Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, Reaper owns. It's still not amazing DPS or anything but it is exceptionally effective at overworld content and most importantly, it's fun to play. That said, with the way high level Fractals are going it's entirely possible Dhuumfire Viper/Sinister Reapers will actually work quite well because they do have very good condi damage.

I've seen people say that playing a Reaper in the new HoT zones feels like you're playing Diablo within GW2, which sounds fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there a decent rundown of the thief traitlines? More than just "acrobatics gives you this, deadly arts this, etc," but something a little more in-depth? Points out highlights, explains why bad traits are bad, etc.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Harrow posted:

I've seen people say that playing a Reaper in the new HoT zones feels like you're playing Diablo within GW2, which sounds fun to me.
So far it's been my preferred class for doing stuff like the the story missions and the big meta event finales because of the nice blend of survivability and AoE damage. The one downside is ranged damage but if I know in advance I'll need range I'll swap in a staff or axe.

It helps that the male Asura VA is basically the best.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Mercurius posted:

"I'll remember you always, you nameless thing."

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Pssst Mercurius, about those dyes... 😍

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Kenshin posted:

Berserker is really fun, I love it on my warrior. Feels powerful to me. I mean, my Chronomancer is just ridiculous, but I have no complaints about Berserker and the buffs from the patch today are nice.

:hfive:

I'm having fun with my Berserker girl running through the treetops so this patch is a nice bonus. Admittedly I haven't touched PVP yet because I'm having so much fun exploring (and also because I am a giant wuss) but I understand there are a lot of Berserker complaints in relation to other classes being titans striding the battlefield by comparison. Of course I'm a complete casual so :shrug:

Edit: RIP cool glowy red hands (unless it's just me)

Axialbloom fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 4, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mercurius posted:

I'm very glad that I chose male asura for my Necromancer, because he seriously nails all of the shouts.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I really wish he would follow up the "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" with diabolical laughter.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Here's my fairly simple Crit Reaper build I've been running for the past week or so.

Fairly straight forward. You want to keep your target chilled and vulnerable. Vulnerability is about 50% of your crit chance from one of your traits. Once the target gets to about 50% health mash 2 for absurd amounts of damage.
Stack crit, crit damage, and runes which give you a percent increased damage beyond a threshold.
Just be aware you're squishy and Shroud should be used as a way to protect yourself from damage, fears, or be used to escape.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 4, 2015

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

for the life of me i'll never understand why people actually like watching dumbasses like him but apparently he makes lore videos or some poo poo which is why most find out about his stuff.

i'd rather just read the drat wiki

Yeah, I'd say it's just part of being old and grumpy, but then again I've seen commentary or how-to videos worth watching or that actually add value over A. Doing it yourself or B. Just reading about it, but so many folks are just doing a bad job of aping whatever LP superstar with a wacky persona they feel like copying.

It's frustrating because like in the case of "There's a lot of differences even in presentation between these localizations, and it's a pain in the rear end to access the Chinese servers, let me show you them" you've got quite a neat topic, I guess he was kind enough not to blare music or take up a quarter of the screen with a reaction cam and stupid logos, so he's steps above some youtubers.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there a decent rundown of the thief traitlines? More than just "acrobatics gives you this, deadly arts this, etc," but something a little more in-depth? Points out highlights, explains why bad traits are bad, etc.

PvE? You always take Deadly Arts, Crit Strikes, and Trickery because those give you damage and if you not doing damage thief is sorta pointless. Substitute Daredevil for Trickery if you want to just flip around and look sorta cool but it's not great. You should be D/D + SB, Zerker, etc. If you want conditions there are other classes that do that far better; raw damage is what they're good at. You can put together a gimmick condition Daredevil but I didn't like it much at all, feels like something that'd be better in PvP but I know nothing about that.

Deadly Arts:
    Tier 1: Dagger Training or Mug. Former for more damage, latter for the heal. I prefer Mug because thief is squishy and I have other traits to lower Steal's cooldown.

Tier 2: Revealed Training. Both because it's a good damage boost and the other two suck, just read them to see why.

Tier 3: Executioner. See Tier 2 comments.

Critical Strikes:
    Tier 1: Flawless Strikes is your max damage option; I use Signets of Power for a lower cooldown on Agility for more endurance/dodges when I need them. Shouldn't really ever need Side Strike.

