Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh god Wil Wheaton just showed up in this piece of crap Dark Matter show and somehow managed to be a lovely low point in this already-terrible diarrhea fountain godawful piece of lovely bullshit gently caress rear end god drat it spaceship garbage fucky retarded poo log gently caress gently caress gently caress

He's a sinister, ultra-smug badguy

Tujague fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Powered Descent posted:

Here you go thread, have all the star treks at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0S8rmcRVOA

That is amazing.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Powered Descent posted:

He is not exaggerating.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tujague posted:

Oh god Wil Wheaton just showed up in this piece of crap Dark Matter show and somehow managed to be a lovely low point in this already-terrible diarrhea fountain godawful piece of lovely bullshit gently caress rear end god drat it spaceship garbage fucky retarded poo log gently caress gently caress gently caress

That show is literally the worst. Wil Wheaton as the tiniest childlike mastermind was a highlight.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah the show is fuckterrible

It is also probably very close to what New Star Trek Show is going to be

lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

This is just my brain normally

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

At one point in there Q is wearing something pretty darn close to Ollie North's exact uniform from the Iran-Contra hearing. Which was a current event at the time the episode was being made.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of all the crazy space fabrics they used on costumes and set pieces over the years on TNG because I have no taste and would love to reupholster everything with weird poo poo like that one day

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tighclops posted:

Is there a list of all the crazy space fabrics they used on costumes and set pieces over the years on TNG because I have no taste and would love to reupholster everything with weird poo poo like that one day
Ew, a book.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
A section 31 trek show would be interesting and fun to watch. I'm a little attached to the canon that exists in the prime universe but if the storytelling is interesting I don't mind it being dropped. The one thing that I definitely won't miss is the preachyness and blandness of so many episodes. It's still possible to tell interesting stories and convey a message without being so heavy handed. I guess as an adult it's just frustrating to watch something like Voyager after so much good DS9 storytelling that (at the time) i took for granted.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A section 31 trek series would just turn into a lovely version of CSI real quick. They'd never have the stomach for serialization so they'd instead do 22 one-offs which can only lead to investigative crap paired with alleyway footchases.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

shadow puppet of a posted:

A section 31 trek series would just turn into a lovely version of CSI real quick. They'd never have the stomach for serialization so they'd instead do 22 one-offs which can only lead to investigative crap paired with alleyway footchases.

Fringe has a 4 season long overarching serial plot (and a 1 season post-arc), interspersed with monsters-of-the-week, so it's not exactly outside the wheelhouse of Kurtzman. Also you're thinking of temporal investigations, not section 31. The latter already knows whats going on.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU338bxB5Lo

Jean-Luc continues indulging his tea fetish...

I'm catching up to this thread but I needed to point out this old post. loving LOL.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadow puppet of a posted:

Wouldn't the closer analogue be 21? Jack Bauer, in space?

Tujague posted:

god, those costumes are almost BBC-quality

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The whole point of section 31 is that they're morally abhorrent. They're the bad guys. A show about them could only be about the fight against them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
heh well MikeJF you see we live in what you might call a ""~~*~post-9/11 world~*~~""...

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
(yes i know you're not american and would probably say "post-11/9")

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

lol that's awesome thanks

MikeJF posted:

The whole point of section 31 is that they're morally abhorrent. They're the bad guys. A show about them could only be about the fight against them.

a lot of star trek fans are actually morally abhorrent dipshits that deserve to be spoken down to

I mean a lot of episodes fall short but the fans will always find a way to be worse

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

At best wouldn't a Section 31 show mimic Burn Notice?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, a fight against them...from the inside!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tighclops posted:

a lot of star trek fans are actually morally abhorrent dipshits that deserve to be spoken down to

Even so, it's weird how many of them don't get that S31 are evil. The show isn't subtle about it.

I mean, they wear all-black leather uniforms, you can't get any eviller by Star Trek standards.

Bombadilillo posted:

a fight against them...from the inside!

Star Trek: Alias.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 4, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah, a fight against them...from the inside!

Hail Hydra Section 31.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Even so, it's weird how many of the didn't get that S31 were evil. The show isn't subtle about it. I mean, they wear all-black leather uniforms, you can't get any eviller by Star Trek standards.

Star Trek: Alias.

Fade in.

Bashir with a beard walks into a dimly lit room. with a desk and a shadowy figure behind it.

He puts a pad on the table.

"My recommendation from Sloan. I've come to realize he was right all along, sometimes extreme measures are called for."

The figure leans forward into the light.

"Im glad you finally see it that way" says Sloan with a smile

music swells credits roll.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd have it with Lore in charge, amoral, hyper intelligent and little concern for body count if the results work out

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

We can run with B4 and have Data's lovely story all over again.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Star Trek: Blacklist

Quark comes back and he has a black book in his head with wanted and known criminals that need attention. Cisco and his cronies run off to catch the worst of the worst. Sundays on NBC.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Even so, it's weird how many of them don't get that S31 are evil. The show isn't subtle about it.

