Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

KoRMaK posted:

I would hope that zemeicks would come around. R&M is the de-facto bttf. Fans of BTTF overlap with R&M

Was that a real response?

I should have mentioned that was not an actual quote. My mistake. I just assumed that would be his response after having just seen him pimp out Morty to Orson Welles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Jubs posted:

I'm at some sort of event at the Hollywood Improv about Rick & Morty. If the opportunity arises, is there a question I should ask?

Hey! I went there, too! I was stuck behind the piano on the side, but I was near a speaker (so I got great audio quality) and got the last 20 minutes when they dragged Maurice LaMarche on stage. I was also the guy that gave Justin Rick and Morty LEGO minifigures. I'm so glad he loved them. The best part was how he kept on getting closer and closer to my face as we took the picture. Great time, great guy (weird guy, but that's to be expected), and really cool time.

Oh, and in news of the show, today marks day 3 into writing Season 3.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Only somewhat. "Fans of BttF" is pretty much anybody who has seen 80s action/comedy movies. Tons of those people have never even heard of R&M.

Those are not fans of bttf. Those are movie goers of the 80s

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KoRMaK posted:

Those are not fans of bttf. Those are movie goers of the 80s

Speaking as an 80s movie goer, I never put together BttF with Rick and Morty until I heard about Doc and Mharti, which was well after I'd become a fan of Rick and Morty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How many Rick and Morty fans have been following Justin since his channel 101 days? Did a lot of people discover rick and morty via their exposure to his delightful catalog of works from channel 101?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly? Because of the first Rick and Morty thread on SA when they said it was basically BTTF. I think it was along the lines of Doc Brown is a drunken rear end in a top hat and Marty is an idiot. And yeah I got hooked once I watched the pilot. I was unaware of his previous work.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

How many Rick and Morty fans have been following Justin since his channel 101 days? Did a lot of people discover rick and morty via their exposure to his delightful catalog of works from channel 101?

I followed him a bit before I knew who he was. I watched a bit of House of Cosby's and Unbelievable Tales back in the day. I liked his voice acting on Adventure Time and Gravity Falls. So I was interested in Rick and Morty because of that.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I had no idea who Roiland and Harmon were prior to Rick and Morty. I was on vacation and couldn't sleep and saw the pilot preview and thought "hey, that reminds me somewhat of Superjail" so I gave it a shot and at the end of the first episode I was hooked.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

I watched part of the pilot episode and got turned off by all the slurring and stuttering. I got back into it after seeing the Season 1 thread here after "Raising Gazorpazorp." I fell fully in love with it with "Rixty Minutes." Prior to that, I'd heard of Dan Harman in other threads about "Community" and had never heard of Justin.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

johntfs posted:

I watched part of the pilot episode and got turned off by all the slurring and stuttering. I got back into it after seeing the Season 1 thread here after "Raising Gazorpazorp." I fell fully in love with it with "Rixty Minutes." Prior to that, I'd heard of Dan Harman in other threads about "Community" and had never heard of Justin.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it's spelt, 'Dan Harmolethew'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I friend of mine linked a few clips, but I didn't get hooked until he linked Two Brothers: The Movie, still one of my favorite clips. I recognized the voice from Gravity Falls, and didn't really care for it, but liked the show anyways.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I read about it in a review my film major friend wrote about Rick Potion No. 9, and the end was so amazingly dark that I knew I had to watch more.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I saw doc and marhti like a year before the announcement of the show because of SA or goontu.be

When I heard it was getting a show I was, like, whoa.

I'm just now going back through roilands backlog.

It seems so obviously bttf, but I'm biased since I saw doc and marhti. A crazy eyed sceintist and a young teenager seems pretty bttf in description though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I just binged this due to a friend absolutely nailing Rick for Halloween, down to the speech patterns and belching. Helps that he's about 10 feet tall.

Went in expecting silliness.

Came out like :stare:

And now I'm mad that there's not any more yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was a Community fan so I came in from over there. I was obliquely aware of Channel 101 and Justin Roiland's work, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Justin Roiland's "Reporters" is something.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/442

2 Girls 1 Cup: The Show. The plot starts out simple but it gets uhh... special.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/523

Most Extraordinary Space Investigations. Justin, Dan Harmon, and later Sarah Silverman. They get high as gently caress as adlib space adventures.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/305

Phone Sexers. Justin, Ryan Ridley (I'm WALKin' here!!) , Abed (who abed from community is named after) and many more. This halloween hellraiser special is really well done.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/430

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Propaganda Machine posted:

I just binged this due to a friend absolutely nailing Rick for Halloween, down to the speech patterns and belching. Helps that he's about 10 feet tall.

I would like a youtube clip of this

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I saw the clip of the butter robot randomly on youtube and decided I had to see the show.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SwissCM posted:

I was a Community fan so I came in from over there. I was obliquely aware of Channel 101 and Justin Roiland's work, though.

