Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

syscall girl posted:

So wait, the radio show never gave it away? Assholes.

I am on iOS so can't listen to the soundcloud or I'd throw in a guess.

What I meant is that no one has guessed the sound yet. There's been, like.... 30 guesses. It's only a 1 second clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xzoto1 posted:

What I meant is that no one has guessed the sound yet. There's been, like.... 30 guesses. It's only a 1 second clip.

Yeah but the radio station just left it hanging for however long it's been now? What kind of quiz show are they running?

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but the radio station just left it hanging for however long it's been now? What kind of quiz show are they running?

It's a contest. It's up to $16,000.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Edit: deleted- I discovered a thread better suited for this question

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
idk but there are def falling chips in the background, I can't place it exactly but I'd bet it's something you'd hear in Vegas.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is there any way to change my location on Facebook (the iOS app, specifically) without creating a "moved" life event? Googling suggests that everybody else in the history of man has had precisely the opposite problem.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Stupid newbie web server question:

I'm looking at a log file for a Windows web server, and there's something that is almost continually trying to hit an old page that no longer exists on the site.

The log entries look like this:

015-11-02 00:02:53 xx.x.x.53 GET /start - 443 - xxx.xx.xx.83 curl/7.24.0+(i386-pc-win32)+libcurl/7.24.0+OpenSSL/1.0.0g 404 0 0 15

IP addressed mostly X-ed out for anonymity.

The IP address ending in .83 is the IP for the VPC NAT in this company's Amazon Cloud Web Services (where the website also lives.)

Am I correct in saying that these requests are being made by some PC connecting in through that VPC, which is executing a curb/libcurl script?

Unless you've changed the logging settings, that's the field where the user agent gets written. That can be made to say about anything without too much effort so it's difficult to be certain, but I'd say your guess is reasonable barring any evidence to the contrary.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
We have a light cockroach infestation in our duplex apartment, and aside from the main bullshit that's coming along with it (neighbors not responding to our questions about their situation and not putting down any bait, etc), we are trying to control the population. We're using the super highly-rated gel bait that's sold everywhere (Advion brand), and keeping the apartment spotless, and it's working well. They keep coming back (presumably because of the neighbors) but the number has gone down since using the bait.

The small/stupid question has to do with the pets' water bowl. We read that we should not have ANY sitting water in the apartment for the roaches to get into and drink (we have these little black ones that seem to especially love water), and the only thing that we're having trouble with is the water bowl. We work normal hours, so we have one of those self-filling bowls out for the pets to use while we're away. We've seen dead roaches, roach eggs, and baby roaches swimming around in there. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do to prevent having the water open for business and not dehydrate our pets?

Jerry Seinfeld fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 3, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can cockroaches climb petroleum jelly? I'd try putting a ring of that around the base of the bowl to keep them out. It works on bedbugs when the water is the blood filled sack of your sleeping body and the bowl is your bed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Diatomaceous earth, maybe? Bugs don't like to go across it for various reasons, and it's non-toxic so it won't make your dogs sick (it even comes in food grade varieties I think). They might make a mess with it though, so I'm not sure how practical it would be.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you have cats let a faucet drip and they can drink from that. For dogs just clean the toilet and leave the lid up.

Also, in a duplex your cause is hopeless if the neighbors are not onboard.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

bunnielab posted:

Also, in a duplex your cause is hopeless if the neighbors are not onboard.

Yeah, that's the main problem honestly. In my state, it's the landlord's responsibility to exterminate roaches in a duplex, so we're probably going to have to get the law involved if the downstairs neighbors don't comply. There's some time restrictions and inspections that need to be done, so I just want to make the place as livable as possible before forcing the landlord to bomb the place (especially since my roommate is mildly allergic to roaches).

I was thinking about putting the bait behind the bowl so the pets can't get to it, but I don't know if the roaches will go straight for that or not. I figure it won't hurt. Thank y'all for the suggestions.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

bvoid posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do to prevent having the water open for business and not dehydrate our pets?

You can get some fairly sizable hamster cage style bottles that should provide enough water for your pets to make it through the day.

