Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
What about actual cave men, aka 'ortho smash?'

I'm also pleased to see Sohi in cabinet, I was worried he wouldn't get in both due to the recount and regional concerns -aka I assumed Alberta would only get Hehr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

Friendly ribbing. Surgeons are assholes, radiologists are cave dwellers, psychiatrists are all crazy but I have good friends in all specialties. I'm well aware that my own field of family medicine has a not-unjustified reputation as being the field you fall into if you're too dumb to do anything else.

That goes for actual physicians however. I have nothing but scorn for naturopaths, homeopaths, "traditional" chiropractors, and other non-evidence-based "doctors".

poo poo dude, family medicine is the most important field there is and I wish there was a greater push to get more young energetic and brilliant students into it.

Also, if the prejudice against dentists isn't that they're mercenary, you should look at changing it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think any orthopaedic surgeon would actually be upset if you said their specialty was carving out peg legs for pirates.

I think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baudin posted:

What about actual cave men, aka 'ortho smash?'

I'm also pleased to see Sohi in cabinet, I was worried he wouldn't get in both due to the recount and regional concerns -aka I assumed Alberta would only get Hehr.

I'm quite glad we got Sohi too, it's good to see both major cities in Alberta represented and from everything I've heard he'll be a great minister for infrastructure. I'm guessing he'll also be quite a good advocate against C-24 and many elements of C-51 given his personal history.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Helsing posted:

I do wish he'd move on from using "SJW" so much, it's become even more played out than "Craftbeer Marxist". My humble suggestion for a new term would be "Cannabis Communists".

well according to his rap sheet he's gonna get a probation any time he talks about weed or SJWs, so...

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

PT6A posted:

We can only hope!

Hopefully the rockets will be integrated into busses and trains and be used to shoot the drunken reprobates, beggars, and people with poor personal hygiene to someplace where they don't bother everyone. This would increase the appeal of public transit dramatically!

I'm sure this has everything to do with you being a downtown Calgary person.
Pro-tip: gently caress downtown Calgary

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

Cultural Imperial is great and I'd never put him on ignore. The way he combines utter contempt for 99% of human life and a fixation on consumption based lifestyle indicators is endlessly enjoyable. It's like David Brooks and Benito Mussolini had an ethnically Han love child.

I do wish he'd move on from using "SJW" so much, it's become even more played out than "Craftbeer Marxist". My humble suggestion for a new term would be "Cannabis Communists".

This was before I joined the thread, but that's actually pretty funny.

And yeah the SJW has been worn thin for a while, you need some new material CI.

e: me speel good

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

P.d0t posted:

I'm sure this has everything to do with you being a downtown Calgary person.
Pro-tip: gently caress downtown Calgary

Hey, many parts of downtown Calgary don't suck, and I'm guessing a lot of people will extremely questionable personal hygiene are travelling from the suburbs. I'll give homeless people (who don't bother anyone) a pass, since it isn't really their fault, but gently caress you if you're employed and don't think you need to bathe regularly.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Nuke downtown Calgary

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

So British Columbia is a barrel of laughs these days.

quote:

"Humourously I speculated that maybe the premier made the decision in the midst of her morning shower on the way to UBCM because she didn't have anything else to say,"

This made me have impure thoughts about Christy Clark.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Cannabis communists is such a mouthful! How about "Toking trots"?

Son, have you been smoken the commie reefer? Your eyes are pinko.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

Cultural Imperial is great and I'd never put him on ignore. The way he combines utter contempt for 99% of human life and a fixation on consumption based lifestyle indicators is endlessly enjoyable. It's like David Brooks and Benito Mussolini had an ethnically Han love child.

That is a valid take.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's get back to Something Dumb one of you posted. Who here loving thinks Sikhs are exempt from the hindu caste system?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's like literally nine keystrokes in google to look up s-i-k-h c-a-s-t-e

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So this has nothing to do with Canadian politics but do any of you guys in Vancouver know if the Pottery Barn has those hydrocotton towels?

I'm going to ikea tomorrow for cheap lovely furniture and also meatballs and would like to get some super soft towels, and the internet tells me those ones are the best, but I don't want to go like an hour out of my way and find out they don't have them if I don't have to.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

HookShot posted:

So this has nothing to do with Canadian politics but do any of you guys in Vancouver know if the Pottery Barn has those hydrocotton towels?

I'm going to ikea tomorrow for cheap lovely furniture and also meatballs and would like to get some super soft towels, and the internet tells me those ones are the best, but I don't want to go like an hour out of my way and find out they don't have them if I don't have to.

Yeah, alright, you win.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Butcher posted:

Throwing a bone to the base for sure, but I suspect they also want to ensure they can leverage out a bigger slice of the pie for themselves.

