Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

homullus posted:

"From what I saw on Tabletop" is about as much research as "from what I saw on Fox News." Fox News does indeed report news, and Tabletop plays games. You can learn things from them. You are totally taking crazy pills if you think either of those counts for forming a semi-educated opinion on something.

I agree it would have been better to ask him why he thought it would get boring than to tell him to go spend money on something he already said he didn't want.

It's a 40 second long party game, the bar for "see how this game works" is pretty loving low dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theroachman posted:

What's Tiny Epic Defenders like? The rating on BGG is 6.64, not very high, but I'm wondering what you guys think of it. I know Tiny Epic Galaxies wasn't very well received here, but Tiny Epic Kingdoms got at least some praise.

I'm asking because my collection is missing one of those short games that you can play on a very small table (like love letter or coup). Seems like Tiny Epic Defenders fits that bill, sort of.

Sushi Go is a great game for this. It has a tiny footprint, plays in about 15 minutes, and I've only introduced it to a few people who didn't like it.

Edit: two more controversial picks would be Bohnanza and Circu Flohcati. I've definitely seen some dislike for those on here, but I personally enjoy both.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Love letter is great, cheap, fast, takes 30 seconds to teach. Fits in your hipster pocket, I love playing it at breweries sampling beer (the often have poo poo dominos checkers, games for people laying around)

I don't know why you wouldnt have it unless it's a hipster badge of honor to not be on the bandwagon.

It doesn't get boring, the worst it gets is you counting to yourself having a 50/50 chance that they have a certain card. You can't solve it, you can bluff and take chances.

Get the Japanese art one.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 4, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Sushi Go is a great game for this. It has a tiny footprint, plays in about 15 minutes, and I've only introduced it to a few people who didn't like it.

Edit: two more controversial picks would be Bohnanza and Circu Flohcati. I've definitely seen some dislike for those on here, but I personally enjoy both.

I like Bohnanza, but it can take a little while to play out, though. I feel like it's about an hour or more IIRC

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Countblanc posted:

It's a 40 second long party game, the bar for "see how this game works" is pretty loving low dude

Counterpoint: Tabletop is not a good show for seeing how a game works.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

theroachman posted:

I'm asking because my collection is missing one of those short games that you can play on a very small table (like love letter or coup). Seems like Tiny Epic Defenders fits that bill, sort of.

Skull is also good in this role

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bohnanza might be too structured for complete newbies, but it's a far better game than LL. Skull is also pretty good.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Bohnanza might be too structured for complete newbies, but it's a far better game than LL.

Pretty much anything is a better game than Love Letter. Love Letter is a terrible game. If Love Letter took 5 minutes per round, I would never play it. If Love Letter cost $20 I wouldn't recommend people buy it.

But it takes 2 minutes per round and it costs $10. We play it in the time it takes to set up the filler game we're playing while waiting for people to arrive to pick the real game. There's not much it's competing with in this space, and every once in a while something entertaining (or clever) happens in LL that pays you off for the more common dull rounds.

Some people are apparently enthusiastic about Love Letter, or play multiple rounds of it for an hour or something. I don't really get this - but I think the game definitely has a place. Also, Lost Legacy is hyper terrible. As simple as the LL formula is, it is apparently possible to screw it up.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Counterpoint, get one of the other ones that doesn't gently caress up the rules for the Countess.

(Double counterpoint - check out No Thanks! It's a better game you can play with non-gamers in a similar time span and has rules your grandmother can get because she doesn't have to read small text on cards.)

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 4, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pimpmust posted:

Jul times are fast approaching, a merry time when Pimps all around the world prepare gifts for friends and foes alike.

:spidey: A tiny knock from inside my phone: "Yo, a big box just arrived, handmade inside a chinese sweatshop - pick it up, A.S.A.P.", a jaunt across the street, a heavy haulin' later - So huge, so swole this box is; I better get my big knife! I wonder; what could it be?

:coffeepal:

How is Pandemic Legacy? I just read a quick write-up on it and it sounds pretty loving baller.

I'm a little hesitant to drop a ton of money on a game that only has limited plays and you permanently change stuff, but that also sounds really fun and how many times do I play the board games I have anyways?

Whats the difference between the red and blue boards? Just cosmetic or no?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 4, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Hmm, some of you mentioned the evolving meta, I hadn't considered that. It's a thing that happens with Coup as well, except that it gets pushed into a certain corner (everyone bluffing Duke at the start, always bluffing Captain when you get Captained, etc) which is very hard to get out of. I got bored with it because we've been stuck in the same meta for a while now. Replacing Ambassador with Inquisitor helped a little but not for very long. The point is, if the meta in LL keeps moving naturally, that's a plus. And the game being 'unsolvable' works a long way towards fast play and replay value. Which is important for a game that fits into this niche. Anyway, lots of mixed signals ITT, which is a good thing of course. If I see LL in a trade list on BGG I wont hesitate. Also added to the shortlist: Bohnanza (played ages ago, liked it), Skull, Sushi Go, Biblios.

Thanks for the tips y'all!

homullus posted:

"From what I saw on Tabletop" is about as much research as "from what I saw on Fox News." Fox News does indeed report news, and Tabletop plays games. You can learn things from them. You are totally taking crazy pills if you think either of those counts for forming a semi-educated opinion on something.

Don't worry, that's why I'm here asking for opinions, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

How is Pandemic Legacy? I just read a quick write-up on it and it sounds pretty loving baller.

I'm a little hesitant to drop a ton of money on a game that only has limited plays and you permanently change stuff, but that also sounds really fun and how many times do I play the board games I have anyways?

Whats the difference between the red and blue boards? Just cosmetic or no?

No difference between the two boxes, just a personal preference.

As for limited plays, think about how often you actually play a board game. Generally speaking, 12-24 plays of a game is at least a few months worth of entertainment; and if Pandemic Legacy is anything like Risk Legacy, you can continue to play on the final board once you're done with the changes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

theroachman posted:

Hmm, some of you mentioned the evolving meta, I hadn't considered that. It's a thing that happens with Coup as well, except that it gets pushed into a certain corner (everyone bluffing Duke at the start, always bluffing Captain when you get Captained, etc) which is very hard to get out of. I got bored with it because we've been stuck in the same meta for a while now. Replacing Ambassador with Inquisitor helped a little but not for very long. The point is, if the meta in LL keeps moving naturally, that's a plus. And the game being 'unsolvable' works a long way towards fast play and replay value. Which is important for a game that fits into this niche. Anyway, lots of mixed signals ITT, which is a good thing of course. If I see LL in a trade list on BGG I wont hesitate. Also added to the shortlist: Bohnanza (played ages ago, liked it), Skull, Sushi Go, Biblios.

Thanks for the tips y'all!

Don't worry, that's why I'm here asking for opinions, right?

We're good! Also "I don't want that game" is always a good reason not to buy it, even if it's only $15.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey I grabbed the MtG Arena of the Planeswalkers game for $30 because it comes with 35 minis that I can use as stand ins for other stuff....but is the game itself any good? I played it once as a 2p game but I'm not sure we got the rules right, there's costs on cards but it didn't seem to matter outside of building your forces. The pro strategy seemed to be an obvious one: pick your Planeswalker for your first several turns and summon strong guys as far ahead of you as you can before you move behind them. Then when you have 3x of something that hits hard and has decent mobility (like Jace's four armed things that move through figs and can't be base locked) select that army, rush the opposing planeswalker, and paste them with all three attacks.

That...can't be right, can it? I mean WotC's Magic branch is psychotic about game balance and depth...

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

theroachman posted:

Also added to the shortlist: Bohnanza (played ages ago, liked it), Skull, Sushi Go, Biblios.

No Thanks! and Linko would be great additions as well.

I got Frank's Zoo, 6 Nimmt, and Mu and Lots More -- soon they will all be mine fozzy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Any goony hands on with T.I.M.E.?

Every reviewer says its a great experience while it lasts. Then says something along the lines of "I got this for free, but its totally worth the money I didnt spend for 1 game"

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Every reviewer says its a great experience while it lasts.

Not even SU&SD could recommend it? What reviewers were you watching?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Every other review on youtube or podcast? SU SD was the weakest and there review was still. "Its amazing, until it got repetitive at hour 4 of 5." which nobody else said so i wonder if they failed an extra game then everyone else, ymmv style?

Impermanent posted:

Counterpoint, get one of the other ones that doesn't gently caress up the rules for the Countess.

(Double counterpoint - check out No Thanks! It's a better game you can play with non-gamers in a similar time span and has rules your grandmother can get because she doesn't have to read small text on cards.)

The Legend of 5 Rings edition. pretty art, nonfuckedup 7.

$7 amazon.

Also no thanks and Red7 are great.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 4, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Every reviewer says its a great experience while it lasts.

And it lasts one game. I've spent more than $40-50 on games I've only ended up playing once, but at least I could play them again.

It amuses me that at Essen they were demoing it in a soundproof booth to prevent passers-by getting inadvertently spoiled, and it was so popular that if you didn't book on the Thursday you wouldn't get to try it. So, they took the people most likely to buy the game and made it so they didn't have to. Marketing genius.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Bombadilillo posted:

Oh god no don't do that. "Instantly lose regularly and randomly" is a bad card. At least when you're forced to Prince yourself to death because of Handmaids, it's infrequent and kind of hilarious.

One single card in the Japanese art version ruins the whole thing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

T-Bone posted:

No Thanks! and Linko would be great additions as well.

I got Frank's Zoo, 6 Nimmt, and Mu and Lots More -- soon they will all be mine fozzy.

Yes .. yessssssss *this is where i'd post mbison.gif* but I forget if that gets you banned on a grey forum.

I have a bunch more of these in the hopper, I'll report back

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Robust Laser posted:

Oh god no don't do that. "Instantly lose regularly and randomly" is a bad card. At least when you're forced to Prince yourself to death because of Handmaids, it's infrequent and kind of hilarious.

One single card in the Japanese art version ruins the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Letter-Legend-Five-Rings/dp/B00I45GN5E

The this one, not the original. I never played the original was unaware of that rule and drat thats harsh. This is same rules as the Redbag american default version.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bombadilillo posted:

Every reviewer says its a great experience while it lasts. Then says something along the lines of "I got this for free, but its totally worth the money I didnt spend for 1 game"

I don't own it but every indication is that it's a team-based choose your own adventure with dice-based mechanics.

If you want to play an adventure story over and over again until you figure out the right way to do things and sometimes suffer the whims of the dice, do yourself a favor and play The Lone Wolf Saga, which is free on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GDVGames.LoneWolfBiblio&hl=en

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I prefer No Thanks to Love Letter. However, NT doesn't make it quite so obvious what you're trying to do or how to do it, while LL is pretty clear even on a new player's first turn. LL is like the game Uno wishes is was, a brainless, interactive distraction.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Jedit posted:

And it lasts one game. I've spent more than $40-50 on games I've only ended up playing once, but at least I could play them again.

It amuses me that at Essen they were demoing it in a soundproof booth to prevent passers-by getting inadvertently spoiled, and it was so popular that if you didn't book on the Thursday you wouldn't get to try it. So, they took the people most likely to buy the game and made it so they didn't have to. Marketing genius.

My plan is to eventually play it at a con so I don't waste money on it. That is, if it doesn't get spoiled for me at some point.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Adventure Time version of LL is good for hipsters that love that show.

LL is not a bad game. It's just not a great game either. But it fills a niche, unlike Splendor which is sort of the same quality wise but much better games fill the size/time/depth niche.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I honestly prefer the poison-pill 7 to the Countess 7. It encourages you to dump high value cards in the early game (because they're potentially deadly), rather than sitting on 5s or 6 all game. And the 5s and 6s play a huge part in the information game, both in the data they reveal and the importance of knowing their whereabouts. Plus, the 1s last later into the game, which makes their guessing ability much stronger and more relevant.

Whereas Countess is almost never interesting as a card. You almost always play her immediately upon drawing her, unless you're on your last play of the round.

Sure, Minister leads to complete swing losses out of nowhere. But you can get just as shafted by a wild stab from a random Soldier/Guard. It's a shafty sort of game.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Countess 7 owns, use her as bluffing early game to spare you from baron rush, try to hold her late game for a decent chance at success

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Bombadilillo posted:

I posted a long winded review of it a few pages back. The long and short of it is: it has some pretty pictures, but really sucks in basically every other way.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I played Portal with a second group of people and this time it was a complete flop. Two of the four players didn't even get a single slice of cake, but I think it was more out of disinterest than lack of planning.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
I played a four and a half hour game of Amun-Re earlier today.

The game was alright. The other players that found anything and everything else to talk about and do except play the game was not.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Mistfall is out in my country now. Has anyone tried it?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I played Portal with a second group of people and this time it was a complete flop. Two of the four players didn't even get a single slice of cake, but I think it was more out of disinterest than lack of planning.

Was it the game's fault or the players being uninterested?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

MorphineMike posted:

I played a four and a half hour game of Amun-Re earlier today.

The game was alright. The other players that found anything and everything else to talk about and do except play the game was not.

How in the gently caress can you play a four hour game of Amun-Re? We usually get that game done in around an hour.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Madmarker posted:

How in the gently caress can you play a four hour game of Amun-Re? We usually get that game done in around an hour.

Did you know that one of the players had a bus ticket from 2012 in his wallet? Because everyone else in the room did.It was much more important that everyone knew that than him doing anything related to the game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

lordsummerisle posted:

Mistfall is out in my country now. Has anyone tried it?

It's terrible. Sentinels of the Multiverse level gameplay, with the added enjoyment of being able to randomly lose the entire game through no fault of your own.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Going to play Argent tomorrow, 5 players, all new. Any rules I should stress or that are commonly missed?
The mage draft looks like a really good way for a bunch of new players to lose the game before it even starts. I remember reading a variant in here a while ago. Something like 'everybody get one of each wizard'. Anybody remember that?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Electric Hobo posted:

Going to play Argent tomorrow, 5 players, all new. Any rules I should stress or that are commonly missed?
The mage draft looks like a really good way for a bunch of new players to lose the game before it even starts. I remember reading a variant in here a while ago. Something like 'everybody get one of each wizard'. Anybody remember that?

Yeah, just give everyone one of each wizard (except neutral?), if for no other reason than to familiarize players with the wizards.

I can't think of a rule to stress, but I would stress that merit points are really important, not only because it's a vote that will always be a vote, but also because it breaks ties. Ties happen ridiculously often at the end, since most things tend to be in the < 5 count range, so it's a good advantage to have.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Make sure people know they can only do one reaction to a given action, as well as restating the difference between drafting and drawing a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't think of a rule to stress, but I would stress that merit points are really important, not only because it's a vote that will always be a vote, but also because it breaks ties. Ties happen ridiculously often at the end, since most things tend to be in the < 5 count range, so it's a good advantage to have.

I think you mean "Influence Points" - and you're correct, they are critically important. it took two plays for me to realize most of the time it's you and someone else with 2-4 of something tied up. Both times someone won because of tie breakers.