Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

:shrug: Makes sense to me. But I'm pretty used to MS stuff at this point.

Release 2, service pack 1, cumulative update 1

Easier than trying to figure out what build 6.1.1602.27539 is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just wish you can download CU via Windows Update instead of RSS'ing this dudes site.

https://buildnumbers.wordpress.com/

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I just wish you can download CU via Windows Update instead of RSS'ing this dudes site.

https://buildnumbers.wordpress.com/

You mean like the entire rest of the System Center Suite? Me too. SCCM has to be extra special though and do their own poo poo, on their own schedule. Much like the software itself (SMS = Slow Moving Software).

In fact I always say that the speed of any process in SCCM is inversely proportional to how much you want it to happen. Trying to push that critical 0-Day patch to every machine in the enterprise? SLLLLOOOOWWWWW! Accidentally deploy Windows 10 to "All Systems", poo poo poo poo poo poo it already happened.

I too have a love/hate relationship with SCCM. Infinite Cosmic Power! Enormous Pain in the rear end!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ha that reminds me of something I just came across this week. I'm doing a side job for a small business, helping them visualize and start to get their IT infrastructure in order. I've set up a WSUS server for them, created the correct GPOs, and started approving and organizing updates. Within a few days all clients are at %99 installed! If I tried the same thing with SCCM the reporting would be so slow. I'd still be sitting around %85-90.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can someone point out a good briefing or primer on terminal services licensing?

We have a contractor that's using a provisioned VM and has asked for more than two administrator RDP connections to the VM. I've never dealt with RDP/terminal service licensing and googling is getting me all over the place.

Simply put: what's the process if we have a single VM that needs to have 4 RDP sessions open to it?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

(note: Remote Desktop Services (RDS) is just the new name for what used to be Terminal Services)

The licensing part isn't too bad. You'll need to buy your RDS CAL's, install the RDS licensing role on a server somewhere, and install/activate the RDS CAL's on the licensing server. RDS CAL's can be per device or per user. You'll probably want per user.

Add the RDS Session Host role to the server that needs additional RDP connections, point it to the licensing server, and you should be good.

I've only done RDS on Server2012R2, the instructions for 2008R2 should be similar.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

(note: Remote Desktop Services (RDS) is just the new name for what used to be Terminal Services)

The licensing part isn't too bad. You'll need to buy your RDS CAL's, install the RDS licensing role on a server somewhere, and install/activate the RDS CAL's on the licensing server. RDS CAL's can be per device or per user. You'll probably want per user.

Add the RDS Session Host role to the server that needs additional RDP connections, point it to the licensing server, and you should be good.

I've only done RDS on Server2012R2, the instructions for 2008R2 should be similar.

Thanks; thats what I was gathering from my reading. Think I'm going to deny this request; mainly because its a lot of extra work for a limited-time contract that shouldnt be done via RDP anyways.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Switched to O365 for mail. Anyone know what I should set in Office Customization Tool for "Server" when customizing it automatically create the profile?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

Switched to O365 for mail. Anyone know what I should set in Office Customization Tool for "Server" when customizing it automatically create the profile?

I'm pretty sure you can call up MS themselves for free onboarding when you're firing up O365. If you call a Microsoft sales rep you might even be able to get them to give you on-site assistance or at least a native English speaking phone tech. Just for any further crap you encounter on your journey.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Methanar posted:

SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 CU1

what the gently caress kind of naming convention is this

Don't forget to install the console hot fix to prevent driver bloat!

But yeah that name is garbage. Especially fun when you Google for it, you might get results for 2012 non-R2 SP1. Or results from 2012 non-R2 SP2 may be relevant because it's the same code as 2012 r2 SP1 CU1, just with the r2 bits turned off.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I've got my ticket for the Midwest Management Summit at the beautiful scenic Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. It's all about SCCM pretty much, anybody else going? I'm looking forward to the session titled "Your Largest Pet: Care and Feeding Instructions for your ConfigMgr Infrastructure"

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

FISHMANPET posted:

So I've got my ticket for the Midwest Management Summit at the beautiful scenic Mall of America in Bloomington, MN. It's all about SCCM pretty much, anybody else going? I'm looking forward to the session titled "Your Largest Pet: Care and Feeding Instructions for your ConfigMgr Infrastructure"

Minneapolis is a pretty cool town. They have a light rail that will take you right into downtown.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My boss dragged me to a strip club in Minneapolis. Don't bother.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I actually live in Minneapolis, right on the light rail, 10 minutes to downtown, ~35 minutes to the Mall

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Does anyone know of a policy that would drop the default gateway on a static IP setting for a thin client? We use HP thin clients, and we have a special setup that we're doing, but it requires a static IP. The Default gateway (and only the default gateway) of the static settings keeps getting dropped: When the thinclient is rebooted, when you change from DHCP to static, and after a short period of time (15 minutes). Anyone have any ideas?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sorry to dredge this up but i remember you guys saying you had a login script for user accounts that would immediately log them off if someone tried to log in with it.

