual children, no wonder he's floundering

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 4, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Jaunts posted:

Oh no doubt, the sentiment is good, it's just a boneheaded answer that he clearly didn't think through.

In other news, Jeb! spoke with some middle schoolers today, how did that go?

I just buy all the same brands of clothes, eat at all the same places, date all the same girls and pray to the same God.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
So Jeb! is saying he wouldn't keep us safe? :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

eviltastic posted:

So Jeb! is saying he wouldn't keep us safe? :ohdear:

9/11 would be the only day free of terrorist attacks.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Jaunts posted:

Rubio really is Jeb!'s protege, this is an amazing answer holy poo poo

Who would you like to have a beer with? AN UNDERAGE MUSLIM GIRL, PLEASE

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
In North Carolina, every county is required to have at least one in-person Early Voting location which is open for 12 whole days before Election Day. You don't have to provide a reason or anything. It's loving awesome and there is absolutely no reason not to make this standard unless you don't want people to vote.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

RuanGacho posted:

I just buy all the same brands of clothes, eat at all the same places, date all the same girls and pray to the same God.
Came out of the same vagina also.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

quote:

Bush started the event with his standard talking points from the trail, but it became clear pretty early that his wonkier lines might be over his audience’s head. After he answered a boy’s question about border security with a detailed prescription of surveillance drones, GPS technology, and an improved entry-exit visa system a girl stood up to ask a follow up.

“What’s a border?” she said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONYJGGPBkgs

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am having such a wonderful time watching Jeb!'s campaign slowly implode.

Simply wonderful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slowly?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

showbiz_liz posted:

In North Carolina, every county is required to have at least one in-person Early Voting location which is open for 12 whole days before Election Day. You don't have to provide a reason or anything. It's loving awesome and there is absolutely no reason not to make this standard unless you don't want people to vote.

Luckily, you can just stick the one location in an Ag extension, far away from buses and with limited parking!

quote:

First they were supposed to vote early -- in a nightclub. Then students, employees, and faculty at North Carolina's Appalachian State University were supposed to vote early a mile from the farthest edge of campus, in a county building that had little parking. Then, after students filed a lawsuit, a state judge intervened, saying that the county board of election's decision to end early voting in the on-campus student union -- after eight years of allowing it -- could have no purpose but to disenfranchise students and was unconstitutional. That decision, however, was not the final word. It was put on hold by an appeals court, and then the North Carolina Supreme Court agreed to hear the case.

By that time, the Watauga County Board of Elections had decided to restore on-campus early voting -- a practice it had eliminated by a partisan vote pushed by the board's Republican majority. Appalachian State is the largest employer in Watauga County, and its students make up roughly 40 percent of the county's population, but their preference for Democratic candidates does not jibe with the rest of the county's Republican tilt. In 2012, about 35 percent of the county's early votes were cast at the Appalachian State student union.

But after all the chaos, it turns out that Appalachian State students are the lucky ones: They are some of the only students in North Carolina who will be able to vote early on campus this year. Early voting sites have been eliminated on college campuses across North Carolina and the South, part of a broader effort by local elections officials and state lawmakers to erect new barriers to voting. The new policies, which run the gamut from shortened early voting periods to strict voter ID requirements, disproportionately affect young voters -- and especially youth of color.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2014/10/blocking-the-youth-vote-in-the-south.html

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
That Jeb thing honestly doesn't sound all that off to me in isolation. Judging by the article, it sounds like he did an okay job of engaging with a bunch of kids relaying whatever ideas they'd gotten from their parents. The hilarious part is that it shows his camp still has no idea how to distance him from all the baggage of his brother. Even a kid is going to know that that was a cute non-answer.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Slowly?

In that it was something I saw as doomed from the start and continues to be worse every day.

A slow death march accompanied by a droning funeral dirge towards failure.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

After McCain in 2008 I guess it's dangerous to count someone out so early but can you possible imagine a human being saying to you "I am very excited about Jeb Bush!" without dripping with sarcasm?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Luckily, you can just stick the one location in an Ag extension, far away from buses and with limited parking!

Ugh, fuckers.

When I went to UNC the early voting station was right off the main campus quad, and WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT, the whole county went for Obama in 2008 by literally 72%.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Kraft Heinz is firing 2500 workers in North America and moving their meat product (Oscar Mayer) HQ to Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-kraft-heinz-oscar-mayer-hq-1105-biz-20151104-story.html

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This will forever be the greatest interaction between children and a Presidential Candidate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/09/22/ted-cruz-told-a-3-year-old-her-world-is-on-fire-her-mom-joined-his-campaign/

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Maarek posted:

After McCain in 2008 I guess it's dangerous to count someone out so early but can you possible imagine a human being saying to you "I am very excited about Jeb Bush!" without dripping with sarcasm?

Today's GOP is completely different now that the animals run the zoo. I have my doubts the establishment can reign in a candidate that's not crazy or bag of wet newspaper.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Kraft Heinz is firing 2500 workers in North America and moving their meat product (Oscar Mayer) HQ to Chicago.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-kraft-heinz-oscar-mayer-hq-1105-biz-20151104-story.html

From wisconsin to Illinois, no less. Good thing Walker dropped out when he did (not that doing so will help him any).

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

theblackw0lf posted:

This makes a compelling, and highly depressing case that we're in a feedback loop where increased income inequality leads to further republican rule locally and nationally, which leads to more income inequality, which leads to more Republican rule, etc...

This is why it's in the Democratic party's own interest to address income inequality. But even if they do all they can to push for addressing inequality, I'm not sure what, if anything, they can actually do to stop the feedback loop as the income inequality disparity is what leads to making it more likely Republican candidates win. The article does mention mobilizing poorer communities, but even if the will was there, it's questionable whether the party could create the infrastructure necessary to do so, what with weakening union power, disenfranchisement, and weaker social networks among the lower class.

http://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2015/11/4/9665842/republican-inequality-future-loop

Oh hey that Petr guy sure is dumb for being worried.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is amazing

quote:

Cruz, speaking in Barrington, N.H., said President Obama and former secretary of state Hillary Clinton's foreign policy had set the world on fire.

"The world is on fire?" then-3-year-old Julia Trant immediately asked.

"Yes, the world is on fire," Cruz said, looking at the girl. "Your world is on fire."

"She wasn't even alarmed. It was the fact that she loves the fire pit, roasting marshmallows," [The girl's mother] said of her daughter and the fire comment.

Some children just want to watch the world burn, and I guess roast some marshmallows while it happens.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Petr posted:

This like saying water is wet because it's clear.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hey as long as we're having a little bit of San Diego in the national news, the deaf guy who ran down a bunch of zombie walkers at comic-con last year has been found guilty. Awww.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Petr posted:

Do you really want to be the next :derp:?

No one ever saved the world out of panic, fear maybe with the bay of pigs, but never panic.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I don't know if it was itt or in dadchat that i mentioned it, but here's the piece about the Democrats forming plans to reassert themselves at the state and national level: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...thing-about-it/

And other one that tell you to calm the gently caress down: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2015/11/04/how-badly-has-the-obama-era-damaged-the-democratic-party/

The Brownstein article he links to is also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know why you think the GOP will die with old people. Meet the littlest xenophobe.

Jesus, this is the saddest loving thing I've read all day. That poor kid.

• Locked thread