Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

Word on the street is that this HH boxed game will be some dumb new heresy game... Which will be entirely separate from what forgeworld is doing. For how long? Who knows.

It being a "new" "separate" game is the tiniest of figleaves over the fact that they're trying to prop up their reports by selling plastic MkIV armor to idiots.

quote:

Spend 150 Euros -> free dice (unsure if just one or multiple);

if only our use of language took into account a difference between singular and plural forms of a word

then we might finally know the answer to this question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Bad at money guy has a cool model a WERETURTLE

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Imma just stick with tha OG tortoise man, but thanks anyway.

V edit: holy poo poo he's right V

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 5, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
No really guys, I wasn't joking. The die has seven pips. You can roll a seven.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Buying something you want doesn't make you an idiot. It makes you a happy consumer.

Something GW is having a hard figuring out since they also boxes a bunch of chaff with the 30k set.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

Imma just stick with tha OG tortoise man, but thanks anyway.

So many questions.... Is his shield a defeated brother? Is his club a case of infanticide?

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Gravy Train Robber posted:

No really guys, I wasn't joking. The die has seven pips. You can roll a seven.

Yeah totally worth spending several hundred euros as a bonus.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LingcodKilla posted:

At face value yes. But when you play with a very small group that imposes some self restraint on its self it can be fun.
You realize that this is exactly what they want you to think about AoS, right? My irony-meter is really loving broken right now with all of the linguistic/semantic bullshit going on in this thread, so PLEASE tell me you were just talking trash and also hate 40K.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

So many questions.... Is his shield a defeated brother? Is his club a case of infanticide?

That mini inspired me to make one of the coolest dnd characters I ever had. He was a tortoise cleric named Albrecht who worshipped the wind fish (yes that wind fish). He was a solipsist cleric from a nearby island nation that resembled galapagos. I really spent a lot of time thinking about what kind of deity a tortoise person would worship, and what sort of weapons tortoises would use to kill each other.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

It's like a total conversion to 7th edition that makes it more like 6.5. It's technically based on 7th but it's different enough that it plays very differently down to it's own standard mission types, detachment rules, and the way allies work. It's more than army lists, but less than a completely new thing.
Best part of 30k? No loving formations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

Best part of 30k? No loving formations.

yet

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why must you say such things be right. :negative:

I've been holding onto some vague hope of playing 30k at some point, but I'm sure by the time I get around to it GW will have hosed it over completely like they have 40k.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GW is a horrible company so it'll happen eventually. That said it's been a good 3 years of stability as the flagship product spiralled into poo poo. The eye is slowly turning, but I expect a few more years before it turns into Age of Heresy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ilor posted:

You realize that this is exactly what they want you to think about AoS, right? My irony-meter is really loving broken right now with all of the linguistic/semantic bullshit going on in this thread, so PLEASE tell me you were just talking trash and also hate 40K.

Will it break you if I answer your question in a way that upsets you?

40k is currently terrible, has been bad but has a great depth of character. And since it's likely I've been playing longer than you have been alive I'm kinda attached to the setting. I don't plan on ever playing competitions again, don't particularly want to buy anything new, will not buy anything written by them. I'm perfectly happy playing with friends on a low key basis.

AOS is terrible. Has no depth. Is awful. Stinks. Bad models. Zero desire to play. No way to compare model effectiveness (lol wounds).

It's too bad too. I'm the kind of guy that would spend money on a game I enjoy that I thought wasn't actively trying to gently caress me. Hell I've spent around $200 on XWing in the last two months.
And it makes me happy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Bandai is making a lot of Grazes. Graze, Graze Kai, Schwalbe Graze, and now Gaelio's Schwalbe Graze! That's four Grazes, and the show isn't even over yet! Pretty big change from how they handled Renconguista in G, where they didn't even make a goddamn Recten, or Gaitrash

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

LingcodKilla posted:

And since it's likely I've been playing longer than you have been alive

I don't think that's physically possible since Ilor has a copy of Rogue Trader that he bought for himself back in 1988. Dude's been 'hamming since 'hamming was invented.

This does make me wonder just how the demographics of 40K have fared in the last few years. I used to go to a GW store to paint and do pickup games and it was essentially free daycare after the day was over for the local middle school. The store has closed since then, as have many many GW stores, and I understand that they've reduced the playing space in many of the remaining stores. So how the hell does GW get a 13 year old to give up his allowance these days? They're likely not using a Paypal account or their parents credit card on the webstore, right? I have to assume the player base is getting older and there's not a lot of new, young blood coming in at all. Right?