I have a few users I need to give local admin to but I don't want it to be their everyday account but I don't want them to be able to log in with these credentials.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Office 365 is green for all services... is this the twilight zone? I've never seen them not in recovery for something.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Zero VGS posted:

Office 365 is green for all services... is this the twilight zone? I've never seen them not in recovery for something.

Not even Sharepoint? It's the loving end days here folks...

Edit: It's true. Expect to be raptured soon.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Gerdalti posted:

Not even Sharepoint? It's the loving end days here folks...

Edit: It's true. Expect to be raptured soon.

Maybe it's the status page that's broken today :ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Well that didn't last long. Sharepoint is showing degraded on my portal now. Maybe it doesn't show if you don't use Project Online since it's limited to that service.

Current Status: The investigation determined that a recent update introduced a code defect that caused impact to Project Online language settings. Engineers are developing a fix to remediate end user impact.

User Impact: There is no end-user impact; impact is limited to administrators only. Affected administrators who are using Project Online sites in any other language than English may see Managed View and Grouping Format administrative page content displayed in English.

Customer Impact: Your organization is affected by this event. This issue could potentially affect all of your administrators.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Microsoft are just really quick to go to "degraded" status for their services. I mean they've turned SharePoint yellow for an admin UI display language bug on a couple of pages - that isn't a service-affecting issue.

I appreciate the transparency, I just think it perhaps give a false sense of a lack of stability of the service. I've definitely had clients Google Apps pages throwing them errors and making mailboxes inaccessible with an "oops try again" error for 15-20 minutes and no mention of it on the Apps status page.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There's some definite schadenfreude involved in watching Microsoft struggling with administering Microsoft software

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Especially SharePoint, where they've blamed problems on incorrect implementations for years.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Which reminds me, we had a subordinate leave the company and we gave his boss his password so old emails/files could be accessed.

Now when the boss signs into portal.office.com and clicks his OneDrive tab, his login in the corner changes to the name of the ex-employee and he goes to the ex-employee's OneDrive files instead... it completely acts like he's signed in as the other user. He can't access his own OneDrive for Business files or sync from the desktop app.

Totally weird, I've never seen anything like it before. I figured our other sysadmin did something funky but he says he only gave him the password and didn't change a thing on the backend. I put in a ticket with O365 and even they did a double-take and are still investigating.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

oh come on all of your shits in there.

I didn't even change anything. I don't think it was a waiting thing either this time. I removed all my images, tasks, deployments, etc and redid it from scratch exactly the same, and now it suddenly works.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 2, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So first rule of OSD: Try it a second time.
Second rule: SMSTS.log. Open that cmtrace.exe, which is in this toolkit and also on the OSD boot media.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Go to Monitoring -> Distribution Status -> Content Status and check out the package with the ID in the first screenshot. Chances are it'll have a Last Update time of when you were trying to launch that Task Sequence so the content wasn't available for a short time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
What's the cheapest and most audit-compliant way to get virtualization rights for Windows 10 on a Windows 10 laptop?

Some user is demanding I give him local admin access because he does development and needs to run elevated PowerShell commands, etc. I'm telling him no loving way does he get that on the laptop's primary OS, but I'll check into maybe giving him a Windows VM sandbox to work out of.

Edit: It's looking to be "Windows VDA per user license", apparently.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 3, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We just have a group of system admins who have admin level access to machines in their domain. You may want to talk to your dev group about getting him an MSDN licence which gives him unlimited access to ISOs etc which he could virtualize for about $1300 a year.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

We just have a group of system admins who have admin level access to machines in their domain. You may want to talk to your dev group about getting him an MSDN licence which gives him unlimited access to ISOs etc which he could virtualize for about $1300 a year.

Oh, that's a good point, one of the other admins bought an MSDN license, I assume it belongs to the company but I can make sure. I know those aren't kosher for production but if the guy is just virtualizing test/lab environments, that's the purpose of MSDN, right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you can use MSDN licenses for dev work all day e'ry day, but they can't be used for actual production work.

I think the basic idea is that the developer gets an MSDN licence, then spins up a bajillion VMs on his local machine/environment and then you can prototype the new software system as needed. When you're ready you just commit it to Team Foundation Server, and then it's Ops' problem to deploy.

In a much smaller scope, you can just use it for testing out powershell over a network connection, user permissions etc etc.

