Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Finally I can run some random executable on my computer instead of a reading a list. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Requirements are always this worst case thing where if you could run 95% of the game on a toaster but there is one 5 second area with a bunch of water effects they have to list the requirements for the game as the requirements for that one water area.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout plots:

Fallout 1: FIND CHIP
Fallout 2: FIND GECK
Fallout 3: FIND DAD
Fallout New Vegas: FIND CHIP
Fallout 4: FIND SON

Actually you can finish New Vegas without ever finding the platinum chip or even meeting Benny again if you take the NCR path :colbert:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

People keep on saying that like it means something. It's a video game in a industry where the best writing from Obsidian or Bioware is on par with Harry Potter. The convoluted mess that are Kojima games have zero literary basis and Final Fantasy games are merely a collection of phonetic sounds that approximate human speech. You can complain about the presentation but Fallout 3 actually contains themes and structure that can be analyzed and compared to real literature.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

HnK416 posted:

I asked this something like 30-40 pages back, but could anyone with proper computer knowledge and poo poo tell me if I'd be able to run the game on my PC?

Intel Core i7-4720HQ quad-core, 2.6ghz
NVIDA GeForce GTX950M, 4GB of dedicated VRAM
8GB DDR3

If I can keep it console quality and 60fps I'd be happy, but I'd rather know if I can play the thing before buying and then refunding it.

Everything will be fine. I'm sorry to tell you this though, the shadows didn't make it. We did everything we could, but we couldn't render them. I'm so sorry

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Borsche69 posted:

People keep on saying that like it means something. It's a video game in a industry where the best writing from Obsidian or Bioware is on par with Harry Potter. The convoluted mess that are Kojima games have zero literary basis and Final Fantasy games are merely a collection of phonetic sounds that approximate human speech. You can complain about the presentation but Fallout 3 actually contains themes and structure that can be analyzed and compared to real literature.

Cite ur quotes plz

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Borsche69 posted:

Fallout games and elder scrolls games generally are a loose and lame story that is just an excuse to glue together a bunch of self contained episodes where some of the episodes are written really bad and some of the episodes are written really well. But when people talk about the story they talk about the 'main' story as the real thing and the side quests as a side thing where most people play the game with the side quests being the main thing and the main quest being the side thing.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Borsche69 posted:

you heard it here first folks, fallout games are comparable to real literature

lol

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Zombie Boat posted:

Everything will be fine. I'm sorry to tell you this though, the shadows didn't make it. We did everything we could, but we couldn't render them. I'm so sorry
ma'am your shadows died a hero and a grateful nation mourns your loss

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Actually you can finish New Vegas without ever finding the platinum chip or even meeting Benny again if you take the NCR path :colbert:

Also, in Fallout 1 you don't actually have to find the water chip.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

“To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.” - Fallout 3

Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
Gary Gary Gary Gary Gary
- William Shakespeare - Macbeth

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fallout games and elder scrolls games generally are a loose and lame story that is just an excuse to glue together a bunch of self contained episodes where some of the episodes are written really bad and some of the episodes are written really well. But when people talk about the story they talk about the 'main' story as the real thing and the side quests as a side thing where most people play the game with the side quests being the main thing and the main quest being the side thing.

yeah man, loose and lame stories are just part of the gig and expecting any improvement is a fairly toxic stance to take.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wolfsheim posted:

Not to mention that once you find the chip you still have like 15-20 hours of gameplay left, unless you take the Yes Man route and have already contacted all the factions and tribes, then you can basically just go straight to the final Dam fight.

Chip's not the end though, any way you choose.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

This thread is an Infinite Salt Engine

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
im really into these games just for the experience, you dig? i'm not here for a coherent plot or consistent lore/setting. i just want to run around and be a part of the world! oops my power armor ran out of batteries, why couldn't we get those suits from everywhere else in the country that run off infinite fusion reactors.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Those of you bitching about map size, someone on Reddit actually made a good point - the overworld map isn't the only playable area. There's going to be hundreds of locations to enter and explore on top of all that. I'd rather have a smallish overworld and a ton of awesome nooks and crannies to dig into than a giant swathe of nothing between places.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A Curvy Goonette posted:

im really into these games just for the experience, you dig? i'm not here for a coherent plot or consistent lore/setting. i just want to run around and be a part of the world! oops my power armor ran out of batteries, why couldn't we get those suits from everywhere else in the country that run off infinite fusion reactors.