There's some conspiracy theory speculation that the Liberals are trying to wedge open the door to Vancouver downtown freeway expansion. After all there's no transit expansion coming any time soon...

https://pricetags.wordpress.com/2015/11/03/minister-stone-on-the-viaducts-whats-really-going-on/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

Yeah, alright, you win.

It's me, I have the most boring life.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Cultural Imperial posted:

Let's get back to Something Dumb one of you posted. Who here loving thinks Sikhs are exempt from the hindu caste system?
Okay but what does this have to do with anything? Last time I checked Canada isn't India.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cultural Imperial posted:

It's like literally nine keystrokes in google to look up s-i-k-h c-a-s-t-e

what'd you learn? how does it relate to the partition of india? what about how it relates to canadian ministerial postings?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Sikhs don't have the Varna and explicitly repudiate it but they do have the same traditional ties to the patrilineal jati system that almost all Indian society does, including Muslim and Christian communities. Sikh are supposed to treat all castes equally but in practice intermarriage is still often taboo and there's definitely a hierarchy that exists.They certainly aren't immune to prejudice coming from religion, but it matters a lot more in India than it does here. It's not worse than any of the other dumbshit beliefs of people in Canada.

All sides committed atrocities in the partitioning of Punjab, so I guess just blanket ban Indians from immigrating. Germans too, while we're at it. Who knows how many Nazis we've let in on working holidays. Or maybe just ban then from government? I don't know.

E: Really the go-to for Sikhs should be the Air India bombing. That seems a lot more relevant to the Canadian context than 70 year old atrocities. Sikhs are one of the oldest communities of Immigrants in Canada after Europeans, and Punjabi is actually the third most spoken language in Canada, so having some representation for them seems like a good reflection of Canadian diversity.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 5, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Brannock posted:

Finally tuning in. That giant portrait of the Queen presiding over this is jarring to see as an American. Throw off your shackles, friends.

lol if you think the british crown has any real power over canadian politics. the royal family is kept around so old-stock canadians have something to gossip about whenever one of them has a baby or gets married.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Blind Sally posted:

lol if you think the british crown has any real power over canadian politics. the royal family is kept around so old-stock canadians have something to gossip about whenever one of them has a baby or gets married.

Brannock still has a point. Having all the ministers pledge allegiance to the Queen is still this weird subservience to a family that we're supposed to believe is better than us because God said so. I'd rather they pledge their service to the Canadian people. I really don't value "tradition" as a reason to keep the trappings of feudalism all over our society. Plus imagine when Liz finally dies and all our money will have Charles on it.

I hope Trudeau gets rid of that stupid "Royal" bullshit for the army at least.

E: Forumdammerung appears to be upon us. Stay safe goons.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 5, 2015

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well if that is what you want, you will just have to start to support becoming a republic.

I'm going to be honest, I think there is a narrow window between the Queen and William that it will be feasible.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Interesting that Joyce Murray didn't get a spot considering she's one of the most high profile Liberal women, came second in the leadership race, and was the party's defence critic. I would've loved to see her in democratic reform since she's on record as a big supporter of PR.

There's an eye to the next election here. Joyce Murray is in a safe Liberal seat, whereas Jody Wilson-Raybould is in Vancouver Granville, which was a three way battleground riding, and will likely be one next election as well. It makes sense to put Jody into cabinet so as to make her a more formidable incumbent. It helps that Jody has an amazing resume and is clearly deserving of a cabinet post.

Similarly Delta is a traditionally Conservative area, and that will be a seat the Liberals will want to try to hold. It makes sense to try to create a strong incumbent here as well.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Well if that is what you want, you will just have to start to support becoming a republic.

:troll: wow what the gently caress are you, a Politics 101 prof?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
My solution: have Canada be the queen. Canada is Queen. Therefore, whenever we refer to "Her Majesty" we will be referring to the sovereign entity known as Canada, and not to any one particular person.

That's the only way I can think of solving any lingering connections to the British Royal Family while still retaining our current legal structures: the Governor General, the Crown, etc.

Don't know if it'll work, but it is technically the laziest possible solution that requires the minimum amount of effort.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You just might be on to something!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm only down for this if we do it at the end of Elizabeth's reign so we still have all living generations of Canadians only familiar with Her Majesty as a title so we can keep using it instead of have a male gendered symbolic monarch and also if we replace her portrait with a painting of an anthropomorphicized Canada.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

What's the deal with Dion in foreign affairs? Imagine that limp wristed ponce representing Canada on the world stage.. Embarrassing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Welcome to the Conservative Party?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been bitching about the NDP (along the lines of what Helsing posts about) to my mom, and she sent me this article this morning: http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/glavin-the-ndp-and-the-crisis-on-the-left

quote:

It’s been more than two weeks since Canadians gifted Trudeau with the grand electoral victory that New Democrats had convinced themselves was rightfully theirs, and there is still no sign that anyone in the vote-ravaged ranks of the NDP leadership is capable of even wondering out loud: What the hell happened?

