Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“I was a hybrid once. Myself and a lady called Charley…”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They better tone back the Clara Super Spy crap becuase that's what lost me with Martha.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Where are we, Doctor?"

"Ireland. Kildare. 470 AD. We're here to see an old friend of mine, St. Bridget."

"There she is!"

"Ah, so she is. Hi, Brid!"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
It'd be nice to have some way of crossing this deep canyon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Flea Wars posted:

It'd be nice to have some way of crossing this deep canyon.

Like some kind of high bridge?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet the cliffhanger on the penultimate episode (which Moffat says he's very proud of) will be the Doctor having to face off against his greatest enemies in a battle of the bands, but he has nobody to back him up, when Linkin Park suddenly appear and announce, "It's time for a Hybrid Theory, Doctor!"

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The hybrid is going to be The Doctor himself, since as we all know, he's half human on his mother's side.

:v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if CGI Snake will have something to do with it?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Silhouette posted:

The hybrid is going to be The Doctor himself, since as we all know, he's half human on his mother's side.

I half exxpect it to be something to do with this, because continuity wank seems to be very much in vogue right now

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like... high breed. :v:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

PriorMarcus posted:

Like some kind of high bridge?
TO BE CONTINUED

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

It really hasn't.

Across her tenure, Clara has been many different kinds of characters.

Season 7 she was literally whatever and did much of nothing and would some times wildly veer off course IN THE SAME EPISODE.

Season 8 she DID get a defined character arc of becoming an absolutely awful, lovely, self centered person who took the absolute worst lessons from the Doctor and applied them vicariously to herself as hard as she could.

And now season 9 she's...taken several steps back from that except when she doesn't.

Unless they explain what's up with her by the end, then yes, Doctor What, she has been inconsistent as gently caress.

You can argue about the meaning behind whatever bullshit you like but bad writing is bad writing.

Also, saying "EVERY CHARACTER IS SPECIAL" is entirely wrong and I am so surprised no one called you on that bullshit.

Rose was special because of a one off God Hood moment that didn't actually make her special at all and impacted nothing about her time with the Doctor before or after except in that one moment. She briefly became The Bad Wolf and then wasn't and it didn't matter. Outside that, she had a thing for him.

Martha wasn't special at all and in fact was Not Rose.

Jack's not special beyond the fact that he's immortal- which is the point where he left the Doctor.

Donna's *SUPER* not special until she becomes the Time Lord Human Hybrid and at that point she has to leave the Doctor.

Amy was special because she got exposed to a giant gently caress off crack in her wall that edged into eternity and the Doctor further hosed her life up super good. After that? Nothing special about her.

Rory was never special outside of his ability to keep dying and keep coming back.

Clara?

Clara has been special in different ways across her ENTIRE CAREER AS A COMPANION. First she was a Good Human Dalek Hybrid, then she was the one person who brought the Doctor down from the clouds, then she was whatever the gently caress she was for the rest of season 7 until she literally went back in time and saved him across ALL OF HIS ITERATIONS- and that was the end of the Impossible Girl. So that means her doing insane, Doctor Important things are over right?

Nope! Because we still have Listen where she goes back into the Doctor's time line AGAIN to do whatever the gently caress she did. And the repeated "I Am The Doctor (standin)" moments with her, and at some point she stopped being a regular person even in the present Goddamn day and became the Go To Person for a super organization that exists above and beyond all governments to solve difficult problems when the Doctor is not around, when she's not too busy teaching her class of students who she'd rather see burn then see sad.

Martha, Rose, both of them went on to be bigger things when they stopped being the Doctor's Companions- Rose became the head of her Torchwood or whatever she was, Martha became a super UNIT soldier who fought Sontarans for fun also where is Martha in all of this you'd think one of the ONLY UNIT soldiers we know of would stick her head in and call the Doctor a twat for how he's been acting recently, but both only did so AFTER they were done being companions.

Clara, as always, has her cake and gets to eat it too and then has extra ice cream to top it off because of how great she is. And after the stunt she pulled at the end of last season, if she doesn't become a villain or leave the Doctor on less than friendly terms, I'll be disappointed- but not surprised.