I mean, they wear all-black leather uniforms, you can't get any eviller by Star Trek standards.

i think some of those guys are just ultra-contrarian shitheads who never grew up past "gently caress you dad, society is bullshit"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think some of those guys are just ultra-contrarian shitheads who never grew up past "gently caress you dad, society is bullshit"

Nah, I think a lot of it is the bullshit 24 or Ender's Game hosed-up it's worth being evil to defend America/Space America morality, too. And of course they envision themselves being one of the few who could make the hard choice to do nasty poo poo.

A Very Sexy Baby
Sep 25, 2007

I can't help it if men are attracted to me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

MikeJF posted:

Nah, I think a lot of it is the bullshit 24 or Ender's Game hosed-up it's worth being evil to defend America/Space America morality, too. And of course they envision themselves being one of the few who could make the hard choice to do nasty poo poo.

You imply a disparity where none exists

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It looks like Wesley Crusher grew up to look a bit like Riker...

Bev's ship's doctor, so she was probably able to forge DNA records to hide an affair she had with a drunk Cadet named Willy several years earlier.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
q's pretty flirty with picard, picard should have gone with that imho. i mean q doesn't need to look like john de lancie that was, for some reason, a choice

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MikeJF posted:

There was a window after 9/11 where TV watchers would unironically support the renegade actions of Section 31, it was the same attitude that led to broad support for invading two countries that didn't attack us. That window closed around 2007 or so, nowadays the only thing that would be worse than them is Blackwater in space.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

There was a window after 9/11 where TV watchers would unironically support the renegade actions of Section 31, it was the same attitude that led to broad support for invading two countries that didn't attack us. That window closed around 2007 or so, nowadays the only thing that would be worse than them is Blackwater in space.

Ds24?

Also no, the window isn't closed. Trump is going to be a real life president. America is 51% retarded

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

It looks like Wesley Crusher grew up to look a bit like Riker...

I don't see it?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

MikeJF posted:

I don't see it?

That's what Wesley imagines he'll look like because he still thinks Jack Crusher is his father.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

For all of Orson Scott Card's flaws (he has many) and as terrible as his writing gets (it's awful), the whole point of the first two Ender books was actually that the humans behaved monstrously and committed genocide and Ender basically becomes a figure synonymous with evil. Though I'm sure a lot of people read the first book and just thought "yeah, cool, blow up the aliens!" and didn't get how morally monstrous the twist ending is supposed to be.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Tujague posted:

* Surly, grouchy but brilliant young kid who occasionally saves the whole ship using his Iphone (captures millenials)

* Divorced dad retired-soldier captain guy (captures aging nerd men)

* Alien who switches genders frequently has running conflict with ignorant crewman who refuses to use correct pronoun

* Autistic character (For actual trekkies who will watch anyway no matter what)

*Conflicted half-klingon, half-vulcan half-romulan (Ties the setting) (Also psychic) (Dies in season 2 closer)

* Strong independent woman who kung-fu fights in a leather V-kini

* Actual main character young officer with promise audience insert

* Couple racial token characters (doctors or whatever)

* War against sneaky religious aliens who wear towels on their heads

There's no need for you to describe yourself for us in detail. :heysexy:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Regarding S31 being bad guys, they aren't immoral, simply amoral.

When Sloan is talking to Bashir he's not talking about world domination or anything, he's talking about defending the Federation.

When Bashir tells him they have too much power, he admits it takes exceptional people to do what they do, showing there's an agreement that they have a lot of power that shouldn't be wielded by just anyone. Only those good enough to not "abuse" it.

They never do anything on screen like slaughter children or anything like that, the worst they do is fairly standard (though sci-fi TV exagerated) 21st century black ops missions.

I think there would be traction in the show because Star Trek historically provides a commentary on modern day attitudes and politics from on high. "Look how stupid our race was 300 years ago we are morally superior".

S31 could do the same thing from the other side. The main characters do things that aren't really all that uncommon in the modern day (like extra judicial killing of terrorists) which may inspire sympathy or agreement from the audience, but then you get to see how the rest of society views the act as abhorrent, and the lengths they go to hide their true 21st century caveman feelings.

You can even have that one main character who comes across as more willing to do horrific things faster than the others, which then makes the other characters and the audience question whether it is the right thing. You can also explore the extent to which lies and cover ups are needed to hide the fact the act ever happened, with main characters lying to their wives about their jobs (their wives being typical Federation citizens who would take issue with S31).

There would be no 24-esque "Well jack did break all our laws on torture and due process but he saved us from terrorists again well done" but more "Well this guy was assassinated without proper trial or due process, yes we were saved from a terrorist attack but we have someone killing people they personally decide are threats, without oversight or challenge".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In anything even approaching a realistic world, amorality is always, always immoral. It's as simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

So you're saying my toaster, which 'lacks a moral sense', is immoral. In your 'real world'. Sniped anyone on the way to the bank you pathetic psychopath?

• Locked thread