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

boom boom boom posted:

Bandai is making a lot of Grazes. Graze, Graze Kai, Schwalbe Graze, and now Gaelio's Schwalbe Graze! That's four Grazes, and the show isn't even over yet! Pretty big change from how they handled Renconguista in G, where they didn't even make a goddamn Recten, or Gaitrash

:siren: GIVE ANIME MONEY :siren:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Traveller posted:

:siren: GIVE ANIME MONEY :siren:

gently caress, I missed that they announced a Graze Ares too! That's five different Grazes!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

There are no good games of 40k

LingcodKilla posted:

40k is currently terrible, has been bad but ...

LingcodKilla posted:

But ... it can be fun.

Fun ≠ good.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

We can say "There are no good games of 40k, but there are fun games of 40k" and everyone will be happy*

* "be happy" here may be read as "move to slapfighting over a slightly different semantic point"

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

We can say "There are no good games of 40k, but there are fun games of 40k" and everyone will be happy*
*Except Tyranids

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
B3, was that faux wood thing you posted earlier Epyon vs Wing from Gundam Wing? Cuz it rules.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LingcodKilla posted:

Will it break you if I answer your question in a way that upsets you?
Not in the slightest. Unlike what apparently transpired in the 30K thread, I don't go tilt when I am DISAGREED WITH BY SOMEONE ON THE INTERNETS!!!! So it's all good.

LingcodKilla posted:

40k is currently terrible...
Preacher, meet choir.

LingcodKilla posted:

...has been bad but has a great depth of character.
Agreed. The backstory of much of the fluff is pretty cool, despite the incessant retcons and creeping morph of the setting from tongue-in-cheek satire to "No, seriously, it's grim. And dark."

LingcodKilla posted:

And since it's likely I've been playing longer than you have been alive I'm kinda attached to the setting.
BlackIronHeart speaks true: when I first started playing 40K, you could equip all of your marines with riot shields and shuriken catapults, and give them slings to make them able to huck their grenades farther. Not to mention design your own vehicles. Rogue Trader all the way, baby!

LingcodKilla posted:

It's too bad too. I'm the kind of guy that would spend money on a game I enjoy that I thought wasn't actively trying to gently caress me. Hell I've spent around $200 on XWing in the last two months.
And it makes me happy.
That's kind of where I am, except that even in our relatively small meta of close friends, there's no balance. I play Necrons (holy poo poo strong) and Imperial Gua...er, Astra Militarum (holy poo poo weak) while Selnaric plays Eldar (OMFGDWeapons!), BlackIronHeart plays Orks (holy poo poo I don't know why he bothers) and another dude plays Black Templars and Tau ("Yay, free stuff" and "let's twin-link and therefore re-roll literally everything!"). It is virtually impossible to balance those factions as written. And while we have kicked around the idea of backing off to previous editions (4th is the one we seem to all like best), we're left with no way to cost units in any meaningful way, which means we're essentially at an AoS-style "gentlemens' agreement" about what to bring, which really loses something. I tried some pretty hard-core mathematical modeling (it's part of what I do professionally) to try to capture unit effectiveness, but realized pretty quickly that even with a number of really dodgy assumptions (mostly about the amount of cover on the board, the "typical" distance to objectives, and the likelihood of charging vs being charged) poo poo was just too complicated, and further that point costs would need to be recalculated for every unit in the game every time a new unit was released or an existing unit was changed. And that's before formations starting giving people free poo poo for the simple act of buying more models.

So we're left with a choice - we can either continue to have games that have a high-percentage chance of ending up as deeply unsatisfying (and just plain un-fun) blow-outs, or spend a bunch of time and effort play-testing our home-grown rules and points costs to try to balance stuff (which sounds an awful lot like work). I've got little kids, so who has the time for that poo poo? And plus also, isn't that what I pay GW for when I'm buying the rules? The answer, of course, is "apparently not."

So at this point, I have very little motivation left in my to play 40K, which means I have even less motivation to paint stuff. I've got a Triarch Stalker sitting on my workbench that's like 90% finished. Every time I look at it, I just wince. And console myself by painting Infinity minis, which are awesome and go along with a game that's actually really fun to play. If dogfighting grabbed my imagination more, I probably would have taken up XWangs like you.

I'm strongly considering selling off 40K poo poo (most of which is new-in-box/blister and much of which is still in shrink wrap) to finance my new Infinity habit because I just don't have faith that GW is going to do anything to make 40K an enjoyable game again in my lifetime.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

Fun ≠ good.

Broken Loose Broken Loose Broken Loose

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Merge all Assassin's Creed threads into one IMO

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

VanSandman posted:

B3, was that faux wood thing you posted earlier Epyon vs Wing from Gundam Wing? Cuz it rules.

Yeah, and yeah it does. Here's more pictures

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2015/11/another-late-night-diorama-gbwc-2015.html

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ilor posted:

Not in the slightest. Unlike what apparently transpired in the 30K thread, I don't go tilt when I am DISAGREED WITH BY SOMEONE ON THE INTERNETS!!!! So it's all good.

