Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Seriously though I would love a 3DS remaster of Mario 64 with better textures and lighting and stuff in the vein of the Zelda remasters. With real analog control it would turn out a lot better than the DS version, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

The rear end Stooge posted:

Seriously though I would love a 3DS remaster of Mario 64 with better textures and lighting and stuff in the vein of the Zelda remasters. With real analog control it would turn out a lot better than the DS version, probably.

People like you are the reason Nintendo churns out rehashed poo poo and is getting beat by lovely IAP filled mobile games

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

African AIDS cum posted:

People like you are the reason Nintendo churns out rehashed poo poo and is getting beat by lovely IAP filled mobile games

I'd much rather they keep churning out weirdo franchise crossovers. Give me Pokemon/X/Monster Hunter, Nintendo! Let me make a sword out of Charizards. I already have Isabelle following me around in MH4U, what's one more franchise for the mix? :mad:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

African AIDS cum posted:

Mario 64 is not a very good game

I unironically agree with this. It made me think I just wouldn't like any 3D Mario for years. Like, I never even played Sunshine or Galaxy. I have SM3DW and it's rad though, so yeah.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

African AIDS Cum what do you dislike about Super Mario 64?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ddogflex posted:

I unironically agree with this. It made me think I just wouldn't like any 3D Mario for years. Like, I never even played Sunshine or Galaxy. I have SM3DW and it's rad though, so yeah.

Same except Super Mario 3D Land

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, I like Sunshine better.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Play Galaxy right now what the gently caress.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Super Mario 64 has a few levels that are really fun (bob-omb battlefield, the boo house) and then like a million that are frustrating garbage. Still it's a mario game so most of the time I'm enjoying myself playing it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Apparently Stella Glow is coming to Europe on the 11th of March 2016. No information yet if there will be a physical version, but looks like it'll appear on the eShop.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I want something like this too. DS added so many cool new things but I can't stand the lack of analog and the poo poo blocky textures. It's looks like what 64 would have looked like on PS1.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want something like this too. DS added so many cool new things but I can't stand the lack of analog and the poo poo blocky textures. It's looks like what 64 would have looked like on PS1.

Yeah that's a good way to describe it. The graphics are technically better overall I guess but it doesn't feel very cohesive.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rexroom posted:

It's not a remix, it's a straight-up sequel to the original SMT4 with improved(?) combat and demon art.

Meh a video card that can play cool new games sounds more appealing. Not that I didn't love SMTIV or enjoy my 3DS mind you but I do most of my gaming at home. With the slow trickle of new releases and the horribly outdated tech, I never seem to want to play with this thing. I swear I must have less than three hours of game time on this drat thing, impulse purchases are bad. Too bad I can't sell all the digital collection I amassed (got nearly all the must-haves installed), but I knew the downsides when I went all digital.

I'll check the FW, hopefully I have a version that plays nice with pirates! :pirate:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ddogflex posted:

Mario 64 is poo poo but Galaxy is a legit Good Game, you should play it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The distinction people fail to draw is Important vs. Good. Mario 64 is a Vitally Important game; tons of games owe a design debt to Mario 64, and not just collectathons either.

Mario 64 was also a Good Game in the 90s, but if it was released today it would be Just Okay.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm playing Mario 64 seriously for the first time in my life, going for 120 stars, right now and....oof, it's been a struggle. While playing using the WiiU gamepad may be the source of some of my controller problems, I cannot imagine playing this game without save states, it's been so helpful when it's come to the more obtuse platforming in the later levels and I don't need to climb up the entire loving clock all over again goddamn. Also either I'm broken or the Wing Cap is one of the most broken and unwieldy methods of movement in a video game ever because good lord that thing is rough. Trying to do some of the precise landing in the desert level with that thing was just the worst.

All that's left for me to do is complete all of Rainbow Ride and fight Bowser and while I'm really excited to beat this game, I don't ever wanna play it again. Mario 64 is incredibly important and Banjo-Kazooie really ironed out a lot that 64 laid down.