Tier 2: Sundering Strikes if you're in a group lacking Vulnerability application, otherwise Practice Tolerance for damage. You'll never use pistols so Ankle Shots is out on that alone, but you have such easy access to cripple anyway that it's sorta stupid on its own merit.

Tier 3: No Quarter for max damage, Invigorating Precision for survivability. Really up to you on which you need. Hidden Killer just isn't necessary.

Trickery:
    Tier 1: Thrill of the Crime. The cooldown on Flanking Strikes is just too long to matter. Uncatchable is something you don't need.

Tier 2: Bountiful Theft for boon stripping, I like Trickster just for making Withdraw better. Pressure Striking is for condition builds.

Tier 3: Sleight of Hand is a useful daze and an even shorter cooldown for steal is really nice. Quick Pockets is nice for more init, thus more ability spam and more damage.

Shadow Arts:
    I think theoretically this is the trait line to make thief tanky, but uh, it doesn't really. You'll still die to a stiff breeze. Don't bother with it.

Acrobatics:
    Before the changes to traits, this used to be an alright dip. Now it's just kinda lovely condition removal and really poo poo dodge support. Daredevil is basically Acro 2.0, so you'll never ever use this trait line ever.

Daredevil:
    Personally I don't like it much, parts of it are neat but idk what you'd use it in place of. Probably Trickery I guess. Idk, someone who likes DD can answer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CLAM DOWN posted:

At the very least it should help with crash issues, as the client's memory leak will have to fill up 8/16/more GB of memory now before crashing as opposed to 2-4 before.

When I hear people say this about the 64 bit build I hear "Now instead of the game crashing, it'll churn your PC to a screeching halt eventually instead" :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

When I hear people say this about the 64 bit build I hear "Now instead of the game crashing, it'll churn your PC to a screeching halt eventually instead" :(

Hah, yeah until they fix the leak it just means you will crash in 4 hours rather than 40 minutes for example. Which might be more than enough time for people to leave the zone or close the game or whatever!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I just tried the 64 bit client and I had an average of 17 fps while I get a solid 60 fps with the 32 bit client. No idea what is going on there but I am definitely sticking with the old one for now.

Shalebridge Cradle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 4, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Pssst Mercurius, about those dyes... 😍
I haven't forgotten but thanks to constantly running people through the new zones to get hero points I haven't really had time. Unfortunately, you can only send 2 mails before you get message suppressed and you can only have 5 attachments per mail so with the amount of stuff people have asked for I'm going to have to find half an hour to do nothing but send out dyes in the mail.

Lemon King posted:

Here's my fairly simple Crit Reaper build I've been running for the past week or so.

Fairly straight forward. You want to keep your target chilled and vulnerable. Vulnerability is about 50% of your crit chance from one of your traits. Once the target gets to about 50% health mash 2 for absurd amounts of damage.
Stack crit, crit damage, and runes which give you a percent increased damage beyond a threshold.
Just be aware you're squishy and Shroud should be used as a way to protect yourself from damage, fears, or be used to escape.
Looks pretty similar to what I'm running but keep in mind crit chance only goes up to 100% and you have 100% from traits alone while in Shroud there. Death Perception is a great trait but it's pretty redundant to have both so I'd recommend swapping it over for Dhuumfire instead since you can maintain 4-5 stacks of burning which does ~1k a tick even with no condition damage.

There's basically two schools of thought on how to play non-minion power Reapers. The first one mainly uses weapons (usually dagger/warhorn and greatsword) for damage, uses shroud for utility skills and I think normally does Spite/Blood Magic/Reaper for traits with (which is largely what you're describing above but with different traits). The second one uses the traits you have above but camps shroud instead of relying on the weapons for damage (although it still uses gravedigger spam below 50% where appropriate). The non-shroud build has strong chill uptime, is better personal and single target DPS but the shroud camping build has significantly better survivability, AoE damage and vulnerability uptime.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I just tried the 64 bit client and I had an average of 17 fps while I get a solid 60 fps with the 32 bit client. No idea what is going on there but I definitely sticking with the old one for now.

I think I get slightly more fps with the 64 bit client.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just tried the 64 bit client and I had an average of 17 fps while I get a solid 60 fps with the 32 bit client. No idea what is going on there but I am definitely sticking with the old one for now.

