Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Unless the companion app lets you somehow control caravans as they go between your settlements I'm not sure what its purpose will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how far Blitz (make VATS melee attacks from further away) works from. I'd love to be able to combine it with Action Boy or whatever and pinball around a room beating people with a barbed wire bat.

The one that turns you into the guy from equilibrium sounds pretty fun, run into a room and headshot everyone.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

And here I thought times had changed. People actually think 3.X with its 5000 splatbooks and "if you ain't castin' you ain't poo poo" ruleset?

*casts Transmute Wood to Stone on NEWSPAPER while you're breezily holding it above your head, reading in the bathtub*

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

And here I thought times had changed. People actually think 3.X with its 5000 splatbooks and "if you ain't castin' you ain't poo poo" ruleset?

yep.

to the extent that the guy wotc put in charge of 4e after the creators left basically sabotaged 4e until it stopped selling

and let me tell you about the newest edition of dnd it's pretty great

kill all autistic nerds

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Unless the companion app lets you somehow control caravans as they go between your settlements I'm not sure what its purpose will be.

It's mostly just a gimmick to use instead of the in game pipboy.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Yeah, pretty much. A lot of people have moved onto Pathfinder, which is literally just a 3.5 reboot with like, I dunno, more rages per day for barbarians or what the gently caress ever trivial poo poo added, but it's still the same old caster supremacy system. WotC's marketing for 3.X was so good at drumming up a brand that it made any other D&D product they made that wasn't literally just 3.X with the serial numbers filed off dead in the water.

If you're not interested in playing D&D or D&D-alikes the TTRPG scene has never been more varied, but actually getting people who want to play anything that isn't Pathfinder or D&D 5th is the main trouble.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anyway long story short everything should stay like it was in the past and never ever attempt to improve itself or appeal to a newer audience

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I like 3.5 and play fighters or barbarians :colbert:

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

NecroMonster posted:

anyway long story short everything should stay like it was in the past and never ever attempt to improve itself or appeal to a newer audience

I agree, and I think you'll find more compelling evidence for why this is the truth in my longform Polygon article about how Dark Souls 2 is actually the worst game I've ever played, and furthermore,

RC Cola posted:

I like 3.5 and play fighters or barbarians :colbert:

Love yourself and don't.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

zzzzap

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bring back skills bethesda where are the skills im so mad

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hmph. Moving on from 2nd edition was the greatest mistake in the history of mankind :catbert:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

im glad of it

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speedball posted:

The MGSV companion app made it so you could glance at the map without entering a menu, this looks to be about the same. Nice but not incredibly helpful.

Apparently you can listen to holotapes in it, although I'm imagining there'll be less plot-critical tapes than MGSV had.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Will I even be able to run this drat game? I have an i5 3.4GHz, 8gigs, and a GeForce GTX 660. I'm somewhere on the low end of the recommended specs I think.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Wow i flip trfough 20 pages to find out no one has posted this and have to figure it out myself you knuckleheads

guy from yesterday on PC is streaming right now

http://streamcountry.com/hatenewspapers/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NecroMonster posted:

bring back skills bethesda where are the skills im so mad

In case you're not joking, what good did skills ever do in Fallout but gate you off from taking certain perks? No one was excited to level up to increase their skills, you were excited to increase your skills to a certain threshold so you could take the perk you wanted. Fallout 4 is getting rid of the middle man.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like how after removing skills bethesda then went and gated your ability to interact with locks and terminals behind perks can't take a step forward without taking half a step back

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Deified Data posted:

In case you're not joking, what good did skills ever do in Fallout but gate you off from taking certain perks? No one was excited to level up to increase their skills, you were excited to increase your skills to a certain threshold so you could take the perk you wanted. Fallout 4 is getting rid of the middle man.

They provided a nice sense that your character was gradually getting more, dare I say... skilled? With a pistol and a 10 in firearms you're a wobbly armed weenie of the wastes. With a 100 you feel like a bad motherfucker and when you whip out your six shooter folks better stand aside.