There is no sign of methodical evaluation, serious self-criticism, or intelligent life. Instead, there is a kind of paralysis, a going-through of motions, as though having been reduced from Official Opposition and government-in-waiting to third-party House of Commons rump was such a blow as to have triggered a kind of collective psychotic episode. It was evident the moment polls closed October 19.

Her comment was: did you write this? I'd ask the same of Helsing. Looks like even people on the right are noticing the way the NDP is handling this defeat.

Some other stuff after reflection from yesterday:

- I really hate how the government can create, merge, and split departments on what is essentially a politically motivated whim. I would love to see legislation to prevent that from happening. It's incredibly costly and damaging to the people involved in the actual transitions. It's one thing to have a government in power for a decade and make minor changes along the way, but to come in and rehaul departments that are still in transition from the last government coming in and doing the same thing, is just plain stupid.

- The NCC portfolio is going to someone who isn't from Ottawa (Joly, as minister of heritage). At first glance, I don't like that at all.

- The media is really overplaying the work of the ministers and downplaying the work of the bureaucrats. For example, the Citizen had a piece saying how much of a challenge it will be for the immigration minister to come in and figure out how to get 25000 refugees here in 2 months. It in fact won't be a challenge for him at all. He'll meet with the deputy and say "hey we need 25000 refugees from Syria" and the deputy will say "yeah we know, we're working on it". His input will be to tell the bureaucrats to do it, and to be mad at them if they don't do it. The ministerial role is to set priorities and targets that are actually achievable, and to pick key personnel to help implement them, but the actual work has always been done, and will continue to be done, by the people who are there regardless of the government. (e: also to take the blame in the press if things go badly, which isn't unimportant)

- McKenna was on CBC this morning and really needs to go talk to a speech person about her incredible overuse of the phrase "you know".

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 5, 2015

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

quote:

Good Thursday morning to you.

Although the new Liberal government may be very much in the honeymoon phase, it doesn’t look like anyone’s going to be relaxing.

Hours before being sworn in yesterday, Justin Trudeau walked the empty halls of the Centre Block before making his way to the top of the Peace Tower to raise the Canadian flag with his children.

After the ceremony at Rideau Hall, Government House Leader Dominic Leblanc emerged from the first cabinet meeting last evening and let it be known that Parliament will be recalled Dec. 3 and the Speech from the Throne will be delivered the next day. As well, come Jan.1, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s promised middle class tax cut will be in place, Leblanc said.

In a deliberate, radical departure from standard practice in the Harper government, ministers dispatched in gaggles of three came out to take reporters’ questions following the meeting, though they didn’t have many answers at this early stage.

Earlier, a diverse crowd had greeted them at the Governor General’s residence for their swearing in. Here’s our round-up of who landed where and CTV’s compilation of member bios.

And a deeper dive:

Toronto business leader and philanthropist Bill Morneau becomes minister of finance. Amanda Connolly looks at the new foreign affairs, security and defence team. BJ Siekierski writes that Chrystia Freeland, who has gone from trade critic to trade minister, has some major files on her new desk.

Kelsey Johnson looks at the new agriculture minister, Lawrence MacAulay, and Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo. Mackenzie Scrimshaw looks at Ottawa lawyer Catherine McKenna, the new minister with the crucial new title: environment and climate change. And BJ Siekierski has the amazing story of Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi. As well, former regional AFN chief Jody Wilson-Raybould gets Justice and rising star Mélanie Joly is tapped for Heritage.

At first glance it seems this new cabinet will be more eco-friendly than oil-friendly. And what happened to Industry Canada? Once considered a key cabinet portfolio, it is no more. Trudeau has chosen instead to elevate scientific research.

It’s also besties no more. New Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion says while Israel is a friend, Canada can help more by returning to its honest broker role and improving its relations with other Middle East nations than continuing the policies of the former Conservative government. “The main difference is that we will stop making it a partisan issue,” Dion said. Our Elizabeth Thompson has that story.

And how’s this for a ‘tag team?’ Dion may be Canada’s new top diplomat, but as CP’s Mike Blanchfield notes, he’ll have a formidable partner in Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland — one that could pay dividends in rejuvenating Ottawa’s strained relations with Washington.

Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Carolyn Bennett says the government won’t wait too long before launching a federal inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women. As our Kyle Duggan reports, she didn’t commit to a timeline yesterday, insisting this has to be done right.

As for refugees, newly-minted Immigration Minister John McCallum says keeping a campaign promise to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees remains the Liberal government's goal. He for one isn’t backing away from the Jan. 1 target date.

In non-cabinet related news, there are reports Canadian John Robert Gallagher has been killed while fighting ISIS in Syria. Foreign Affairs says it's aware of the reports and is investigating. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says he was killed when an ISIS militant "detonated himself.”

