Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

You should be pulling names from roller derby.

Pentacle agents Stone Cold Jane Austen and Blunt Force Mama fight to free the Greater Manhattan Area from the grip of the Seers and their ruthless Tetrarch, Brawly Ringwald.

Thanks, I'm now throwing out all the NPCs for my NYC Mage game and replacing them with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Picking Thor or Yahweh or something as your shadow name is the ultimate alpha move because you know nobody else had the nerve to.

All the other Mages who started out naming themselves Thor but realized after six months how loving stupid they looked and sounded all avoid eye contact.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
It was a thing in the Skulduggery Pleasant books that you only get one Shadow Name and if you pick something like "Blade Nightchill" and then fifty years down the line you're a fat bald dude, you will get laughed at. Mages are strongly encouraged to come up with something reasonable to avoid this.

I loving love Shadow Names as a concept though. Played well, the right Shadow Name can tell the players an awful lot about NPC mages. Hmm that Free Council Obrimos called himself Duke Nukem, I wonder what his world view might be?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Attorney at Funk posted:

All the other Mages who started out naming themselves Thor but realized after six months how loving stupid they looked and sounded all avoid eye contact.

I just think they got constantly bombarded with jokes in the vein of "You thay you're Thor? I bet you could barely thit down after thex latht night!"

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Ferrinus posted:

Picking Thor or Yahweh or something as your shadow name is the ultimate alpha move because you know nobody else had the nerve to.

actually, this is at most half a step above a neonate calling themselves Lestat

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gtrmp posted:

Yes, that's the penultimate alpha move.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is there anything stopping a Mage from going the Prince route and making his Shadow Name really loving hard to pronounce or not even a name?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kavak posted:

Is there anything stopping a Mage from going the Prince route and making his Shadow Name really loving hard to pronounce or not even a name?

The practicality of using it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kavak posted:

Everyone at the local Consilium barely suppressing a snicker whenever they use it. Libertines complimenting you on how creative it is. Acamoth telling you to come back when you're serious when you introduce yourself.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gtrmp posted:

Where is Turbodracula on the naming scale?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

1/10 to anyone who takes Mage stuff really serious (In-game), 11/10 to everyone else.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Effectronica posted:

Everyone at the local Consilium barely suppressing a snicker whenever they use it. Libertines complimenting you on how creative it is. Acamoth telling you to come back when you're serious when you introduce yourself.

Acamoth would actually be the only one who know how to pronounce your weird hosed up squiggle name correctly, driving you insane instantly when they do so.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Loomer posted:

But, instead, we get poo poo like this.
You wanna post your source for that quote there, champ?

Yawgmoth posted:

That depends. What's your drive score, and how much crazy poo poo can you do while driving?

If you're a vampire with the right specs, it drat near makes you an automatic prince.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Trollhawke posted:

That depends. What's your drive, and how much crazy poo poo can you do while driving?

If you're a vampire with the right specs, it drat near makes you an automatic prince.

...are you talking about the vampire I played with Drive (Carmageddon) as a specialty, or is this just a really weird coincidence?

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Daeren posted:

...are you talking about the vampire I played with Drive (Carmageddon) as a specialty, or is this just a really weird coincidence?

I didn't know you played a vampire with drive at all, but good choice.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Trollhawke posted:

That depends. What's your drive score, and how much crazy poo poo can you do while driving?

Hahah, do you have a problem with me pointing out stupid poo poo?

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/...rged-x10/page37

Knock yerself out.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Trollhawke posted:

I didn't know you played a vampire with drive at all, but good choice.

I ran out of Specialty ideas when making him so I just gave him Carmageddon since he had like two dots in Drive. It represented that the more he drove like a maniac in an action movie, the better he was at it.

It eventually became one of his most relied-upon skills. Turns out that you can solve a surprising number of problems when you are not only completely and unhesitatingly willing to, but incredibly able to leap a highway divider and drive into oncoming traffic at triple digit speeds in a panel van without dying!

(It also makes you deal with a police investigation into who the gently caress the street-racing maniac in the panel van with a wizard airbrushed on it is, but hey, omelets and eggs.)

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

Loomer posted:

Hahah, do you have a problem with me pointing out stupid poo poo?

Nah, just seeing if your source had anything else funny.

Cheers mate.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Trollhawke posted:

Nah, just seeing if your source had anything else funny.

Cheers mate.

Thanks for the posts, chief.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kavak posted:

Can you make your shadow name a symbol? Can you go around calling yourself the Arcanist formerly known as Greg?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kind of defeats the point of a shadow name if you tell people what your real name is by trying to tell them what to refer to you as.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Loomer posted:

Man, the amount of negativity floating around about Paradox buying WW is absurd. As we all know, Paradox aren't one of those companies that know anything about managing obscure nerd properties with insane, devoted fanbases full of toxic factionalism and downright absurd beliefs about history and their product... oh, wait a minute. That poo poo is their bread and butter. You couldn't ask for a better owning company when it comes to that poo poo.