I fear that perks alone will make that progression seem more contrived.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looks like mole rats can spawn straight from the ground. Nasty.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

I wonder how much ammo will be available for it this time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

oblivion modelled you the character getting better at picking locks by you the player getting better at the lockpick minigame. Or just finding the Daedric skeleton key and mashing square until it worked.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Obsidian got cucked by Beth.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

oblivion modelled you the character getting better at picking locks by you the player getting better at the lockpick minigame. Or just finding the Daedric skeleton key and mashing square until it worked.

In Oblivion level scaling just made you weaker the more you advanced.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
this radio station sucks and the DJ is so cringe worhty omgfgggg how is this in a fuckin video game is beyond me. It is like someone made a mod ... after a song called "Rocket 69" the DJ goes "Eheh... rocket .... 69 ^_^ and starts giggling and then makes a creepy comment and it switches to another lovely out of place song

No offense I want to love this game and I have purchased it under m thumb BUT I HATE this radio shits

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Meowbot posted:

Wow i flip trfough 20 pages to find out no one has posted this and have to figure it out myself you knuckleheads

guy from yesterday on PC is streaming right now

http://streamcountry.com/hatenewspapers/

BONGO BONGO BONGO I DON'T WANNA LEAVE THE CONGO

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

They provided a nice sense that your character was gradually getting more, dare I say... skilled? With a pistol and a 10 in firearms you're a wobbly armed weenie of the wastes. With a 100 you feel like a bad motherfucker and when you whip out your six shooter folks better stand aside.

I fear that perks alone will make that progression seem more contrived.

I guess I don't see it. Instead of leveling your guns to 25 to get the next significant damage bonus you take a perk that does the same thing. If this were an Elder Scrolls-like system where your skills increase between level ups you might have a point, but you never felt the skill increase in Fallout until after you'd leveled up and allocated your skill points anyway. The difference between increasing your effectiveness between level ups using skills or by selecting a perk seems negligible to me - either way it's an instant jump in advancement.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
At least that looks like a great gun once known as Noisy Cricket. Let me stick a silencer on it to complete the look. But by Jove, is that UFO tiny.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Magmarashi posted:

Tune into stream twice

immediately hear 'butcher pete' twice

sounds about right

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Tune into stream twice

immediately hear 'butcher pete' twice

sounds about right

They have part 2 of Butcher Pete, too

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I've heard more repeats than new songs on this stream

Also the new DJ is so gloriously awful, I can't wait to read goonrage over how he jokes about Rocket 69.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Butcher Pete Part 2 HYPE!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sighence posted:

I've heard more repeats than new songs on this stream

Also the new DJ is so gloriously awful, I can't wait to read goonrage over how he jokes about Rocket 69.

I do dig the classic rock and roll, though

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I do dig the classic rock and roll, though

yeah, some of these songs are real good

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
New Nvidia drivers are out with a Fallout 4 profile.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

oh man, the DJ is awesome

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Magmarashi posted:

What the gently caress is up with that DJ? I keep thinking the station is fake and it's just the streamer messing with us.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bleh, the stream is just a guy messing around in junk piles and not actually accomplishing anything. Bo-ring. I mean, I'M going to do that when I do it, but at least then I'll know what the hell I want to be doing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Protons posted:

Will I even be able to run this drat game? I have an i5 3.4GHz, 8gigs, and a GeForce GTX 660. I'm somewhere on the low end of the recommended specs I think.
Specs for CPU are inflated. It'll probably run on something as low as a Core 2 Quad, but the video card recs have standard Bethesda trigger warnings due to incompetent use of GPU tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I can't watch this dude play. He's so so bad at the game. He just opened VATS, saw that a raiders head had a 1% chance to hit, and continued to select it until he was out of AP and... just did it anyway...

• Locked thread