Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So how is impass? I know that is a vague as all hell question but does it have things in place to stop one side from getting to overpowered and just steamrolling the later scenarios?
How is the replayability?

I can't speak to replayability, as I'm still in my first run; but it's fun. And yeah, there are some anti-steamroll features. The imperial player gets more threat to spend on deploying stuff to take on the rebels, and the rebels get more gear to fight the imperials with as the campaign goes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are the expansions reasonably balanced?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are the expansions reasonably balanced?

The little figure expansions are, yeah. Can't say anything about Twin Shadows though; haven't bought it yet

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

How in the world are they managing all of that?!

Different design teams for each product I assume. The one I really wonder about is Christian Peterson; I've heard in such a way as to believe it that he loves to meddle in the rules of every product his company designs.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Essentially the "anti-steamrolling" mechanic is that even if you ARE getting steamrolled you will still get some kind of reward, just not as much as if you had been winning though. The replayability of just the main game is good for at least 2 playthroughs since there are 2 different versions of the final mission. More than that might be a bit repetitive since the main story (if you really want to call it that) doesn't change at all and the overall balance of each individual mission is all over the place. Overall though as sombody that never did play Descent originally i would say that this is a pretty good drat game!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
FFG's next release will be Star Wars branded mortgages! I'll be here all week.

Anyway, this worked in the X-wing thread, so I thought I'd try it here; I'm dumping my Armada stuff: One Starter box, one additional Victory, one Gladiator, 2 Imperial Fighter boxes, extra dice pack, an Armada dice bag, alternate art Tie Fighter card, and a die I painted orange and blue to use as a round counter. I only have the packaging for the Starter but everything is in good condition. I'd like $125 via Paypal and I'll cover shipping in US, PM me if interested.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So how is impass? I know that is a vague as all hell question but does it have things in place to stop one side from getting to overpowered and just steamrolling the later scenarios?
How is the replayability?

ImpAss is great fun, but it's best if you have the full five people to play, or have people play multiple characters. We're not quite halfway into the core campaign but we haven't had huge balance issues. Replay-ability will be pretty high since the campaign flow will be different just based on what Rebels are playing, what side missions have been chosen, what forced missions there are and who wins what mission. Having Twin Shadows and ally and villain packs will add a lot of variety as well. Like HOOLY said, the rewards for winning or losing aren't gigantic for either side, though there are a lot of 1 time use cards the Imperial player is using.

A lot of balance is based on the individual missions. If there's a time limit to the mission, the Rebels will have a harder time of it, but if there's no time limit the Rebels have a lot more freedom to heal and move tactically.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

A lot of balance is based on the individual missions. If there's a time limit to the mission, the Rebels will have a harder time of it, but if there's no time limit the Rebels have a lot more freedom to heal and move tactically.

It's been my conclusion that missions without an anti-rebel time limit are basically impossible for the imperial player to win if the rebels are any good at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is the core of it in my experience so far. The only mission the rebels lost was the initial one with the 6 turn time limit to hit a bunch of computers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I found the very first Twin Shadows mini-campaign mission to be incredibly, unbelievably bad for the Imperials. The Rebels absolutely wiped the floor with me (the Imperial player) because you're simply not given enough forces and a decent deployment point to stop them from running to the objective and winning.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Looking forward to getting this with the Finalizer title and Kylo Ren commander card

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Definitely looking forward to seeing stuff from the Force Awakens showing up in X-Wing, Armada, and ImpAss. I wonder how they'd handle it in Imperial Assault, since it takes a long time after the original trilogy. An expansion or perhaps a new core set?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Definitely looking forward to seeing stuff from the Force Awakens showing up in X-Wing, Armada, and ImpAss. I wonder how they'd handle it in Imperial Assault, since it takes a long time after the original trilogy. An expansion or perhaps a new core set?