The one problem smaller/inexperienced shops have is the admin going "oh jeeze, all the free windows licenses I need for production! happy day!" and then a couple years down the road auditing comes along and are like "fuuuuuuck you weren't supposed to use these licences for that".

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How is PDQ at creating your own packages? Since I've been using Chocolatey more and more lately I wouldnt need to use any of their package library but I really want something simple and easy for creating MSI's that isnt Orca.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How is PDQ at creating your own packages? Since I've been using Chocolatey more and more lately I wouldnt need to use any of their package library but I really want something simple and easy for creating MSI's that isnt Orca.

PDQ doesn't make installers, it just shoves them where they need to be.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

thebigcow posted:

PDQ doesn't make installers, it just shoves them where they need to be.

Expanding on this. Take a look at these "installer packages" this guy created for common stuff. He pushes a directory with the base installer, then a batch file that does whatever else he wants.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/3ozyh5/pdq_deploy_packs_v350_20151016_full_refresh/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

poo poo thats kind of what I figured. I took a look at their product page and didnt come away to impressed. I wish there was a halfway decent cheap/free alternative to Orca out there. Guess I'll just suck it up and stick with Orca for now.

After looking at PDQDeploy again why is anybody still buying/using that? Chocolatey and powershell can do everything it can for free and when NuGet goes mainstream with Powershell 5 there will be no reason to use it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Because those are relatively new and don't provide a nice front end for managing it all. PDQ Deploy also provides some nice integration with PDQ Inventory.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
On MSDN licenses, every single full time HP employee gets one.
To do whatever they like with, because of the relationship between HP and MS.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm getting conflicting information when googling for this stuff so here goes...

Doing a quick and dirty fix for some website issues we're having with our 2003 machines while we wait to convert to 2012. What I want to do is turn OFF compatibility mode for all intranet websites, because the default is to have it on and it's screwing with some website(s) that updated recently.

I'm pretty sure the policy I should be screwing with is: Comp Config\admin templates\windows components\IE\Compatibility view "Turn on Internet Explorer 7 Standards Mode"

Now I've seen conflicting information as to whether enabling or disabling this setting will achieve what I want.

I'm attempting to test this, but I'm currently fighting with some QA machines that apparently do not want the setting or something, it's hard to diagnose because I can't actually use gpresult or anything that will tell me WHAT GPs are currently applied to the computer. Anyone dealt with this before that can say whether the setting should be enabled or disabled?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You can buy technically legal Windows 10 keys from Russian resellers for less than 20 bux so spending 1300 on an MSDN license is probably a bit overkill. Especially since you have to be extra careful about how you use that MSDN software and stay within what's allowed.

As for packaging utilities, if you need something more comfortable than Orca, I'd recommend Advanced Installer. It's got a good UI and you can buy the lowest paid edition for $400. The only important feature that one is missing is creating MSP files but those are hardly used now that nobody cares about saving bandwidth anymore.

MF_James posted:

I'm getting conflicting information when googling for this stuff so here goes...

Doing a quick and dirty fix for some website issues we're having with our 2003 machines while we wait to convert to 2012. What I want to do is turn OFF compatibility mode for all intranet websites, because the default is to have it on and it's screwing with some website(s) that updated recently.

I'm pretty sure the policy I should be screwing with is: Comp Config\admin templates\windows components\IE\Compatibility view "Turn on Internet Explorer 7 Standards Mode"

Now I've seen conflicting information as to whether enabling or disabling this setting will achieve what I want.

I'm attempting to test this, but I'm currently fighting with some QA machines that apparently do not want the setting or something, it's hard to diagnose because I can't actually use gpresult or anything that will tell me WHAT GPs are currently applied to the computer. Anyone dealt with this before that can say whether the setting should be enabled or disabled?

To find out what group policy is currently getting applied on a PC you need to run rsop.msc

I don't know this for sure, but I feel like compatibility view settings should be more of a user policy than a computer policy.

peak debt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

peak debt posted:

You can buy technically legal Windows 10 keys from Russian resellers for less than 20 bux so spending 1300 on an MSDN license is probably a bit overkill. Especially since you have to be extra careful about how you use that MSDN software and stay within what's allowed.

As for packaging utilities, if you need something more comfortable than Orca, I'd recommend Advanced Installer. It's got a good UI and you can buy the lowest paid edition for $400. The only important feature that one is missing is creating MSP files but those are hardly used now that nobody cares about saving bandwidth anymore.

To find out what group policy is currently getting applied on a PC you need to run rsop.msc

I don't know this for sure, but I feel like compatibility view settings should be more of a user policy than a computer policy.

oh hey I was right, rsop gives access denied once I try to drill into the different configurations.

You're probably right about user vs computer though, I just was messing with the computer policy since that's where we have a few settings already configured, whereas in the user area we have no settings configured.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2015