Oh and then we have literally every Companion before New Who, of whom only Romana could truly be called 'special'. You know. If you want to go down that rabbit hole.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thread favorites Charley Pollard and Evelyn Smythe are both "special" due to their proximity to/involvement in time paradoxes. Ace has her whole life manipulated by the Doctor and Fenric before she meets either of them. Come on, Burkion, you should KNOW better than this.

And there's literally nothing wrong with a companion being "special", especially when most (if not all) of those "special" qualities are just... that companion doing things.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Rory was pretty normal until he became some kind of a robot with a hand gun that never got used after that first time and I guess was still able to make babies.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

you goddamn fool rory was only ever a robot in pandorica opens/big bang. that timeline got wiped, that's why the hand gun never came up again. rory just got auton!rory's memories, not his body.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m going to have to get high. Be rid of this thread though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Thread favorites Charley Pollard and Evelyn Smythe are both "special" due to their proximity to/involvement in time paradoxes. Ace has her whole life manipulated by the Doctor and Fenric before she meets either of them. Come on, Burkion, you should KNOW better than this.

And there's literally nothing wrong with a companion being "special", especially when most (if not all) of those "special" qualities are just... that companion doing things.

Actually I've listened to very few audios and have not seen much of the Seventh Doctor's run, though that sounds really stupid that the Seventh Doctor would have actively hosed with some one's life before or after taking them on as a companion.

If you can't tell what I, and a few others, mean by Clara being 'special' then I'm not really sure what to say. We'll see where this goes with Season 9 and Clara's Last Hurrah, but she has been anything but consistent across her tenure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

maybe she'll turn into a human/timelord... HYBRID!

Get your own nutjob theory >:-[

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I have suspicions about what people mean when they say "special". I'd rather not see those suspicions confirmed, is all.

Series 7b did not serve Clara well. There were hints of her later characterization - her obsession with control, mainly - but the haphazard and rushed implementation of the "Impossible Girl" psuedoplot obscured that. However, I think Clara's been handled excellently from at least Deep Breath on.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Dabir posted:

I'm not creative enough.
speaking of nutjob theories, I thought about the clara is dead theory during the last episode, since when the doctor calls clara early in the episode he specifies that he doesn't know exactly when he is. So the zygon episodes might chronologically be the first of the season and clara gets eaten or something. it makes as much sense as the rest of the theory.

also the writing in the questionmark underpants joke was some explanatory poo poo:

"why don't you wear questionmarks anymore?"
"oh, i still do.... ON MY UNDERPANTS, GET IT?"
"questionmark underpants, my word!"

DoctorWhat posted:

I have suspicions about what people mean when they say "special". I'd rather not see those suspicions confirmed, is all.

i don't think "Clara is Corky" is a popular theory at all

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only change I see in Clara this season is that she's been much less of a focus. Her characterization seems pretty consistent, but her role has been noticeably downplayed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Series 7b did not serve Clara well. There were hints of her later characterization - her obsession with control, mainly - but the haphazard and rushed implementation of the "Impossible Girl" psuedoplot obscured that. However, I think Clara's been handled excellently from at least Deep Breath on.

Man I have suspicions about half the poo poo you say but I don't try to pull a verbal equivalent of glaring over my glasses about it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Burkion posted:

Donna's *SUPER* not special until she becomes the Time Lord Human Hybrid and at that point she has to leave the Doctor.

:tinfoil:

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

HD DAD posted:

The only change I see in Clara this season is that she's been much less of a focus. Her characterization seems pretty consistent, but her role has been noticeably downplayed.

Really? I feel like it has been the opposite, like this season is the Clara Show featuring The Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

That's what I'm talking about :

:v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
ugh, I just knew this was going to suuuuck, from when I first read the titles of the episodes. "Invasion of the Zygons" sounded so cheesy. But I thought it'd be uncomfortably RTD-like, and it's somehow worse than that. I liked Kill the Moon, but I can't countenance this poo poo. It's not the idea of it that's bad, it's the fumbled execution. We needed a sympathetic Zygon character, and other than maaaaybe Osgood, we didn't get one. So it's all too easy to read the episode as Islamophobic.