That'd be my guess yeah, a new full-length core set maybe or big box expac ala Hoth. They've already taken timelines into account with ImpAss since each set denotes where in the chronology its supposed to take place (so you probably aren't gonna be mixing core set/Twin Shadows with Return to Hoth since the initial stuff is set around Episode 4 and Hoth will obviously be set after Episode 5).

I'm still holding out for a Star Wars: Rebels expansion myself.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

That'd be my guess yeah, a new full-length core set maybe or big box expac ala Hoth. They've already taken timelines into account with ImpAss since each set denotes where in the chronology its supposed to take place (so you probably aren't gonna be mixing core set/Twin Shadows with Return to Hoth since the initial stuff is set around Episode 4 and Hoth will obviously be set after Episode 5).

I'm still holding out for a Star Wars: Rebels expansion myself.

A Rebels expansion would be perfect

Minifigs of the main crew

Ashoka Tano and Chopper as campaign allies

Inquisitor and Agent Kallus as villains

You could have some real fun with this set. A Lothal tileset on one side, abandoned republic base on the other side

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Time travel subplot. They'll go 16 parsecs into the past.

The only way to power the hyperdrive up again will be to hook a coat hanger over the railing of the bottomless pit on the deathstar while the Emperor uses force-lightning to develop the necessary 1.21 gigawatts to cause the midicholorians to force-warp them back to the future.

I'm ready, Hollywood. Hire me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Looking forward to getting this with the Finalizer title and Kylo Ren commander card

The Finalizer? Is that really the name of the ship?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, sadly.

Seems the Empire lost all ability to name cool things when they split into factions.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

drunkill posted:

Yes, sadly.

Seems the Empire lost all ability to name cool things when they split into factions.

Let's be honest here: the Dark Side has never been great with naming rights. This is a Universe where we could get a character named Darth Villian and no one would bat an eye.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well the Empire didn't name their leader. I just meant ship/weapon names and such.

The Royal Navy naming scheme of the OT is great. Finalizer is American, doesn't fit the Space British Empire.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

drunkill posted:

Well the Empire didn't name their leader. I just meant ship/weapon names and such.

The Royal Navy naming scheme of the OT is great. Finalizer is American, doesn't fit the Space British Empire.

There are so many great RN ships to name it after! Like the HMS Gay Viking, HMS Gay Bruiser, HMS Woodcock, HMS Cockchafer, or HMS Spanker

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

drunkill posted:

If it was American naming conventions we'd get the Star Destroyer Sheev Palpatine.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

susan posted:

Let's be honest here: the Dark Side has never been great with naming rights. This is a Universe where we could get a character named Darth Villian and no one would bat an eye.

Hey we've got this thing that Crushes Suns, what should we call it?

We built another death star, what should we call it?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can those things even DESTROY an actual STAR anyway?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wrong kinda destroyer

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Yeah, ok, but then there was a 'Super Star Destroyer' that was the size of 40 of them lined up, and that makes no sense.

Plus they launch fighters like a carrier. And carry troops like a man o war. And I mean an age of sail man o war.

I'm no scientist. I'm just a humble internet creten. But I think they're named after 2 words that sound cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

This is the biggest problem, if it was Finaliser it'd fit in ok

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Nah, American ships tend to be named after people, places, events, or (occasionally) animals. Almost exclusively one of those, in fact. The UK does names that are qualities like "Victorious" and "Resolute", so "Finalizer" seems to fit that mode. It still sounds imperious and full of itself. Also, am I the only one who thinks it kinda looks like a Victory Star Destroyer with added bits welded to the front edge?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cobbsprite posted:

Nah, American ships tend to be named after people, places, events, or (occasionally) animals. Almost exclusively one of those, in fact. The UK does names that are qualities like "Victorious" and "Resolute", so "Finalizer" seems to fit that mode. It still sounds imperious and full of itself. Also, am I the only one who thinks it kinda looks like a Victory Star Destroyer with added bits welded to the front edge?

