Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

If rage at "Thing X did Thing Y, you'll NEVER guess what happened next" makes me a grandpa, then give me a recliner and a bowl full of ribbon candy.

I feel like you standing up for him further validates my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

T.J. Simers was won 7.1 million dollars in an age and disability discrimination suit against the Los Angeles Times.

His argument: they made his work situation untenable after he suffered a stroke in early 2013, meting out extra editorial scrutiny over his writing and dropping him from three columns a week to two without explanation.
Their argument: he inserted his daughter as one of the subjects of a column, and that he didn't disclose that he was in a business relationship with the producer of a video he used for a column.

The incredible thing: The L.A. Times was paying T.J. Simers $234,000 A YEAR when he left.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

? That seems like a normal little kid thing
I was more horrified by the idea of the First Church of Adam Sandler.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

I was more horrified by the idea of the First Church of Adam Sandler.

He was making a joke about his kids liking him a lot.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

The incredible thing: The L.A. Times was paying T.J. Simers $234,000 A YEAR when he left.

Well, I'm certainly working for the wrong paper.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
ARod's interview with Katie Nolan was amazing. For me, it did more to fix his image than any amount of bull poo poo press conferences or posturing could have done.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's been amazing on the Fox baseball panel too as an analyst. Was expecting him to be an awkward mess and he's actually a natural at it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If anyone wants to hear more about Grantland, I recommend Simmons podcast with Malcolm Gladwell. Basically the first 20 minutes Gladwell shits on ESPN.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

If anyone wants to hear more about Grantland, I recommend Simmons podcast with Malcolm Gladwell. Basically the first 20 minutes Gladwell shits on ESPN.

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but good lord Gladwell sounds willfully naive with his calls for sports commissioners to ban teams from using public funds to build stadiums.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

howe_sam posted:

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but good lord Gladwell sounds willfully naive with his calls for sports commissioners to ban teams from using public funds to build stadiums.

While his idea of sports commissioners making a stand against stadium fuckery makes absolutely no sense (they are the ones who benefit), living in St. Louis it feels like the never ending stadium situation going on with the Rams is pulled straight out of a Simpsons episode or something. I think (hope?) that eventually the whole "public money for rich sports owners" is going to be looked back on like when women used arsenic in makeup or the widespread use of lead in paint. It's so odd to me that in 2015 people get offended at almost any possible thing and yet somehow sports owners can do this robber baron poo poo in plain daylight and its just seen as business as usual.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

agreed, but viceland looks like it'll feature adrianne jeffries, molly crabapple and eddie huang pretty prominently. all three of them are really great

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Simmons is doing documentaries for HBO and has announced his first will be about Andre the Giant. gently caress yeah.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

joshtothemaxx posted:

Simmons is doing documentaries for HBO and has announced his first will be about Andre the Giant. gently caress yeah.

That is great. I've long heard him talk about thats the one project he could never do before. I wonder if WWE is going to play ball then?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

There was a decent article about Andre the Giant recently on Grantland, just in case you missed it. I'd still take a documentary though obviously. http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-biggest-man-understanding-andre-the-giant-wrestlings-massive-indefinable-contradiction/

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

Sooooooooo seriously what other sites are out there for good sports writing? I'm legitimately lose without Grantland.

Longform.com and Longreads.com both have sports sections if you like some of the really wordy, in depth pieces.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

While his idea of sports commissioners making a stand against stadium fuckery makes absolutely no sense (they are the ones who benefit), living in St. Louis it feels like the never ending stadium situation going on with the Rams is pulled straight out of a Simpsons episode or something. I think (hope?) that eventually the whole "public money for rich sports owners" is going to be looked back on like when women used arsenic in makeup or the widespread use of lead in paint. It's so odd to me that in 2015 people get offended at almost any possible thing and yet somehow sports owners can do this robber baron poo poo in plain daylight and its just seen as business as usual.
I think public sentiment turned against owners a few years ago. There have been some very shady deals done that always screw over taxpayers which have received more media attention in the last few years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

howe_sam posted:

One of the Deadspin writers (Petchesky, I think) has been getting self-righteously indignant about publicly funded stadiums for like a year, so Gladwell isn't alone.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Being anti-stadium building funded by municipalities is a thing people have been for much more than a year, Neil De Mause's book came out in 1998.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jim Brady is ESPN's new Ombudsman/public editor

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I think Bill Simmons has finally gone off the deep end:

My 11 year old daughter would not shut up about wanting to see that movie endlessly every time she saw a trailer for it. You really underestimate the target audience for movies like Pixels. Some parents will take a stand and refuse out of principle (or thank god their kids forgot about it after a while) but most of them will just give up and drudge through it while replacing their 64 oz coke with whiskey.

