Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't think that we are near the "die off" date. Isn't that by 2030?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelvetRiver
Dec 1, 2014

Her name for it is highly accurate.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Solkanar512 posted:

Which other communities are disenfranchised by all mail ballots (that aren't by the standard system), and how are mail in ballots disenfranchising in a way that having to be at a specific polling place is not?

I've met multiple religious types who brag that their vote counts twice as much because their proper Christian wife votes as she is told to.

In a voting booth she can vote however she wants and then tell her husband she voted his way to keep the peace. With mail in ballots he can directly intimidate her.

I love mail in ballots personally. So convenient. But I worry that they disenfranchise women trapped in hyper religious communities.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My final vote tally for dictator of Amesbury

district 2 city council: 1 vote
District 5 city council: 12 votes
School committee: 3 votes
Planning board 4 year: 4 votes
Planning board 2 year: 21 votes (2nd place)
Library trustee 4 year: 3 votes
Housing authority: 32 votes (win)

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Joementum posted:

Delegates to the convention used to be selected by the state party chairs, who could then speak for their entire delegation, allowing them to broker deals with the candidates for support. Sometimes they even represented multiple delegations. Strom Thurmond guaranteed Nixon the Southern state delegations at the '68 convention in exchange for a promise that the Nixon administration wouldn't pursue busing and selection of the VP. He gave Nixon a list of acceptable VPs and that's how Agnew happened.

I was amazed when I learned that Humphrey didn't even run in any primaries but still ended up with the nomination. I knew the old system was very cigars-in-back-rooms but wow that's corrupt as hell.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

He is now though.

Just because the kid is holy now does't mean he's going to heaven.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I still can't believe they're letting Trump host SNL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehIiDTDzENY

I hope he walks off, or one of the cast members walks off, or at the very least Sia pulls a Sinead O'Connor.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, parts of North Minneapolis are worse than Mississippi in that regard, but it's a problem that we've recognized and are working on.

Numbers from the reservations might be doing more to drag averages down because they were really bad last I looked. Those numbers aren't totally the state's fault, though, due to the arrangements with the federal government that are involved, but still: :smith:

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

There was a pretty great book written about this subject in 2012 called Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. I don't know how prophetic it was because it was written in 2012 about the Pentagon paying for a mega-tour of hero marines during the Super Bowl halftime show. They're probably making it into a movie with Vin Disel as one of the main characters. I thought it was one of the better books about the Iraq war I've read.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

AmericanBarbarian fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 5, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The government and technology:

quote:

Repeated crashes of a version of the Microsoft Outlook program in recent months stymied the State Department's ability to respond to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit demanding former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's schedules, according to a new court filing.

"Even when Outlook was able to index the .pst files, the program often crashed before S/ES-S could save the results of its searches, despite regular efforts to do so. This slowed down S/ES-S searches for other requests and further prevented it from starting on the email searches tor Request A," Degnan wrote.

A FOIA request, already delayed for five years, is still unable to be fulfilled because of the impenetrable might that is Microsoft Outlook errors.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

May your reign be long and merciless :getin:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Edit: the database is up then it's down then it's up then it's down...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The government and technology:

A FOIA request, already delayed for five years, is still unable to be fulfilled because of the impenetrable might that is Microsoft Outlook errors.

To be fair, PST files are comically bad at performing the way people abuse them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rand is apparently making a campaign stop at my college. He's so dead in the water at this point it's not really worth going for the possibility of making fun of him.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

FAUXTON posted:

When they start apportioning electoral votes by district results rather than state results. Take Pennsylvania for instance. It's basically one decent city, one "actually West Virginia but close enough" city, and a bunch of inbred fucks who talk like boomhauer and say yinz in between the cities. Population-wise the majority of voters in the state are going to be in those cities, and a huge majority of those city-dwellers are not down with the GOP. Moreso in the decent city than the 'burgh, but the stats legislature can draw electoral districts so that they concentrate as much of the civilized vote into as few districts as possible, while slathering the mumbling chickenfucker hill people vote as thinly as possible across all districts while still maintaining majorities.

Now, come every 4 years, you have the people in the cities always outvoting the loving filth in the woods. If they stop counting votes and just start counting familial-amplified birth defects per acre as a metric for awarding each district's electoral vote, then you've got like 14 wasteland districts with 50.1% dogshit and 5 with decent people running up the score 80-20, and you award 14 EVs to Ricky Boucher or whoever these dumb shits warble for, and 5 to Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or whoever.

As of tonight Pennsylvania is not in danger of pulling this, seeing as their SCOTUS got a good infusion of competency.

Pittsburgh has one of the highest literacy rates in the country, you weirdly furious douchebag

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy_in_the_United_States#Central_Connecticut_State_University

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Correct. Brady won the assignment today, making it seven of them chairing committees total.