But, instead, we get poo poo like this.

Because as we all know, giving people the ability to mod your games = I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY IP AT ALL. Now, nevermind that a highly moddable RPG set in the WoDs would be incredible in terms of letting us tell our own stories, change it to 'fix' clan balance, make a hardcore grognard mode, etc - mods are baaad, mkay?

Wait, there is negativity? A lot of what I have seen is positive. All CCP did with the property was fail to make a WoW clone and clearly cared more about Eve than its WoD IPs. It has been left rotting for years now and Paradox is a great gaming company.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Are there still online communities for WoD games? There used to be some forum/chat based games set up back in the early 2000's that ranged from hilariously bad to decent, and pbem games as well. Do those even exist anymore? I didn't find many current ones during my quick and lazy googling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dapper Dan posted:

Wait, there is negativity?

I think he means in the WoD community at large, which is incapable of being positive about any change.

It does look like the people over at VEKN are seeing this as a fresh shot at reprinting VtES, however. They released some info about a Kickstarter they'd been planning with One Book Shelf, including a box mock-up.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 5, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Prickly Pete posted:

Are there still online communities for WoD games? There used to be some forum/chat based games set up back in the early 2000's that ranged from hilariously bad to decent, and pbem games as well. Do those even exist anymore? I didn't find many current ones during my quick and lazy googling.

I used to play a lot of them, but I remember them fading around the time of Requiem. I lost touch with most of the people I knew. It seems to be relegated to small online groups and maybe MUSHes.

moths posted:

I think he means in the WoD community at large, which is incapable of being positive about any change.

It does look like the people over at VEKN are seeing this as a fresh shot at reprinting VtES, however. They released some info about a Kickstarter they'd been planning with One Book Shelf, including a box mock-up.

Ah, that makes sense Still, it is the best choice besides maybe CDProjekt. It would be cool if they did something like VtmR, with the storyteller system like NWN. I used to play the hell out of it despite being so limiting. loving WoN network, eight players to a map and leaving games to change maps. But it was fun to get a group together and at the time it was unique since NWN wasn't out yet.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

Kind of defeats the point of a shadow name if you tell people what your real name is by trying to tell them what to refer to you as.
Joke's on you, Arcanist formerly known as Greg's real name is Steve.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Libertine Obrimos, shadow name; Green Lantern.
*gets devoured by paradox halfway through session 2*

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Error 404 posted:

Libertine Obrimos, shadow name; Green Lantern.
*gets devoured by paradox halfway through session 2*

Plot hook: Mastigos Apostate shadow-named Sinestro tries to unite the Lancea Sanctum, Hunters in Darkness, Autumn Court, Scarecrow Ministry, a few dozen fear spirits, some local hunters, and a Beast into the Sinestro Corps.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fans universally pan the event for admitting that Beasts exist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SIlver Ladder Moros with the Shadow Name Leon Trotsky.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Dapper Dan posted:

Wait, there is negativity? A lot of what I have seen is positive. All CCP did with the property was fail to make a WoW clone and clearly cared more about Eve than its WoD IPs. It has been left rotting for years now and Paradox is a great gaming company.

Yes, there's lots of negativity floating about, and lots of peculiar fears about what's to come. Personally, I'm all for the acquisition.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

SIlver Ladder Moros with the Shadow Name Leon Trotsky.

I tried playing exactly that character in a WW2 setting game but the game died on the launch pad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jim truds posted:

I tried playing exactly that character in a WW2 setting game but the game died on the launch pad.

I'm disappointed you didn't get brutally murdered in Mexico.

Edit: Character! I meant your character!

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
I did it, I found an Adamantine Arrow lawyer: http://www.lawiswar.com/about-conrad/

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ocanthus posted:

I did it, I found an Adamantine Arrow lawyer: http://www.lawiswar.com/about-conrad/

Holy poo poo, this guy is a direct to video action movie hero waiting to happen.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Ocanthus posted:

Holy poo poo, the hype is real. Existence Is War, everybody.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Welp, found my next Mage character.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
So let's say you're a werewolf in a rural, impoverished, but not blighted/DustBowled area in 1937. You have some cool Merits - what's the coolest? I'm especially looking for specifics in terms of social merits.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

JDCorley posted:

So let's say you're a werewolf in a rural, impoverished, but not blighted/DustBowled area in 1937. You have some cool Merits - what's the coolest? I'm especially looking for specifics in terms of social merits.

The one that lets me have my union bros back me up. Things might be going badly, but Miners' Local 221 has my back, and I've got theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
What do you mean "the coolest"