Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Maybe I'm just overthinking things here, but it seems like Neville isn't a very common name in the US and in fact most people would be familiar with it from the fat kid in Harry Potter. Not really a great association for your high-flying dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Shoulda called him Mighty Mouse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lady Naga posted:

Shoulda called him Mighty Mouse.

Demetrious Johnson would kick his rear end.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's better than Mandrews at least.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Neville as a name by itself is terrible. As a surname it's fine, but on its own it comes off as a first name, and Neville as a first name is the English equivalent of Billy Bob. Characters in British fiction called Neville are typically stupid, backwards and ugly. It's not a name that any English person would view as anything other than a punishment. Why he would want to drop Adrian from his name and 'promote' Neville, I have no idea. I suppose America's unfamiliarity with the name may make it more appealing, but it's still a drat stupid name by any stretch.

(If anybody reading this is named Neville, well, sorry. But your parents hate you.)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Plus Adrian Neville was like "oh yeah let's all trust this hitler dude and give him presents, he's great and I love him"' in world war 2.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neville Brown was a pretty tough dude
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neville_Brown

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lady Naga posted:

It's moreso that it's snappier and the other name is superfluous I believe. Did anyone really call him "Adrian Neville" or "Adrian"?

It's just creates this weird inconsistency when you have half the roster trying to Madonna it up like Cesaro and Neville and then the other half having full names like Dean Ambrose and Kofi Kingston.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pressedbunny posted:

Neville as a name by itself is terrible. As a surname it's fine, but on its own it comes off as a first name, and Neville as a first name is the English equivalent of Billy Bob. Characters in British fiction called Neville are typically stupid, backwards and ugly. It's not a name that any English person would view as anything other than a punishment. Why he would want to drop Adrian from his name and 'promote' Neville, I have no idea. I suppose America's unfamiliarity with the name may make it more appealing, but it's still a drat stupid name by any stretch.

(If anybody reading this is named Neville, well, sorry. But your parents hate you.)

Nah even in america we recognize that Neville is basically a British version of Eugene or Sheldon or other nerd names

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cabbit posted:

It's just creates this weird inconsistency when you have half the roster trying to Madonna it up like Cesaro and Neville and then the other half having full names like Dean Ambrose and Kofi Kingston.

Who exactly is crying out for consistency of any sort in their wrestleman naming conventions?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

Is that why Vince has become some kind of ancient chinese Name Stealing Spirit the last few years with Cesaro, Big E and Neville? GOD DAMNIT, BETWEEN THEIR WRESTLING SKILLS AND PHYSIQUES I'LL HAVE TO PUSH THESE MINORITIES... UNLESS THEY ONLY HAVE ONE NAME!

Okay I'm pretty sure Neville and Cesaro do not count as minorities.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

Okay I'm pretty sure Neville and Cesaro do not count as minorities.

I doubt Vince makes that distinction, this is a dude who didn't know people have an Asian fetish until he was told a few years ago

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Big E is still two names.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Referring to a person by their last name is fine, like Cesaro.

Nicknames like Big E is fine. It's even still a two part name so it feels better.

It's weird to have a wrestler with a first name as his only name. I know Neville is technically his surname, but it's generally a first name and its weird and bad.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."

Shima Honnou posted:

Big E is still two names.

Two ain't enough, man, he needs five!

Big E Magic Unicorn Langston

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In America Neville means smooth sexy music that you can gently caress your lady or dude to.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

In America Neville means smooth sexy music that you can gently caress your lady or dude to.

This post owns and is true.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This post owns and is true.

High five Grimey Drawer bro.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

To be fair to Vince, I thought Neville himself requested the name change because everyone kept calling him Aaron Neville.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Go RV! posted:

Referring to a person by their last name is fine, like Cesaro.

Nicknames like Big E is fine. It's even still a two part name so it feels better.

It's weird to have a wrestler with a first name as his only name. I know Neville is technically his surname, but it's generally a first name and its weird and bad.

Looks like someone's forgot about legendary "appeared in 4 episodes of heat" wrestler Just Joe

Really though I would like them to just start debuting characters named Greg or Craig or Todd and just treat it like it's cool

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Petit Gregory posted:

To be fair to Vince, I thought Neville himself requested the name change because everyone kept calling him Aaron Neville.
Yeah, he's said this himself.

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

You look at people like Tyler Breeze, you know he won't work. He'll end up like the Ascension. The vaudevillians will probably end up similar, and I wouldn't doubt if Enzo and Cass end up in a stable with Zack Ryder.
I doubt that for Enzo and Cass. Audiences love a memorized call and response. Just look at the New Age Outlaws. I have absolutely no doubt that SAWFT is going to be huge. You already see signs for it in main roster crowds and those who don't know it will learn it quickly.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

sticklefifer posted:

I doubt that for Enzo and Cass. Audiences love a memorized call and response. Just look at the New Age Outlaws. I have absolutely no doubt that SAWFT is going to be huge. You already see signs for it in main roster crowds and those who don't know it will learn it quickly.

Or they'll just get jobbed into oblivion

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Or they'll just get jobbed into oblivion

That's going to happen regardless of whether they get over or not

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wendy started the Diva's Revolution.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Some companies have great social media presence. The person who runs the Denny's tumblr is amazing. http://imgur.com/user/sionistic/favorites/jKs0n

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get all my scoops from 420wrestle-newz.biz

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lmao @wendys

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

i mean i guess it's not difficult for a fast food chain to pander to wrestling nerds but some of the things they are saying is really obscure. they tweeted the chuckie t chant for gently caress's sake

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kifisonfire posted:

i mean i guess it's not difficult for a fast food chain to pander to wrestling nerds but some of the things they are saying is really obscure. they tweeted the chuckie t chant for gently caress's sake

I'm pretty sure the wendys guy is just a huge wrestling nerd cause he's been posting stuff like that for years

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
every company has a twitter guy now, and they're all worthless except for nature valley anime

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I love when real people respond to fake twitters, especially when that twitter was one set up for the express purpose of posting and retweeting nude pics.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

I love when real people respond to fake twitters, especially when that twitter was one set up for the express purpose of posting and retweeting nude pics.

Cornette probably loves that account cause he thinks it's Seth doing his best to get rats

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It isn't too surprising that the average social media manager has a lot of time to watch WWE, but it is fantastic. I'll never forget all those great tweets between CM Punk and Digornios

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:3:

(https://twitter.com/SamoaJoe/status/662395412699983872)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

*insert photoshop of Joe pointing at a golden corral sign*

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Image edited so you can read top to bottom.

Sheamus owns.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Twitter is the best thing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope Vacant becomes official WWE canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Today on Twitter I learned that Asuka loves Adventure Time, and her favorite character in Super Smash Bros is Duck Hunt. Also she likes Suzuki cars more than Minoru Suzuki.