Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Everytime the Torie backbenchers start hooting you can see Watsons face light up since he knows all they're doing is shooting themselves in the foot. Cameron is clearly getting pissed off that Bercow wont let it interfere with the questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Tesseraction posted:

I have actually been obsessed with the US GOP primary because it is like The Thick of It: USA but with the added benefit of not caring if the characters are 2d.

I honestly see something every day that makes me nearly die of giggles if not outright laughter, and I rarely laugh out loud at things on the computer.

Yeah, I have to dip in and out of UK politics lest I kill myself but the US GOP Primary is a constant good time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kaislioc posted:

I've sort of lost track now. Are all the new surveillance powers a law that can still be shot down by the Lords, a law that still needs to be passed, a law that has already been passed or something that May can do if she pretty much feels like it?
It's a draft bill at present. They started off with the typical "this will allow us to spy on you on the shitter because we're at risk from al jazeera" nonsense, then they threw out a lot of the most objectionable poo poo so that they could claim to be compromising. Now it seems they've thrown out some more, like removing the mathematical ignorance that made up the encryption section.

It's still pretty bad though.

(And on that note, you can add your voice to a more sensible proposal that even manages to add security in some areas while cutting out the theater.)

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Good isn't it. Flightradar is well-known, and there's a similar service for ships:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-0/centery:51/zoom:7

That link should be centred on the, frankly alarming, English Channel.

why is there a boat in Worcester

it's just sitting there

Also good news, the Tory woman in my office has renounced her deep admiration (and lust :gonk:) for George Osborne over tax credits, that takes some doing. So the political fallout has definitely reached the Cotswolds!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Looks like it's moored on the Severn.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Yeah, on its own! Does that site only track large ships?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

mrpwase posted:

why is there a boat in Worcester

it's just sitting there

Also good news, the Tory woman in my office has renounced her deep admiration (and lust :gonk:) for George Osborne over tax credits, that takes some doing. So the political fallout has definitely reached the Cotswolds!

See how lost she feels when he creeps in the window whilst she sleeps to steel her gold fillings. Oh, and reduce her pension.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

I guess it only tracks ships with an AIS transceiver. Ships over a certain size traveling in international waters have to have a particular class transceiver, but smaller vessels can opt for one too. A lot of small boats just opt for the receiver so they can stay out of the way of large ships.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Good isn't it. Flightradar is well-known, and there's a similar service for ships:

This is absolutely fascinating and I don't know why.

Thank you!

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

mrpwase posted:

It tracks everything that is actively using AIS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Identification_System

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jabby posted:

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the media really spun this to make the guy look bad.

He didn't inform the DVLA when he blacked out the first time, which is bad. But he did tell a doctor about it when he was given an employment physical, and that doctor cleared him to drive. Plus even by the strictest DVLA rules if you haven't had any blackouts for a year they will give you your licence back, and it was more than a year later when he had the second blackout. So him telling the DVLA would actually have made zero difference to him being in that bin lorry. I can understand why the relatives are angry, but it really wasn't as much his fault as it was made out to be.

Agreed, and sorry for not replying earlier Pistol Pete. I can understand this guy being frightened of losing his job, not being able to feed his family, pay the mortgage etc. and thinking "it'll never happen" and refusing to see the sensible choice in front of him. It was a bad call, but it's an understandable human call to make it the way he did.

Kaislioc posted:

I've sort of lost track now. Are all the new surveillance powers a law that can still be shot down by the Lords, a law that still needs to be passed, a law that has already been passed or something that May can do if she pretty much feels like it?

Don't worry, with a strong opposition, it'll never pa... oh dear. Sounds like Burnham, and no doubt half the Labour benches, are already cheerleading this poo poo.

Tesseraction posted:

I can stream video at the same quality and speed as on my normal connection. It depends on whether you buy a proper one or get the internet equivalent of a backalley handjob - you get what you pay for and don't be surprised when you find yourself being sucked off by a half-human half-pig mutant*.