Amazon lists one for $10 and prime shipping Lixit Corporation DW-44 No Drip Dog Top-Fill Water Bottle, 44-Ounce, Assorted Colors

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, do dogs get DOMS?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I have this free app that lets me make phone calls and text even without 4g internet called textMe.

For the past few months I've been getting texts telling me that Jehovah wants me to do stuff like forgive or whatever followed by a large incomprehensible string of emojis.

I just noticed that I'm getting them from multiple phone numbers. Has anyone else seen this?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

syscall girl posted:

So I have this free app that lets me make phone calls and text even without 4g internet called textMe.

For the past few months I've been getting texts telling me that Jehovah wants me to do stuff like forgive or whatever followed by a large incomprehensible string of emojis.

I just noticed that I'm getting them from multiple phone numbers. Has anyone else seen this?

They sold your info to advertisers.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

They sold your info to advertisers.

Jehovah's witnesses buy phone numbers to text random people?

That's weird.

I don't get any other ad texts or calls on that number.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Jehovah's witnesses buy phone numbers to text random people?

That's weird.

I don't get any other ad texts or calls on that number.

You've got to bear witness, man.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Try texting back "stop" to them. That worked to cut off a bunch of automatic sales texts I was getting back when i had my old phone number. And if they're not automated, you might get an aggressive conversation with a crazy person. Which also happened.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Two more questions:

(1) is there a way to get the GMail app on iOS to default to showing the full email address of the sender, rather than their name? Having to click "Show Details" every time is irritating, and obviously it's a security hole not to verify that the sender is who they say they are.

(2) I'm in the market for a wireless presenting pointer. Where should I ask for recommendations? I need a laser pointer and the ability to move back and forth between slides (they don't even need to be the same object, but it would be nice), and there are enough devices like that on the market that I am having a hard time sifting through them all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

Two more questions:

(1) is there a way to get the GMail app on iOS to default to showing the full email address of the sender, rather than their name? Having to click "Show Details" every time is irritating, and obviously it's a security hole not to verify that the sender is who they say they are.

(2) I'm in the market for a wireless presenting pointer. Where should I ask for recommendations? I need a laser pointer and the ability to move back and forth between slides (they don't even need to be the same object, but it would be nice), and there are enough devices like that on the market that I am having a hard time sifting through them all.

Just grab the Logitech R400. I have the R800 and it's sweet but I don't think you need the green laser or vibrating timer or other features.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We went with R800s at work because we're often giving presentations in lovely mining buildings in the middle of the desert, where it's hard to get a decent projector or a darkened room, but the R400 is perfectly fine and about 40% cheaper if you're in a proper office.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just found out that there is a type of computer memory called ECC memory which suffers fewer memory errors thank to a self-correcting mechanism. They are used in applications where errors are unacceptable. If I were to use ECC memory for a gaming rig, would my game suffer fewer glitches?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I have a microsoft word file and the last like 10 pages are not showing up. They show up in search results and clearly exist, but I can't scroll down to them. Any ideas?

edit: They show up in 'full screen reading' layout, but not when I convert to pdf.

edit2: Figured it out, there was some sort of wrapped text causing a problem. Can't believe Word's solution is to disappear 25% of the document for anyone not using word 2013.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 4, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Huntersoninski posted:

Try texting back "stop" to them. That worked to cut off a bunch of automatic sales texts I was getting back when i had my old phone number. And if they're not automated, you might get an aggressive conversation with a crazy person. Which also happened.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

I just found out that there is a type of computer memory called ECC memory which suffers fewer memory errors thank to a self-correcting mechanism. They are used in applications where errors are unacceptable. If I were to use ECC memory for a gaming rig, would my game suffer fewer glitches?

I'm not sure what you mean by glitches. If you mean memory related errors like crashing to your desktop or failing to load assets, maybe. Game "glitches" are usually caused by bugs in the code related to things like your hardware and also, usually, unique conditions in the game that the developer couldn't predict and code for. Using different types of memory might stop some bugs or cause more, nobody can really know, but most of the bugs you experience are probably related to coding in the game and not hardware.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

No.

It's also outrageously expensive

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Methanar posted:

No.