So there really is no good alternative to Grantland? gently caress. I've gone there twice this morning already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin's Diana Moskovitz has a very deep breakdown on what happened the night Greg Hardy beat the poo poo out of his ex.

Fair warning, there are some pretty brutal pictures in it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Edit: Beaten. :smith:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

You mean a very deep breakdown on what happened the night PRO BOWL ATHLETE Greg Hardy beat the poo poo out of his ex.

Seriously, this is a miserably sad read.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

hcreight posted:

Well, that's a little on the nose, isn't it?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Didn't even mean to do that!

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

hcreight posted:

:eyepop:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think public sentiment turned against owners a few years ago. There have been some very shady deals done that always screw over taxpayers which have received more media attention in the last few years.
The main problem is no city wants to be the ones to take a stand because if you lose the team, you aren't getting another one (most likely). A sports team, especially an NFL one, is the least replaceable resource there is. It sounds stupid when Simmons says something like "Sacramento, if they lose the Kings, what are they, the place the Governor lives." It sounds dumb, but for a city like that it is true. When was the last time Sacramento was talked about for anything?

Public money for stadiums is gross, but as long as another city will provide it, there is no solution. It is the same thing as states that give like 100 million to get a company to open a factory up to supply like 2,000 jobs. It is stupid, but Metlife or BMW or whoever can get it somewhere else, so Raleigh or Spartenburg open the check book immediately. It is bad business to not take the money.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 7, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

The main problem is no city wants to be the ones to take a stand because if you lose the team, you aren't getting another one (most likely). A sports team, especially an NFL one, is the least replaceable resource there is. It sounds stupid when Simmons says something like "Sacramento, if they lose the Kings, what are they, the place the Governor lives." It sounds dumb, but for a city like that it is true. When was the last time Sacramento was talked about for anything?

Public money for stadiums is gross, but as long as another city will provide it, there is no solution. It is the same thing as states that give like 100 million to get a company to open a factory up to supply like 2,000 jobs. It is stupid, but Metlife or BMW or whoever can get it somewhere else, so Raleigh or Spartenburg open the check book immediately. It is bad business to not take the money.

Why is "being talked about" enough reason for that?

Economic research has consistently shown that spending on professional sports brings no economic benefits to cities. People don't suddenly spend more on entertainment because there is a sports franchise. It is very different from attracting a new factory (which has its own problems, but is not the same issue).

The reason cities spend on public stadiums is because billionaires lobby for that. This isn't a problem of a race to the bottom where cities and states have to keep providing incentives to keep their business or lose jobs. Sports franchises just shift income from one part of the city to the other, and bring no tangible economic benefits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It make sense to spend money on a sports team for the same reason it makes sense to spend money on public parks, pools, etc. It is a quality of life thing, even if it costs a large amount of money to keep one.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

joepinetree posted:

Why is "being talked about" enough reason for that?

Economic research has consistently shown that spending on professional sports brings no economic benefits to cities. People don't suddenly spend more on entertainment because there is a sports franchise. It is very different from attracting a new factory (which has its own problems, but is not the same issue).

The reason cities spend on public stadiums is because billionaires lobby for that. This isn't a problem of a race to the bottom where cities and states have to keep providing incentives to keep their business or lose jobs. Sports franchises just shift income from one part of the city to the other, and bring no tangible economic benefits.
I don't disagree with a single thing you posted. I am aware of all of this. I think the "being talked about" is what people on city council care about. Cities do all types of things to try to increase national exposure. I bet your city has a board, committee, or government funded non profit (probably multiple) dedicated to this sole purpose.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Research has been pretty consistent that professional sports teams do not attract enough outside interests to warrant that. Likewise, in terms of people served or willingness for people to pay for it, it is just about the worst quality of life investment. The real reason cities spend money on it has nothing to do with being talked about or improving quality of life. It is basic "interest group" political science explanations. Atlantans may have opposed a new Falcons stadium 3 to 1, but that opposition isn't enough to make up for the money Arthur Blank pours not only on political campaigns, but on the local charities of choice of key political figures.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

joepinetree posted:

Research has been pretty consistent that professional sports teams do not attract enough outside interests to warrant that. Likewise, in terms of people served or willingness for people to pay for it, it is just about the worst quality of life investment. The real reason cities spend money on it has nothing to do with being talked about or improving quality of life. It is basic "interest group" political science explanations. Atlantans may have opposed a new Falcons stadium 3 to 1, but that opposition isn't enough to make up for the money Arthur Blank pours not only on political campaigns, but on the local charities of choice of key political figures.

