Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Hiding loading is the worst loving user experience. Every time a game attempts to be a smooth experience by hiding it behind a static or cutscene it does the exact opposite of make the game appear to be responsive and well programmed.
Yes, staring at a dull screen that game seem stuck on for long periods of time is really annoying. At least if it has the word loading on it you know why it's taking so long and it's a lot easier to wait for it to pass. At least it's not something as moronic as Civ5 did which made you watch the opening cinematic which you couldn't skip until it had finished loading. Trying to skip past it before the unknown time made nothing happen, it didn't actually register that you were trying to skip the intro until it had finished loading. Of course it never you told you when it was done either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Here come some glamour shots!!

Corporate HQ Island is still a work in progress, unfortunately

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Here come some glamour shots!!

every time i see those dams i get more annoyed. WATER DRAINAGE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY :argh:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

President Ark posted:

every time i see those dams i get more annoyed. WATER DRAINAGE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY :argh:

loving for real, procedural generation does poo poo like this and it looks dumb but it's whatevs, here multiple human beings looked at this and said "yes, this is how we want our map to be." :psyduck:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

You have moon terrorists who can afford a large and constantly operating earth navy, who constantly harass the eco terrorists who control the arctic circle.

This is not a realistic game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of water I asked this earlier but seriously water sucks away all the coastal spots in temperate zones, if you build a mega-city pretty much all of them will go to those fuckers. Is there no other option later (just started my moon colony) besides straight-out buying it from the world market?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Pierson posted:

Speaking of water I asked this earlier but seriously water sucks away all the coastal spots in temperate zones, if you build a mega-city pretty much all of them will go to those fuckers. Is there no other option later (just started my moon colony) besides straight-out buying it from the world market?

buy another temperate zone, use it to produce nothing but water.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, there are only three options for temperate, aren't there? Water, Energy, and Seaweed. Energy becomes obsolete once you can beam power from the moon, and Seaweed is relatively efficient. So what's wrong with water everywhere?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Very near getting to the moon, but I'm giving up. This isn't the Anno I grew up playing. It's a fine SimCity, I'll give it that.

I feel like I lost an old friend :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, the moon is where it gets interesting since the huge costs force to actually think about what you're doing.

I've only played Anno 2070 before, but it feels to me like the gameplay is basically the same but scaled up. Instead of islands having different fertilities, you have to go to an entirely different map to find the different fertilities, and likewise trade happens on that level instead of by boats. I would say that the Arctic and Lunar citizens having only two levels of promotion is a huge problem though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What difficulty are you playing on? You might benefit from playing on Hard if you're not already.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It's definitely a good game, but it does feel notably different from 1404 or 2070. I can see where some people can slightly dislike that, depending on how they approached the series. I'm pretty indifferent, I enjoy 2205, but at the same time it makes me want to play 1404 a whole lot.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 5, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Apparently when you are 'done' with the game, there is a 12 simultaneous session 'endless mode'. Now what that really means I don't know and won't for a few days. Maybe someone who has finished the campaign (the start) can tell us.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Lorini posted:

Apparently when you are 'done' with the game, there is a 12 simultaneous session 'endless mode'. Now what that really means I don't know and won't for a few days. Maybe someone who has finished the campaign (the start) can tell us.

Nothing new happens when you finish the campaign, you just get to continue. The 12 sessions referred to the 9 player sectors where you can build stuff, the 2 crisis zones where you can shoot stuff, and the space station where you can vote on stuff. All the zones run simultaneously

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

esquilax posted:

Nothing new happens when you finish the campaign, you just get to continue. The 12 sessions referred to the 9 player sectors where you can build stuff, the 2 crisis zones where you can shoot stuff, and the space station where you can vote on stuff. All the zones run simultaneously

Thanks for clarifying that, I was curious.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I keep getting some mysterious woman reminding me about a Tynamere Hideout mission, can't find it anywhere.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It takes place in the first crisis zone.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
I imagine the tens of thousands of executives doing this all day long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY.
Kind of unfortunate that the combat does not take place on the moon where the moon terrorists are. The whole navy combat thing plays as a bad copy of Leviathan: Warships.... with moon terrorists.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ghostlight posted:

It takes place in the first crisis zone.

