Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've decided I love John's running into the ground of "Janice from Accounting don't give a gently caress!." Kinda reminds me of Letterman randomly offering people gum or deciding that Buttafuoco is the funniest word in the world. I think it's partly because John himself clearly loves the joke.

Also-semi-related to the Trumptalk: Watch Seth Meyers evisceration of him from the Press Correspondents Dinner. Donald just keeps a stern "I will have you killed when I am president" face the whole time, and Obama laughs really hard at one joke, it's great.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Janice from Accounting has never failed to get a laugh from me.

If only to see John Oliver try to get it out without laughing

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I've dceided I love John's running into the ground of "Janice from Accounting don't give a gently caress!. Kinda reminds me of Letterman randomly offering people gum or deciding that Buttafuoco is the funniest word in the world.

Also-semi-related to the Trumptalk: Watch Seth Meyers evisceration of him from the Press Correspondents Dinner. Donald just keeps a stern "I will have you killed when I am president" face the whole time, and Obama laughs really hard at one joke, it's great.

If Oliver ever gives up that 'calling out Janice from accounting' shtick, I have a feeling that one day he'll bring it back all of a sudden for a one-off, and people will lose their mind.

Also, I'd love to actually see Janice from accounting show up one time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If Oliver ever gives up that 'calling out Janice from accounting' shtick, I have a feeling that one day he'll bring it back all of a sudden for a one-off, and people will lose their mind.

Also, I'd love to actually see Janice from accounting show up one time.

Yeah, as evidenced by the audience losing it for his callback to Carlos Danger.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

I completely didn't see yesterdays Janice coming and just about lost my poo poo, so yeah probably.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

John Oliver posted:

John Oliver, comedian and host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" on Friday said that he's not at all interested in having Donald Trump on his show.

"I don’t really care about him in any capacity," he said on CBS' "This Morning." "I don’t really have anything to say to him."

Oliver explained that an interview with Trump would not yield anything new about the real estate mogul and Republican presidential candidate.

"He’s said everything he wants to say. He has no internal monologue, that man. So it’s not like you’re going to find the secret nugget he’s been holding back. He’s an open book. And that book doesn’t have that many interesting words in it," Oliver said.

Yesss it's a joke image, but I love it nevertheless.

I love Janice, screw the haters. Each gag is impeccably placed, and the imagery is spot on. Oliver's expressions are the icing on the cake.
DGAF FLAG

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 4, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paradox Personified posted:

Yesss it's a joke image, but I love it nevertheless.

So it's just made up? Hilarious! Let's just make up funny things Republicans might say and laugh at them!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"I'm a dumbass, I like to eat my own poo poo! If the Americans knew what was good for them they'd vote for Bernie Sanders! lol!" -Donald Trump

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Austrian mook posted:

"I'm a dumbass, I like to eat my own poo poo!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I enjoyed when they listed Trump in the opening of this week's episode, with the title 'Persona Non Grata' :golfclap:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Austrian mook posted:

So it's just made up? Hilarious! Let's just make up funny things Republicans might say and laugh at them!

To be fair, still not as bad as having a political 'debate' with an empty chair, then claiming, with a straight face, that you won.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheCenturion posted:

To be fair, still not as bad as having a political 'debate' with an empty chair, then claiming, with a straight face, that you won.

That was unreal. I still can't believe that it happened.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fowl posted:

That was unreal. I still can't believe that it happened.

Given the fact that they are crying fowl* over the "gotcha" questions at the CNBC debate, which is what they label any question that points out their ignorance, hypocrisy, or that they haven't had a team of bullshitters spend hours on, working out a way to dodge the question, well... to me, the only surprise now is that they didn't do something like it sooner.

Ever since Sarah Palin's string of ridiculously incorrect answers to very basic questions caused the term "'gotcha!' questions" to enter the public lexicon, it's become increasingly apparent that as either side cozies up to the fringes of its party in order to make up for losses elsewhere, they end up taking stances that are so preposterous (and often contradictory) that their positions do not stand up to even casual observation, much less any kind of scrutiny. Given that, it makes perfect sense that at some point, they're going to give up and go for theatrics, and few things are more theatrical than watching and old man whose tough-guy roles in movies makes you forget he sang in Paint Your Wagon having a sarcastic argument with someone who isn't there, and illustrating said someone's not-there-edness by using an empty chair in what I can only imagine was a joke suggestion put forth by a young Republican prankster who never in a million years thought that anyone would take his suggestion seriously.

*: yes, fowl. I don't have any proof, but $5 says that when they cried foul, they used the wrong word.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TheCenturion posted:

Wait, what? Did somebody really do this? Lmao if so

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Wait, what? Did somebody really do this? Lmao if so

Clint eastwood.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

buddhanc posted:

Clint eastwood.

Can you even imagine how amazing the Republican convention will be if Trump is actually the nominee?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, here's something I don't understand about the Clint Eastwood debacle; Didn't he posit it as 'this is what I'd say if President Obama was sitting in this chair right here'? If so, why was everyone getting all weirded out by it? I mean, yeah, it's kind of a weird way to go about things, but am I missing something? I mean, it's barely different than someone saying 'If so-and-so was here, I'd tell them <insert what they'd tell them here>', except Clint had an actual chair.

Did he get really weird with it beyond that?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Ok, here's something I don't understand about the Clint Eastwood debacle; Didn't he posit it as 'this is what I'd say if President Obama was sitting in this chair right here'? If so, why was everyone getting all weirded out by it? I mean, yeah, it's kind of a weird way to go about things, but am I missing something? I mean, it's barely different than someone saying 'If so-and-so was here, I'd tell them <insert what they'd tell them here>', except Clint had an actual chair.

Watch for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933hKyKNPFQ

It's awkward as gently caress and I say this as somebody who loves me some Clint Eastwood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

smg77 posted:

Watch for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933hKyKNPFQ

It's awkward as gently caress and I say this as somebody who loves me some Clint Eastwood.

Ok, it's coming off as a really, really bad Bob Newhart-esque bit. For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1nCuVQIeg

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
"Whats that? No i will not shut up"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was clear to everyone what he was doing and that he didn't actually think Obama was in the chair, it just came off as a crazy old man ranting at a chair because he really sold it well, being someone with real dramatic acting chops. The general collective insanity of the GOP helps too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
He obviously doesn't really think that Mr. Obama is sitting in the chair. Lmao, people on the website are so fuckin stupid.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

My main takeaway from that is either he's getting too old for that poo poo, or he should have prepared more in advance.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

One of Reince Priebus' lackeys said, "What if we literally pretended Obama was an empty chair?" and it just got out of control.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I haven't seen the show in the last couple weeks, has Oliver mentioned how Trump bragged of being invited to come onto his show "four or five times", despite the show not having guests?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They have had guests before, though granted they weren't there for being a politician.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Yeah they had the iraqi translator on

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

coyo7e posted:

I haven't seen the show in the last couple weeks, has Oliver mentioned how Trump bragged of being invited to come onto his show "four or five times", despite the show not having guests?

Not at all. The only reference they've made is adding Trump's face to the intro with the text "Persona Non Grata"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yeah they had the iraqi translator on

And the African (Ugandan?) transgender women, the young women's rights girl, the Indian news anchor that covered the Indian elections etc.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
My understanding of Clint Eastwood and the chair was that they were supposed to have an Obama hologram in the chair, no seriously, and logistically it failed, but Clint decided to do it anyway.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

My understanding of Clint Eastwood and the chair was that they were supposed to have an Obama hologram in the chair, no seriously, and logistically it failed, but Clint decided to do it anyway.

that's a good thing, since Romney would have won the election if they had gotten the hologram.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I thought they were going to have hologram Reagan do something, but Mitt's campaign though it would overshadow the candidate so they last minute got Eastwood to yell at an empty chair.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

FetusSlapper posted:

I thought they were going to have hologram Reagan do something, but Mitt's campaign though it would overshadow the candidate so they last minute got Eastwood to yell at an empty chair.

Well ya I mean look was that 2pac hologram did at coachella that year

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
In all seriousness, I can see where they were going with the empty chair. Even if there was a plan to have a hologram there early on, and I don't know if I believe that because you can't just put a hologram somewhere--it takes a lot of equipment, unless you've booked Automan and it's late at night--there's a certain kind of sense in what they were trying to do. Someone needed to put big, bad, other b-word Obama in his place, and to illustrate the fact that he's both there taking the beating and too afraid to actually show up, they set his chair there, conspicuous by its emptiness.

I'm not saying that it would ever have worked, because my God, that debacle could teach a class in how not to work. But I can see how that, at some point, may have seemed like a good idea to someone whose main goal was trying to make President Obama look bad. I mean, at one point, they pantomimed (sort-of) a petulant Obama telling His Lord and Highness Eastwood to shut-up, and when he's getting criticized fairly, isn't that just exactly what a little crybaby weenie like Obama would do, amiright amiright?

The problem is that at no point did anyone bother to say, "OK, now let's look at how this is going to look to anyone who isn't a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Republican." And this turned out to be an important thing that someone should have said, because when the guy yelling at the empty chair is approximately 1,000 years old... well, let's just say the optics weren't good. And any reasonable person should have been able to predict that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FetusSlapper posted:

Turns out all the "make something appear human" processor time was needed for Romney himself.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My understanding was that the Obama chair was completely improvised by Clint. Eastwood wanted to speak and nobody asked him what exactly he wanted to say. No optics or marketing or image consulting done, just let Dirty Harry do whatever he wants, because we're feeling lucky.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

The problem is that at no point did anyone bother to say, "OK, now let's look at how this is going to look to anyone who isn't a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Republican."

They didn't do that because they clearly don't care what those people think.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They didn't do that because they clearly don't care what those people think.

... now that I think about it... yeah, pretty much this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

It was clear to everyone what he was doing and that he didn't actually think Obama was in the chair, it just came off as a crazy old man ranting at a chair because he really sold it well, being someone with real dramatic acting chops. The general collective insanity of the GOP helps too.

I think it was less because of his "real dramatic acting chops" and more because it was a hilariously terrible idea both in concept and execution.

IRQ posted:

Turns out all the "make something appear human" processor time was needed for Romney himself.

The technology required to make that work won't be around for at least another couple of decades.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

raditts posted:

The technology required to make that work won't be around for at least another couple of decades will never exist.

ftfy.

• Locked thread