I'm going to have to ask for a citation on research that shows pro teams are bad exposure tools, because I am pretty sure that's not right. There is research on the Economic impact, but Ribsauce is talking about non-economic benefit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
You shouldn't give truckloads of money to billionaires in exchange for "non-economic benefit"

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm not sure if you guys think I am in any way suggesting giving money to the stadiums is a good thing but I am not. I am just saying what the cities think. You don't have to tell me they don't actually create millions of dollars of impact and thousands of jobs. I know. People on these commissions and boards live in an alternative reality where spending all types of money for "name recognition" is a perfectly reasonable thing, even though there is no tangible benefit.

The best thing this North Carolina's General Assembly did the last session* was tell the Panthers to go gently caress themselves when they tried to export us taxpayers out of 90 million. Of course Charlotte immediately paniced and gave them city money, but at least the state hit them with a middle finger.

*note: There wasn't a lot of competition in the "good things NC's government did recently" contest

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

You shouldn't give truckloads of money to billionaires in exchange for "non-economic benefit"

How about happiness? Seeing Giannis on the Seattle Bucks...no.

Edit: Speaking of sadness, taking away Grantland at the start of the NBA season and depriving us of Lowe was just cruel.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lockback posted:

I'm going to have to ask for a citation on research that shows pro teams are bad exposure tools, because I am pretty sure that's not right. There is research on the Economic impact, but Ribsauce is talking about non-economic benefit.

Zimmerman, Dennis. "Subsidizing stadiums: Who benefits, who pays." Sports, jobs, and taxes: The impact of sports teams and stadiums (1997): 119-145.

Professional football stadiums have no measurable impact on attracting outside tourists.

Johnson, Bruce K., Peter A. Groothuis, and John C. Whitehead. "The Value of Public Goods Generated by a Major League Sports Team The CVM Approach." Journal of Sports Economics 2.1 (2001): 6-21.

Johnson, Bruce K., and John C. Whitehead. "Value of public goods from sports stadiums: The CVM approach." Contemporary Economic Policy 18.1 (2000): 48-58.

Swindell, David, and Mark S. Rosentraub. "Who benefits from the presence of professional sports teams? The implications for public funding of stadiums and arenas." Public Administration Review (1998): 11-20.

Public stadiums are just about the most inefficient ways of generating non-economic benefits, such as civic pride.

If stadiums do not have a significant impact on tourism and are inefficient ways of creating civic pride, I'd say they are "bad exposure tools."

Ribsauce posted:

I'm not sure if you guys think I am in any way suggesting giving money to the stadiums is a good thing but I am not. I am just saying what the cities think. You don't have to tell me they don't actually create millions of dollars of impact and thousands of jobs. I know. People on these commissions and boards live in an alternative reality where spending all types of money for "name recognition" is a perfectly reasonable thing, even though there is no tangible benefit.

The best thing this North Carolina's General Assembly did the last session* was tell the Panthers to go gently caress themselves when they tried to export us taxpayers out of 90 million. Of course Charlotte immediately paniced and gave them city money, but at least the state hit them with a middle finger.

*note: There wasn't a lot of competition in the "good things NC's government did recently" contest

The idea that public subsidies for stadiums are well intentioned but poorly informed actions by local politicians makes no sense given the efforts in Atlanta and other places to avoid public hearings, public votes, etc on the issue. Simpler explanations are better, and in this case special interest politics not only match what we witness better, but also with a simpler explanation.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 7, 2015

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hand Row posted:

How about happiness? Seeing Giannis on the Seattle Sonics

I just got a huge :dong: right now don't tease me like that.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Hand Row posted:

Edit: Speaking of sadness, taking away Grantland at the start of the NBA season and depriving us of Lowe was just cruel.

I don't feel like driving down to Tukwila and walking past rows of video poker machines and hearing planes land overhead, honestly.

Because an in-city arena is never going to happen, you see.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Hand Row posted:

He has to resurface sometime soon, hopefully not behind a lovely ESPN paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

C. Everett Koop posted:

I just got a huge :dong: right now don't tease me like that.

Sorry dude Wisconsin is paying 250 million to keep him.