Same, although, weirdly enough, I had seen House of Cosbys long before I'd heard of Dan Harmon or Community (let alone Roiland) and it played no role in my checking out Community. It was a weird thing to discover that Roiland was the one who did it (yet somehow unsurprising).

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
How come Jerry is the only one in Total Rickall not to have a bad memory flashback?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The flashbacks you saw are literally the only good memories the loser has.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
how's this then?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

a shameful boehner posted:

How come Jerry is the only one in Total Rickall not to have a bad memory flashback?

I think he was upstairs with Sleepy Gary when that was explained, but I might be wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a shameful boehner posted:

He is a parasite, just not a space parasite, so his memories don't matter.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't give a gently caress what you think, Jerry!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know anything about Channel 101 or the adventures of Doc and Mharti until after I had watched several episodes of R&M. :shrug:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Baronjutter posted:

Justin Roiland's "Reporters" is something.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/442

Most Extraordinary Space Investigations. Justin, Dan Harmon, and later Sarah Silverman. They get high as gently caress as adlib space adventures.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/305

Phone Sexers. Justin, Ryan Ridley (I'm WALKin' here!!) , Abed (who abed from community is named after) and many more. This halloween hellraiser special is really well done.
http://www.channel101.com/episode/430

How could you have forgotten House of Cosbys? http://www.channel101.com/show/148

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brocktoon posted:

How could you have forgotten House of Cosbys? http://www.channel101.com/show/148

I figured everyone had seen that already but missed amazing thing's like Justin Roiland as a Hellraiser cenobite phone sex worker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Was that a Dan Harmon cameo as the other dude? Or just a similar looking neckbeard dude? Hah.

This is definitely Justin Roiland's style of humor right here.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Zaphod42 posted:

Was that a Dan Harmon cameo as the other dude?

Nope, that's Eric Falconer.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, I knew him as Christopher Cross in Yacht Rock before I knew him from anything else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chewbacca posted:

Yeah, I knew him as Christopher Cross in Yacht Rock before I knew him from anything else.

I'm going to play my song now

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't learn about Doc and Mharti until halfway through my R&M watch as well, but the main thing I remember about it was the submission date. It's like the oldest youtube video still up, loving 2006.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SwissCM posted:

Funny, I am binge-watching Community for the first time because they made fun of it in the Unity episode. I wanted to get the joke.

I'm in season 4. Pearce Hawthorne is the jerkiest character since Joffrey Baratheon.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GORDON posted:

Funny, I am binge-watching Community for the first time because they made fun of it in the Unity episode. I wanted to get the joke.

I'm in season 4. Pearce Hawthorne is the jerkiest character since Joffrey Baratheon.

beware, season 4 is where they fired harmon and the shows becomes a caricature of itself. but dont lose faith

harmon comes back in 5 and then season 6 is on yahoo. season 6 is schizoprehnic and great

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I stopped watching community around season 2 or 3. I don't know why, just like Bob's Burgers I just slowly stopped wanting to make time for it. Is it worth picking back up in season 5? I was on a plane and they had a random episode and it was all about how the crazy old guy died and had a crazy will and something about cum, it was pretty ok.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I stopped watching community around season 2 or 3. I don't know why, just like Bob's Burgers I just slowly stopped wanting to make time for it. Is it worth picking back up in season 5? I was on a plane and they had a random episode and it was all about how the crazy old guy died and had a crazy will and something about cum, it was pretty ok.

For you?

No.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Someone posted about it earlier but I just did a little research on the whole healthcare for the crew of Ricky & Morty thing and it's pretty hosed up. Makes me a little uncomfortable watching the show now, even if an agreement was reached.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not an Owl posted:

Someone posted about it earlier but I just did a little research on the whole healthcare for the crew of Ricky & Morty thing and it's pretty hosed up. Makes me a little uncomfortable watching the show now, even if an agreement was reached.

As much as I love the show I've heard Harmon and Roiland are both raving libertarians of some stripe. Which makes sense that the main character is an insane libertarian intergalactic free-man-on-the-spacetime and his arch nemisis is the very concept of an organized government which he's willing to murder countless of it's police and civilians if they get in the way of his right to be a space criminal.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I had known about House of Cosbys for years before seeing Rick and Morty, and knew Roiland's voice work for Adventure Time and Gravity Falls beforehand. Started watching Rick and Morty after catching the pilot, and didn't realize he also did House of Cosbys until I showed R&M to a friend and he recognized the voice.

This happened halfway into season 1, I guess I never paid attention to the House of Cosbys credits.

Also knew Harmon from some Channel 101 stuff and knew he made Community but have never really watched it.

salty fries make me cry fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 6, 2015

• Locked thread