Preacher, meet choir.

Agreed. The backstory of much of the fluff is pretty cool, despite the incessant retcons and creeping morph of the setting from tongue-in-cheek satire to "No, seriously, it's grim. And dark."

BlackIronHeart speaks true: when I first started playing 40K, you could equip all of your marines with riot shields and shuriken catapults, and give them slings to make them able to huck their grenades farther. Not to mention design your own vehicles. Rogue Trader all the way, baby!

That's kind of where I am, except that even in our relatively small meta of close friends, there's no balance. I play Necrons (holy poo poo strong) and Imperial Gua...er, Astra Militarum (holy poo poo weak) while Selnaric plays Eldar (OMFGDWeapons!), BlackIronHeart plays Orks (holy poo poo I don't know why he bothers) and another dude plays Black Templars and Tau ("Yay, free stuff" and "let's twin-link and therefore re-roll literally everything!"). It is virtually impossible to balance those factions as written. And while we have kicked around the idea of backing off to previous editions (4th is the one we seem to all like best), we're left with no way to cost units in any meaningful way, which means we're essentially at an AoS-style "gentlemens' agreement" about what to bring, which really loses something. I tried some pretty hard-core mathematical modeling (it's part of what I do professionally) to try to capture unit effectiveness, but realized pretty quickly that even with a number of really dodgy assumptions (mostly about the amount of cover on the board, the "typical" distance to objectives, and the likelihood of charging vs being charged) poo poo was just too complicated, and further that point costs would need to be recalculated for every unit in the game every time a new unit was released or an existing unit was changed. And that's before formations starting giving people free poo poo for the simple act of buying more models.

So we're left with a choice - we can either continue to have games that have a high-percentage chance of ending up as deeply unsatisfying (and just plain un-fun) blow-outs, or spend a bunch of time and effort play-testing our home-grown rules and points costs to try to balance stuff (which sounds an awful lot like work). I've got little kids, so who has the time for that poo poo? And plus also, isn't that what I pay GW for when I'm buying the rules? The answer, of course, is "apparently not."

So at this point, I have very little motivation left in my to play 40K, which means I have even less motivation to paint stuff. I've got a Triarch Stalker sitting on my workbench that's like 90% finished. Every time I look at it, I just wince. And console myself by painting Infinity minis, which are awesome and go along with a game that's actually really fun to play. If dogfighting grabbed my imagination more, I probably would have taken up XWangs like you.

I'm strongly considering selling off 40K poo poo (most of which is new-in-box/blister and much of which is still in shrink wrap) to finance my new Infinity habit because I just don't have faith that GW is going to do anything to make 40K an enjoyable game again in my lifetime.

Yeah I've only been playing since 91 when started high school with some new friends.

Still enjoy painting but I paint very slow and sporadically.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

boom boom boom posted:

gently caress, I missed that they announced a Graze Ares too! That's five different Grazes!

You know what, I hate how gundams look but this one just feels really right to me

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's got long legs and heels but distinctly lacks nipple guns.
0/10
A shameful robit.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
somewhat prominent codpiece though. 3/10?
and purple is cool, 5/10.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ilor posted:

(4th is the one we seem to all like best), we're left with no way to cost units in any meaningful way

Do you not have 4e codexes or are you unable to get them from eBay? I remember some things being a bit unbalanced back then, but surely using that as the starting point you'd have a much easier time than trying to rebalance the game in its current form.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
If you want to use your minis, buy Warpath when its out.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
He's probably talking about costing new units that didn't exist in 4th edition. We actually do have all the relevant codices for our respective armies in all older editions but if someone deploys a Wraithknight, Heldrake or Gorkanaut, we can't really use 7th edition rules and points. USR's, overwatch, strength D, all that poo poo didn't exist in 4th edition and some big parts of the rules were quite different back then. So what's a fair points value? There's no real way to calculate that.

Not a viking posted:

If you want to use your minis, buy Warpath when its out.

Yeah, Mantic got $300 out of me for Warpath.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know those people who say that the Tzeentch Kairos + Screaming Bell trick won't work because of the die? Or that you can't roll 13 on two die by themselves?

Hmmm?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

literally the worst special offer I've ever seen

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My local GW has posters up in the windows announcing HORUS HERESY being released on the 14th.

Are they sigmarining 40k?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just a little bit.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

LordAba posted:

You know those people who say that the Tzeentch Kairos + Screaming Bell trick won't work because of the die? Or that you can't roll 13 on two die by themselves?

Hmmm?

Literally on this page :smith:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
'follow the Path further and grap this unique Tzeentch patch'? wft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I remember the Skullz promo they had. That was cool.
Getting a 7sided dice after 150squid is not cool.

• Locked thread