I do agree, but you missed what I was saying, it's the spelling that is the issue. Finalizer is American, Finaliser is British and Commonwealth. Small detail, but in a franchise like this the small details are killer.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

NTRabbit posted:

I do agree, but you missed what I was saying, it's the spelling that is the issue. Finalizer is American, Finaliser is British and Commonwealth. Small detail, but in a franchise like this the small details are killer.

Aurabesh is phonetically translated by your droid to your local culture. Perhaps it has malfunctioned or substituted en-RebelAlliance for en-Imperial?

Please report to a detention center.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If the Expanded Universe has taught us anything it's that Star Wars can only benefit from obsession with small details.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kai Tave posted:

If the Expanded Universe has taught us anything it's that Star Wars can only benefit from obsession with small details.

I've never read a single piece of the EU, so I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

NTRabbit posted:

If it's anything like the last six movies it won't even be spoken on-screen, much less shown in writing, so it actually doesn't matter one bit.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Devlan Mud posted:

If it's anything like the last six movies it won't even be spoken on-screen, much less shown in writing, so it actually doesn't matter one bit.

It'll be on a title card, so yes it does :colbert:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Princess Leia ImpAss preview is up!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/6/the-rebel-diplomat/

Pretty useful surge abilities, especially being able to exhaust an Imperial class card

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Disappointed no 'Walking Carpet' Wookie synergy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How is Imperial Assault's skirmish balance BTW? I know there was a broken strategy a while back but they patched it, is it worth picking up for that?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I played ImpAss skirmish once and wasn't super impressed. I steamrolled the guy teaching me without even really trying to, he asked if I wanted to be Rebels or Imperials and I shrugged and said Imperials, so it was Darth Vader, a couple Royal Guardsmen, and some Stormtroopers against Luke Skywalker and a collection of Rebel characters from the base campaign game done up for skirmish play. The mission we were doing was something like there was a transport in the center of the map and whoever had more units adjacent to it at the end of each round would get a victory point.

"So what happens if one side just kills the other completely?," I ask.

"Oh, they win the game then."

So that's what I did, I ignored the objective and spent all my time focus-firing down one unit after the other, Darth Vader wrecking poo poo and it all seemed very perfunctory. It doesn't seem like there's the same level of depth or skill required of, say, X-Wing where you're trying to feint and outmaneuver each other to set up ideal firing solutions, here it was just "I guess I'll shoot with my shootmans and move up and hit people with my melee guys, maybe I have a randomly drawn card that does a thing, and we all wind up in a big scrum in the middle and then it's a damage race." This may not be indicative of the game as a whole for all I know, but if a complete newbie can, without even really intending to, just walk all over someone who's played the game much more frequently then either the game's balance has some issues or the guy teaching me just sucked.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I played ImpAss skirmish once and wasn't super impressed. I steamrolled the guy teaching me without even really trying to, he asked if I wanted to be Rebels or Imperials and I shrugged and said Imperials, so it was Darth Vader, a couple Royal Guardsmen, and some Stormtroopers against Luke Skywalker and a collection of Rebel characters from the base campaign game done up for skirmish play. The mission we were doing was something like there was a transport in the center of the map and whoever had more units adjacent to it at the end of each round would get a victory point.

"So what happens if one side just kills the other completely?," I ask.

"Oh, they win the game then."

So that's what I did, I ignored the objective and spent all my time focus-firing down one unit after the other, Darth Vader wrecking poo poo and it all seemed very perfunctory. It doesn't seem like there's the same level of depth or skill required of, say, X-Wing where you're trying to feint and outmaneuver each other to set up ideal firing solutions, here it was just "I guess I'll shoot with my shootmans and move up and hit people with my melee guys, maybe I have a randomly drawn card that does a thing, and we all wind up in a big scrum in the middle and then it's a damage race." This may not be indicative of the game as a whole for all I know, but if a complete newbie can, without even really intending to, just walk all over someone who's played the game much more frequently then either the game's balance has some issues or the guy teaching me just sucked.