It's also outrageously expensive

It is expensive and a lot of motherboards will not work with ECC memory. But No it will not stop "glitches" that are caused by poor programming.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by glitches. If you mean memory related errors like crashing to your desktop or failing to load assets, maybe. Game "glitches" are usually caused by bugs in the code related to things like your hardware and also, usually, unique conditions in the game that the developer couldn't predict and code for. Using different types of memory might stop some bugs or cause more, nobody can really know, but most of the bugs you experience are probably related to coding in the game and not hardware.

Depends if he is gaming in outer space or not. We need more info.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I have some relatively rough-cut pine crates, and I want to fill them with dirt and use them as planters. Is there a safe/easy way to treat them so that they don't rot out in like 6 months? I'd also like to not be poisoned since these will be for veggies.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

I have some relatively rough-cut pine crates, and I want to fill them with dirt and use them as planters. Is there a safe/easy way to treat them so that they don't rot out in like 6 months? I'd also like to not be poisoned since these will be for veggies.

There is likely a non toxic sealant that would work, I think most water based poly sealants would be fine but a I would have no idea how to tell for sure.

Depending on the size of the crates you could rub melted wax into the wood to waterproof them. This could be a huge pain though. Maybe line them with plastic and accept having to replace the bottoms every few years?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

bunnielab posted:

There is likely a non toxic sealant that would work, I think most water based poly sealants would be fine but a I would have no idea how to tell for sure.

Depending on the size of the crates you could rub melted wax into the wood to waterproof them. This could be a huge pain though. Maybe line them with plastic and accept having to replace the bottoms every few years?

Hey wax is a great idea, thank you. They are pretty small.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm curious about the difference in the time of sunset between my city and a city 350km east of me.

I worked out 12.4 minutes difference.

I took 360 degrees of the earths rotation per 24 hours. That gives me 15 degrees per hour or about 4 minutes per degree of rotation.

The earth's circumference is 40,075km or about 111.3 km per degree.

350/111.3 for 3.1 degrees of earth distance between me and my distant city.

3.1*4 = 12.4 minutes.

Can someone sanity check this for me?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Methanar posted:

I'm curious about the difference in the time of sunset between my city and a city 350km east of me.

I worked out 12.4 minutes difference.

I took 360 degrees of the earths rotation per 24 hours. That gives me 15 degrees per hour or about 4 minutes per degree of rotation.

The earth's circumference is 40,075km or about 111.3 km per degree.

350/111.3 for 3.1 degrees of earth distance between me and my distant city.

3.1*4 = 12.4 minutes.

Can someone sanity check this for me?
Unless you're on the equator, you messed up by forgetting that longitude gets narrower in linear distance as you go away from the equator. For instance:

The town about 350 kilometers to the west of my city had their sunset at 4:51 PM today, while over here it was at 4:34 PM. That's a 17 minute difference, and we're at about 42.3 degrees north latitude, and we're about 4.3 degrees longitude separated while being 350 kilometers separated.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Baldbeard posted:

Lacquer would also be a good choice, several types of lacquer are nontoxic and biodegradable, I think there's even some spray-on types that would make the work pretty quick and simple.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So supposedly I'm the go-to guy for this poo poo for a friend of mine: what's the best/easiest-for-someone-who-isn't-super-computer-savvy bittorrent client? I can't recommend what I'm using (an old version of utorrent before they went all mal-warey).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MisterBibs posted:

So supposedly I'm the go-to guy for this poo poo for a friend of mine: what's the best/easiest-for-someone-who-isn't-super-computer-savvy bittorrent client? I can't recommend what I'm using (an old version of utorrent before they went all mal-warey).

Qbittorrent has been my go-to ever since u went to poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

Then buy some paraffin and in a double boiler, melt it and use a cheap paint brush to work it into the wood, then buff off with a rag when it cools. You have to work fast and heating the wood with a paint gun or hair dryer as you go will help it sink in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Total longshot, but. Anyone who uses the Youtube app on a Roku or PS4 or whatever, have you noticed that when you go to your Saved Playlists it only shows a dozen of them without any option to see the rest? Is there a fix for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

syscall girl posted:

So wait, the radio show never gave it away? Assholes.

I am on iOS so can't listen to the soundcloud or I'd throw in a guess.

xzoto1 posted:

It was chips being poured into a metal bowl.

Somebody won $18k.

http://www.z953.ca/contests/z-fx.aspx