Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Reclaimer posted:

The original ones took place closer to the apocalypse; could be after another hundred years or so most of the surviving energy weapons have either fallen apart or been disassembled for parts. Higher maintenance requirements were always their downfall vs. conventional small arms.

You don't have to rationalize the holy product being made by fuckers who're married to a dopey setting conceit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

There's one thing that is bugging me about the perks. Do wasteland whisperer and animal friend seem really redundant to anyone else? Seems like a waste of a perk space. Could they not have just lumped those two together and left it as the higher level one..?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:yeah:

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

This thread moved more than 800 posts in 13 hours.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Protons posted:

The game's gonna be out in like 6 days, and this is something awful.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cheap Shot posted:

There's one thing that is bugging me about the perks. Do wasteland whisperer and animal friend seem really redundant to anyone else? Seems like a waste of a perk space. Could they not have just lumped those two together and left it as the higher level one..?

Gotta fill that charisma column up with something. Personally I would have preferred animal friend worked like it used to and be more passive. I get pointing your gun at a dude and giving him orders but animals and scorpions make less sense.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah, those plus the intimidation perk seem pretty redundant. Each should be rolled in as another level in the same perk. After all, it's not like you want one of them but not the other, like with the gun specific skills.

Psychotron
Nov 25, 2007

I AM THE GERBIL GOD KAHUNA

Protons posted:

I look at this thread every couple hours and I can't keep up with it. But if you go back and look, it basically recycles itself every 50 pages or so. Same arguments. Same questions.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Energy weapons were a common occurrence in New Vegas, the game that cannot do anything bad and is 100% true to the original vision.

The reason is the same as it was with Fallout 3, it doesn't make an entire skillset completely useless for two thirds of a game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Protons posted:

THIS ISNT EVEN MY FINAL FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder how far Blitz (make VATS melee attacks from further away) works from. I'd love to be able to combine it with Action Boy or whatever and pinball around a room beating people with a barbed wire bat.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If it's anything like the other games you just teleport to them for each hit

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

ymgve posted:

Yeah, those plus the intimidation perk seem pretty redundant. Each should be rolled in as another level in the same perk. After all, it's not like you want one of them but not the other, like with the gun specific skills.

Thank god for mods.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Bholder posted:

Energy weapons were a common occurrence in New Vegas, the game that cannot do anything bad and is 100% true to the original vision.

The reason is the same as it was with Fallout 3, it doesn't make an entire skillset completely useless for two thirds of a game.

My first run of fallout 2 I tagged energy weapons, that was a learning experience.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Fun to play around with in Demo Mode for a bit. Even has the entire map of the game, though with no locations in it obviously.

Not terribly useful without the game otherwise.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

another leaked pic

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

frajaq posted:

another leaked pic

Looks like The Pitt DLC.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

My first run of fallout 2 I tagged energy weapons, that was a learning experience.

Hey fallout 2 first run mistake buddy

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I can understand the evolution of game design that would see a time period in which developers thought poo poo like this, and System Shock 2's Exotic category, was a super great idea, but to this minute it still boggles my goddamn mind that players look back on pointless system obfuscation and 'gotcha!' skills/systems with any degree of fondness.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Someone's streaming now http://cybergame.tv/thethrowawayminow

Doing house building now

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Fun to play around with in Demo Mode for a bit. Even has the entire map of the game, though with no locations in it obviously.

Not terribly useful without the game otherwise.

Button in the top right corner takes you to a menu where you can play a little arcade game.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

chaosapiant posted:

Looks like The Pitt DLC.

I should start recoloring Zeta pics and posting them on Reddit as leaked first DLC material.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ymgve posted:

Someone's streaming now http://cybergame.tv/thethrowawayminow

Doing house building now

Adventures in washed-out tv recordings

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Magmarashi posted:

I can understand the evolution of game design that would see a time period in which developers thought poo poo like this, and System Shock 2's Exotic category, was a super great idea, but to this minute it still boggles my goddamn mind that players look back on pointless system obfuscation and 'gotcha!' skills/systems with any degree of fondness.

For me it's more ambivalence than fondness. I still beat my first run even though I tagged energy weapons and got very little out of it. It's questionable design but also relatively harmless because to gimp yourself, you would have to do more than just tag a couple more useless skills.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ah yeah pip-boy app. I'm the king of missile command atomic whatevers.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bloodychill posted:

For me it's more ambivalence than fondness. I still beat my first run even though I tagged energy weapons and got very little out of it. It's questionable design but also relatively harmless because to gimp yourself, you would have to do more than just tag a couple more useless skills.

Some people get REALLY invested in the idea that being able to gently caress yourself over irrevocably is the gold standard for video games.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
cross posting this from the other thread, but gamestop has fallout 4 pipboy complete editions for 190 on sale now.. dont know how legit it is, but i picked one up just in case

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Magmarashi posted:

Some people get REALLY invested in the idea that being able to gently caress yourself over irrevocably is the gold standard for video games.

Being able to gently caress yourself over is good real good in smaller scope or faster games can be fun, particularly when it happens because of decisions you make. When it happens at the beginning of a long game because right at the beginning because you don't have much context for your decisions, obviously it's not the best.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lufiron posted:

cross posting this from the other thread, but gamestop has fallout 4 pipboy complete editions for 190 on sale now.. dont know how legit it is, but i picked one up just in case

Isn't that like 70 bucks more than what they were charging for the first run of em?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

it's fine for roguelikes but for games you play 10 or more hours per character of not so much

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Four Score posted:

Isn't that like 70 bucks more than what they were charging for the first run of em?

That extra plastic must've cost a fortune.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Being able to gently caress yourself over is good real good in smaller scope or faster games can be fun, particularly when it happens because of decisions you make. When it happens at the beginning of a long game because right at the beginning because you don't have much context for your decisions, obviously it's not the best.

halp i picked fighter in 3.x dnd and now everyone is level 10 help

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

NecroMonster posted:

halp i picked fighter in 3.x dnd and now everyone is level 10 help

I don't think anybody is gonna argue that 3.x dnd was good

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Yeah, that sorta poo poo in a roguelike is one thing, but in a goddamn RPG it's just inexcusable

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Deified Data posted:

I think most Bethesda main quests play like poo poo because we play them non-stop from start to finish

I have never, ever finished a game developed in-house by Bethesda.

I've finished Fallout New Vegas about four times that I can recall, maybe even more, and it's great every single time.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Four Score posted:

yes but you get dlc season pass and some other stuff I think the collectors edition game guide too

plus its actually available, according to them

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I don't think anybody is gonna argue that 3.x dnd was good

The majority of tabletop RPG players do, actually, which is part of why tabletop RPGs have been a dead industry for years.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Heavy Lobster posted:

The majority of tabletop RPG players do, actually, which is part of why tabletop RPGs have been a dead industry for years.

And here I thought times had changed. People actually think 3.X with its 5000 splatbooks and "if you ain't castin' you ain't poo poo" ruleset?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

I've finished Fallout New Vegas about four times that I can recall, maybe even more, and it's great every single time.
I've done about thirty playthroughs and stopped only when the mod projects I was working on stopped dead (both of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bloodychill posted:

No, I think Hitchhiker's Guide was a good template for video games in general.

• Locked thread