People shouldn't expect a performance boost with the 64-bit client, that's not the purpose of it.

they also shouldn't expect that kind of drop, so yeah it's clearly a bit buggy :v:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of performance in GW2, I really want them to change the weird shadow draw distance. It's not often a huge problem, but in shadow-heavy areas like the new HoT ones, it's weird to see detailed environmental shadows pop in only when they're very close to your character. I'm pretty sure I have every graphics setting that could affect that at max, so I can only assume that's as good as it gets.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

mike12345 posted:

I think I get slightly more fps with the 64 bit client.
Ditto. Also, loading times are waaay faster. I don't have time to use the global interwebs between transition now :/

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

Ditto. Also, loading times are waaay faster. I don't have time to use the global interwebs between transition now :/

This is excellent news.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Considering I keep crashing in the first 5 minutes of the game, I'm not sure my issue is RAM.
(The issue is probably my graphics card :sigh: sometimes I make it an hour or two in though, and I've only had a real "GW2 has crashed, send error report?" deal once in HoT.)

malhavok posted:

I like that trait too and i can't make heads or tails out of that either.

I understand a fair bit of it, but I don't have enough numbers to figure out exactly what the change is. Or if "adjust the damage ratio" is something separate or detailed by the subsequent sentences.

I was writing up a whole post about math, but the wiki's been updated: Base damage is now 202, with +30 damage for every 100 condition damage. (Or, 30% of your condition damage is added to the chill damage.)
300 condition damage will put you at the same damage chill did when the enemy was below the threshold. In fact, at 1500 condition damage (a pretty solid number) you'll be doing ~the exact same amount of damage per second.
So yeah, it's basically a slight simplification, a nerf if you don't have condition damage, and slightly worse downscaling.

Edit: Assuming the wiki is correct.

Harrow posted:

I'm very glad that I chose male asura for my Necromancer, because he seriously nails all of the shouts.

The male charr also does a great job, he's very threatening!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I too had increased loading times and shoddier performance with the 64bit client, so I dunno what's up with it. Didn't crash, though!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Azazell0 posted:

I too had increased loading times and shoddier performance with the 64bit client, so I dunno what's up with it. Didn't crash, though!

It might help if you list some system specs, this would help figuring out where the problem lies. Increased loading times could be due to Windows making use of the paging file as you play.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

People on reddit were saying that the 64-bit client defaulted to using your integrated graphics rather than your fancy card - check that?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
64bit client worked great for me, and hasn't crashed yet. I'd been having a lot of trouble with the old client crashing. Very small sample size obviously.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

If you are running an Nvidia card, check your Nvidia Control Panel. Each .EXE can use onboard or GPU so make sure the 64-bit .EXE is set to your GPU. Some people are saying this is only for laptops but I would check this anyway. I wouldn't expect an increase in performance but there are many factors that can get in the way, the most prominent being its a beta client.

Edit: as a side note I just overclocked my i5 4670k yesterday(3.8->4.2) and I was already seeing a small increase in fps when near a zerg in the new zones. This game really is CPU bound and its confusing, then again it's a pretty old engine. I will be playing with this new client as it seems the crashing may be less at least. I'm hoping to find a sweet spot for my graphic settings as I just got a GTX 970 and some more RAM(16gb now) as well. I'm getting around 40fps with most stuff turned up high but I feel I should be getting better with my setup. GTA5 has no problems but GW2 chugs when there is even a small group of 5 dudes making GBS threads out spells nearby.

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 5, 2015

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Mercurius posted:

I haven't forgotten but thanks to constantly running people through the new zones to get hero points I haven't really had time. Unfortunately, you can only send 2 mails before you get message suppressed and you can only have 5 attachments per mail so with the amount of stuff people have asked for I'm going to have to find half an hour to do nothing but send out dyes in the mail.

Oh poo poo, I didn't know this. Now I feel bad for bugging you :3:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

J3ng4 posted:

If you are running an Nvidia card, check your Nvidia Control Panel. Each .EXE can use onboard or GPU so make sure the 64-bit .EXE is set to your GPU. Some people are saying this is only for laptops but I would check this anyway. I wouldn't expect an increase in performance but there are many factors that can get in the way, the most prominent being its a beta client.

Edit: as a side note I just overclocked my i5 4670k yesterday(3.8->4.2) and I was already seeing a small increase in fps when near a zerg in the new zones. This game really is CPU bound and its confusing, then again it's a pretty old engine. I will be playing with this new client as it seems the crashing may be less at least. I'm hoping to find a sweet spot for my graphic settings as I just got a GTX 970 and some more RAM(16gb now) as well. I'm getting around 40fps with most stuff turned up high but I feel I should be getting better with my setup. GTA5 has no problems but GW2 chugs when there is even a small group of 5 dudes making GBS threads out spells nearby.

