Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente posted:

Texans. And not very nice ones, at that.

Correct. Brady won the assignment today, making it seven of them chairing committees total.

But I was wrong about there being only one select committee. That's true at the moment, but there's about to be a second. Here are the list of Democrats who will serve on it, via Pelosi (she did not use the official committee name):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Why? I hope you asked the bastard why.

He's an affordable housing guy who doesn't know me at all. All he knows is the joke campaign he sees and that we both hate the same tea party douches in town.

2 or 3 of the city councilors who won last night and 2 who lost wrote my name in because they actually somewhat know me and my history.

Should I make a separate thread?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm sure it's too much to hope that Carson is a deep cover sleeper agent with all that abject stupidity, right? :( Like if he wins the nomination and the election he will use his inauguration to announce his support for single payer health care or something.

He's Dubya 2.0

Really scary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RuanGacho posted:

Texas owes us all big time for putting up with this poo poo.

Should never have accepted them into the Union. Damned serial secessionists. Secede once, shame on you. Secede twice..

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Correct. Brady won the assignment today, making it seven of them chairing committees total.

But I was wrong about there being only one select committee. That's true at the moment, but there's about to be a second. Here are the list of Democrats who will serve on it, via Pelosi (she did not use the official committee name):

Wait is that the actual name of the committee?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Pelosi owns. I hope she gets to be Speaker again before she retires.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

We should have followed the word of Franklin and made the turkey our national bird. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Should never have accepted them into the Union. Damned serial secessionists. Secede once, shame on you. Secede twice..

Won't get fooled again?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

McAlister posted:

Like I never thought about using my grandmas word for "stingy" till someone pointed out to me it's based on the n-word and then I was embarrassed I'd used it and stopped doing so. If you actually aren't -ist you want people to point out poo poo like that so that you don't present like an -ist.

Actually those two words are etymologically unrelated. Still probably best not to use if only to prevent misunderstandings.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Pillowpants posted:

He's an affordable housing guy who doesn't know me at all. All he knows is the joke campaign he sees and that we both hate the same tea party douches in town.

2 or 3 of the city councilors who won last night and 2 who lost wrote my name in because they actually somewhat know me and my history.

Only if you promise to accept the Housing Authority seat you won :colbert:.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
Louisiana Cops Kill 6-year-old Boy After Car Chase With Father

quote:

Police in Louisiana shot and killed a 6-year-old boy Tuesday after opening fire on a car during a nighttime chase, authorities said.

The boy's father, who was at the wheel, was also hit, and was hospitalized in critical condition, authorities said.

The shooting unfolded at 9:30 p.m. CT, after officers in the city of Marksville opened fire at the conclusion of the chase, state police said.

The state police did not explain the reason for the chase, or the circumstances that caused the officers to shoot at the car.

Local NBC affiliate WDSU reported that the car backed into the officers on a dead-end street.

The station quoted the Avoyelles Parish coroner's office as saying the boy was accidentally shot by the officers.

The office identified the boy as Jeremy David Mardis and said he was shot five times in the head and chest. His father was identified as Chris Few.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/breaking-police-shoot-6-yo-boy-head-multiple-times-killing/

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ben Franklin was right, we shoulda gone for the Turkey for our national bird.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

How do they explain that he was shot 5 times in the head and in the chest. Ugh gently caress this.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Another thug bites the dust. Unfortunate about the child. Clean shoot. Etc.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Did you guys know that there's an official Jim Webb discussion forum?

http://jimwebbvote2016.com/#discussions.1

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

How do they explain that he was shot 5 times in the head and in the chest. Ugh gently caress this.

He was no angel.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Does Jim Webb know?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

JT Jag posted:

Actually, we should increase Congress' wage, publicly fund all elections, and make the purchasing or selling of influence (all political donations and favors) a felony.

Also make insider trading laws apply to congressmen

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SLOSifl posted:

Let me guess - they have somehow negative understanding of the topics they purport to represent in such committees?
That was going to be my answer and I think we should get half a point as it's still technically correct :hfive:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Ugh I have to be approved by a moderator, now I'll never be able to start a Coast to Coast AM thread and ask Jim where he stands on UFO sightings.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pillowpants posted:

Oh. Color me surprised. I was expecting he let loose with a proof of ignorance so profound not even poor people could get a pass on account of somehow being too poor (as opposed to ignorant and spiteful) to know what side of the class war they're on.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Didn't see this posted yet: 4 people got stabbed today at UC Merced.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

He was no angel.

He is now though.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Psch, I'm waiting for the photo of him flashing his middle finger.

So lovely :smith:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hollismason posted:

Probably the same of how the Cleveland chase went down: they just indiscriminately unloaded bullets into the car.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
But wait guys this kid was obviously a thug, he just had that thug look to him. #AllLivesMatter

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wouldn't have happened if they had knives.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Combine that with local pundit Jim Engster predicting an Edwards win (https://www.businessreport.com/article/edwards-will-win-governors-race-engster-predicts), that's a definite good sign for Edwards.