Also Sunshine is way better than 64.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 4, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Both 64 and Sunshine are good, but I'd never try to 100% either.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
64 is good and Sunshine is mediocre

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

64 has not aged well at all.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Nah it's fine actually

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sade posted:

The distinction people fail to draw is Important vs. Good. Mario 64 is a Vitally Important game; tons of games owe a design debt to Mario 64, and not just collectathons either.

Mario 64 was also a Good Game in the 90s, but if it was released today it would be Just Okay.

I thought it was bad even in 1996, and caused a lot of other bad 3D platformers to exist to piggyback on its success, but I appreciate its existence because it led to Galaxy existing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked 64 DS and had no problem moving with the d-pad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Motto posted:

Both 64 and Sunshine are good, but I'd never try to 100% either.

It takes like 3 hours or something to 100% 64, it's a lot shorter when you're not a kid + know where everything is

Also I think the platforming itself has aged really well. Mario is just really fun to control in that game, there's so much freedom of movement

E: Ok maybe not 3 hours - I was thinking of how long it takes to get 70 stars and beat Bowser. Probably closer to like 5 or 6 for 100%

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 4, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It takes like 3 hours or something to 100% 64, it's a lot shorter when you're not a kid + know where everything is

Also I think the platforming itself has aged really well. Mario is just really fun to control in that game, there's so much freedom of movement

I still think the acrobatic triple jump is one of the greatest things ever introduced to 3D platforming. That poo poo is so satisfying every time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Let's just ignore the milestone m64 was to design OK?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ddogflex posted:

This is almost a 2D game compared to 64 or Galaxy. Play galaxy already jesus.

African AIDS cum posted:

Same except Super Mario 3D Land

Again fun game but practically more of a 2D mario than a 3D mario. Its kinda in-between, like 3D-but-isometric Mario.

Sade posted:

At least its not linear :v: That alone makes it better than most games out right now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I think Mario 64 still holds up today because Nintendo wasn't trying to translate 2D Mario directly into 3D but instead figured out what works well for platformers in 3D, polished the fundamentals and built challenges around them. The whole collectathon design seems like a way of reusing level maps and textures to compensate for not being able to have individual levels like with 2D Marios. The camera's pretty garbage, but to be fair, it was one of, if not the first implementations of a 3D camera in a video game so of course it's going to be kinda bad, no one knew how to make a good one at the time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

64 is good and Sunshine is mediocre

It's aged way better than every other 3d platforming collectathon

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Mario 64 is the worst N64 Banjo-Kazooie game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spintzel posted:

Mario 64 is the worst N64 Banjo-Kazooie game

Unlike Banjo-Kazooie , Mario 64 isn't garbage.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Banjo-Kazooie is good but not as good as Mario 64

Banjo-Tooie, now that's garbage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mario 64 aged a lot and it suffers for that but it holds together better than most other games from its time frame. It was impressive for the time it came out and even now it is more likely to be playable that the bulk of games it shares a timeframe and genre with. It is not as easily defined as Good or Bad. Thank you for your time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
mario 64 is some poo poo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Let's just ignore the milestone m64 was to design OK?
Whether or not you think it's a good game, yes you should ignore that if you want to honestly evaluate it as a game and not a museum piece.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Rayman 2 is a good 3D platformer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When I was a kid I never really played Mario 64 a ton but I dumped hours and hours into DK64.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

Banjo-Kazooie is good but not as good as Mario 64

Banjo-Tooie, now that's garbage

Banjo-Kazooie controls like molasses but at least the level design is fun (after you get infinite air and flight at least) and then Banjo-Tooie throws that out the window in favor of...

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

When I was a kid I never really played Mario 64 a ton but I dumped hours and hours into DK64.

i am sorry about your hosed up childhood

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It was a while before something that controlled as well as M64 was made again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

E: Ok maybe not 3 hours - I was thinking of how long it takes to get 70 stars and beat Bowser. Probably closer to like 5 or 6 for 100%

It's not a time thing, there are just a bunch of missions in both that I find to be unfun and not worth completing. Galaxy 2's the first 3D Mario I 100%'d because I enjoyed every mission to some extent.