I really should overclock mine, I have the 4790k

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hah, yeah until they fix the leak it just means you will crash in 4 hours rather than 40 minutes for example. Which might be more than enough time for people to leave the zone or close the game or whatever!

That's kinda the problematic part though, I fear it'd simply crash your machine (or effectively crash it by starting to freeze up as physical memory runs dry). I'd rather GW2 crash in 40 minutes than have to hard-reboot my PC if I don't remember to restart GW2 before four hours passes, to use your numbers :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

(itt i incriminate myself as playing too god damned much at a single stretch)

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really should overclock mine, I have the 4790k

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Processor cooler is what I picked up. Cletus recommended it and it was under $35 so I threw it on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

J3ng4 posted:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Processor cooler is what I picked up. Cletus recommended it and it was under $35 so I threw it on.

Already have it, just never bothered to do the overclocking part.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I need to finish my necro, just need 4 more levels then I can tome to 80, they sound like a ton of fun.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't know this. Now I feel bad for bugging you :3:
No need to feel bad, I said I'd do it. I did post a couple of pages back saying it was delayed a bit due to the problems with mail suppression but it's not really too surprising it got lost because we've had a pretty high volume of traffic in the thread recently :v:

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Managed to do an entire dragon's stand without crashing. Looks like the 64 bit client fixed my problems, or at least made them exceedingly rare. Thanks anet!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Looks pretty similar to what I'm running but keep in mind crit chance only goes up to 100% and you have 100% from traits alone while in Shroud there. Death Perception is a great trait but it's pretty redundant to have both so I'd recommend swapping it over for Dhuumfire instead since you can maintain 4-5 stacks of burning which does ~1k a tick even with no condition damage.

There's basically two schools of thought on how to play non-minion power Reapers. The first one mainly uses weapons (usually dagger/warhorn and greatsword) for damage, uses shroud for utility skills and I think normally does Spite/Blood Magic/Reaper for traits with (which is largely what you're describing above but with different traits). The second one uses the traits you have above but camps shroud instead of relying on the weapons for damage (although it still uses gravedigger spam below 50% where appropriate). The non-shroud build has strong chill uptime, is better personal and single target DPS but the shroud camping build has significantly better survivability, AoE damage and vulnerability uptime.

Lemon King posted:

I don't understand why you people aren't running Reaper's Onslaught. Not only does Deathly Chill do piss-all damage, RO synergizes so much better with traits like Unyielding Blast, Reaper's Might, and Dhuumfire with a hybrid build. Bitter Chill instead of Spiteful Talisman isn't a bad choice if you have both chill shouts off CD and/or are solo though.

Edit: It's hard to pass up minions in PvE though. I just wish they were better at holding aggro compared to phantasms. Maybe it's just my perception.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 5, 2015

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

ItBurns posted:

I don't understand why you people aren't running Reaper's Onslaught. Not only does Deathly Chill do piss-all damage, RO synergizes so much better with traits like Unyielding Blast, Reaper's Might, and Dhuumfire with a hybrid build. Bitter Chill instead of Spiteful Talisman isn't a bad choice if you have both chill shouts off CD and/or are solo though.

Edit: It's hard to pass up minions in PvE though. I just wish they were better at holding aggro compared to phantasms. Maybe it's just my perception.

Agreeing with ItBurns again, because we have good opinions. If you're a Power build, IAS traits are incredibly powerful, you're loving nutso if you take anything else in that line. Necro shroud 1 skills have always been a massive source of damage, plus the reaper one will increase your might stacking rate by 15% on top of extra damage. It's a no-brainer, I'm astounded to find out anyone was even considering a different pick from that line.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Don't forget Reaper's Onslaught also makes it so kills reduce the cooldown on shroud abilities by 5 seconds. If you're doing PvE in the expansion zones, especially Dragon's Stand, the game has the tendency to throw a billion popcorn enemies at you and being able to do more soul spirals is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I give the 64-bit client an A+. Played through Teq with all of the pretty graphics options on and character model limit/quality at high and no crash today! Got up to 4.7GB of RAM during the battle. I can't wait to see what the mouth of Mordremoth looks like with graphics turned back up again.

• Locked thread