But I was wrong about there being only one select committee. That's true at the moment, but there's about to be a second. Here are the list of Democrats who will serve on it, via Pelosi (she did not use the official committee name):

And of course five of the six appointments are women. How many women did the Republicans appoint to the committee? Without knowing off the top of my head, I'm gonna guess... one.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
TPP full-text, it seems: http://www.mfat.govt.nz/Treaties-and-International-Law/01-Treaties-for-which-NZ-is-Depositary/0-Trans-Pacific-Partnership-Text.php

It's worse than we thought:

quote:

All creative digital works (including, but not limited to digitial images, video, and Internet memes) are now subject to full copyright restriction equal to the duration of the original author's life plus 75 years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm going to bed, but I have complete confidence that one of you will have gone through this and posted about what our opinion of it should be by the morn.

Accretionist posted:

It's worse than we thought:
Oh, wait, nevermind, opinion already set.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Judge I think you'll find proof, enclosed here, that I emailed a photo of my cat to my mother in the 90s.

Therefore, I deserve residuals off all cat-related macros, in perpetuity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Remember that South Park episode that was about the writer's strike but was framed as being about Canada? That's all I can think of regarding this, that it's a bunch of old people thinking "hey, what about that internet money, we want some of that"

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The good news is that now KC Green can go after people for abuse of Dick Butt and Matt Furie can crack down on all that lovely Rare Pepe stuff.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

KiteAuraan posted:

The good news is that now KC Green can go after people for abuse of Dick Butt and Matt Furie can crack down on all that lovely Rare Pepe stuff.

also loss.jpg :stonk:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
well i'm hosed, if memes are now illegal

edit: is goatman now copyrighted? what about 2girls1cup, since sa provided funding for it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

well i'm hosed, if memes are now illegal

edit: is goatman now copyrighted? what about 2girls1cup, since sa provided funding for it.

Not unless TPP is also retroactive.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Really we just need to replace the word meme. Go back to the greek root imo.

Everyone who wants to say 'meme' instead should painstakingly type out μίμημα, unless they hate their freedom.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 5, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a change to US copyright law, it just extends our law to the Pacific rim countries.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Memes were already copyrighted. It's just a major pain in the rear end to prove ownership. I know the dude who drew that stupid trollface has enforced his copyright.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Joementum posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, that's not a change to US copyright law, it just extends our law to the Pacific rim countries.

Yeah, it's been said here before but the TPP is less "gently caress over internet people in America" and more "Try to loving get China to stop wantonly stealing everyone's poo poo".

Pillowpants posted:

I need to figure out what the local positions for my area are. This sounds like fun. Sadly where I live is unincorporated and doesn't even seem to have a city website. I think it's just covered under the county which means 0% chance of a Lulz campaign.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

So, in a very real way, all their memes are belong to us?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So apparently Ben Carson's autobiography might have straight up fabrications in it:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/politics/ben-carson-2016-childhood-violence/index.html

tl;dr: In his book he admits to a variety of violent acts at school, but his classmates say that they have no memory of any of these things happening and further say that it's difficult to believe they could have happened even hypothetically.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
why does ben carson lie about things that make him look even worse than he is?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So basically, Carson was one of those kids with violent fantasies that convinced himself he actually did them?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

The worse he was the better the redemption story.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
William Shearon is the new Mayor of Branenton Beach, FL, having drawn the Ace of Clubs and beating incumbent Mayor Jack Clarke who drew the Ten of Clubs.

The election was decided in this manner after a recount confirmed a 195-195 vote tie.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

William Shearon is the new Mayor of Branenton Beach, FL, having drawn the Ace of Clubs and beating incumbent Mayor Jack Clarke who drew the Ten of Clubs.

The election was decided in this manner after a recount confirmed a 195-195 vote tie.

That's awesome.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Joementum posted:

That video was so anticlimactic.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:911:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

So get this. In the US, the constitution has a section reading, "to promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries." This is the sentence on which copyright and patent law are based.

Copyright in the US lasts for seventy-five years after the creator is dead. In theory, the fruits of someone's labor could be locked away from public use for over a century and a half. If it were retroactively applied, then works written in the mid-1800s would just now be entering public domain, assuming the author created the work early-ish in their life and died at an old age.

Suppose you write a massively popular work. Not only are you financially successful due to the work you produced (probably a good thing), but so will your children and your children's children, and your children's children's children. This results in crazy garbage poo poo like MLK's I Have a Dream speech being locked away from our culture and a frequent topic of costly lawsuits, all to enrich the rightsholders of MLK's speech, none of whom had anything to do with creating the speech in the first place.

Copyright in the US is robbing our culture of important historical works and useful derivative works, and the fact that we're trying to inflict that insanity on the rest of the world is criminal. gently caress copyright maximalists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The goon that came up with Slenderman needs to get his lawyers going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fist pump.

Riptor posted:

To look like a reformed thug. See, he could have been a naughty black but instead is just a quiet religious fundie. Wouldn't it be better if he could do that to all of them?

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 5, 2015

• Locked thread