Do you know what your maximum sustained speed is for your provider? I'd be interested in paying extra to get one that will provide an un-throttled 50Mbps or thereabouts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheHoodedClaw posted:

The essberger docked in Teesport does not have that fetching coat of red on it. I wondered what the hell that thing was that was docked and now I can confirm it's still active. Hurrah? Slightly terrifying given that it looks about as seaworthy as the aircraft carrier from waterworld.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

This is absolutely fascinating and I don't know why.

Seeing all the ships queuing up for passage through the Suez and Panama Canals, the research vessels tooling about the Antarctic...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The national grid are supposedly going to ask businesses to run at low power tomorrow too due to the inability to fix the problems they have at power plants in a fast manner.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think we've pretty much done enough reliving the 80s, it's about time we took the next step to the 70s and the Three-Day week.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
We had a work lunch today along with some of the trustees and got to talking about politics/government/Dave and I mentioned (simply regurgitated from this thread) about his prior interest in drug reform and other issues and what a pity it is that people are so willing to abandon their principles for power. The elderly conservative (and probably Conservative to boot) gentleman I was chatting with said "oh well he never really believed it you know - it was all his guru just telling him what to say - it was environmentalism before that; he wanted to save the planet!" I mention that I didn't remember this and a lady the other side of me was surprised and said "Oh don't you remember him in the north pole cuddling a husky? You don't remember 'Hug a husky'!?". I'd never heard of this either but I couldn't help blurting out "'Hug a husky?' The hell is it with David Cameron touching animals?".
A deathly silence descends upon the party.

Anyway, I am now fully informed:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

But them acting like the twats they are does a marvelous job of obfuscating the endless question-dodging that Cameron's doing, so swings and roundabouts, really.

I'd rather have the entire Tory Party looking like twats than just the pigfucker at centre stage. Getting rid of one Tory achieves little, getting rid of dozens is what we need.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

We had a work lunch today along with some of the trustees and got to talking about politics/government/Dave and I mentioned (simply regurgitated from this thread) about his prior interest in drug reform and other issues and what a pity it is that people are so willing to abandon their principles for power. The elderly conservative (and probably Conservative to boot) gentleman I was chatting with said "oh well he never really believed it you know - it was all his guru just telling him what to say - it was environmentalism before that; he wanted to save the planet!"
I wonder why his guru told him to hop on board the drug reform train. It must be an encouraging sign that someone high up thought that would make for a good party leader gambit, even if it was all a fake.
Wasn't he hugging 'hoodies' before huskies too?

OwlFancier posted:

The essberger
:spergin:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

serious gaylord posted:

The national grid are supposedly going to ask businesses to run at low power tomorrow too due to the inability to fix the problems they have at power plants in a fast manner.

While it's obviously a big problem and the generation gap is being pushed to its absolute limit, the number of people affected is going to be vanishingly small, and all of them volunteered for the scheme. Nobodies house or business is going to be affected at all.

Imagine that the Express will still call it a Powergeddon or something.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Prince John posted:

Do you know what your maximum sustained speed is for your provider? I'd be interested in paying extra to get one that will provide an un-throttled 50Mbps or thereabouts.

I'm on SkyBB (I know, I know, but they're the only ones offering fibre in my area and their unlimited actually is unlimited). Can get a minimum 5 MiB/s (40 Mb/s) and that was during a lovely service period. Typically hovers around 7 MiB/s with a peak of 10 MiB/s. I miss the days of my 10 MiB/s guaranteed no matter how much poo poo I was doing, but that was in Birmingham city centre.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder why his guru told him to hop on board the drug reform train. It must be an encouraging sign that someone high up thought that would make for a good party leader gambit, even if it was all a fake.