I'm getting some other mission there, do I just have to do it and then Tynamere will spawn?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not sure - I just clicked on it after ignoring her for a while and it was her instead of Rafferty telling me I needed to hack some computers to take down moon terrorist cove. Maybe it requires you to be on the highest crisis difficulty?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
So after a few hours of play time (about 10) I have no idea what the Steam reviews are about. No storage? There actually is one. You can see how much you have, need and overproduce. It's just in one neat bar instead of all over the place across six tabs. No micromanaging of factories? Then I'm not sure why I had to spend time fitting my producing building perfectly on that second isle in the temperate region to allow for more proper city building and a closer connection to transport. Everything feels so much more fluid and less clunky so far.

My only two beefs would be how removed and unnecessary the combat feels, and the longer loading times from having the game on a Hard Drive.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Has anyone else had their population bug out when relocating them to a different isand? Once I deleted a police station on the first island after relocating all of the executives and employees, the population on my second island acted as if they no longer had access to police services despite having a +4 surplus on the second island and registering access to it at the residences. They subsequently moved out and my credit income quickly spiraled into an unrecoverable deficit because nothing I could do would get them to actually acknowledge the police stations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Probably should have just deleted the houses and started over again. As long as they still have the same resource the population climbs pretty fast.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
EDIT: Ugh, awful app.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 5, 2015

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
EDIT: Seriously, awful app?

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 5, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The epilepsy warning that supposedly covers loading apparently doesn't delay the announcement that I have resources (that, seriously, I don't need) from the iPad app. :downs:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Is there some kind of known problem with the third dam project? Apparently the mines are in the bottom of that goddamn chasm.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Is there some kind of known problem with the third dam project? Apparently the mines are in the bottom of that goddamn chasm.

That didn't happen with me, try jumping to a different map, and jump back again?

Just to double check what you're doing: There are 3 mines at each of the dams, so if you're at one of them, it'll look like the drone is suggesting you chuck yourself off the dam and into the chasm. But just sail around to the next one, and you'll find the next set of mines.

Or are the mines actually visibly rendering at the bottom of the chasm?

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
It's a shame you can't see your trade routes in action like in the old games. Or am I missing something?

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Storage cap... Is the only way to improve it besides leveling up? If so I screwed myself pretty good not buying regions as soon as I was high enough level.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

paint dry posted:

It's a shame you can't see your trade routes in action like in the old games. Or am I missing something?

I've seen some big cargo ships travel from and to the edge of maps after setting up routes, but I'm not sure if that's related.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

That boat thing was always what made Anno for me. Them being the core to the game, in a way. I've played them all, with 1701 being my favourite. This game just kinda feels wrong. It's not a bad game, though, just not quite Anno.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

paint dry posted:

Strategic View, the orange lines pulsing between the zones are the only trade routes that I see.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Redchaostry posted:

Strategic View, the orange lines pulsing between the zones are the only trade routes that I see.

Yeah, but I was hoping to see cargo planes and space freighters and whatever. It's a minor point because there's plenty else to watch, but it was always cool to see in the previous games.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

There's plenty of traffic on the maps once you have some routes going, but it's only decorative.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Did anyone else see the DLC in the Steam Store?

TUNDRA
Expand your corporation’s dominion with the new Tundra sector Vanha Plains. Enjoy the new environment: roam the marshes, cross the fjords and observe the muskoxen. Explore the sector with your new high-tech aircraft. Establish exclusive Tundra production chains to supply production everywhere on Earth.

Big continental sector enlarges corporation
New Tundra environment offers diversity
New command aircraft strengthens vehicle gameplay
Biggest sector project so far adds story, quests and gameplay features
New character enriches the world of Anno 2205
New building type enhances production everywhere on Earth
New production chains cultivate the Tundra plains

ORBIT
Expand your corporation’s dominion into space itself. Take over the new orbital sector and build your very own space station there. Recruit the bravest men and women amongst your employees and settle them in orbit. Construct research modules to individually upgrade and tweak your space station. Supply your scientists to create powerful global research effects, boosting all of your sectors.

Unlock the new orbital sector
Create your own orbital space station
Build powerful research modules in space
Supply your scientists in orbit
Global science effects to boost all sectors

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They had announced the DLC plans about a week before release, and they will be included in what you get for the Season Pass but I don't think there has been any details since.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Really hope the DLC adds some sort of academy research / sector boosts type things similar to 2070 techs. I'm almost done with the normal campaign mode, going to try hard next, but it needs some long-term, productivity boosting goals to add the replay value that was taken away with the loss of random maps. Give me 5% booster modules to neuro implants or something.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Pierson posted:

Are you upgrading the water harvesters with the first (production level) upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man ubisoft really are evil aren't they? That's some core gameplay dlc and it's not even a week since release.

• Locked thread