Because the last protagonist repaired them all into each other.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't think a larger playable area has ever meant a better game to play.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

A Curvy Goonette posted:

*ahem* Proper fusion hadn't been developed soon enough to proliferate much before the Great War, and the cores in Power Armor typically only lasted about 100 years, give or take, anyway.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Same reason laser and plasma weapons look different, why bottlecaps disappear in Fallout 2 then re-appear in 3 and New Vegas, why Power Fists require ammo in the first 2 but not in 3 and New Vegas, why nobody mentions Fallout Tactics...

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

Everybody poops?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
True literature. With such amazing dialogue such as "Gary? GAAARY" And "Fisto the fisting robot"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The rhythm I tend to settle into when playing a Fallout game tends to be tenetively pursuing the first couple beats of the main quest and then fanning out to freeform exploration when I find a good stopping point like "The bad guy is stopped for now, return to us after we've had time to plan our next move". All Bethesda games have them, which drives home how they really are built around the expectation that the player will drop the main quest to pursue other things from time to time. I think most Bethesda main quests play like poo poo because we play them non-stop from start to finish, when in reality they're meant to be more like bookends to your larger adventure.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A Curvy Goonette posted:

yeah man, loose and lame stories are just part of the gig and expecting any improvement is a fairly toxic stance to take.

It mostly is though, they are big wander around open world games and you aren't supposed to care the most about the central story, you are supposed to engage the most with the side stuff. You are never going to care the most about whatever is happening in the "main" story. If they hired the best writers they would just have them write the side stuff and the main thread would still be the weakest plot.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lmao at people confusing plot with story.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
lmao at people playing Fallout 3+ and expecting either of those.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Deified Data posted:

The rhythm I tend to settle into when playing a Fallout game tends to be tenetively pursuing the first couple beats of the main quest and then fanning out to freeform exploration when I find a good stopping point like "The bad guy is stopped for now, return to us after we've had time to plan our next move". All Bethesda games have them, which drives home how they really are built around the expectation that the player will drop the main quest to pursue other things from time to time. I think most Bethesda main quests play like poo poo because we play them non-stop from start to finish, when in reality they're meant to be more like bookends to your larger adventure.

Yeah, they exist to set up why you are walking around the area solving everyone's problems and then at the end they are to play the end credits and have a last boss. The real game is all the various stand alone episodes and that is how virtually everyone plays them.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I think most Bethesda main quests play like poo poo because we play them non-stop from start to finish, when in reality they're meant to be more like bookends to your larger adventure.

I don't do that, because it's wrong. Have you never played a bethesda rpg before?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

A Curvy Goonette posted:

You aren't wrong but you kind of aren't right either. I don't play fallout games or open world games in general for the plot and I am not going to hold a bad to mediocre plot against them just like I wouldn't hold it against devil may cry or contra or super mario or whatever. It would be nice if this weren't the case of course, just like it would be nice if the plot in those other games were decent, but it isn't going to elicit any stronger feeling than, "oh well!"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

are you guys gonna help him out?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

frajaq posted:

HATE HUMANS

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Don't most Bethesda main plots need a little advancement to start triggering some new enemy types? Like how in FO3 you would start encountering enclave if you did the main plot for a bit, oblivion gates in oblivion, dragons in skyrim, maybe it'll be synths in FO IV?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

frajaq posted:

I'm gonna help him feed the ferals...by giving them the remains of his dismembered corpse.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
think of the fallout plot as the pilgrims in the Canterbury tale. It's also a story but you aren't supposed to care about it as much as the side stories.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

frajaq posted:

Probably not, BoS licensed apparel makes my trigger finger very very itchy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Don't trust a bald.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
HATE BALDS

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
All I care about is that I can do in this game what I do in other Bethesda open world games. Edit my carry capacity to be unlimited, steal everything and leave piles of almost naked bodies everywhere.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
X) UnBald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Don't most Bethesda main plots need a little advancement to start triggering some new enemy types? Like how in FO3 you would start encountering enclave if you did the main plot for a bit, oblivion gates in oblivion, dragons in skyrim, maybe it'll be synths in FO IV?

and of course the most important mod for a skyrim replay is an alternate start mod that totally gets rid of the random dragons killing your horse every time you leave town

• Locked thread