I definitely recall "hug a hoodie" yeah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't hug hoodies you'll get stabbed.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It is a shame the hoodies never started a "stab a tory" campaign, at least knowingly and with some sort of organisation anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah that was his "greenest government ever" photoshoot where he went and rode a sled a bit in the snow, because... I don't know what connection we're meant to draw. I guess it looks like pristine wilderness except David Cameron is in shot defiling it with his presence

Is that when they rebranded the party logo as a tree too? Then they appointed a climate change denier for environment secretary. Look at the smirk on his face in that snow photograph, he had it all worked out

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dead Goon posted:

It is a shame the hoodies never started a "stab a tory" campaign, at least knowingly and with some sort of organisation anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The kid in the photo was later arrested on some trumped up charge for possession of a minor amount of weed (which iirc was still a Class C drug at that point).
It was fairly obvious that it was a "this is what happens if you make gestures at a Tory leader" affair.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

The kid in the photo was later arrested on some trumped up charge for possession of a minor amount of weed (which iirc was still a Class C drug at that point).
It was fairly obvious that it was a "this is what happens if you make gestures at a Tory leader" affair.

Good thing he was arrested back then. If he'd done that today he'd be facing 5-10 years on terrorism related offences to even start.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Guavanaut posted:

It was burglary actually

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

It looks like he was up to a bit more than getting fitted up with a dime bag of weed http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cameron-gun-teenager-behind-bars-984726

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

17-year old in deprived area turns to drugs and crime, shocking

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's hardly a surprise but it's a fair stretch to say that his arrest was a conspiracy to silence someone who made a cheeky gesture at the then leader of the opposition (without even knowing who it was).

The other hand down his trackies is what makes that photo, I can't believe I never noticed it before.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Sorry to post a tumblr and all but I dunno what the source is for this video and just lol
http://imitation-lobster-meat.tumblr.com/post/132566254033/starrykatsu-aicosu-ahhahahhahahhhhhhhhh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

It's hardly a surprise but it's a fair stretch to say that his arrest was a conspiracy to silence someone who made a cheeky gesture at the then leader of the opposition (without even knowing who it was).

The other hand down his trackies is what makes that photo, I can't believe I never noticed it before.

After a while you just gloss over it. I noticed, I just didn't think it was odd.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

A few years back I saw a lad ride a bike down my street with one hand down his pants and texting with the other. I was genuinely impressed.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Seaside Loafer posted:

It looks like he was up to a bit more than getting fitted up with a dime bag of weed http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cameron-gun-teenager-behind-bars-984726

Interfering with a car vs interfering with a pig. Hmmm.

I still cant understand why no one has shouted 'you hosed a dead pig head's at any lull in a press conference or personal appearance, unless the Tories have borrowed a cadre of Chinese guards in shell suits to duff up dissenters. When Nige can take pot shots at you, it might be time to pack up and go home.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

big scary monsters posted:

Sorry to post a tumblr and all but I dunno what the source is for this video and just lol
http://imitation-lobster-meat.tumblr.com/post/132566254033/starrykatsu-aicosu-ahhahahhahahhhhhhhhh
It's Jonathan Pie. His stuff's amusing the first time you see it but he doesn't exactly have a lot of variety.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trickjaw posted:

I still cant understand why no one has shouted 'you hosed a dead pig head's at any lull in a press conference or personal appearance, unless the Tories have borrowed a cadre of Chinese guards in shell suits to duff up dissenters. When Nige can take pot shots at you, it might be time to pack up and go home.

This would require Cameron letting a member of the public anywhere near him that wasn't already a member of the conservative party, though.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

It's Jonathan Pie. His stuff's amusing the first time you see it but he doesn't exactly have a lot of variety.

Aww, is it a spoof? Sorry then, I found the Lib Dem jokes amusing though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Eh, it's nice to watch him ranting about how lovely journalism is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Guavanaut posted:

:spergin:

That was Steve Hilton, who appears to have believed it. Once the Tories were in power they ditched him- he now whinges from the sidelines (and California).

• Locked thread