Now if Angelle endorses Edwards too, Vitter is going to be scrambling big time. However, having Dardenne and Angelle basically telling their voters that it's ok to vote for a Democrat is going to be close to game over for Vitter unless Edwards does something huge to mess it up.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
If only he had a gun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Silly Burrito posted:

Combine that with local pundit Jim Engster predicting an Edwards win (https://www.businessreport.com/article/edwards-will-win-governors-race-engster-predicts), that's a definite good sign for Edwards.

Now if Angelle endorses Edwards too, Vitter is going to be scrambling big time. However, having Dardenne and Angelle basically telling their voters that it's ok to vote for a Democrat is going to be close to game over for Vitter unless Edwards does something huge to mess it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some late breaking exposes on Vitter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fits my needs posted:

Another thug bites the dust. Unfortunate about the child. Clean shoot. Etc.

A Winner is Jew posted:

He was no angel.

DemeaninDemon posted:

He is now though.

Logikv9 posted:

But wait guys this kid was obviously a thug, he just had that thug look to him. #AllLivesMatter

I...I think I'm done in D&D for a while. For a minute there, I was blindingly angry. I was seriously going to go off on a rant for all these reaction posts until my mind snapped back into reality that this is a comedy forum, and this is our lovely way of coping.

These things are just so draining sometimes...

:smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AlternateNu posted:

I...I think I'm done in D&D for a while. For a minute there, I was blindingly angry. I was seriously going to go off on a rant for all these reaction posts until my mind snapped back into reality that this is a comedy forum, and this is our lovely way of coping.

These things are just so draining sometimes...

:smith:

To be fair, this ironic reaction to every child death by cops is starting to get tiresome and repetitive.

On the other hand, so is the repeated child death by cops.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To be fair, this ironic reaction to every child death by cops is starting to get tiresome and repetitive.

On the other hand, so is the repeated child death by cops.

Yea it's for sure one of those 'ok we get it the media is loving horrible' things, but also, maybe it wouldn't be so driven into the ground if cops weren't murdering children constantly!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I feel awful for the boy's family but I also feel awful for those cops. Imagine the horror upon discovering that you killed a six year old child. It's very likely that the cops were too quick on the trigger, but of course they never intended to murder a child. Just a tragic situation for everyone involved.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Have shootings by cops increased or decreased since the 70s like is it on the actual rise or are we just exposed to it more.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Have shootings by cops increased or decreased since the 70s like is it on the actual rise or are we just exposed to it more.

There's no way to know because, for some weird reason, nobody kept statistics on it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

There's no way to know because, for some weird reason, nobody kept statistics on it.

Plus, see people's reactions to the notion that cops might hypothetically not be using force appropriately with the availability of contrary footage. Just imagine what it was like without cellphone cameras in most pockets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

I recall that someone was able to get regional statistics by looking through crime reports and FOIA but that was it.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Plus, see people's reactions to the notion that cops might hypothetically not be using force appropriately with the availability of contrary footage. Just imagine what it was like without cellphone cameras in most pockets.

It was pretty commmon in the 80s for people to be disappeared by the New Orleans Police Department so much that they started referring to the Bayou Sauvage as the Police Graveyard.

There's a lot of loving bodies in Bayou Sauvage.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 5, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quotes of the night:

quote:

Speaking of Cheney, who was vice president under President George W. Bush, the senior Bush said: "I don't know, he just became very hard-line and very different from the Dick Cheney I knew and worked with," according to the report.

Cheney served as defense secretary during George H.W. Bush's 1989-1993 presidency.

"The reaction (to Sept. 11), what to do about the Middle East. Just iron-rear end. His seeming knuckling under to the real hard-charging guys who want to fight about everything, use force to get our way in the Middle East," [George H.W.] Bush told Meacham in the book to be published next Tuesday.

Bush believes Cheney acted too independently of his son by creating a national security team in his own office, and may have been influenced to become more conservative by his wife and daughter, Lynne and Liz Cheney, the report cites the biography as saying.

On Rumsfeld, secretary of defense for most of the two terms served by his son, Bush is even more critical. He is quoted as saying: "I don't like what he did, and I think it hurt the President," referring to his son.

"I've never been that close to him anyway. There's a lack of humility, a lack of seeing what the other guy thinks. He's more kick rear end and take names, take numbers. I think he paid a price for that. Rumsfeld was an arrogant fellow," he was quoted as saying in the biography.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look forward to Cheney calling HW the second worst president of his lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Unicode emoticon #rachel_maddow

I can't wait for Jon Stewart on HBO. God I hope he's on the air by this election.

If it's any consolation for yesterday's election results, probably 60% of 2015 election voters will die from old age. The rest will die from pre-existing conditions covered by the Medicaid they just destroyed.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread