Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Welp. One more kill, one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I await the inevitable tactical analysis!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Aha. More interesting test pilot names. 2 of those names needs no introduction to anyone familiar with dynasty warriors.

Cao Cao - is the leader of Wei during the 3 Kingdoms era.
Cao Mao - is Cao Pi's grandson, which makes him Cao Cao's great grandson.
Lu Bu - a talented warrior during the 3 kingdoms period who had some... personality quirks.
Jiang Shi - zombie! Hopping zombie to be precise, since their joints are too stiff to walk about according to legends.
Xiang Liu - a nine headed monster in Chinese mythology. Has cyan-skinned human faces on a snake body.

And as before, all their ranks are 'Test Pilot'.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cimbri posted:

You mean the "Battletech Bartender's Guide"? Not too hard to find a link to it, http://home.arcor.de/cwaidner/archives/downloads/bartender.txt. Although this is apparently a version with additions by Battletech players.

Edit: Glanced over the one on my first link and it's missing a few (chiefly the one used in the stream, the Capellan Confederation), I think this one has them all, http://www.solaris7.com/Fiction/FictionInfo.asp?ID=739

Holy crap, that's from rec.games.mecha. I made a couple of those.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Can I just reiterate that I'm really happy team war crimes won their campaign?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do we have a Zhuge Liang in our pocket? :o

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I await the inevitable tactical analysis!

This is crabstar ptn.

LURE THEM INSIDE

DETONATE THE SELF DESTRUCT

MAXIMUM SPITE.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

SynthOrange posted:

DO NOT PURSUE

Dammit, you guys beat me to it when I was watching Jeopardy...

Your turrets are down, and the Wolverine is still pristine. Deal with that fucker already before the Three Kingdoms heroes move in and tear you a new one.

SynthOrange posted:

Do we have a Zhuge Liang in our pocket? :o

Or even a Guan Yu or Liu Bei to oppose them... Kernoff seems more like a Lu Bu, but they already have one in their ranks...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 5, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Or even a Guan Yu or Liu Bei to oppose them... Kernoff seems more like a Lu Bu, but they already have one in their ranks...

We need a Diaochan to make him defect. :v:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am amused that in both this and the last mission, Poptarts was forced to bust out the Mighty Murdering Capellan Rangers, because the PCs stubbornly refused to go down.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's no forced about it.

They're a scripted encounter!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Now all we need is the Musha Gundam to show up and it'll really be a party.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

In all seriousness, pop the brutus and get to 9

then scuttle off or something.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tran posted:

Can I just reiterate that I'm really happy team war crimes won their campaign?

?

This is the same planet; the power rangers haven't won anything...yet. Of course, with Lu Bu on their side, it's only a matter of time. Unless the other team has a harem and/or a bitchen' horse, of course.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

?

This is the same planet; the power rangers haven't won anything...yet. Of course, with Lu Bu on their side, it's only a matter of time. Unless the other team has a harem and/or a bitchen' horse, of course.

He meant the Ex-Death Commandos who attacked that clan-held planet to free it from all that pesky new expertise and technology in domains where the CC (and really the entire IS in general) was severely missing.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

?

He's referring to the Death Commandos "Jeronimo" campaign from a few years ago, where the Capellans first got all the cool toys that have turned into the Power Rangers we've got here.

e:f,b

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

In all seriousness, pop the brutus and get to 9

then scuttle off or something.

And by scuttle off, you mean "set off the thermo-nuclear devices under the base".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, I'm just amazed/horrified that the Capellans have managed to trot out not one, but TWO mechs that actually have a worse heat ratio than a bloody Nova Prime.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Capellans are going to be loving pissed when the FWL and Comstar drop a couple of regiments on their fancy field test toys.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

Cimbri posted:

You mean the "Battletech Bartender's Guide"? Not too hard to find a link to it, http://home.arcor.de/cwaidner/archives/downloads/bartender.txt. Although this is apparently a version with additions by Battletech players.

Edit: Glanced over the one on my first link and it's missing a few (chiefly the one used in the stream, the Capellan Confederation), I think this one has them all, http://www.solaris7.com/Fiction/FictionInfo.asp?ID=739

These so remind me of the Kali NetMech leagues, and Clan Black Sheep. Fun days.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Dolash posted:

Isn't it about time you guys get started on that Wolverine? You don't have long to mop him up if those five newcomers are a walking game over.

And drat if Kernoff isn't nuttier than a granola bar.

They've fallen right into our trap!

The best part of it is that I don't have to care whether Kernoff has an escape plan or not.

OK, so our time limit has been set. Given how the Wolverine moved I see two possibilities:
1. I walk to 1233, putting me at range 7 on the Wolverine, and exchange fire with her. The Legacy either supports me or goes after the Brutus and takes the risk of getting LRM'ed to death.
2. Legacy goes to 1637 and I go to 1636 to get out of the Wolverine's short/MPL range. We both take called shots on the Brutus' front armor. If the Gauss doesn't kill it, we'll have to spend the next round shooting as well.

The Wolverine's giving me a great shot: we both need 8s with our big guns and her MPLs will be out of range if I engage her this turn. But I think the Brutus gives us higher odds of getting that ninth victim. I'm just concerned about our ability to deal with the Wolverine subsequent to that. I have a sneaking suspicion that our new victory condition will be to hold out until the Power Rangers enter the fort...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Was it Leperflesh who was living dangerously with BT shots? I want to think it was Leperflesh.

Also aaah too many bonzis in this boat

This was a lot less distracting when everybody was a Garbage Dick, or even a Toilet Lord, for however many months those lasted. Bonzi Buddies just look a little too much like a real av someone might have.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Wolverine or Brutus huh.

God a pristine 55 tonner is still goddamn terrifying, but... I dunno. How fast can you guys kill the Brutus before all the rear shots from the Wolverine kill you?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I drank a fish for this thread, yes.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 5, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I still can't believe you did that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Holy poo poo. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Is there a post hall of fame or something for this thread? :stare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That post was over four years ago. :corsair:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cao Cao Maruader has Enhanced ER PPCs. They do 12 damage instead of 10, so they have the ability to headcap from long range. Better finish this mission off quick.

Sair
May 11, 2007

A decision nobody understands.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It really wasn't that bad. I've done way, way worse things. I mean like way worse, you don't even know.

Hell, have you ever changed an infant's diaper? Then you've done something massively worse than drinking a fish.

Having a mixed drink involving a sardine and some fire, for the entertainment of goons, was easy and kind of fun. :)

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yikes, I'd nearly forgotten that fish too - and I only read about it... at the start of this year?

Pity about the viking going dow- wait, wasn't the viking already dead?

Oh well, anyway, yeah I guess "winning" on a technicality just became the key choice.
But odds are the game will continue after that, so you might as well turn the guns on that wolverine, and finish the job.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just go to that 16 line and both of you guys shoot the poo poo out of the immobilized brutus for the 9th kill.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I almost feel sorry for those retreating capellans, they're probably gonna get purged on principle alone.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

SynthOrange posted:

That post was over four years ago. :corsair:

poo poo, that means I'm coming up on 4 years since Luthien...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Why did you drink a fish for this thread? I have gone over the posts at the time and I cannot honestly see any reason. I'm guessing it's a cocktail recipe in that godawful book the thread was reading at the time, but I can't find it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Narsham posted:

2. Legacy goes to 1637 and I go to 1636 to get out of the Wolverine's short/MPL range. We both take called shots on the Brutus' front armor. If the Gauss doesn't kill it, we'll have to spend the next round shooting as well.

We should definitely kill the Brutus this turn. However, those hexes are not that good a choice. First of all, 1637 is one of those wall hexes that are impossible to stand on (the kind that killed the Helios). 1636 on the other hand is completely hidden from the Wolverine since there is a height 4 building on the way. However, 1636 is visible to the Archer and Demolisher, which means that if one of us goes there, then one of us is getting shot by those two and the Wolverine will just engage the other person (since it has LoS on all other hexes on that 16xx column). Instead I propose the following: I run to 1635 and you walk to 1634, and we both call shots on the front of the Brutus. This way only the Brutus' LRM and the Wolverine can shoot us. I feel this is the best choice, since we are unfortunately in the position that if both of us get on the 16xx column, the Wolverine will be in short range of at least one of us. This way we minimize the potential damage at least.

I do have one slight alternative to that though. I could instead walk to 1633. This means I'll be in range of the Brutus' large lasers (they'll be hitting on 9+) and the Wolverine's mediums and other weapons, but I'll improve my own to-hit from 6+ to 5+. Probably not worth it, but it does increase my chance of success from ~72% to ~83%.

I like the first plan better, since it leaves a reasonable chance that I'll live to see next turn.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 5, 2015

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

Why did you drink a fish for this thread? I have gone over the posts at the time and I cannot honestly see any reason. I'm guessing it's a cocktail recipe in that godawful book the thread was reading at the time, but I can't find it.

No reason is needed for science.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Narsham posted:

They've fallen right into our trap!

The best part of it is that I don't have to care whether Kernoff has an escape plan or not.

OK, so our time limit has been set. Given how the Wolverine moved I see two possibilities:
1. I walk to 1233, putting me at range 7 on the Wolverine, and exchange fire with her. The Legacy either supports me or goes after the Brutus and takes the risk of getting LRM'ed to death.

The Wolverine's giving me a great shot: we both need 8s with our big guns and her MPLs will be out of range if I engage her this turn. But I think the Brutus gives us higher odds of getting that ninth victim. I'm just concerned about our ability to deal with the Wolverine subsequent to that. I have a sneaking suspicion that our new victory condition will be to hold out until the Power Rangers enter the fort...

Go with Legacy to 1635 and you to 1634 shoot your erppc and gauss at the brutuses front declaring that as your primary attack, and then fire on the wolverine with everything else.

Staying alive is not your goal, killing that brutus is, further goals can WAIT.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
^ Yeah basically that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Perestroika posted:

I almost feel sorry for those retreating capellans, they're probably gonna get purged on principle alone.

They're in a forced withdrawal from a reducing assault on a fixed position. This is what they're supposed to be doing, not standing fast and losing their mechs.

• Locked thread