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair faced his caucus yesterday for the first time since their thumping and afterwards said the party deserves credit for getting the Conservatives out of government. "I think the NDP formed the only real opposition Mr. Harper ever had to face and that's one of the reasons we were able to defeat him.” Right. Is Tom aware of the small shindig that went down at Rideau Hall earlier in the day?

In Quebec, Premier Philippe Couillard has handed Fannie Lafontaine, a lawyer, professor and author, the task of overseeing a Montreal police probe into allegations of abuse by Sûreté du Québec officers. As CBC reports, many First Nations chiefs feel that the government should have included them in the decision-making process.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, Premier Paul Davis is expected to pop by to see the lieutenant-governor this afternoon, formally kicking off the provincial election campaign. Voters go to the polls on Nov. 30.

Here and there:
  • Newly elected Members of the 42nd Parliament participate in an administrative orientation session.
  • Conservative MPs are expected to vote for an interim leader during a caucus meeting.
  • The CRTC holds a public hearing to review the structure and mandate of the commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services.
  • Hydro One shares are expected to go on sale on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
  • Former prime minister Brian Mulroney will address the Albany Club in Toronto at a special dinner marking the end of year-long celebrations to recognize the 200th anniversary of the birth of Sir John A. Macdonald.
  • Alberta Premier Rachel Notley delivers state-of-the-province address.
  • The Canadian Union of Public Employees holds its national convention in Vancouver. Through Nov. 6.

British and U.S. officials now believe the Russian jetliner that crashed in the Egyptian desert may have been brought down by a bomb. Intercepted communications played a role in the tentative conclusion that the Islamic State group's Sinai affiliate planted an explosive device on the plane. That’s prompted Britain to suspend flights to and from the Sinai Peninsula indefinitely.

In a surprise move, Romania’s prime minister Victor Ponta has quit after thousands of people took to the streets to protest over a nightclub fire that killed 32 people. Demonstrators complained about government corruption and poor safety supervision.

Maldives President Abdulla Yameen Gayoom has declared a state of emergency, giving sweeping powers to security forces to arrest suspects ahead of a major anti-government protest rally. Here’s the crisis explained in 60 seconds.

In Featured Opinion:
  • Here's Susan Delacourt describing the steep learning curve facing the greener MPs now in charge of the more powerful ministries. "More than half of the ministers in the new Trudeau government are rookie MPs, and a significant number of them have been thrown right into the deep end with major departments to oversee. It may be the most striking feature of this new cabinet overall."
  • Trudeau himself has a very busy few months ahead of him on the diplomatic front. Jonathan Manthorpe explains why the PM should resist the temptation to stick close to home as his new government finds its feet.
  • Finally, here's The Tyee's Murray Dobbin on how Canada's major newspapers proved during the election campaign — through their endorsement of the Conservatives — that they have now completely lost touch with what remains of their readership.

And finally, think you could be the next Chris Hadfield? You’re in luck. NASA is looking for a few new astronauts.

Have yourself a great day.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

- The NCC portfolio is going to someone who isn't from Ottawa (Joly, as minister of heritage). At first glance, I don't like that at all.

I'm trying to keep an open mind. The NCC is known for its dictatorial tone and the "well too drat bad for you" attitude it takes with local politicians. Having someone who's never been exposed to the weird relationship between city hall and the NCC could be a good thing, kinda like how Manitoba and Saskatchewan forces actively recruit cops from places that don't border on reserves.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Harjit Sajjan, our new Minister of Defence, everybody:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
your new defense minister's beard owns

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

If Trudeau needs somebody to follow him around in public and whisper "you're just a man" to him every once in a while, I'll do it for a meager salary.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
So in :quebec: news, our Minister Letaio has announced a landmark decision in patient rights.
Accessory fees will not be taxable :suicide:
gently caress this government. The guy earlier talking about how Drs Barette and Couillard were doing their best to undermine the Canada Health Act is 100% in the right.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I wonder if joining the NDP and trying to reform it from within is a viable strategy? I heard party insiders have a way of keeping the dissent down and ensuring the status quo remains.

Wtf? Why do I have a Bonzi Buddy avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

You look like a garbage dick to me, Kraftwerk :confused:

Nine of Eight posted:

So in :quebec: news, our Minister Letaio has announced a landmark decision in patient rights.
Accessory fees will not be taxable :suicide:
gently caress this government. The guy earlier talking about how Drs Barette and Couillard were doing their best to undermine the Canada Health Act is 100% in the right.

So how does that work exactly: You go to a clinic (what kind; walk-in or specialist?) in Quebec, they do a procedure to you and they charge you a service fee? Is this why I can't get anywhere near an Appletree after 10 AM because the waiting rooms are packed with Quebeckers, which I totally don't mind because they have the same right to health care as I do but it's weird that they have to come here to get it.