The two black defense die on vader makes him pretty insane in skirmish and the amount of health each Imp Guard is also ridiculous from when I played the suggested learning skirmish battle. It's pretty simple compared to the other FF Star Wars tabletop games, more like a value add to the campaign that you can play in a shorter period of time. The strength of skirmish I think is getting units (and their minifigs) that you usually don't get to roll out together in campaign to battle.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The two black defense die on vader makes him pretty insane in skirmish and the amount of health each Imp Guard is also ridiculous from when I played the suggested learning skirmish battle. It's pretty simple compared to the other FF Star Wars tabletop games, more like a value add to the campaign that you can play in a shorter period of time. The strength of skirmish I think is getting units (and their minifigs) that you usually don't get to roll out together in campaign to battle.

Yeah, I mean I gather the focus of ImpAss lies squarely on the campaign side of things for which I imagine the way things are set up works better...heroes getting a second "life" each, specific deployment restrictions on the Imperial player's end, the XP advancements on both sides, etc. Skirmish seems like an afterthought, though I see enough articles on FFG's site that suggests they're at least trying to present ImpAss skirmish as a competitive game full of tactics and strategy so I dunno. I personally wouldn't recommend that anyone get into the game for the skirmish side of things primarily, but I guess if you already own it and have some time to kill there are worse games to play?

I feel like the seed of a good game is there, maybe. Instead of a simple deathmatch with a token secondary VP objective I'm imagining something like an extremely pared down version of the campaign where you have a scenario that has multiple objectives...think an Assault match in an FPS where you have one team playing the defender and one playing the aggressor and both have to do their own thing...and in addition to powerful unique characters each player can also accrue points over the course of play to bring in generic reinforcements similar to the way the Imperial player in the campaign can spend accrued points to call in more Stormtroopers. So then it becomes less a matter of just going and smashing face and more a matter of "well you can spend most of your points on having Darth Vader and some Stormtrooper escorts but he's one guy and you have to complete objectives X, Y, and Z, meanwhile the Rebels are running all over the map and setting up defenses and trying to complete objectives of their own." Of course, at that point you aren't looking at something quick and breezy anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I mean I gather the focus of ImpAss lies squarely on the campaign side of things for which I imagine the way things are set up works better...heroes getting a second "life" each, specific deployment restrictions on the Imperial player's end, the XP advancements on both sides, etc. Skirmish seems like an afterthought, though I see enough articles on FFG's site that suggests they're at least trying to present ImpAss skirmish as a competitive game full of tactics and strategy so I dunno. I personally wouldn't recommend that anyone get into the game for the skirmish side of things primarily, but I guess if you already own it and have some time to kill there are worse games to play?

I feel like the seed of a good game is there, maybe. Instead of a simple deathmatch with a token secondary VP objective I'm imagining something like an extremely pared down version of the campaign where you have a scenario that has multiple objectives...think an Assault match in an FPS where you have one team playing the defender and one playing the aggressor and both have to do their own thing...and in addition to powerful unique characters each player can also accrue points over the course of play to bring in generic reinforcements similar to the way the Imperial player in the campaign can spend accrued points to call in more Stormtroopers. So then it becomes less a matter of just going and smashing face and more a matter of "well you can spend most of your points on having Darth Vader and some Stormtrooper escorts but he's one guy and you have to complete objectives X, Y, and Z, meanwhile the Rebels are running all over the map and setting up defenses and trying to complete objectives of their own." Of course, at that point you aren't looking at something quick and breezy anymore.

The nice thing about skirmish is that aside from the command cards you're bringing there isn't a lot of fiddly things like what character is wearing what weapon and what skills they've purchased. A side mission type skirmish mode with more defined roles and rules like you've said would be a lot of fun.

They are introducing 4 player skirmish with Return to Hoth, but reinforcements and defending/attacking objectives would be even better