Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

maffew buildings posted:

I don't even know nor care what our command structure is for this thing. I'm a Seabee so no, whatever ship things you're referencing, just no

Stupid liberty rules apply to everyone, bruh. Even Seabees. Have fun in the Honch until you turn back into a pumpkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
wait, Maffew, are you going on a boat or to a regular NMCB rotation at Camp Shields, Okinawa?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

That's bitchin'. Always talk of the carriers and wow I didn't even realize Carter was an officer.

Here's every US president since WWII who was NOT a military officer in one capacity or another:
Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
FDR

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Godholio posted:

Here's every US president since WWII who was NOT a military officer in one capacity or another:
Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
FDR

I did not know that Tricky Dick or LBJ were in the Naval Reserves.

Learned something new I guess.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
FDR

brb, writing up a right-wing meme to spam all over my social media

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shows how sweeping WW2 truly was. I doubt there will ever be the same run of vets as the President.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LingcodKilla posted:

Shows how sweeping WW2 truly was. I doubt there will ever be the same run of vets as the President.

Also the draft ended in 1973.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

None of them were drafted, and none of them joined to dodge the draft except GWB. Nixon is the only other one that could've, but he had two exemption options that he didn't exercise so it's unlikely he joined to avoid it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We're a MCB deploying to Okinawa with detachments throughout PACOM. I don't know what a honch is, nor what LHA stands for, and I don't have to so that's a positive for my day.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hope your sports car is worth it.

It's an fz-09.

Honestly though up until shipyards I was fine with the Navy. I woke up, worked, got to bro down, sit in some training and get payed decently.

I'm hoping things go back to the way they were before the yards. I know this is temporary. The navy has loving us down to a science. Right now my early rotation date is January 2017 to go to prototype and I am feeling like trying to do it.

The new coc is trying to send a first class in my division to mast for taking a pic with a sign that says "will suck dick for DD-214". It's pretty funny watching legal tell them it might not be possible. The coc is acting like a bunch of children. It is sad seeing how much they care about trying to get this guy hosed.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Yesterday, got my orders proved for a year, printed and all. Got my house reserved on base. Planned the PCS move. This morning, the orders got denied because my NOSC wants me to fly back to San Diego. Have to redo everything. This is deja vu. Back to binge watching The Flash. gently caress it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

We're a MCB deploying to Okinawa with detachments throughout PACOM. I don't know what a honch is, nor what LHA stands for, and I don't have to so that's a positive for my day.

The honch is the bar district right outside the base in yoko. You won't spend much time there unless you're just encouraging your peers to get shithoused.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Syrian Lannister posted:

I did not know that Tricky Dick or LBJ were in the Naval Reserves.

Learned something new I guess.

Tricky Dick is the loving man. Dude ran gambling parlours in AZ before the war, and on boats/in ports during. Thats how he made a big chunk of his money that he was able to campaign his way in to politics with.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I have heard multiple arguments that if Watergate was never caught we would have this current carrier named the Nixon instead of the Ford.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Double post

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 5, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Have you read the recent MOH awards? Or followed any of the awards with valor granted during the last decade?

P.S. Your doubts are dumb and sweeping. Take a second to think about the generalizations you are making.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 5, 2015

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Have you read the recent MOH awards? Or followed any of the awards with valor granted during the last decade?

P.S. Your doubts are dumb and sweeping. Aren't you an Ex-Cop IT reservist? Take a second to think about the generalizations you are making.

A total of 12,209,238 Americans were in military service by September 2, 1945, representing 9 percent of the 131,028,000 U.S. population. Cursory search shows findings of .5% of the population has served in the wars of the middle east.

http://www.historynet.com/what-percentage-of-the-population-served-in-ww2.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/opinion/americans-and-their-military-drifting-apart.html?_r=0

So no I dont see the same amount of vet presidents in the pipeline. And what does awards have anything to with this? All I said was "ww2 big. lots served. doubt so many presidents will be vets in the future"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

If you come out to Sasebo let me know and I will buy you a beer or something. I also don't know much about the navy but the amphibs are part of 7th fleet. And that's my navy jargon for the week.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 5, 2015

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

A total of 12,209,238 Americans were in military service by September 2, 1945, representing 9 percent of the 131,028,000 U.S. population. Cursory search shows findings of .5% of the population has served in the wars of the middle east.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/opinion/americans-and-their-military-drifting-apart.html?_r=0

So no I dont see the same amount of vet presidents in the pipeline. And what does awards have anything to with this? All I said was "ww2 big. lots served. doubt so many presidents will be vets in the future"

I guess when you wrote "same lot of " I stupidly thought you were discussing quality. The stuff you have in quotes is not what was posted earlier.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I guess when you wrote "same lot of " I stupidly thought you were discussing quality. The stuff you have in quotes is not what was posted earlier.

Eh. Instead of editing the statement I made I thought I would just try to reword it because I thought there might have been a misunderstanding. Sorry.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

I guess when you wrote "same lot of " I stupidly thought you were discussing quality. My bad. It was an innocuous statement to begin with and I overreacted.

Mea Culpa. I literally reposted a Facebook comment

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I guess when you wrote "same lot of " I stupidly thought you were discussing quality. My bad. It was an innocuous statement to begin with and I overreacted.

Mea Culpa. I literally reposted a Facebook comment

No worries. I'm kinda of a bad poster anyways you certainly have the benefit of the doubt that I was posting nonsense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DoublePost

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 5, 2015

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

maffew buildings posted:

lol enjoy 7th fleet liberty restrictions

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

P.S. Your doubts are dumb and sweeping. Take a second to think about the generalizations you are making.

It's my *don tinfoil headdress* hypothesis that there was a dearth of non-posrhumous moh awards early on in the war because winners tended to end up in the senate with a d next to their name.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you come out to Sasebo let me know and I will buy you a beer or something. I also don't know much about the navy but the amphibs are part of 7th fleet. And that's my navy jargon for the week.

You literally may know more about the Navy than me. I'm going to an air station as part of a six or seven person detachment, should be interesting to see what we actually (if anything) do

I will visit Sasebo and be excited to learn better knifehand techniques Gunny

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

I will visit Fukuoka

Fixed that for ya. Sasebo is alright but theres so much more to do in Fukuoka.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

loving webmail doesn't like me today. This is problematic.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

loving webmail doesn't like me today. This is problematic.

ALL. GODDAMN. DAY. atleast i'ts not just me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Sounds like a good thing to me

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Wait, there are days when webmail does work?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wait, there are days when webmail does work?

The days that don't end in Y, ha cha cha. I'll see myself out.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Anyone ever hear of someone getting mast for tattoo size being out of regs?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Grody posted:

I've seen Marines get NJPd for getting tattoos on hands and/or neck or getting sleeves and half sleeves (which are against USMC tattoo regs). Navy tattoo policy seems a bit more lax though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Grody posted:

Only time I've seen it was after a ton of other stuff that pissed off leadership.

And it was a super obvious tattoo.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Grody posted:

Are they a shitbag? Regs like that seem to be selective in that they target people a command doesn't like.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

It's an fz-09.

Honestly though up until shipyards I was fine with the Navy. I woke up, worked, got to bro down, sit in some training and get payed decently.

I'm hoping things go back to the way they were before the yards. I know this is temporary. The navy has loving us down to a science. Right now my early rotation date is January 2017 to go to prototype and I am feeling like trying to do it.

The new coc is trying to send a first class in my division to mast for taking a pic with a sign that says "will suck dick for DD-214". It's pretty funny watching legal tell them it might not be possible. The coc is acting like a bunch of children. It is sad seeing how much they care about trying to get this guy hosed.

If you liked the yards, you'll really love prototype.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
all my tattoos are out of regs and I have never caught poo poo for it. but I have caught poo poo for my hair strangely enough

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Grody posted:

One kid came back from a 4 day and had his wrist to his elbow in just the linework of characters from Kingdom Hearts and got ripped apart :lol:

I also have a ship from my wrist to my elbow that no one says a single thing about because all they notice is the slice of pizza next to it. And no, gently caress you, the ship isn't for the Navy. Also I came to the command with all my tattoos, so thats also why it's not an issue.

Also, i need more tattoos. I want to get a guy who looks kinda like waldo, so when people say "HEY ITS WALDO" I can just be like "nah gently caress you dummy, that's the dude with a cane. You so dumb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DuoGodOfDeath posted:

Fixed that for ya. Sasebo is alright but theres so much more to do in Fukuoka.

It's also an hour and a half from Sasebo and $80 in tolls if you plan on driving. :v:

I don't know how much has changed since 2008 (when I left), but it wasn't unusual for guys to rent the car at the gas station for the weekend just because you get a bunch of free toll tickets with the rental.

maffew buildings posted:

LHA's are one of your standard amphibs.

• Locked thread