Plus, I dunno how UNIT was in old times, not having seen any old Doctor Who, but in the modern era they're startlingly incompetent. I think it's lazy writing to have them be so utterly lovely at their jobs. The entire episode hinges on everyone, but especially UNIT members, being complete morons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This other problem with having Clara be this important and special to the Doctor's history is escalation. If she is the one who gave the boy Doctor the pep talk that made him stop being scared and become a Time Lord, then what do they do with the next companion? They're actually Omega?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Everybody I know personally thought this episode was alright. :shrug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
plural of anecdote does not equal data, large numbers of people that i love and trust love movies that i personally would be too cynical to stand.

I personally think this episode, even watching with a lack of critical thinking or outside perspective and just hoping for a fun ride, was terribly boring and frustrating to watch. I mean, I've largely been positive on this season just because the Doctor is being a big ol' goofy dork again, that's what the doctor should be and if they were going for a more serious doctor last season they failed. They just made him into a loving rear end in a top hat who was completely unpleasant to watch. But yeah, I don't think all the sonic sunglasses or quipping in the world could've saved this shitheap.

Also whenever I think of "hybrid" I think of "elements of the past and future, combining to make something not quite as good as either". Not looking forward to the season finale if "hybrid" is this season's meme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Come to think of it, now that people are bringing up Martha, it sort of underlines why the writers feel like they need to be really definitive when they write companions out of the new series.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Ace has her whole life manipulated by the Doctor and Fenric before she meets either of them.

I vaguely remember watching the McCoy doctor way back when (late 80's)? out of PBS San Diego, or Denver off of C-Bang big-dish satellite, and I never understood any of the shows except it seemed the Dr. always had some secret plan doing on and it was related to Ace.

I liked most of them, but after each show, I was like, WTF? I don't really understand what happened or why or what it meant.

I never caught on to "Ace has her whole life manipulated by the Doctor and Fenric" at all.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Acne Rain posted:

plural of anecdote does not equal data, large numbers of people that i love and trust love movies that i personally would be too cynical to stand.

This thread is just as much of a plurality of anecdotes though. Reviews have been generally positive and the reception by the average person talking on social media seems about the same.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

River was a hybrid too, right? Because she was conceived in the TARDIS or something. I repressed a lot of that stuff from season 6.

Basically if the payoff for the HYBRID?! stuff isn't River and Donna suddenly showing up to save the Doctor's rear end/tell him off then I am going to end up bitterly disappointed about the whole thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Interestingly the Big Finish UNIT Extinction boxset comes out on Monday. I'd hazard a guess they were waiting for this story to get out of the way before the release..?

Takes place before "The Day of the Doctor", so this story's not bound to have that much of impact.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cargohills posted:

Shouting into the void, my friend. :smith::hf::smith:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Cerv posted:

Faint praise
You're right, it really is.

Rhyno posted:

The Two Doctors heard you and Colin is PISSED.
Troughton is my favorite but I can never get through The Two Doctors. I can't put my finger on why. I like how it gave season 6b some cred with an older 2 and Jamie, but that's about it.
That's great.

cargohills posted:

I didn't like it that much but I would still put it above the season opener. At least this has little to do with that hybrid nonsense.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 5, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

I’m going to have to get high. Be rid of this thread though.

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chokes McGee posted:

Shouting into the void, my friend. :smith::hf::smith:

It's perfectly fine to like this episode (especially if you articulate why!) and just because some people don't agree with you, doesn't mean you shouldn't feel bad about it. Same goes for the opposite - if a lot of people are raving about an episode and personally you couldn't stand it, say so.... and say why too! People will respond and then we get some nice discussion going :)

Remember the first rule of Doctor Who - none of us are ever going to agree on anything ever, there is no group-think or consensus, just a lot of people expressing their opinions and talking about the pros and cons of any given episode or the season to date or the show as a whole. Sometimes it weights more one way, sometimes it weights more the other, but there are always a huge number of variations even within the "liked it/didn't like it" camps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the episode because Clara might be dead.

• Locked thread